[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

BREAKING NEWS....KNICKS OFFER BROWN CONTRACT AND BROWN ACCEPTS (NY TIMES)
Author Thread
Marv
Alba Posts: 69
Member: #315
7/27/2005  8:07 AM
Fish,

It's a legit concern IMO. THats' definitely the downside possiblity.

but I think the upside is 50 wins and I think that's legit too. It's going to be all about harnessing the particular strenths of players and holding them to it.

Marbs and Craw both are great players at times - AT TIMES. It's gonna be about removing the tolerance for their wandering off that course.

big Game James and Frye could very much be exactly what we've needed for years - active 7'1" and 6'11" guys swatting around the rim and double-teaming the offensive boards.

The list just goes on - you know what Sweets cna do at his best - again, that's the key - players' bests have to become more consistently the norm.

Don't forget Nate - used properly, how many wins could this guy alone deliver?

And you know I put real big stock in the development of Reezy.

Plus there's Q, Lee, JYD.

I think it's legit to predict anywhere form 34-50. Could be glorious. Could be a bomb.

But to me this is a beautiful off-seaosn and i'm drinking up!
AUTOADVERT
pizza
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #895
Vatican City
7/27/2005  8:11 AM

diderotn
Member: #650
USA
7/27/2005  8:18 AM
one thing is for sure, Frye and James will make players think twice when penetrating the paint. I can't wait to see what those two can do together on the court. I can't wait. If Lenny was still around, we probably would have never have the chance to see such combo, because we all know that Lenny wasn't innovative enough. He would have never taken the chance to try a new lineup.

Posted by Marv:

Fish,

It's a legit concern IMO. THats' definitely the downside possiblity.

but I think the upside is 50 wins and I think that's legit too. It's going to be all about harnessing the particular strenths of players and holding them to it.

Marbs and Craw both are great players at times - AT TIMES. It's gonna be about removing the tolerance for their wandering off that course.

big Game James and Frye could very much be exactly what we've needed for years - active 7'1" and 6'11" guys swatting around the rim and double-teaming the offensive boards.
The list just goes on - you know what Sweets cna do at his best - again, that's the key - players' bests have to become more consistently the norm.

Don't forget Nate - used properly, how many wins could this guy alone deliver?

And you know I put real big stock in the development of Reezy.

Plus there's Q, Lee, JYD.

I think it's legit to predict anywhere form 34-50. Could be glorious. Could be a bomb.

But to me this is a beautiful off-seaosn and i'm drinking up!

[Edited by - diderotn on 07/27/2005 08:19:12]
The true Knickabocker..........
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
7/27/2005  8:42 AM
Posted by gunsnewing:

how do you figure 34wins? last year we won 37-39 with wilkins & herb coaching with no 2nd option once crawford went down, now we have Q, kurt thomas at center, now we got guys who play hard like nate & lee, and TT having the worst year of his career! now we have larry brown!!!!!!!!!!

thats at least 40-42wins given! I think they win 43-45

[Edited by - gunsnewing on 07/27/2005 08:04:57]
Guns... I was wrong. It was 33wins. We were 33-49 last year. If we didnt beat the scrubs the Wizards played in the 4th qtr last game of the year we lose 50 games. We didnt have any more injuries than any other team in the NBA had to play through.

Hey.. I was one of the guys saying 45 wins last year, wondering why Buck fans were so down on TT, etc etc.

We dont play defense. We dont have a style of play. We dont have guys that close games. We have too many players that do the same thing and arent outstanding.

Now I think Larry Brown will go a long way in fixing some of these things, but I have to believe its going to take some time, especially with the rookies. I think something more likely is 38 wins, but a strong 2nd half where the team starts to play better in a system. If we have another good offseason I think the year after next is more likely the time we start to break out of the funk.

Like when Hubie took over the Grizz. They didnt win anymore games but they got closer. They palyed harder. They were better on D and you could see the signs that the players were starting to break out. The next year they were very good and went to the playoffs. I think thats a realistic and optimistic scenario for Brown and this team.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
bobs3304
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #948
7/27/2005  8:47 AM
we're gonna be a .500 team next year. probably not consistently, but in the end.

i'm not really sure we'll make the playoffs, though.
DLee is the best thing to happen to NY in Isiah's 4 year tenure. And that alone, though a positive on the radar, is sad as hell.
diderotn
USA
7/27/2005  9:05 AM
Marb will finally advance to the second round of the playoffs....
Pharzeone
Alba Posts: 14
Member: #871
7/27/2005  9:43 AM
Posted by fishmike:

geeze, am I the only one that still sees a 34 win roster with the addition of 3 rookies an guy that shot under 40% for the last 3 years?

At least now we can totally eliminate coaching from the equation and I wont have to hear people say LB's rotations are the reason the KNicks arent winning more games.

I'm glad we got him, but we have a loooong way to get before we are even considered a good or playoff team. Lets just hope LB is commited to teaching the young players and not trading them for Eric Snow, Kenny Thomas and other guys he's more "comfortable" with.

I thought the object was to win championships and complete not make sure "our favorite" players and coaches get to play and coach on our favorite team. If LB thinks one of the young guys can be used to get closer to the realization, by all means I hope he does it.
I don't like to play bad rookies , I like to play good rookies - Mike D'Antoni
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
7/27/2005  9:58 AM
i think some of problems we had last year were attributed to no real style of play. were we a running team or were we a 1/2 court team. we just didn't know which one we were and at the end of the day, we didn't have good enough personnel to run either effectively. too many games came down to marbury with the ball and the shot clock at 5. no planning, nothing.

i think that just by the type of system LB would put in here (and he's really done a good job adapting to many different roster make-ups), we SHOULD improve on down the stretch play. since we were in so many close games, this could result in a DRAMATIC change (+10 in the win column).

there are many additions that happened this offseason. INCLUDING 2 upgrades in spots we had trouble in. backup PG and center. now, james is probably going to be out there for 15-20 mins/night, but during that time, we put out a big dude that takes up space - something we didn't have here in the past 5 years. and with nate, the tempo of the game changes to an even higher one.

i'm not even talking about frye, a better ariza, a better sweetney, and hopefully a better craw.

bringing in brown is a COUP for isiah. i don't care how much he spent to get him and there's absolutely NOTHING negative to say about the move. the impact won't be as immediate as riley b/c we don't have ewing here now but it'll still make a major impact on the franchise's future.

i think he knows the situation he's getting into, and as his yenta wife said, "the expectations are in check" so i don't think we're going to see the eric snow's, kenny thomas', or an un-retired tyrone hill. at least i hope so...
Pharzeone
7/27/2005  10:06 AM
That's my point on the way out the door, Stu Jackson said no one could win with the roster he was given. Ewing wanted to be traded. Riley told the media and Ewing give me one season with the same roster. The Knicks finished the season in 2nd place behind the Celtics, and the Celtics had to come on strong to stay in front. Took the defending champs to seven games before MJ put his foot down. Please don't tell me that coaching doesn't matter and its all about the roster because I already seen proof positive. No real knock on Herb but I don't think he is ready to be head coach, actually it would have been nice if he was at least a top assistant before he got the interim gig but that was circumstance.
Silverfuel
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #268
USA
7/27/2005  10:08 AM
good post Pharzeone
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.
fishmike
USA
7/27/2005  10:32 AM
Posted by Pharzeone:

That's my point on the way out the door, Stu Jackson said no one could win with the roster he was given. Ewing wanted to be traded. Riley told the media and Ewing give me one season with the same roster. The Knicks finished the season in 2nd place behind the Celtics, and the Celtics had to come on strong to stay in front. Took the defending champs to seven games before MJ put his foot down. Please don't tell me that coaching doesn't matter and its all about the roster because I already seen proof positive. No real knock on Herb but I don't think he is ready to be head coach, actually it would have been nice if he was at least a top assistant before he got the interim gig but that was circumstance.
thats a good example, but I dont see how it applies. We dont have a player like Ewing on this roster. We have Marbury. Now maybe we have all undervalued the impact Marbury can make in the right situtation, and maybe LB can create that, but I dont see this team as having the same talent.

That team had an established frontcourt of Ewing and Oakley, as well as Jackson and Wilkins in the backcourt. I hope like hell your right, but I dont see how one situation applies to another, especially when one team had a franchise center
diderotn
USA
7/27/2005  10:39 AM
Let's go into next season with an open mind. Forget about how bad we were last year and start fresh. I do believe that we have enough talents on the roster now to do damages. We weren't properly coached last season, and we didn't have the frontcourt talents that we have this year. Give this squad 20 games to show us all whether or not they are worthy.
HARDCOREKNICKSFAN
Alba Posts: 28
Member: #263
USA
7/27/2005  10:50 AM
Good post, diderotn. Unfortunately, the few that don't have an open mind will still post their anal pessimism. We optimistic ones just have to keep the positivity flowing to negate the bullcrap.

The Knicks will make the playoffs and IT will take his props from those too ignorant to give the man his just due.

I am still waiting for the Larry Brown press conference...

[Edited by - HARDCOREKNICKSFAN on 07/27/2005 10:50:55]
Another season, and more adversity to persevere through. We will get the job done, even BETTER than last year. GO KNICKS!
Pharzeone
7/27/2005  11:07 AM
Posted by fishmike:
Posted by Pharzeone:

thats a good example, but I dont see how it applies. We dont have a player like Ewing on this roster. We have Marbury. Now maybe we have all undervalued the impact Marbury can make in the right situtation, and maybe LB can create that, but I dont see this team as having the same talent.

That team had an established frontcourt of Ewing and Oakley, as well as Jackson and Wilkins in the backcourt. I hope like hell your right, but I dont see how one situation applies to another, especially when one team had a franchise center
Remember before Riley got here Ewing had Marbury's rep as far as good stat guy but doesn't do anything to make his team better, NY media started questioning whether or not he was a championship. Jackson and Wilkens were not Riley type of guys but he got the most out them for that season. Just looking at Brown's resume, that's his speciality, the Spurs, Indiana, and the Sixers. One of the best coaching jobs that ever seen in my life has to be what he did with the Clippers (that franchise has recover since he left) and with that owner. I say this about Brown and Riley they don't care what the roster looks like, they are confident that they can make something work unlike the guy in LA.
fishmike
USA
7/27/2005  11:26 AM
Phar I will say this. Look at my posts for the last year. The #1 thing I have griped about is almost all our players are under utilized. I wont take the time to break it down, but basicly I have harped on and on on how our lack of style of play has hurt the individual players. If anyone can change that its LB, as you said he's proven that before. I saw Detroit go from 32-50 to 50-32 in one year. They made 2 changes. They added Cliff Robinson and hired Rick Carlisle as coach. Anything is possible, and I'm not pessimistic. I'm just curbing my enthusiasm until I actually see something happen.

Instead of changing the way our players play if we could just get them doing what they do best I think we would improve drasticly. The worst case would be some inflated #s to pump up trade value before we move guys. Either way we win.
Rich
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #511
USA
7/27/2005  1:55 PM
Stu Jackson killed that team by playing Mark Jackson over Rod Strickland, who everyone on the team knew was a much better PG.
nykbasketball
Member: #862
USA
2/26/2006  10:34 PM
its just amazing how our opinions changed over 1/2 a season
What's Defense?
rvhoss
Member: #777
Switzerland
2/26/2006  10:57 PM
all kool aid all the time.
plax17
Member: #1090
USA
2/26/2006  11:21 PM
there was a lot of hope in larry brown's ablilities. dreams deferred...
Who's shooting too much now?
SlimPack
Member: #1009
USA
2/26/2006  11:32 PM
Posted by islesfan:

Is this really "breaking" news? It's more like an inevitability than anything else.

Another splash move that doesn't fit the situation. A win now coach on a rebuilding team. It'll be fun to watch it all go down though.

wow islesfan is a genious.

[Edited by - slimpack on 02-26-2006 11:32 PM]
BREAKING NEWS....KNICKS OFFER BROWN CONTRACT AND BROWN ACCEPTS (NY TIMES)

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy