[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Yao - is he a bust?
Author Thread
OasisBU
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #257
USA
6/18/2002  4:55 PM
Personally I think he isnt going to impact the game like they have hyped him up to do. Maybe he will be good but I honestly dont think he is going to be all that. Granted if he slipped to 7 I would love the Knicks to gamble on him, but at #1 he seems like a HUGE risk considering the talent available in this draft. What do you guys think?
"If at first you don't succeed, then maybe you just SUCK." Kenny Powers
AUTOADVERT
Andrew
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #1
USA
6/18/2002  5:02 PM
I don't know if there is a real solid number one pick out there...so any player taken first overall could risk disapointment. Jay Williams faltered at the end of the tournament, Gooden was shut down by Wilcox and Maryland, Dunlevy is a questionmark in most poeples minds. With this draft there is a lot of solid talent but no one that is assured of making a big impact right away ala Tim Duncan.
PURE KNICKS LOVE
OasisBU
USA
6/18/2002  5:09 PM
I agree with you there, although I would say that Williams will probably do pretty well in the league regardless of his choking episode - look at what Webber has done in SAC after his infamaous time out. Granted he doesnt want the ball down the stretch sometimes, but they have Bibby and he is about as money as you can get. This draft seems pretty complicated but I am excited about it. I think the Knicks will be fine with Wilcox, Hilario, or Wagner - they are better bets then Yao in my opinion. He hasnt even gone up against NBA players yet - he has no size up top, all he is is height and a jumpshot. We need some bulk, a low post player, and a pontguard that can get us running.

Another ? How do you guys feel about Chaney? I think they did a good job keeping him because there were no showtime coaches on the horizon - the Knicks need a showtime coach to bring back some swagger to this team. It is NY afterall.
BigSm00th
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #178
USA
6/18/2002  5:09 PM
I agree with Andrew, everybody in the lottery will have some question mark on them. The thing that Andrew brought up though, with JWill faltering in the end, I disagree. I have a friend that goes to Duke and my brother's going there next year so I've talked to kids that watch all the games and they all say that he choked on that last play, but the guy is as clutch as can be. He did miss against Florida St. and Indiana, but how about the shot to get him to the line against Indiana. He got the rebound, jumped back and in one motion, falling to the ground made a three while being fouled. It was incredible. Or when he scored like 9 or 10 points in a minute against Maryland 2 years ago to beat them after Duke trailed by 10. I think Williams is the only player in this draft who is a sure thing. His free throw shooting will improve, but to get to the topic, I think that Ming will turn out to be either an incredible bust (for Ming and all his hype, being a bust would be becoming a decent starter) or he'll be great. I don't think he'll be a good player, a borderline All-Star at most. People are talking of him revolutionizing the game and I just don't see that happening.
#Knickstaps
Vmart
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #247
USA
6/18/2002  5:25 PM
Posted by OasisBU:

Another ? How do you guys feel about Chaney? I think they did a good job keeping him because there were no showtime coaches on the horizon - the Knicks need a showtime coach to bring back some swagger to this team. It is NY afterall.

There is a showtime coach out there and thats Cooper if the Knicks are smart they will contact him and get him on the staff as quickly as possible. Cooper was a great defensive player who will preach defense and run and gun just the same as Scott did for the Nets. And he falls in the category of Pat Riley's pupil just like Gundy and Scott.
bigboymumu
Member: #251
6/18/2002  6:07 PM
Oasis-
I guess the others have "gone up" against NBA players. Not a valid point.

MING WILL BE THE BEST CENTER IN THE GAME! Five years from now Ming will be 27. Shaq will be 35. Which other centers are better than him today? He has no competition. The Rockets will be a 7 seed next year. Ming Dynasty may be a possibility. There is no one in this draft that has higher potential than Ming. Knicks know that, Bulls know that, Grizz know that...
bigboymumu
6/18/2002  6:10 PM
Posted by BigSm00th:

I agree with Andrew, everybody in the lottery will have some question mark on them. The thing that Andrew brought up though, with JWill faltering in the end, I disagree. I have a friend that goes to Duke and my brother's going there next year so I've talked to kids that watch all the games and they all say that he choked on that last play, but the guy is as clutch as can be. He did miss against Florida St. and Indiana, but how about the shot to get him to the line against Indiana. He got the rebound, jumped back and in one motion, falling to the ground made a three while being fouled. It was incredible. Or when he scored like 9 or 10 points in a minute against Maryland 2 years ago to beat them after Duke trailed by 10. I think Williams is the only player in this draft who is a sure thing. His free throw shooting will improve, but to get to the topic, I think that Ming will turn out to be either an incredible bust (for Ming and all his hype, being a bust would be becoming a decent starter) or he'll be great. I don't think he'll be a good player, a borderline All-Star at most. People are talking of him revolutionizing the game and I just don't see that happening.

I am not very high on Jay Williams. He is not as ahthletic as the pgs that are known to be scorers and does not have the vision of those that are pure pgs. He reminds me of Matten Cleaves!
BigSm00th
USA
6/18/2002  6:12 PM
True about the no other centers in the L in 5 years. I can think of Duncan, that's it. Centers are a dying breed. And I can see how you think Williams reminds you of Mateen Cleaves, but just look at his workouts in Chicago where he was one of the quickest and fastest guys. He's an athlete, I think he'll do real well. Imagine the Rockets in five years, a peaking Francis and Mobley backcourt, Nachbar or whatever small forward they take at 15, Eddie Griffin (who I think was an absolute steal at 7 last year, he's going to be MVP caliber one day), and Ming. That's going to be phenomenal.

[Edited by - bigsm00th on 06/18/2002 18:15:06]
#Knickstaps
bigboymumu
6/18/2002  6:16 PM
Posted by BigSm00th:

True about the no other centers in the L in 5 years. I can think of Duncan, that's it. Centers are a dying breed. And I can see how you think Williams reminds you of Mateen Cleaves, but just look at his workouts in Chicago where he was one of the quickest and fastest guys. He's an athlete, I think he'll do real well. Imagine the Rockets in five years, a peaking Francis and Mobley backcourt, Nachbar or whatever small forward they take at 15, Eddie Griffin (who I think was an absolute steal at 7 last year, he's going to be MVP caliber one day), and Ming. That's going to be phenomenal.

[Edited by - bigsm00th on 06/18/2002 18:15:06]

I like the way you think Smooth.
BigSm00th
USA
6/18/2002  7:39 PM
Ha, thanks man.
#Knickstaps
bigboymumu
6/18/2002  10:29 PM
One more thing. Officiating is very important in the NBA. Ming brings more fans. More fans bring more pressure. More pressure brings more calls. More calls bring Championships. Just ask the Lakers and the Bulls.
VG
Member: #68
Australia
6/19/2002  12:02 AM
I don't Ming will be a bust, he is way better than Bradley. Ming won't ever be an MVP candidate but I think he'll be a very solid center.
bigboymumu
6/19/2002  12:32 AM
Posted by VG:

I don't Ming will be a bust, he is way better than Bradley. Ming won't ever be an MVP candidate but I think he'll be a very solid center.

I will go out on a limb. If Ming can stay healthy, he will be a MVP and a champion. No matter what team he goes to.
UKDad
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #31
USA
6/19/2002  8:22 AM
Do I hear the sound of a saw in the background and someone falling.. The political side of Ming will probably cause the NBA and the team the finally gets his rights more problems than anything else. The Chinese don't want to let him go and I think that will be the biggest problem for all...
The Old Man of UK...
Vmart
USA
6/19/2002  10:55 AM
Posted by bigboymumu:

One more thing. Officiating is very important in the NBA. Ming brings more fans. More fans bring more pressure. More pressure brings more calls. More calls bring Championships. Just ask the Lakers and the Bulls.

Wow! someone who thinks like me. Thats why its important to have superstars. They get the calls when they want them. Ming will be a good player in the League. He will average 18pts 10 reb easily in his rookie season.

I totally agree about the refs they suck in the NBA. NBA & NBC as much as I love the game has been fixing games to get the best match up or the biggest draw from rating. I think this year it back fired in their face they shouldn't have given the Lakers game 6 of the Kings-Lakers series. That robbery was right up there with the 1972 Olympics.
BigSm00th
USA
6/19/2002  12:13 PM
I think 18 and 10 is a bit absurd considering the Rockets are going to have to adjust to his style of play. Griffin is going to get more touches this year because he's improved, Rice will be back slowing everyone down, and Francis and Mobley shoot a ton, it's not like the offense is going through a rookie who's never played in the NBA. I think he might average something like 12 and 8, but 18 and 10 is border line all-star numbers and I just don't see him adapting that quickly.

Can somebody explain the 72 Olympics? I keep seeing commercials for this show on HBO about how the US was robbed but I've never really heard about it. What exactly happened?
#Knickstaps
OasisBU
USA
6/19/2002  1:00 PM
Man I watched the special last night with my brother - I couldnt believe it. The US bball squad was robbed of the gold. The Soviet team fouled and the US team made 2 shots - but they called for a timeout inbetween the shots - however the ball had been handed to the player and was "in play" so they didnt get the T/O. Then they had 3 seconds to play, inbound the ball and get a T/O with 1 second to go. Then some guy who is the international commissioner comes down to the court, signals 3 seconds, and gives them the ball back with extra time. Meanwhile the refs who are in charge of the game dont do a damn thing. So the Soviet team inbounds and misses. But it gets called back again - apparently the warning sound they have for the clock went off as soon as it was inbounded saying the clock was messed up. Back then they had to reset it by hand. So they get yet ANOTHER chance to inbound and win. They then tell the American player guarding the inbounds pass that he has to move back, which I dont understand and the ref now refutes he said anything. The Soviets make a lob across the court and the US player guarding him falls to the floor claiming he was pushed, Spviets make the bucket - win the gold. Basically it was all a bunch of confusion.
Vmart
USA
6/19/2002  1:05 PM
Posted by OasisBU:

Man I watched the special last night with my brother - I couldnt believe it. The US bball squad was robbed of the gold. The Soviet team fouled and the US team made 2 shots - but they called for a timeout inbetween the shots - however the ball had been handed to the player and was "in play" so they didnt get the T/O. Then they had 3 seconds to play, inbound the ball and get a T/O with 1 second to go. Then some guy who is the international commissioner comes down to the court, signals 3 seconds, and gives them the ball back with extra time. Meanwhile the refs who are in charge of the game dont do a damn thing. So the Soviet team inbounds and misses. But it gets called back again - apparently the warning sound they have for the clock went off as soon as it was inbounded saying the clock was messed up. Back then they had to reset it by hand. So they get yet ANOTHER chance to inbound and win. They then tell the American player guarding the inbounds pass that he has to move back, which I dont understand and the ref now refutes he said anything. The Soviets make a lob across the court and the US player guarding him falls to the floor claiming he was pushed, Spviets make the bucket - win the gold. Basically it was all a bunch of confusion.

That was well summarized. But the soviets in my mind never won the gold. And the US team to this date haven't collected the silver medal which I agree with totally since they won the gold.
Vmart
USA
6/19/2002  1:09 PM
Posted by BigSm00th:

I think 18 and 10 is a bit absurd considering the Rockets are going to have to adjust to his style of play. Griffin is going to get more touches this year because he's improved, Rice will be back slowing everyone down, and Francis and Mobley shoot a ton, it's not like the offense is going through a rookie who's never played in the NBA. I think he might average something like 12 and 8, but 18 and 10 is border line all-star numbers and I just don't see him adapting that quickly.

Can somebody explain the 72 Olympics? I keep seeing commercials for this show on HBO about how the US was robbed but I've never really heard about it. What exactly happened?

You gotta watch the on HBO it something all Basketball fans should watch, it will make you sick to the stomach one minute the US team is jumping because they win and the next thing you know they steal away their victory. Doug Collins was a big time player probably hit the most important free throws in US basketball history.
Yao - is he a bust?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy