Iverson to Kings?
Author Thread
BigSm00th
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #178
USA
6/6/2002  4:10 PM
From RealGM:

"Kevin Mulligan of the Philadelphia Daily News plays “Sixers GM” in today’s column. He creates a scenario in which the Sixers trade Allen Iverson. His reasoning for the trade: The Kings need another scorer to pair up with Mike Bibby and they have a wealth of star-quality players on their bench which could help the Sixers.

His suggestion is Iverson to the Kings for “untapped star-quality shooting guard Bobby Jackson and rising star small forward Peja Stojakovic. If the salary-cap math doesn't add up, Sacramento throws in forgotten point guard Mateen Cleaves, who has yet to blossom.” (According to RealGM’s estimates, the Kings would have to add about another $2.7million in salaries to make this trade work).

Mulligan adds: “It's a perfect fit for both teams. Bibby never would see double-teams and it is a trade that could win the Kings an NBA championship next year. And with the explosive, versatile Jackson and Stojakovic (Matt Harpring becomes a solid sub), the 76ers immediately have two deadly shooters and become a serious Eastern Conference championship threat again.”

Other Iverson trade suggestions include:

Reggie Miller (19.3 career average) and Jamaal Tinsley (9.4 points per game, 8.1 assists per game) in a heartbeat from Indiana, and throw in someone else (Speedy Claxton? Snow?) if the Pacers wanted to unload Austin Croshere to come off Brown's bench. But would Indiana stake its future on Iverson? (RealGM note: Iverson for Miller and Tinsley works financially, but adding Croshere for Claxton or Snow would probably not work).

A Memphis offer of Shane Battier and its lottery pick (Dajuan Wagner?) would be attractive. (RealGM note: This trade is not even close to matching salaries)

There are rumblings of an overhaul in Milwaukee, and Ray Allen (and a deal-sweetener) sure would look nice in a 76ers uniform at the three-point line (RealGM note: The “sweetner” would have to be less than $2 million in value).

New Orleans (formerly Charlotte) is looking to make a splash, and what better way than landing Iverson? A sign-and-trade of Baron Davis, a draft pick and maybe even George Lynch tagging along to be reunited with Brown? (RealGM note: Baron Davis is under contract for the 2002-03 season and can’t be signed-and-traded until NEXT summer. And, when he is re-signed, he will almost definitely be a Base Year Compensation player, which will make him difficult to trade)."

Stupid trades for the 76ers, but just imagine the Kings, just imagine them, my God. Kobe's worst nightmare would be having to play the Answer. Look at this lineup:
PG-Bibby
SG-Iverson
SF-Turkoglu
PF-Webber
C-Divac

That is by far the best in the league. Iverson scores 30, CWebb 25. Thats 55 points from them, another 15 from Bibby and probably 15 assists, Turkoglu continues to improve and scores 12, Divac with 15. That's a combined 97 points from starters. That seems ridiculous now, but still, what a lineup.
#Knickstaps
AUTOADVERT
Vmart
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #247
USA
6/6/2002  5:37 PM
Yeah I heard about that But I don't think it will happen. How about sending Spree to the Kings for Jackson and Turkoglu. I think Turk played well in the WCF. He is going to be a good player. The Kings would get Spree who will take the last shot something only Bibby was willing to do, and he can replace Christie which will work out for the Kings. What do you guys think is this a good deal for the Knicks and the Kings.

[Edited by - Vmart on 06/06/2002 17:38:02]
BigSm00th
USA
6/6/2002  5:50 PM
I don't think the Kings would do that. They'd lose Jackson who can play both backcourt positions and Turkoglu, who still has potential. I doubt they'd do that, I'd do it if I were the Knicks.
#Knickstaps
prowler
Member: #135
USA
6/6/2002  9:06 PM
Personally i think they would do it because of the way Christie played in that series. Beleive it or not Chistie was the difference in that series. Spree is one of those players who is undaunted and is never afraid to take a shot, which Doug was afraid to do. I think Spree ,Bibby , Peja , Webber, and Vlade will make for a nice line up. Also you know Webber , who has pull, would be ecstatic.
knicker for life
BigSm00th
USA
6/6/2002  9:27 PM
Yes, I could see that deal getting done because Webber wants him there. Sprewell would essentially turn into Christie, a defensive stopper except better on offense. It really wasn't Christie's fault that he was missing those shots, he's not supposed to make them. That's when guys like Webber, Peja, and Bibby, the all-stars on that team step it up. Christie was on Kobe the whole game and he said he didn't have his legs, so you really can't blame him. True though, the Kings need a go-to guy and Spree would be that.
#Knickstaps
sebstar
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #249
USA
6/8/2002  4:12 PM
The Kings are obviously in need of a shake up after their Game 7 meltdown, so it is not out of the question that they would make a huge trade. Turk or Bobby J may be setting our sights to high with the junk we have on our team, but what about Gerald Wallace? GW is a star in waiting, but with the kings being deeper then the Atlantic, he gets no playing time. Kid has mad hops, and could bring the Garden to life from its Clearance/Shandon/Jackson/Houston/Eisely/ induced slumber. Comn Knicks, stop acting like you are allergic to young exciting talent.

Just pick and choose which over priced veteran we could send over there to land him. But I might as well be talking to myself with the fool of a G.M we have. Look for somebody else with foresight to make the move. Hey Guys Lets sign young blue chippers like Chris Gatling, we cant have enough mediocre veterans! Ok Mr. Laydon, lets get it like P.Diddy. Torturing loyal knicks fans is De bomb!
My saliva and spit can split thread into fiber and bits/ So trust me I'm as live as it gets. --Royce Da 5'9 + DJ Premier = Hip Hop Utopia
BigSm00th
USA
6/8/2002  6:03 PM
The Kings need someone who can take the last shot. Make your point about Bibby, but he only averaged 13 points a game during the regular season. He just has tremendous heart and wants to win. Iverson is a guy that is almost as clutch as clutch gets. Only Reggie Miller, Kobe, and MJ are better then him when there is no time left.

The Knicks getting Wallace would rock, but the Kings doing that would make no sense. They need size, the Knicks don't have size. And nothing like that's been rumored, but it'd rock if Wallace was on the Knicks. Remember him at the Dunk Contest last year, he would've won if the Wheel of Crap didn't screw him over.
#Knickstaps
sebstar
USA
6/8/2002  10:25 PM
The Sixers already learned that you dont trade Mega stars for just good players. Iverson saved the Sixers from their Barkley blunder. You build around Iverson, not ship him out....

Big S, dont be so quick to dismiss Wallace going to the Knicks. First off I could care less if its not already a rumor, because thats what 95% of them remain anyway. As somebody who has watched the Kings all year, Gerald Wallace gets no playing time unless there is an injury or mop up duty. Plus in the playoffs when Kings big men were fouling out left and right Adelman clearly was in no way going to put a 19 year old rookie into pressure packed situations. no confidence. Having a deep championship or bust team are not ideal situations for a still learning young guy.

We all know C-Webb would hopscotch around an erupting volcano to get his buddy Spree in the mix. Throw in Camby and I am sure the Kings would be intriged by the prospect of trading inexperienced bench warmer for veterans who have been there and can still go (knicks would really have to sell them on Camby) Makes perfect sense for both sides.

Concerning Christie, he has to make those shots. Christie can shoot the three, he shot them well all year. In game 7, The Lakers recognized that he was choking and laid off of him, and D'd up the rest of the team. He had wide open looks that championship teams can. If he felt he couldnt because he was too "tired" then should have taken himself out of the game for somebody would. The difference between the Lakers and the Kings is Christie's excuse making, and Robert Horry's make the shot and **** the rest attitude and execution.

My saliva and spit can split thread into fiber and bits/ So trust me I'm as live as it gets. --Royce Da 5'9 + DJ Premier = Hip Hop Utopia
BigSm00th
USA
6/9/2002  12:37 AM
Yeah, you make good points. Camby and Spree for Wallace and who though? Still, would be a good deal. Maybe the Knicks could even take the Kings 1st rounder this year since the Kings would obviously be getting the better of the deal.
#Knickstaps
nyballer
Member: #108
USA
6/9/2002  2:20 PM
I think you guys are overrating Gerald Wallace way too much. He hasn't shown anything, he wasn't a lottery pick and I haven't seen anything to prove that he is worthy of our best player and our best valued/biggest player (camby). Even if we are trying to rebuild we dont trade our best players for young junk. I think Postell is as good if not better than Wallace and I think with these two veterans we can get someone bigger and someone who has much more potential/is a rising star. even a draft pick would be nice. how about spree and camby for szcerbiack? spree could provide the experience and is at this point about as good as wally, and camby is tall and could play next to garnett. a team with brandon billups cmaby spree and garnett could do pretty well. although theres a good chance minnesota wont do that i think we should try to get playrs like szcerbiack- young and decent now that have potential for the future. spree and camby are still good and not overpriced, we could and should get good players for them, not players like Gerald Wallace.
"easy like sunday morning..." - walt clyde
sebstar
USA
6/9/2002  5:39 PM
I'm not too sure how much you know about Gerald Wallace. Let me fill you in....He is 19, an explosive 6'7 who has an above the rim up tempo game. As a Nothern Cali resident who gets to see Kings games regularly, I can tell you first hand he is the real deal. I've seen him score 14 pts. in a quarter knifing his way through defenses with ease. The only reason why he doesnt get to strut his stuff is because the Kings are so GD loaded. Sure, there is a certain amount of risk in every trade, especially for unproven talent, but the potential is there. Especially given the abominations we try to pass off as big men, its a risk that is sure worth taking. Where he was picked means nothing. Kobe Bryant was picked 13th. Micheal Finley like 25th. Olwakandi was picked first. Who would you rather have?

I can can accept slamming our suggestions. (it wouldnt be Camby & Spree just for him...Maybe Bobby Jackson gets thrown in) But then how are you going to turn around and say that the Knicks should trade Camby & Spree for Wally's World? Last time I checked the Knicks already had a soft shooting guard who disappears when it counts. Why do we need another one? At worst, Wallace can at least occupy the SF position which has given us nightmares. And he probably will become a nightmare for defenses for years.
BigSm00th
USA
6/9/2002  6:02 PM
A trade that works is Camby and the 2nd rounder for Wallace, Mateen Cleaves, and Brent Price. Though the Knicks would have 4 point guards, who cares. They'd finally get rid of Camby, who is as unpredictable as unpredictable gets, get their future small forward in Gerald Wallace, and a young point guard in Mateen Cleaves. Cleaves gets paid nothing, so after this you could trade Cleaves, Spree and 7 to the Cavs for Andre Miller.

The Kings would do this because they get yet another big man for the Western Conferene Playoffs, Cleaves never plays anyway, nor does Price. Knicks get a young stud in Wallace.

Miller at point guard, Houston at shooting guard, Wallace at small forward, Thomas at power forward, that's pretty decent. Sign a free agent center with the exception, though that's not a playoff team, with a good draft pick in 2002-2003, that could turn into a good team. And Knicks get younger.
#Knickstaps
Iverson to Kings?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy