[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

The key to this season is individual improvement
Author Thread
Dano
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #69
8/14/2001  12:37 PM
Sure, I may be grasping at straws due to management's questionable decisions, but I think that this team can make it alot further than
mostly everyone thinks.

Camby and Thomas are definitely on the upswings of their careers. Both of them tore it up at the end of last season. If they can both stay healthy I think that they can be an extremely productive frontcourt duo. While they both have different games, I think that it's reasonable to say that both of them can average 15ppg and 10rpg.

Of course, I love Spree and he is the Knicks' best player, but hopefully he scores more consistently especially in the first half.

Allan is the x factor. If he can be more aggressive and not pull the disappearing acts, then the Knicks will prosper.

I think that JVG is going to start Mark Jackson this year. Im hoping
that a full year w the Knicks will help NY's prodigal son avg 9 apg.
AUTOADVERT
Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
8/14/2001  12:46 PM
Very good points. I think we have a good mix of veteran leadership and youth and thats what will carry us. If team stay almost the same over an off-season, that just means their chemistry will improve and the team will gel together. That's what going on in our team's case. All we have left to do is maybe trade Ward for a center(Miller, Foyle, Ostertag, White, Geiger, etc..) and maybe deal Harrington and/or Knight for a pick or two. We will be in good shape after that.
nyknyg
Member: #77
USA
8/14/2001  12:51 PM
you are right about one thing about houston being the x factor. if Houston can just stay in the game around 40 minutes a game, avg about 20 shots a game, and more if he's hot that night, then the knicks can be good. sprewell can't hog the ball like he did last year. if it's just not his night, give other people the ball... he can get it in the low post, and open shots. and camby and thomas both have to do their scoring in the paint, ie, put backs, tap ins, and open jump shots 8-15 feet. if we can get the offensive rebounds, and limit the other teams offensive rebounds by having sprewell and houston helping out with that, then they'll be in good shape. but if we can pull off a big trade, like trading sprewell and thomas/harrington for rasheed wallace, i think that should happen too, because rasheed wallace can make up for thomas, and you can start weatherspoon/anderson/johson at small foward
NyC, LeS NyG, NyK
Andrew
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #1
USA
8/14/2001  1:00 PM
Posted by nyknyg:

. sprewell can't hog the ball like he did last year. if it's just not his night, give other people the ball...

I don't know if I'd characterize Spree as a ball hog. He is agressive and confident that he can score. That, combined with Allan Houstons lack of agressiveness and confidence in his game led to the difference in attempts last season. I remember quite a number of times where Allan would have a play called for him, attempt to get a shot off...be stopped, and pass the ball out with limited time on the shot clock. This I think led to more shots for Spree.
PURE KNICKS LOVE
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
8/14/2001  1:06 PM
Posted by Dano:

Allan is the x factor. If he can be more aggressive and not pull the disappearing acts, then the Knicks will prosper.

I tell you what, I think JVG will be the X factor this year, with Camby being a close second. The Knicks have a ton of assets - both on the offense and defense, and heck, off the bench too - and it may come down to how Jeff implements the offense. We all know that NY plays solid D, now if they can only get a defensive rebound (Camby) and run a bit more, that could be the key to a good regular season and a good seed into the playoffs.
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
Dano
8/14/2001  1:10 PM
Jerry Stackhouse is a ballhog. You really put Spree in that same category?
nyknyg
USA
8/14/2001  1:23 PM
not as in jerry stackhouse, he is forced to shoot it because he's the only option on the team. i can say the same for iverson. sprewell is in the same catagory in the sense that he is not the primary option, yet when he struggles, he doesn't do anything to help the knicks like giving it off to houston, camby or whoever. if you look at sprewells assists numbers, it's kind of low. i know houston doesn't have any assists either, but sprewell should develop better ball handling skills. i'm not tryin to dis sprewell, coz he's my second favorite player next to RICE, but if you think about it, and the games that you watch him in where he struggles, he doesn't do much.
NyC, LeS NyG, NyK
Andrew
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #1
USA
8/14/2001  1:29 PM
Posted by nyknyg:

[On Spree...] the games that you watch him in where he struggles, he doesn't do much.

I always see Spree playing good D regardless how he is playing on offense. Your description sounds 100% like Allan Houston. Are you sure you aren't getting them mixed up?
PURE KNICKS LOVE
LarrythaLeo
Member: #71
USA
8/14/2001  1:36 PM
Posted by nyknyg:

coz he's my second favorite player next to RICE
what?
nyknyg
USA
8/14/2001  2:44 PM
allan houston doesn't defend period. my point was that sprewell needs to give the ball off more. if he's the heart and soul of the team, he needs do whats good for the team. on the nights that he can't score, he should be givin it up for other people. when he's 2 for 14, i think he should just stop shooting.
NyC, LeS NyG, NyK
Caseloads
Member: #41
8/14/2001  4:23 PM
Posted by nyknyg:

allan houston doesn't defend period. my point was that sprewell needs to give the ball off more. if he's the heart and soul of the team, he needs do whats good for the team. on the nights that he can't score, he should be givin it up for other people. when he's 2 for 14, i think he should just stop shooting.
2 for 14? he's not john starks. now that player sucks. i hate john starks. during an old playoff series versus Indy, he brought his GOLF clubs on a road trip. That's when I knew he had no heart.
Dano
8/17/2001  2:13 PM
John Starks has no heart? You're absolutely wrong. Throughout his career with the Knicks, he played with a desire to win and competetiveness to the utmost.

You can say that he's a streaky shooter and that he plays out of control sometimes, but to say that he doesn't have heart is ignorance.

Caseloads
8/17/2001  3:46 PM
Posted by nyknyg:

you are right about one thing about houston being the x factor. if Houston can just stay in the game around 40 minutes a game, avg about 20 shots a game, and more if he's hot that night, then the knicks can be good. sprewell can't hog the ball like he did last year. if it's just not his night, give other people the ball... he can get it in the low post, and open shots. and camby and thomas both have to do their scoring in the paint, ie, put backs, tap ins, and open jump shots 8-15 feet. if we can get the offensive rebounds, and limit the other teams offensive rebounds by having sprewell and houston helping out with that, then they'll be in good shape. but if we can pull off a big trade, like trading sprewell and thomas/harrington for rasheed wallace, i think that should happen too, because rasheed wallace can make up for thomas, and you can start weatherspoon/anderson/johson at small foward
portland doesn't need another SF/SG
Caseloads
8/17/2001  3:49 PM
Posted by Dano:

John Starks has no heart? You're absolutely wrong. Throughout his career with the Knicks, he played with a desire to win and competetiveness to the utmost.

You can say that he's a streaky shooter and that he plays out of control sometimes, but to say that he doesn't have heart is ignorance.

Well, he used to have heart, but someone (Jordan, Reggie Miller) tore it out and handed it to him too many times, and after that playoff series, I realized that he lost his heart along the way.
Knixkik
USA
8/17/2001  3:56 PM
I always thought of Starks as a less talented Latrell Sprewell. Both are slashers and streak shooters(though Starks is probably a better shooter), both were/are the secondary heart of the Knicks(behind Ewing when he was around), and both were/are fan favorites. I'm just glad we were able to trade Starks and extras for Spree. We'd be in trouble if we didn't. Also can you imagine that Spree was originally almost sent to the Spurs? Yikes!
Dano
8/17/2001  5:30 PM
Sure, Jordan and Miller torched Starks, but they torched everyone!
He left it all on the floor when guarding those two.

I love Starks, but trading him, Chris Mills and Terry Cummings for Spree was in my opinion on of the best trades in the last 10 years.
Knixkik
USA
8/18/2001  5:25 PM
Agreed, you can't find a better trade then that. The only thing you have to remember is new york was taking a gamble at a trouble-maker. But this situation was the perfect one for Spree and the Knicks and it couldn't of worked out any better. Spree's gone from a troubled superstar to a team leader and class act while he still maintains his unbelievable skills. You have to respect a guy who takes his second chance and makes a whole new reputation for himself.
The key to this season is individual improvement

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy