[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

BREAKING NEWS....KNICKS OFFER BROWN CONTRACT AND BROWN ACCEPTS (NY TIMES)
Author Thread
NYK3
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #725
USA
7/26/2005  10:23 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/pages/sports/basketball/index.html

also breaking news on espnews that we offered him a contract
I wasn't born with enough middle fingers!!!
AUTOADVERT
Andrew
Member: #1
USA
7/26/2005  10:25 PM
how about this link...

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/07/27/sports/basketball/27knicks.html?
PURE KNICKS LOVE
NYK3
USA
7/26/2005  10:27 PM
Posted by Andrew:

how about this link...

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/07/27/sports/basketball/27knicks.html?
yea that ones better
bobs3304
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #948
7/26/2005  10:32 PM
I know our roster doesn't scream "playoffs" (yet), but this is a historical day in KNicks history...
DLee is the best thing to happen to NY in Isiah's 4 year tenure. And that alone, though a positive on the radar, is sad as hell.
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
7/26/2005  10:33 PM
Brown Said to Accept Knicks' Bid to Be Coach

By HOWARD BECK
Published: July 27, 2005
A Hall of Famer and a champion, a certified winner at every level, Larry Brown appears ready to add one more title to his considerable résumé: franchise savior.

Skip to next paragraph
N.B.A. Draft
Round 1 | Round 2
Final Standings:
East | West
Discuss the N.B.A.

N.B.A. Finals
Spurs Defeat Pistons, 4-3

It could be the most daunting role he has accepted in a coaching career spanning three decades.

Brooklyn-born and Long Island-raised, Brown is set to become the next coach of his hometown Knicks, the team he idolized as a child and later watched from a distance while he built his own legacy.

Apparently, the chance to use his vaunted abilities to revive the woebegone franchise was too tempting to pass up. Brown has accepted in principle the Knicks' offer to become their 22nd head coach.

Negotiations could be completed today. Barring any unforeseen snags, the team hopes to make an announcement by tomorrow at the latest.

"He's made his decision that he wants to coach the Knicks," Brown's agent, Joe Glass, said yesterday by telephone. "Now it's up to the Knicks and myself to come up with an arrangement that works for both parties."

Glass declined to characterize the talks, but he sounded optimistic that an agreement would be reached before long. On a scale of 1 to 10, Glass said Brown's chances of joining the Knicks rated an 8.

"There's some other things to hash out, but there's nothing definitive at this point," Glass said before returning to the talks. "A lot of things can happen between the talk and the execution. I'm only secure when it's done."

Brown will replace Herb Williams, who coached the final three months of last season after Lenny Wilkens was forced to resign. Williams, who had dinner with Brown on Monday, is expected to join his coaching staff.

Knicks officials declined to comment yesterday.

Parameters of the contract are unknown, but Brown is expected to earn $10 million to $12 million annually for three to five years.

The deal culminates a whirlwind week in which Brown was let go by the Detroit Pistons - the team he led to the last two N.B.A. finals -then courted daily by Knicks officials.

It also culminates a three-month coaching search that often appeared meandering but will now be viewed as a brilliant success. Brown is regarded as one of the best coaches in history. His mere presence will inspire optimism that the Knicks may soon turn the corner after four straight losing seasons.

When Isiah Thomas, the team president, began his search in April, his goal was to hire Phil Jackson or Brown. He interviewed Jackson first and Brown last, with a dozen others in between, but his short list never changed. If Brown and Jackson had declined, Thomas was always prepared to give the job to Williams.

As recently as 10 days ago, it appeared Williams was closing in on the job. He had interviewed Paul Westphal, the Pepperdine coach, for a position on his staff. Meanwhile, Brown was giving signals that he wanted to remain in Detroit. But Pistons management was ready to move on and eight days ago reached a buyout on the final three years of Brown's contract.

Thomas called Brown that night.

Brown will become the team's fourth coach in 18 months, following Don Chaney, Wilkens and Williams.

He will be Madison Square Garden's most celebrated coach since Pat Riley left for Miami in 1995. Like Riley, Brown has a glossy résumé. In 22 N.B.A. seasons, Brown has compiled a record of 987 victories and 741 defeats (.571), with only three losing seasons. He is the only coach to have won championships in college (with Kansas in 1988) and in the N.B.A. (with Detroit in 2004).

Brown is known as a gifted turnaround artist who gets the most from his players and turns mediocre teams into playoff powers. That profile makes him a perfect match for the Knicks, who have one established star (Stephon Marbury) and a lot of ill-fitting, and in some cases redundant, role players.

"He's going to make it work," Knicks forward Tim Thomas, who played for Brown in Philadelphia, said in a recent phone conversation. "That's the thing about Larry. It's really not about the style - he's going to change the style. It's all going to come down to the way he wants to run things."

Thomas and Marbury are the only Knicks to have played for Brown, and both sound eager to have him on the bench.

Marbury, who clashed with Brown during last year's Olympics, said last Friday that hiring Brown was "a no-brainer."

Thomas said: "In coaching, there's a lot of teaching. But he's like the professor. He's going to constantly tell you what's right and what's wrong, and he's going to constantly keep teaching. You don't have that in a lot of coaches these days. And he's going to push you to work harder. That's No. 1."

matt
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #487
USA
7/26/2005  10:34 PM
Yes.
diderotn
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #650
USA
7/26/2005  10:38 PM
what is going on with the Knicks this season??? out of the bleu lucks are pooring our way. Once Houston is officially off of our roster, we may even win a championship the way it is going. Shall I say that the curse of les boulez is finally off of our shoulders....I have once said that the minutes Kurt is gone from our roster, we would be a totally different organization, it looks more and more that is becoming a reality.
The true Knickabocker..........
islesfan
Alba Posts: 37
Member: #712
7/26/2005  10:38 PM
Is this really "breaking" news? It's more like an inevitability than anything else.

Another splash move that doesn't fit the situation. A win now coach on a rebuilding team. It'll be fun to watch it all go down though.
If it didn’t work in Phoenix with Nash and Stoutamire... it’s just not a winning formula. It’s an entertaining formula, but not a winning one. - Derek Harper talking about D'Antoni's System
Pharzeone
Alba Posts: 14
Member: #871
7/26/2005  10:40 PM
Posted by islesfan:

Is this really "breaking" news? It's more like an inevitability than anything else.

Another splash move that doesn't fit the situation. A win now coach on a rebuilding team. It'll be fun to watch it all go down though.
Man you are full of it. Now you are calling them a rebuilding team. I thought you said that they weren't rebuilding.
I don't like to play bad rookies , I like to play good rookies - Mike D'Antoni
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
7/26/2005  10:40 PM
Posted by islesfan:

actually detroit was his only real win now situation. everywhere else was a rebuilding situation. - spurs, clippers, indy, philly - all teams that needed development. just detroit was win now so that was the exception to larry brown's resume.

come on bro, you can be happy about something...at least one thing. give it a shot. it will lead to a long and healthy life...

[Edited by - djsunyc on 07/26/2005 22:41:33]
NYK3
USA
7/26/2005  10:43 PM
Posted by djsunyc:
Posted by islesfan:

actually detroit was his only real win now situation. everywhere else was a rebuilding situation. - spurs, clippers, indy, philly - all teams that needed development. just detroit was win now so that was the exception to larry brown's resume.

come on bro, you can be happy about something...at least one thing. give it a shot. it will lead to a long and healthy life...

[Edited by - djsunyc on 07/26/2005 22:41:33]
yea man seriously cant you be happy about anything? it must suck being you always looking at the negative side of everything...i pity you
diderotn
Member: #650
USA
7/26/2005  10:49 PM
Thank you for saying that. I don't know why most knick fans just can't be satisfied...even if we win a championship, those same people will find something to bitch about...

yea man seriously cant you be happy about anything? it must suck being you always looking at the negative side of everything...i pity you
The true Knickabocker..........
pizza
Member: #895
Vatican City
7/26/2005  11:13 PM
now that we got the coach and the players. there's like a laundry list of whuppings i want the knicks to dish out. starting with the nets and ending with the heat.
bobs3304
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #948
7/26/2005  11:13 PM
Posted by pizza:

now that we got the coach and the players. there's like a laundry list of whuppings i want the knicks to dish out. starting with the nets and ending with the heat.

we're not ready yet dude. pace yourself...
DLee is the best thing to happen to NY in Isiah's 4 year tenure. And that alone, though a positive on the radar, is sad as hell.
HARDCOREKNICKSFAN
Alba Posts: 28
Member: #263
USA
7/26/2005  11:15 PM
Posted by diderotn:

Thank you for saying that. I don't know why most knick fans just can't be satisfied...even if we win a championship, those same people will find something to bitch about...

Most Knicks fans ARE optimistic IMO, it's just that the pessimists post more often.
Another season, and more adversity to persevere through. We will get the job done, even BETTER than last year. GO KNICKS!
HARDCOREKNICKSFAN
USA
7/26/2005  11:16 PM
Posted by pizza:

HELL FRIGGIN' YEAH!!!

But I do believe there will be more moves made prior to training camp..
Another season, and more adversity to persevere through. We will get the job done, even BETTER than last year. GO KNICKS!
Bonn1997
Member: #581
USA
7/26/2005  11:18 PM
Posted by HARDCOREKNICKSFAN:
Posted by diderotn:

Most Knicks fans ARE optimistic IMO, it's just that the pessimists post more often.
I've been saying that for a long time. But many of the pessimists are finally jumping along. I thought it would take longer.
nyshakespeare
Alba Posts: 13
Member: #420
USA
7/26/2005  11:31 PM
If a picture is worth a thousand words, this one just about sums up how I feel right now...

...and the Layden era was the "five-hundred yards of **** smelling foulness" Knick fans had to crawl through.
It Is Solved By Walking
HARDCOREKNICKSFAN
USA
7/26/2005  11:33 PM
A Shawshank moment... lol

Indeed it is... FINALLY.
pizza
Member: #895
Vatican City
7/26/2005  11:36 PM
nyshakespeare, that picture captures the moment.
BREAKING NEWS....KNICKS OFFER BROWN CONTRACT AND BROWN ACCEPTS (NY TIMES)

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy