OT the jets sign CB ty law
Author Thread
nykbasketball
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #862
USA
8/9/2005  8:35 AM
Jets Reach Agreement in Principal with Law

Following Monday’s morning practice, New York Jets head coach Herman Edwards announced that the club has come to an agreement with unrestricted free agent cornerback Ty Law.

“We’ve come to an agreement in principal at this point with Ty Law,” Edwards said. “He’s over getting a physical and he’ll have a workout this afternoon. If everything goes well, he will be a New York Jet.”

The signing by Law came with a few salary cap casualties, however. Veteran cornerback Ray Mickens, who was entering his 10th season with the Green & White, was cut by the team this morning to make room for Law, along with four other players.

“We had to release some players today: Derek Pagel, Ray Mickens, David Yovanovits, Delvin Joyce, and Roosevelt Williams,” said Edwards.

Jets Release Five Players, Including Veteran CB Mickens

Mickens’ leadership will be missed both on and off the field.

“Ray has accomplished a lot in his 10 years with the Jets,” center Kevin Mawae said. “He helped us get to the AFC Championship in ’98 and the playoffs these last few years. He’s been a big cog in our defensive backfield. It’s kind of like the passing of the guard now. He’s one of the last remaining of the old guys, and now it’s time for some of the young guys to step up. It’s part of the business and he’ll be missed around the locker room. But I’m sure he’ll bounce back and someone will pick him up. He’ll be successful wherever else he goes.”

“I was shooting the breeze with Ray last night and then I came in this morning and he’s saying goodbye to me,” added linebacker Jonathan Vilma. “So it’s a little surprising, a little shocking. It’s tough to see him leave so quickly, so abruptly. We’re going to miss him. He was definitely a ‘locker-room’ guy.”

The team is excited about the defensive possibilities following the addition of a defensive back with three Super Bowl rings who can lend his football knowledge to the team’s slew of young safeties.

“[Ty Law] is a great player, a great corner,” said second-year safety Erik Coleman. “He’s won many championships with the Patriots. I think we need some of that experience, especially in the secondary. We have a lot of young guys back there and it can’t do anything but help us. So we’re all excited.”

The acquisition of Law will also allow defensive coordinator Donnie Henderson to implement some new wrinkles into the Jets’ defense schemes.

“I’m not going to have to worry about rolling coverages or anything like that,” Vilma said. “We’ll probably play a little more man-to-man defense and be more aggressive.”

Check back for more updates throughout the day.

http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/index.php?content_id=2075§ions_id=#2075
What's Defense?
AUTOADVERT
bigpimpin
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #801
USA
8/9/2005  9:20 AM
i can't wait til Madden 2007 comes out
"Anyone who sits around waiting to hit the lottery, whether basketball or real life, in order to better their position is a loser."
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
8/9/2005  9:21 AM
TY is a Larry Brown type player.

Jets should play Nate too!
OT the jets sign CB ty law

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy