larry brown close to buyout
Author Thread
Rich
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #511
USA
7/18/2005  4:46 PM
Posted by s3231:

There has to be a clause in the buyout that prevents Larry from coaching the Knicks this season (or even coaching period) so that they save face. I really doubt Detroit would let him coach us this season though I knew Larry wouldn't be back there next season. We won't have that bad of a shot at him next season though. Our roster may be more appealing by then as dj mentioned.

[Edited by - s3231 on 07/18/2005 16:29:20]

If the Knicks had talent, I would agree, but they don't. If I am the Pistons, I don't care what the Knicks do.
AUTOADVERT
sebstar
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #249
USA
7/18/2005  4:55 PM
The worst kept secret in the world is that Larry Brown is dying to coach the Knicks…eh, I don’t think using the verb dying was appropriate ----anyway, unless its regarding health concerns, sitting out for a year makes little sense, as its just delays the inevitable.

If Herb were to coach next year, with Brown waiting on the sidelines, one might as well change Herb’s name to Quack…Duke would be the very definition of a lame duck. It would be a mess, and a lost year.

According to ESPN it isn’t known if the buyout will contain a one-year sit out clause. Unless the Pistons are trying to be mean-spirited, Larry Brown will coach be our 2005-06 coach. That’s easy money. For all involved it’s the right thing
My saliva and spit can split thread into fiber and bits/ So trust me I'm as live as it gets. --Royce Da 5'9 + DJ Premier = Hip Hop Utopia
bobs3304
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #948
7/18/2005  4:58 PM
I think it's more likely that there's a clause in his contract that says he can't coach for the remainder of those 3 or so years, or he forfits the money. If Isiah offers him that 5 year 50 Million offer that someone mentioned, it might make him willing to forgoe the money that Detroit owes him.

Not sure if Davidson will issue a stipulation that says he can't coach the KNICKS in particular, but it's a possibility..
DLee is the best thing to happen to NY in Isiah's 4 year tenure. And that alone, though a positive on the radar, is sad as hell.
Rich
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #511
USA
7/18/2005  5:01 PM
Posted by bobs3304:

I think it's more likely that there's a clause in his contract that says he can't coach for the remainder of those 3 or so years, or he forfits the money. If Isiah offers him that 5 year 50 Million offer that someone mentioned, it might make him willing to forgoe the money that Detroit owes him.

Not sure if Davidson will issue a stipulation that says he can't coach the KNICKS in particular, but it's a possibility..

No court would ever uphold a clause that prohited anyone from working for more than one year.

[Edited by - Rich on 07/18/2005 17:16:47]
s3231
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #544
USA
7/18/2005  5:10 PM
I think there will be a clause preventing Larry from coaching this upcoming season in which if Larry decided to coach another team, that team would have to give the Pistons compensation of some sort.
"This is a very cautious situation that we're in. You have to be conservative in terms of using your assets and using them wisely. We're building for the future." - Zeke (I guess not protecting a first round pick is being conservative)
bobs3304
7/18/2005  5:12 PM
Posted by Rich:

No court whatever uphold a clause that prohited anyone from working for more than one year.

good.
DLee is the best thing to happen to NY in Isiah's 4 year tenure. And that alone, though a positive on the radar, is sad as hell.
simrud
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #474
USA
7/18/2005  5:15 PM
I think a clause that would waive money owed to Brown if he coaches again within the next 3 years is what makes sense the most.

I mean this is a business, not kingergarden. They can't just say, we'll let you go if don't play for the bad kids acorss the fence, nanannana, etc.
A glimmer of hope maybe?!?
s3231
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #544
USA
7/18/2005  6:12 PM
Posted by simrud:

I think a clause that would waive money owed to Brown if he coaches again within the next 3 years is what makes sense the most.

I mean this is a business, not kingergarden. They can't just say, we'll let you go if don't play for the bad kids acorss the fence, nanannana, etc.

I'm not sure about that. It wouldn't make sense at all for the Pistons to buy Larry out and then let him coach another team this season.
"This is a very cautious situation that we're in. You have to be conservative in terms of using your assets and using them wisely. We're building for the future." - Zeke (I guess not protecting a first round pick is being conservative)
HARDCOREKNICKSFAN
Alba Posts: 28
Member: #263
USA
7/18/2005  7:10 PM
Well if we do get Larry Brown to coach the Knicks next year, I hope Herb stays on as an assistant. That way if LB has to sit a few games out, he could sub. Herb can learn alot being under LB's wing.
Another season, and more adversity to persevere through. We will get the job done, even BETTER than last year. GO KNICKS!
WOODMANnYk
Member: #529
USA
7/18/2005  7:15 PM
If Herb Wiliams officially becomes Knicks coach then Isiah did a bad job finding a coach.. C'mon Herb Williams!!!!

The players didn't even play hard for him towards the end of the season..

You think Marbury is gonna listen to him??? THE KNICKS NEED A REAL FREAKIN COACH!!!!
The Future. GO KNICKS!
MaRbUrYiSaKnIcK
Member: #737
USA
7/18/2005  7:32 PM
If LB can do the same for billups,
he can do the same for marbury
Marbury is finally home at MSG!
diderotn
Member: #650
USA
7/18/2005  7:33 PM
The Knicks need a freaking superstar coach, and that superstar coach is Larry Brown. Sorry Herb, you have to wait.....Isiah should offer Larry whatever he wants...

Posted by WOODMANnYk:

If Herb Wiliams officially becomes Knicks coach then Isiah did a bad job finding a coach.. C'mon Herb Williams!!!!

The players didn't even play hard for him towards the end of the season..

You think Marbury is gonna listen to him??? THE KNICKS NEED A REAL FREAKIN COACH!!!!
The true Knickabocker..........
bobs3304
7/18/2005  7:40 PM
Larry Brown will reportedly accept the Knicks job if he's free to do so...

Godamn Bill Davidson. He better accept $$ in return for Brown's services. If he ****s up our season by prohibiting Larry from working, I'll be furious...
diderotn
Member: #650
USA
7/18/2005  7:43 PM
I think that Brown can pretty much do whatever he wants....He can coach, but he would have to return some of that money to Detroit....Which is not a bad deal, because Zeke is willing to make him the highest paying coach in the league....
The true Knickabocker..........
TheSage
Member: #386
7/18/2005  8:47 PM
Posted by s3231:

I think there will be a clause preventing Larry from coaching this upcoming season in which if Larry decided to coach another team, that team would have to give the Pistons compensation of some sort.

Non compete clauses have been held to be enforceable if they are reasonable in terms of time and area. The classic case involved a major international corporation where the non compete clause was for life on a worldwide basis. The court held that it was reasonable because of the amount of money involved.

I would believe that the clause, if well written, and I would assume that it would be, would be held to be valid. For example, if the clause said he could not coach in the NBA for the life of the agreement it would appropriately be held valid because of the amount of money involved and because he would have alternatives such as coaching in college, Europe, the WNBA or even high school.

[Edited by - TheSage on 07/18/2005 20:50:02]
larry brown close to buyout

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy