[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Happy without Webber
Author Thread
Andrew
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #1
USA
6/3/2002  8:19 PM
I'm surprised someone hasn't already started this thread, but I don't feel bad about not getting Webber in the offseason. He clearly failed in his role of a franchise player, passing up shots and making questionable plays. I never thought I'd agree with anything Bill Walton said, but his remarks on how Webber should be concentrating on making smart plays instead of the flashy ones rang true. Webber seemed more concerned about the between the legs passes and posing after baskets than winning. I'll concede that he put up some great numbers, but that is not going to win championships.
PURE KNICKS LOVE
AUTOADVERT
BigSm00th
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #178
USA
6/3/2002  8:43 PM
I'll agree with you to an extent. With Webber in the East the Knicks have a tremendous shot of going far in the playoffs, not just making it. With Camby, they could make the Finals. And Webber is on the perfect team for himself, Bibby is the clutch guys and Webber does it downlow. You have more playoff experience on that team and they win last night (Turkologu passing up a layup to throw the ball off Webber's feet/Peja hitting air from corner.) In a year or two that team will knock off the Lakers. But still, Webber always is trying to make the big play and not play fundamentally sound. Walton is a funny guy, he's so mean. He'll say things like "that is the worst shot selection I have ever seen." or "what an absolutely horrible pass, terrifying to watch, how is this guy in the NBA?" Funny stuff.
#Knickstaps
Caseloads
Member: #41
6/3/2002  9:29 PM
Posted by Andrew:

I'm surprised someone hasn't already started this thread, but I don't feel bad about not getting Webber in the offseason. He clearly failed in his role of a franchise player, passing up shots and making questionable plays. I never thought I'd agree with anything Bill Walton said, but his remarks on how Webber should be concentrating on making smart plays instead of the flashy ones rang true. Webber seemed more concerned about the between the legs passes and posing after baskets than winning. I'll concede that he put up some great numbers, but that is not going to win championships.
for max money, i'd take webber over houston any day of the week. we should have let houston walk.
Vmart
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #247
USA
6/4/2002  10:55 AM
Posted by Caseloads:
Posted by Andrew:
for max money, i'd take webber over houston any day of the week. we should have let houston walk.

Even if the Knicks let Houston walk that still wouldn't allow the Knicks to have gotten Webber. Knicks signed Houston because he was their free agent, But Webber is Kings free agent Knicks would have to consider the cap.
Caseloads
Member: #41
6/4/2002  11:56 AM
Posted by Vmart:
Posted by Caseloads:
Posted by Andrew:

Even if the Knicks let Houston walk that still wouldn't allow the Knicks to have gotten Webber. Knicks signed Houston because he was their free agent, But Webber is Kings free agent Knicks would have to consider the cap.
i know that houston walking wouldn't have gotten us anything. but still - if houston left, we'd be in better cap shape - plus - spree could play the 2 and shandon the 3 like he's getting paid $7 mill per season to do.
sebstar
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #249
USA
6/8/2002  4:24 PM
Funny how you would say that the Knicks should consider the cap when it comes to signing a franchise Power forward in the thick of his prime, yet the Knicks throw serious dollars at scrubs and barely above average talent like they are Jay Z at an Atlanta strip club.

BTW, I am not buying this spin on Webber that he cant win a championship, and he is to blame. Webb put up big numbers the whole series, and had his team in position to knock out the lakers. I know us Knick fans know nothing about deep talented young teams, but its ridiculous to surmise that Webb should hog the ball with the type of talent that is around him. If the 3 point champ didnt shoot a 23 foot shot 20 feet, and if Christie was not assualting the backboard, we would not even be having this conversation.
My saliva and spit can split thread into fiber and bits/ So trust me I'm as live as it gets. --Royce Da 5'9 + DJ Premier = Hip Hop Utopia
BigSm00th
Member: #178
USA
6/8/2002  5:54 PM
I agree with the Kings choking, but Webber has to take a huge blame for it. He never wanted the ball, everytime he got it it looked like a deer in headlights. He'd spin around with his back to the basket and quickly pass. Webber, if he's going to make all that dough, should want the shot at the end.
#Knickstaps
sebstar
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #249
USA
6/8/2002  10:29 PM
Straight up, Webb's games in the series ranged from good to excellent to dominating. Dont forget that he was the guy who got Bibby that wide open jumper in Game 5 and hit huge shots in Game 3 when it seemed the walls were closing in on Sac in L.A. I'm not saying he had the perfect series, and there is something to be said for demanding a max extension and then looking for others when the game gets tight, but lets not go overboard here with criticism.

But for a Knick fan to declare that he is "happy without Webber", when our "big men" consist of guys like Felton Spencer, Travis Knight, Weatherspoon, Luc Longley and sneeze on him and he is injured M.Canby to me is the kind of deserves a stiff slap outrageousness that reeks of the Layden like delusions that have us in this unmitigated rut.
My saliva and spit can split thread into fiber and bits/ So trust me I'm as live as it gets. --Royce Da 5'9 + DJ Premier = Hip Hop Utopia
Happy without Webber

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy