[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

give isiah his props courtesy of broussard
Author Thread
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
9/20/2005  4:10 PM
Give Isiah his props

Remember Spike Lee's classic NBA commercial that featured rookie LeBron James in a baby carriage? Well, Spike's work has become a much-looked-forward-to annual event, and I attended the shooting of some of this year's commercials last week.

I won't give it all away, but Ali G, HBO's British hip hopper, is in the spots, and he's hilarious. Also, Reggie Miller will join TNT's studio staff of Sir Charles, Kenny Smith and Ernie Johnson. The foursome was in some of the shots with Ali G, and judging by the off-camera banter between Barkley and Miller, those two should provide some priceless commentary on the show.

The key is for Miller to be himself and speak his mind like Barkley does. When they discussed LeBron and other guys in the league in between takes, they had some riveting disagreements and each made strong points. Hopefully, they'll keep it real like that on the air this season.

Shaq and D Wade were the only players I saw, and though I talked to both of them, I won't write about it in this space because I've been giving the Heat way too much pub. I'll just leave you with this quote from Shaq and move on: "Anything less than a championship this season would be uncivilized.''

Spike, running things from the director's chair, was hyped. He rolled up on me smiling like Mars Blackmon while screaming, "Nate Robinson! Nate Robinson!''

Spike's feeling good about his Knicks again, and you've got to give him mad credit. I covered the Knicks during those lean, post-Jeff Van Gundy years, and I watched celebrity row dwindle to almost nothing. P-Diddy, LL, Seinfeld, Star Jones -- they all stopped coming.

But Spike stayed put, sitting there in the front row in some blue and orange Nikes and an oversized Sprewell jersey. Through all the drubbings -- I actually witnessed them get stomped by 43 on MLK Day -- Spike was there. He's a true fan, so I'm glad he's got something to get happy about.

Happy about? You say. I know the Knicks aren't contending for anything but the 8th playoff spot this year, but I think Isiah Thomas deserves props for at least making the team relevant and exciting again.

When he took over for Scott Layden, the Knicks were an absolute disaster, with a roster full of marginal players making star dollars. Just about every executive in the league thought the Knicks were stuck with a bunch of immovable players. But Isiah has changed almost the entire roster in less than two seasons. That was no easy chore.

Granted, he's brought together a lot of talent at the same positions (1, 2 and 3), but his plan is to collect assets and then try and use them to trade for a top-flight 4 or 5 man. Looks like he's in the hunt for Eddy Curry, who isn't exactly top-flight -- or safe (heart condition) -- but hey, it would be an upgrade.

At least Isiah's Knicks have some street cred. I remember a few years ago B.I. (Before Isiah) when a Knicks exec said to me, "Can you believe this? We're in the mecca of playground basketball and we've got the least amount of street cred in the league.'' That's when Keith Van Horn, Michael Doleac and Howard Eisley were key cogs in the Knicks' attack.

Now, with Starbury, Jamal Crawford, Quentin Richardson, Trevor Ariza, and Nate Rob, the Knicks once again get love and respect down at the Rucker. Little Nate Rob might even win the dunk contest this season. Write it down.

Insiders tell me the Knicks can't wait for Nate Rob to get in Steph's jock during training camp. Certainly no one expects him to challenge Steph for his spot, but while he's the best player on the team, Steph ain't exactly the hardest working man on the practice court (so I hear). Folks know Nate will be in Steph's grill and won't be punked into backing down. Should be fun to watch, not to mention make Steph even sharper than usual.

After this season -- or during this season -- Isiah will have some valuable trade bait in Tim Thomas, Penny Hardaway, Maurice Taylor and Allan Houston, all of whom are nearing the end of lucrative contracts. And Houston -- one of my favorites -- might actually be able to contribute on the court again.

He's been working out all summer and his J is as pure as ever -- at a recent practice, he drained 17 straight 3s from the top of the key. He's supposed to start training camp, so if he's healthy, he could help a lot. Don't forget, if he hadn't been unable to play, the Knicks probably would have been in the playoffs last year.

Then, of course, there's Larry Brown.

So yeah, at best the Knicks are first-round playoff fodder for one the Eastern kingpins, but they'll still put on a good show at the Garden. Celebrity row is getting live again, with Jay Z, Fat Joe and others making regular appearances. The same could not be said during the last few dismal Layden years.

So go ahead Spike, get hyped. Enjoy it while it lasts -- which should be about 87, 88 games.

For a nice, in-depth look at how the Knicks' downfall began, check out Howard Beck's article in today's New York Times.
AUTOADVERT
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
9/20/2005  4:32 PM
well.. this is the good side of it all. I do hope Larry isnt afraid to go small and let em run.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
9/20/2005  4:39 PM
Nice take. WE write the same stuff here in the posts!

Im getting weary of the hype and heighted expectations.

Sure the team is relevent, but its gonna be a climb and have some down moments. I hope the faithful are ready and patient!
firefly
Alba Posts: 17
Member: #721
United Kingdom
9/20/2005  4:49 PM
Posted by Nalod:

Sure the team is relevent, but its gonna be a climb and have some down moments. I hope the faithful are ready and patient!

Weary?

This is the first piece of positive hype I've seen in the media yet!
Some men see things as they are and ask why. I dream things that never were and ask why not?
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
9/20/2005  5:11 PM
Posted by firefly:
Posted by Nalod:

Weary?

This is the first piece of positive hype I've seen in the media yet!

IN the media? Yeah your right. I guess when a newspaper article starts sounding like us, its scarey time!

knixphan
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #258
Switzerland
9/20/2005  6:23 PM
Yeah, I'm sure even the media gets tired of pessimism from time to time...but just wait for the first back-to-back losses and one of the hometown rags will throw 'LOSERS' up on the back page... I have to appreciate Spike for consistency - he always inspired me, since I'm a transplant (and always rooting for the nyk in hostile territory.)

"I will dress in bright and cheery colors, and so throw my enemies into confusion."
Marv
Alba Posts: 69
Member: #315
9/20/2005  7:04 PM
Posted by knixphan:

Yeah, I'm sure even the media gets tired of pessimism from time to time...but just wait for the first back-to-back losses and one of the hometown rags will throw 'LOSERS' up on the back page... I have to appreciate Spike for consistency - he always inspired me, since I'm a transplant (and always rooting for the nyk in hostile territory.)

they're hostile to the knicks in switzerland????

i thought they were famous for being neutral.

nixluva
Member: #758
USA
9/20/2005  7:04 PM
Well I think this is a very fair article, unlike so many of the other ones that just repeat the same old tired cliche's about the Knicks being over the cap and headed nowhere. None of them seem to have noticed that the avg age on this team has dropped to about 26 yrs of age. That's amazing considering the fact that we are always spoken of as having an old team. That avg age will go down even further over the next 2 years as we shed some of these vets.

This team really is in a much better place than before IT. I think this year the Knicks will be a 2nd rd. team mainly because I don't think they'll be an 8th seed.
knixphan
Member: #258
Switzerland
9/20/2005  7:17 PM
Posted by Marv:
Posted by knixphan:

they're hostile to the knicks in switzerland????

i thought they were famous for being neutral.

It's Switzerland of the mind...But the body is in Kobeland. Matter of fact I got a Marbs jersey on today, and caught heat from 3 different people about it - Can't wait for the first Knicks win in Staples!

"I will dress in bright and cheery colors, and so throw my enemies into confusion."
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
9/20/2005  7:45 PM
Im a little surprised people are over-looking Channing Frye so much. Yeah I wanted Bynum for different reasons because I feel Bynum is going to be a franchise 5 as opposed to a solid skilled long/finesse 4 but Im certainly NOT unhappy with Frye -he's got TREMENDOUS offensive skills, but I liken him to a Tayshaun Prince of the PF position. a little light, but he can play long and has incredible touch all over the court. I just weighed what I thought would be more valuable long term and to me it was a no-brainer, but that doesnt mean the player we picked isnt going to be reasonable special in his own right
RIP Crushalot😞
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
9/20/2005  8:34 PM
Posted by BRIGGS:

Im a little surprised people are over-looking Channing Frye so much. Yeah I wanted Bynum for different reasons because I feel Bynum is going to be a franchise 5 as opposed to a solid skilled long/finesse 4 but Im certainly NOT unhappy with Frye -he's got TREMENDOUS offensive skills, but I liken him to a Tayshaun Prince of the PF position. a little light, but he can play long and has incredible touch all over the court. I just weighed what I thought would be more valuable long term and to me it was a no-brainer, but that doesnt mean the player we picked isnt going to be reasonable special in his own right
But during the summer league you called Frye a "bust" because he was getting in foul trouble.

crzymdups
Member: #671
USA
9/20/2005  9:17 PM
Posted by BRIGGS:

I'm excited about Frye.

You know, speaking of draft picks being overlooked, I was looking at Toronto's roster yesterday, and if they can play Charlie V and Bosh and Graham on the frontline, they are going to be good for a lot of years. Combine that with Alston and Rose and Mo Pete and that rookie PG they got in round 2 and they might be better than a lot of people think...

¿ △ ?
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
9/20/2005  9:57 PM
Posted by Bonn1997:

[quote]Posted by BRIGGS:

But during the summer league you called Frye a "bust" because he was getting in foul trouble.

i was a little jumpy because we didnt get the pick i wanted, and all of a sudden our vet rookie is putting up 10-12 fouls in the first half, so anyone emotionally involved with the knicks will overreact to it. but i feel comfortable that channing has an outstanding offensive skills and as long as he doesnt stand 20 feet from the hoop, hes going to score in this league

RIP Crushalot😞
rvhoss
Member: #777
Switzerland
9/20/2005  10:08 PM
what, you said it yesterday.
all kool aid all the time.
tkf
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #87
9/20/2005  10:30 PM
nice write up. I was impressed with Houston 17 straight 3's, I know it is a shoot around but man that is still hard...
Anyone who sits around and waits for the lottery to better themselves, either in real life or in sports, Is a Loser............... TKF
rvhoss
Switzerland
9/20/2005  11:30 PM
sorry BRIGGS, that was TKF that said that yesterday.

He's still down on frye, not you.
http://www.ultimateknicks.com/forum/topic.asp?t=11465
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
9/21/2005  2:31 AM
Posted by BRIGGS:
Posted by Bonn1997:

[quote]Posted by BRIGGS:

i was a little jumpy because we didnt get the pick i wanted, and all of a sudden our vet rookie is putting up 10-12 fouls in the first half, so anyone emotionally involved with the knicks will overreact to it. but i feel comfortable that channing has an outstanding offensive skills and as long as he doesnt stand 20 feet from the hoop, hes going to score in this league
Fair enough. I know you really wanted Bynum. I did too, although not as passionately as you did.

fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
9/21/2005  8:44 AM
you like to see a player with Frye's experiece mop up in the summer league, especially when guys like Diogu and Lampe for that matter were able to dominate.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
Marv
Alba Posts: 69
Member: #315
9/21/2005  8:53 AM
Posted by fishmike:

you like to see a player with Frye's experiece mop up in the summer league, especially when guys like Diogu and Lampe for that matter were able to dominate.

Too easy to read too much into it. It's glorified street ball and often doesn't translate to the real season.

Bosh struggled like crazy in SL AFTER his excellent rookie year in the league.

Skita and Lampe are SL MVP's. Sweets posted MVP numbers in SL after his rookie season.

rvhoss
Switzerland
9/21/2005  9:15 AM
ut oh...fishy is down on the rooks and roster again...should make for a fun week.
give isiah his props courtesy of broussard

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy