[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

about center
Author Thread
abdurrahman
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #228
Spain
6/5/2002  12:30 PM
I´m very expected with the draft, but i only hear and read about forwards or guards?...please, where are our common sense? Without any legitimate center we`ll never win the championship. The teams which can really win have good players in the zone (Divac, Webber, LaFrentz, Robinson, Duncan ) We only can dream with players like them or with Butler, Williams, Wagner, Nickoloz...Bufff.
DRAFT:
Curtis B with first round
Hilario
Wilcox
--------------------------
Gadzuric
Fatih
Andersen

FREE AGENT:
Collins
James
Nesterovic
Rebraca

EUROPE:
Tomasevic TAU
Oberto TAU
Huffman Maccabi
Rentzias Barcelona
Griffith Kinder
Somebody think that he is`nt a good player but i want Curtis in our team.
AUTOADVERT
Vmart
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #247
USA
6/5/2002  1:19 PM
You are right the Knicks need a center. With Camby claiming to be a powerforward the Knicks don't need another PF they already have 4 on the team. They should consider taking a center. Ming is a good choice unless a deal is done he is not putting a Knick Uniform on. Thats why I want them to take Hilario he is listed at 6'11'' 260lbs and is only 19 and probably grow another inch or two making him a legit center at 7' and he will probably fill out to be 270-285 by the time he is 25. With his wingspan and his skills which will get better with time in the NBA he will be very good player for 10-15 years. He is athletic and can run the floor has potential to be a defensive force in the NBA while developing a very good post game which he is said to have.

BigSm00th
Member: #178
USA
6/5/2002  4:30 PM
True we'll never win a championship without a true center, but they're not winning anytime soon, so it isn't like they need to draft a Center because they don't have one. If a great player like Butler or Wagner is there and the Knicks take Borchardt it will make absolutely no sense.
#Knickstaps
Caseloads
Member: #41
6/5/2002  5:23 PM
Posted by BigSm00th:

True we'll never win a championship without a true center, but they're not winning anytime soon, so it isn't like they need to draft a Center because they don't have one. If a great player like Butler or Wagner is there and the Knicks take Borchardt it will make absolutely no sense.
true.
falcindor
Member: #42
USA
6/5/2002  11:22 PM
Camby never claimed not to be a center. he just complained that they never gave him a real PF to play with. Kurt is soft. Clarence is short and clumsy. He wants a real PF.
Fritz Alcindor Jr. *FUTURE KNICK GM* falcindor@hotmail.com
VG
Member: #68
Australia
6/6/2002  4:40 AM
I too think that if we were to pick Hilario that he could play center especially since we're in the East. He wouldn't have to face hard centers night and night out. I don't think Hilario will grow anymore but his frame should allow him to play the 5 quite comfortably. Not only is he 260 but he is really strong so it shouldn't be a problem for him. I think we should stay away from Borchardt, anyone that's been compared to Chris Mihm doesn't excite me. Caron Butler would be really nice, especially if we can trade away either Houston or Spree away.
ScooterSLP
Member: #198
USA
6/6/2002  11:28 AM
I like the idea of taking Hilario more and more each day. He's more or less got a center's build. If he grows a little more, that's pretty good, too. The kicker is the post game, though... if he doesn't have it, he's gotta learn it... it's frustrating to have 5 power forwards on a team where none of them can post up.
Vmart
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #247
USA
6/6/2002  3:24 PM
Posted by ScooterSLP:

I like the idea of taking Hilario more and more each day. He's more or less got a center's build. If he grows a little more, that's pretty good, too. The kicker is the post game, though... if he doesn't have it, he's gotta learn it... it's frustrating to have 5 power forwards on a team where none of them can post up.

From what I read he has a decent post game but his jumper is suspect at best. According to scouts his post move are good and will get better.
BigSm00th
Member: #178
USA
6/6/2002  3:54 PM
The only thing I'm worried about with Hilario is he hasn't really played against top-notch talent. Sure he had 10 good minutes in the Goodwill games, but that's not really going to help you.

Let's face it, to win in the NBA you need someone to go to downlow and a guy who can score off the dribble. My examples, Lakers (Shaq-Kobe), Kings (Webber/Vlade-Bibby/Jackson). That's why Dallas won't win a championship, because Cuban's philosophy of "since nobody can guard Shaq, don't even try," is bound to fail, and because Kobe is better then all of his perimeter guys. I'd be shocked if New Jersey won the title for this reason, they have no guys who can flat out score (and please don't tell me Kidd can, because he can't.) Once Antoine Walker develops a post game the Celtics will be really dangerous, and once Iverson gets a scorer downlow the 76ers will too.

Which brings me to the Knicks, this draft is so big because there are people at 7 that can take people off the dribble and develop into all-stars (DaJuan Wagner) and a guy that can go downlow and score at ease even if somebody is guarding him (Hilario.) If the Knicks get either guy, I'll be happy.

One more thing, here is a pic of Hilario going against the top talent in Brazil -- http://www.nbadraft.net/profiles/largepics/nene5.jpg
That guy doesn't exactly look even high school caliber. But still, the other pics of Hilario on that page are impressive.

[Edited by - bigsm00th on 06/06/2002 16:06:45]
#Knickstaps
UKDad
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #31
USA
6/11/2002  8:20 AM
After watching Shaq make everyone look like midgets in the playoffs, what the Knicks need to draft is a guy like Shaq. He is the proto-typical center in the NBA for the years to come. Until another 7 foot, 350 pound man comes along, the rest of the league can only hope that they get lucky for 7 games in the next several years. The Lakers will be 4-peating, 5-peating, 6-peating or so.. Maybe Shaq and Kobe will demand so much money that the Lakers won't be able to afford any other "players" and Jackson will have to both coach and play. Even then I wouldn't count them out..
The Old Man of UK...
Caseloads
Member: #41
6/11/2002  11:06 AM
Posted by UKDad:

After watching Shaq make everyone look like midgets in the playoffs, what the Knicks need to draft is a guy like Shaq. He is the proto-typical center in the NBA for the years to come. Until another 7 foot, 350 pound man comes along, the rest of the league can only hope that they get lucky for 7 games in the next several years. The Lakers will be 4-peating, 5-peating, 6-peating or so.. Maybe Shaq and Kobe will demand so much money that the Lakers won't be able to afford any other "players" and Jackson will have to both coach and play. Even then I wouldn't count them out..
jerome james is solid. vlade did well against shaq in the finals, but shaq is the best. why tim duncan doesn't play better or play center, who knows. at least webber played shaq (poorly, but took him) when vlade was in foul trouble.
about center

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy