[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

The Jax / Childs deal
Author Thread
nykinoz
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #205
Australia
5/27/2002  10:34 PM
I don't post here often, mainly at RealGM, but i thought i drop by and say wassup!

I don't like to harp on the past, but i feel this is an important issue.

I for one liked the Jax/Childs deal, except for one thing, giving that damn Seattle pick to the Raps!!!

It is bonehead moves like that which makes me question Laydens intellegence.

What are your thoughts on the above, that pick (20) i think would be real handy this year.

Peace.
AUTOADVERT
nyballer
Member: #108
USA
5/27/2002  11:08 PM
Posted by nykinoz:

I don't post here often, mainly at RealGM, but i thought i drop by and say wassup!

I don't like to harp on the past, but i feel this is an important issue.

I for one liked the Jax/Childs deal, except for one thing, giving that damn Seattle pick to the Raps!!!

It is bonehead moves like that which makes me question Laydens intellegence.

What are your thoughts on the above, that pick (20) i think would be real handy this year.

Peace.
That trade disturbs me a) because childs came back to destroy us in the playoffs last year and b) because of the draft pick. With that pick we could choose from the decent point guards in the league - ie frank williams, dan dickau, roger mason, steve logan - becasue none of them will be taken by then. or, we could get a guy like chris marcus, jamal sampson, or a european prospect should they drop. maybe even amare, since his stock plumetted though it isunlikely hell drop to 20.
"easy like sunday morning..." - walt clyde
BigSm00th
Member: #178
USA
5/27/2002  11:14 PM
At the time the trade was good. Knicks needed a passing point guard bad and many thought they'd go over the hump. Don't forget, Knicks have a mentally strong Camby that series they win. Raptors took 76ers to 7 games, and 76ers wound up in the Finals. We had Jackson for his last good year, so it was worth it then. But now, yeah, that pick would help, but you can't look at it in retrospect and say it was a bad move by Layden because that's unfair to him.
#Knickstaps
nykinoz
Australia
5/27/2002  11:43 PM
Also, with picks 7 and 20, we could've had a great chance of moving up. Oh well, lets keep our fingers crossed that Layden does the right thing, and steers clear of Bordachart and Marcus.
Vmart
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #247
USA
5/28/2002  2:58 PM
Posted by BigSm00th:

At the time the trade was good. Knicks needed a passing point guard bad and many thought they'd go over the hump. Don't forget, Knicks have a mentally strong Camby that series they win. Raptors took 76ers to 7 games, and 76ers wound up in the Finals. We had Jackson for his last good year, so it was worth it then. But now, yeah, that pick would help, but you can't look at it in retrospect and say it was a bad move by Layden because that's unfair to him.

The trade was never good at any time. You gave up a point that could shoot the ball in Childs for a sloth in Jackson. Sure he can pass but he can't shoot and he is a defensive liability. He doesn't help the situation when Spree and Houston are being doubled especially with Camby and him on the floor at the same time.
knickgeek
Member: #46
USA
5/28/2002  3:11 PM
I didn't like that trade. Mark Jackson is clearly a better pure point guard, but Childs fit the Knicks' scheme better at the time. Defensively he's much better than Jackson, and has a way of coming up big during the playoffs. I think the Knicks needed those qualities more than Jackson's dishing.

Of course, it would be nice to have a point guard that can play offense and defense.
BigSm00th
USA
5/28/2002  4:08 PM
"He doesn't help the situation when Spree and Houston are being doubled especially with Camby and him on the floor at the same time."

When in God's name are Spree and Houston doubled? They needed somebody to get them the ball and thats why they got Jackson.
#Knickstaps
Vmart
USA
5/28/2002  4:17 PM
Posted by BigSm00th:

"He doesn't help the situation when Spree and Houston are being doubled especially with Camby and him on the floor at the same time."

When in God's name are Spree and Houston doubled? They needed somebody to get them the ball and thats why they got Jackson.

BigSmOOth, What games were you watching this year they were double through most of the season. When Spree would get the ball they would send a man running to double spree and it was usually Jackson's man. Was Childs that bad that he could get the ball to Spree or Houston, he seems to get the ball to Carter and Antonio Davis just fine.
falcindor
Member: #42
USA
5/28/2002  4:17 PM
It was a good trade. We had a PG situation that was worse than we have now. The ball wasnt moving at all. Something had to be done. Jackson was 2nd in the league in Assists at that point. Its 2 years later things have changed. But it was a great move at the time and still is. But now we most move on and get another point. Times change.
Fritz Alcindor Jr. *FUTURE KNICK GM* falcindor@hotmail.com
BigSm00th
USA
5/28/2002  5:04 PM
"What games were you watching this year"

Exactly my point, the trade wasn't done this past year, it was done when Jackson was still a good point who could score. That was supposed to be the trade that put the Knicks into the Finals, a point who can distribute. Knicks, with a healthy Camby, beat the Raptors in 4 and go on to the 76ers, who beat the Raptors in 7. With a healthy Camby the Knicks contend in that series.
#Knickstaps
Vmart
USA
5/28/2002  5:20 PM
The Knicks were a good team last year but I think the addition of Jackson made them worse. The offense was a stagnant offense it became slower, worse defensively and I put that on the point guard. It spilled over to this year. Why do you think the Pacers traded him and Toranto too they saw him as the weak link on their team. They knew that they had to go in another direction. Layden saw that too and he went and got Eisley this year, he didn't know Eisley would be a total bust. If the Knick want to win they definitely have to go in another direction, Jax has had his run in the NBA and should consider coaching.
Knick2001
Member: #83
5/28/2002  5:39 PM
Hopefully Layden has saw the light! Trades for two veteran guards that have not worked out. It is high time that Layden starts hording all the draft picks he can. I would rather draft a young guard and suffer the learning curve as long as the player has the possibility of an upside. Not some aging veteran on the downside of his career looking for a fat retirement check from the Knicks. Veteran stopgap measures have failed miserably. Will bonehead Layden see the light, I hope so, but I am not counting on it.
BigSm00th
USA
5/28/2002  6:03 PM
I agree Jackson is now past his prime. I hope Layden and Dolan both see the Knicks won't be contenders and therefore should try to rebuild, apparently they think they can contend for a title, which is ridiculous.
#Knickstaps
nykinoz
Australia
5/28/2002  6:49 PM
Posted by Vmart:

Why do you think the Pacers traded him and Toranto too they saw him as the weak link on their team.

I don't think the Pacers traded him, he signed with the Raps as a FA.
As a player 4 player trade, i was ok with it, it was just stupidity to give them the draft pick. Childs had a shorter contract, was younger, played much better D, and we still give them a draft pick??
BigSm00th
USA
5/28/2002  6:54 PM
I also remember Childs having a huge, immovable contract and that was one of the reasons the Knicks jumped at the opportunity to get rid of him.
#Knickstaps
nykinoz
Australia
5/28/2002  8:43 PM
Posted by BigSm00th:

I also remember Childs having a huge, immovable contract and that was one of the reasons the Knicks jumped at the opportunity to get rid of him.

Childs is now out of contract and is a FA. He was making about 5mil, but will probably resign with the Raps for about half that, depending on who Toronto draft.
VG
Member: #68
Australia
5/29/2002  5:04 AM
Posted by nykinoz:
Posted by BigSm00th:

Childs is now out of contract and is a FA. He was making about 5mil, but will probably resign with the Raps for about half that, depending on who Toronto draft.

Yeah I think Childs will have to accept a paycut because Keon CLark should demand a pretty good contract now that he's a restricted FA...
tkf
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #87
5/30/2002  12:48 PM
yea, I have harped on this topic quite a bit on RealGm.com I hated that trade because we gave up the draft pick and childs had a shorter Deal than Jax, It was a bad deal then and looks even worse now, also although I like Othella I think we traded our other 1st round pick with strickland to get him, so we could of had 3 first round picks this year, that would have put us in a great position to make deals and really start rebuilding this team... this is why I put so little trust in Layden to turn this team around..
Anyone who sits around and waits for the lottery to better themselves, either in real life or in sports, Is a Loser............... TKF
Caseloads
Member: #41
5/30/2002  2:27 PM
trade othella for a 1st round pick? maybe late teens, to mid twenties?
Posted by tkf:

yea, I have harped on this topic quite a bit on RealGm.com I hated that trade because we gave up the draft pick and childs had a shorter Deal than Jax, It was a bad deal then and looks even worse now, also although I like Othella I think we traded our other 1st round pick with strickland to get him, so we could of had 3 first round picks this year, that would have put us in a great position to make deals and really start rebuilding this team... this is why I put so little trust in Layden to turn this team around..
BigSm00th
USA
5/30/2002  5:07 PM
Knicks traded Strickland and 1st rounder to get Harrington. The first rounder eventually wound up with Atlanta, who selected Jamaal Tinsley and traded him. That hurts.
#Knickstaps
The Jax / Childs deal

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy