[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

This is why I changed my mind on Wilcox
Author Thread
falcindor
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #42
USA
6/3/2002  1:23 PM
Wilcox, eh im not sure about him. he didnt score much in college til late in the season. He didnt lead his team. H wasnt even the best player on his team. Juan Dixon is better than him. Gooden led his team, Butler lead his team, Jefferies led his team. Thats why im backing off on wilcox. Plus he only averaged 12 points a game last seasonand almost 8 boards which is good but not NBA worthy.

Wilcox -
4th on team in scoring
2nd on team in rebounds

Gooden
1st on team in scoring
1st on team in rebounds

Jefferies
1st on team in scoring
1st on team in rebounds

Butler
1st on team in scoring
2nd on team in rebounds (excellent for a SF)
Fritz Alcindor Jr. *FUTURE KNICK GM* falcindor@hotmail.com
AUTOADVERT
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
6/3/2002  2:27 PM
The one thing the NBA drafts on is potential. If Wilcox stayed another year in college he may be in line with Gooden - 1st in scoring, 1st in rebounds - after his 3rd year.
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
6/3/2002  2:45 PM
Wilcox wasn't asked to do the things Gooden, Jeffries, and Butler were. Wilcox didn't even start the season as a starter. I haven't changed my mind one bit about wanting Wilcox because he provides things that very few players in the NBA provide. He has a great work ethic, is one of the best athletes to come along in years, and he has great size and strength for a power forward. At 6-10, 240lbs we would have nothing to complain about with size anymore. Camby and Thomas will be excellent starters together next year. Wilcox would be just what we need coming off the bench no question. I think once he starts his individual workouts he will really start to impress even more than he already has. He's projected to go between 4th and 7th right now and he hasn't even had any major workouts. Thats excellent for him.
Vmart
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #247
USA
6/3/2002  3:16 PM
This is why I wouldn't take Wilcox. He is a powerforward and the Knicks have Camby who claims he isn't a center. I would take Hilario who is 6'11'' and 260 and has the same athletic ability as Wilcox and play him at center he is only 19 and may have an inch or two still in him to grow. If he ends up 7' tall and with his wingspan he can play center for the Knicks for the next 10-15 years.

[Edited by - Vmart on 06/03/2002 15:16:40]
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
6/3/2002  3:28 PM
Posted by Vmart:

This is why I wouldn't take Wilcox. He is a powerforward and the Knicks have Camby who claims he isn't a center. I would take Hilario who is 6'11'' and 260 and has the same athletic ability as Wilcox and play him at center he is only 19 and may have an inch or two still in him to grow. If he ends up 7' tall and with his wingspan he can play center for the Knicks for the next 10-15 years.

[Edited by - Vmart on 06/03/2002 15:16:40]

Agreed here. I would also add the fact that Wilcox is 22 and Nene is 19, and that seems to equate to a bigger potential gap for Nene.
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
BigSm00th
Member: #178
USA
6/3/2002  4:02 PM
Still, I would take best player available (Butler or Wagner, one is bound to drop to 7).
#Knickstaps
Knixkik
USA
6/3/2002  4:20 PM
Agreed here. I would also add the fact that Wilcox is 22 and Nene is 19, and that seems to equate to a bigger potential gap for Nene.
Wilcox is the same age has Hilario. Wilcox is 19 or 20, depending on when his b-day is and Nene will turn 20 in september so i don't think the age has a factor on which one we should pick. I wouldn't mind either, but as much as i like Nene, Wilcox seems to be one of the hot picks right now and for some reason Nene isn't expected to go as high. Does anyone have any idea why Hilario is a projected 9-17 pick where he should be a 6-10 pick?
Vmart
USA
6/3/2002  4:34 PM
Posted by Knixkik:
Does anyone have any idea why Hilario is a projected 9-17 pick where he should be a 6-10 pick?

The projections were made before the try outs. During the try outs the Teams found that he had gotten bigger and his height had increased. He was listed at 6'9'' 230lbs before the try outs. Since the try outs he has measured 6'10'' and 260lbs. He is more athletic then the scouts thought. They have found that he doesn't have range on his jumper but has a solid post game around the basket. Hilario has good post moves that scouts think will get better. His wingspan is the same as Ming's. With those factors taken into consideration Hilario might just be what most NBA teams want a center. For those reasons his stock has increased dramatically.
Caseloads
Member: #41
6/3/2002  4:52 PM
Posted by Knixkik:
Wilcox is the same age has Hilario. Wilcox is 19 or 20, depending on when his b-day is and Nene will turn 20 in september so i don't think the age has a factor on which one we should pick. I wouldn't mind either, but as much as i like Nene, Wilcox seems to be one of the hot picks right now and for some reason Nene isn't expected to go as high. Does anyone have any idea why Hilario is a projected 9-17 pick where he should be a 6-10 pick?
hilario has contract issues. we haven't seen him in american games either - more of wilcox.
Andrew
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #1
USA
6/3/2002  5:26 PM
A couple of places have Wilcox's birthday as February 26, 1980, making him 22. After some searching the consensus seems to be that he was born August 3, 1982.

Nene was born September 13, 1982.
Posted by Knixkik:

Wilcox is the same age has Hilario. Wilcox is 19 or 20, depending on when his b-day is and Nene will turn 20 in september so i don't think the age has a factor on which one we should pick.
PURE KNICKS LOVE
Vmart
USA
6/3/2002  5:40 PM
Posted by Caseloads:
Posted by Knixkik:

[quote]Agreed here. I would also add the fact that Wilcox is 22 and Nene is 19, and that seems to equate to a bigger potential gap for Nene.
hilario has contract issues. we haven't seen him in american games either - more of wilcox.

Th contract issues are not a problem according to the Hilario's representatives. I don't think seeing someone in American games should determine if he will have an impact in the NBA. There are so many foreign players that never played in America and are successful. Wilcox is a good player but I think that Hilario will be able to play center in the NBA and that means Camby can play where he feels comfortable at PF.
falcindor
USA
6/3/2002  6:11 PM
19 and 22 is not a big deal. It doesnt matter how old you are. o player we draft will play their whole career as a Knick. 19 and is no big difference at all they are both young.
Knixkik
USA
6/3/2002  6:39 PM
We don't even know if Nene will be able to play center yet. Both he and Wilcox are natural power forwards no matter what. I think they both provide the same things right now and are pretty evenly matched at this point. I still see Wilcox being drafted ahead of Hilario though.
BigSm00th
USA
6/3/2002  7:00 PM
ESPN Insider said that many teams were aggravated with the fact that Wilcox only tried out for several teams, the Knicks being included. I don't think the Knicks should play people out of position. Let the position suffer, not the player. Look at Camby, though he's a bad example, he's just not a center. If they draft Hilario or Wilcox, they should play power forward. My only fear is a guy like Wilcox is going to get drafted because of a strong few games in the NCAA Tourny against teams with weak frontcourts. It's like Miles Simon, the guard from Arizona a few years ago who had a strong tourny, played himself into the first, then did absolutely nothing with the Magic. Just because he's an athlete doesn't mean he should be drafted, same thing with Nene. I'd rather get a basketball player in Jeffries or a really talented player like Gooden, Butler, or Wagner instead of drafting an "athlete" like Hilario or Wilcox.
#Knickstaps
Caseloads
Member: #41
6/3/2002  7:12 PM
Posted by BigSm00th:

ESPN Insider said that many teams were aggravated with the fact that Wilcox only tried out for several teams, the Knicks being included. I don't think the Knicks should play people out of position. Let the position suffer, not the player. Look at Camby, though he's a bad example, he's just not a center. If they draft Hilario or Wilcox, they should play power forward. My only fear is a guy like Wilcox is going to get drafted because of a strong few games in the NCAA Tourny against teams with weak frontcourts. It's like Miles Simon, the guard from Arizona a few years ago who had a strong tourny, played himself into the first, then did absolutely nothing with the Magic. Just because he's an athlete doesn't mean he should be drafted, same thing with Nene. I'd rather get a basketball player in Jeffries or a really talented player like Gooden, Butler, or Wagner instead of drafting an "athlete" like Hilario or Wilcox.
there aren't enough decent true centers in the league. it's better to play a PF at center and get production from him. who'd you rather see at the Center spot for the Knicks - Travis Knight a true Center, or Kurt Thomas, a PF? Thomas for me, Knight is a pine brother.
Knixkik
USA
6/3/2002  8:28 PM
There hasn't been an athlete come into the league like Wilcox in awhile. That alone will make him a solid contributer on our team next season and our future franchise player if he develops beyond that. Most people, myself included, feel Wilcox will be a top NBA power forward someday. I'm sure most of you can agree. I guess i just want to see a few more workouts or whatever before i determine whether i feel Wilcox, Hilario, or Gooden is a better draft choice.
BigSm00th
USA
6/3/2002  8:45 PM
I, too, think he'll develop ultimately. And what I meant by not playing guys out of position was young guys. Thomas is almost a journeyman at this point in his career, if he's going to play center he's going to play center. But if you have a big prospect out of college who's going to have a hard enough of a time adapting to the NBA, don't play him out of position. This draft is tricky, because the Knicks say they want to contend. So they could take Wagner or Butler to backup, or a big guy to backup.
#Knickstaps
falcindor
USA
6/3/2002  8:49 PM
at the same time you must consider Wilcox wont start for us. he wont have time to develop. Unless hes a quick learner he will have Lavar Postell status DNP-coaches decision. Wilcox has the atleticism but it takes more than that to make a star. It would be stupid to pick Wilcox over any of the 4 players I mentioned.
tkf
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #87
6/6/2002  11:16 AM
Posted by BigSm00th:

Thats a tough comparison ... Miles was a decent player and a decent athlete.. Wilcox is a big physical specimen with a load of potential. thats a big difference from Miles simon....
Anyone who sits around and waits for the lottery to better themselves, either in real life or in sports, Is a Loser............... TKF
Knixkik
USA
6/6/2002  2:50 PM
Posted by falcindor:

at the same time you must consider Wilcox wont start for us. he wont have time to develop. Unless hes a quick learner he will have Lavar Postell status DNP-coaches decision. Wilcox has the atleticism but it takes more than that to make a star. It would be stupid to pick Wilcox over any of the 4 players I mentioned.
No Wilcox won't start for us, but then again, what rookie would? Jay Williams would probably be the only one, as even Yao Ming would start the year backing up Thomas and Camby. Everyone else would receive a reserve role at best. Thats the catigory Wilcox, or anyone we can get at #7, would fall under. Wilcox wouldn't start because of the talent we have in Camby and Thomas. He would come off the bench and hopefully make a nice impact because of his size, strength, and athletism. We can wait on his offensive skills which will take time, but should come around. The thing about Wilcox is there are very few players like him. If he can physically overpower others than that will be exactly what we need. Athletically he will be one of the most gifted players in the league.
This is why I changed my mind on Wilcox

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy