[ IMAGES: Images OFF turn on | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

WE need another Center.....
Author Thread
diderotn
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #650
USA
7/18/2005  1:07 PM
I have never heard of this dude before....However, we have to cleanup the PF position to be able to have a good rotation. If it is Sweetney and company that Zeke package to upgrade, I will be ok with it, but there is noone out there that I am willing to trade Sweetney for...Here is one trade that I would consider: Sweetney for Olowokandi....Kandi is only owed $6 million for next season and we could easily rid ourselves of that contract. He is not a star, but he can be a backup to James....with this deal, we would be able to kill 2 birds with one stone: create a spot at the PF position and add a backup Center, also, we could always turn around and packake Kandi's contract with one of our bad contracts at PF to sweeten a better deal for our club by the trade deadline; I.E. Kandi and TT for a big time Center...Lee could replace Sweetney while Sweet would be allow to blossom in the West instead of an eastern squad.
http://hoopshype.com/salaries/minnesota.htm

Posted by BRIGGS:

Earl Barron from Memphis has really stood out this summer. He is 7 feet 270--knowing that big men usually develop late, we could give him a minimum offer for 1 yr with two option years.

[Edited by - diderotn on 07/18/2005 13:12:32]
The true Knickabocker..........
AUTOADVERT
roblackman
Member: #926
7/18/2005  1:09 PM
90% of NBA teams need another center, why is this news?
And the reply is...a post that makes sense (still waiting)
JayNYC
Member: #682
USA
7/18/2005  1:15 PM
Posted by DarkKnicks:

All this BS about Channing playing PF is ridiculous in my opinion. Wasn't him a center? Because in that case we should have NEVER drafted him.

I kinda see Channing Frye as a power forward, regardless of what position we drafted him as.. and what he played in college. I really like the Rasheed Wallace comparisons, in the sense that he seems to be a real offensive talent. Has a decent low post arsenal... and can step away and drain 20 ft'rs with no problem. He is gonna "kill" with Marbury on the pick and roll (IMO)

The only problems I have are..

A) He really doesn't know how to play in the NBA yet, in terms of getting positioning, and body'ing up. Even if, he is more of a finesse player type.. he needs to be smarter in this area. (I think he'll get better here)

B) His defense needs WORK! He does challenge the opposition, which is a plus.. but he is foul prone. He needs to sure up in this area.

C) Rebounding numbers are suspect for a 6'11 cat.

Otherwise, I think the Rash Weed comparison is dead on; And if he turns out to be that type of player with Marbs.. that's all we need. I like Channing Frye's potential, and disagree w/ those who believe he'll be a bust. To me, invisioning him as a 16ppg 7reb pro is not far-fetched in years to come.

In summer league thus far, I think he has shown some "toughness" so that "knock" hasn't been proven as accurate yet either! I think we just gotta give him time to develop. Channing Frye is not gonna be a "superstar" BUT he can be a very good big man.

James/Butler
Frye/Sweetney/Rose/Taylor/J.Williams
T.Thomas/Ariza/Lee
Richardson/Crawford/Houston/Hardaway
Marbury/Robinson
Inhale deep like the words of my breath/ I never sleep, cause sleep is the cousin of death-- Circa 1994 Nasty Nas: NY State of Mind
diderotn
USA
7/18/2005  1:20 PM
How do you know that this kid is not going to be a superstar?????? You can actually see the future?????

Channing Frye is not gonna be a "superstar" BUT he can be a very good big man.

James/Butler
Frye/Sweetney/Rose/Taylor/J.Williams
T.Thomas/Ariza/Lee
Richardson/Crawford/Houston/Hardaway
Marbury/Robinson
simrud
Member: #474
USA
7/18/2005  1:28 PM
I suppose that is a right reserved only to you Dido? I mean you only make another prediction oh, every other day lol.
A glimmer of hope maybe?!?
JayNYC
USA
7/18/2005  1:30 PM
Posted by diderotn:

How do you know that this kid is not going to be a superstar?????? You can actually see the future?????

Why would you even ask such a lame question like that son? C'mon you already know the answer to that.. It's obviously an opinion.. What... Do you think he's gonna be a "superstar"???
[Edited by - JayNYC on 07/18/2005 13:32:43]

[Edited by - JayNYC on 07/18/2005 13:34:32]
Inhale deep like the words of my breath/ I never sleep, cause sleep is the cousin of death-- Circa 1994 Nasty Nas: NY State of Mind
diderotn
USA
7/18/2005  1:32 PM
I and no one can predict whether or not this kid will be a bust or a super-star. All we can do at this point of his career is be hopeful. If he turns out to be a super-that than great. We know that the kid has mad talent, but he has to put it all together with hard work, good coaching and opporturnity

Posted by JayNYC:
Posted by diderotn:

Why would you even ask such a lame question like that son? C'mon you already know the answer to that.. It's obviously an opinion.. What... Do you think he's gonna be a "superstar"???
JayNYC
USA
7/18/2005  1:41 PM
Posted by diderotn:

I and no one can predict whether or not this kid will be a bust or a super-star. All we can do at this point of his career is be hopeful. If he turns out to be a super-that than great. We know that the kid has mad talent, but he has to put it all together with hard work, good coaching and opporturnity

Lets just say we agree to disagree.. I'm not disputing the fact that I believe he has talent.. I don't know if you thoroughly read my post. But the fact is, He is not on-par with Kevin Garnett or Tim Duncan (Big Men, that carry their team AND DO EVERYTHING AT A HIGH LEVEL).. and I doubt that he will be.. THOSE ARE TRUE SUPERSTARS.

I'm not doubting that he can be an ALL-STAR caliber player, and I'd be happy with that.

As far as "SUPESTAR" labels are concerned, I believe you can spot this type of potential early, and I think its fairly safe to say that Channing Frye isn't gonna be that type of player. He just doesn't seem like he's gonna have that type of impact.

[Edited by - JayNYC on 07/18/2005 13:42:52]
roblackman
7/18/2005  1:44 PM
Posted by JayNYC:
Posted by diderotn:

Lets just say we agree to disagree.. I'm not disputing the fact that I believe he has talent.. I don't know if you thoroughly read my post. But the fact is, He is not on-par with Kevin Garnett or Tim Duncan (Big Men, that carry their team AND DO EVERYTHING AT A HIGH LEVEL).. and I doubt that he will be.. THOSE ARE TRUE SUPERSTARS.

I'm not doubting that he can be an ALL-STAR caliber player, and I'd be happy with that.

As far as "SUPESTAR" labels are concerned, I believe you can spot this type of potential early, and I think its fairly safe to say that Channing Frye isn't gonna be that type of player. He just doesn't seem like he's gonna have that type of impact.

[Edited by - JayNYC on 07/18/2005 13:42:52]

The great thing about basketball is that you don't need "superstars" to win, so who cares. As long as Frye does his thing and makes his teammates better we will win games.
JayNYC
USA
7/18/2005  1:52 PM
The great thing about basketball is that you don't need "superstars" to win, so who cares. As long as Frye does his thing and makes his teammates better we will win games.

I can even buy into that philosophy as well, although having one makes it a heck of a lot easier. Especially since only 1(DETROIT), out of the last 5 NBA Championship teams have had at least ONE on their squad.
roblackman
7/18/2005  1:53 PM
Posted by JayNYC:

I can even buy into that philosophy as well, although having one makes it a heck of a lot easier. Especially since only 1(DETROIT), out of the last 5 NBA Championship teams have had at least ONE on their squad.

Marbury is not a superstar?
diderotn
USA
7/18/2005  1:55 PM
one thing that you guys failed to account for in the last thread, Detroit might have not have a superstar player, but they had a superstar coach. It takes one of the two to win championships: superstar coach or player...
roblackman
7/18/2005  1:55 PM
Posted by diderotn:

one thing that you guys failed to account for in the last thread, Detroit might have not have a superstar player, but they had a superstar coach. It takes one of the two to win championships: superstar coach or player...

Thank god we have Herb Williams then.
DarkKnicks
Member: #882
Spain
7/18/2005  1:58 PM
All I know is I'm going to be if Frye becomes our next PF starter. Sweetney is better than him. I don't care about his heigh nor his athletism. Mike Sweetney is a better rebounder and scorer and it is not clear who is the better defender. I love Rasheed Wallace, in fact he has been one of my fav players, but I don't want Frye to turn into something like him and the Knicks don't need a Rasheed Wallace type of player. This Knicks need a C who can block shoots and get rebounds, and Frye was drafted to do that, or at least that's what it should have been.
JayNYC
USA
7/18/2005  2:00 PM

NO!!! But he is an all-star level point guard. And believe it or not is one of my favorite players in the league. When I use the term "superstar" I think of:

Kevin Garnett
Tim Duncan
Shaquille O'neal
Lebron James
Kobe Bryant
Tracy McGrady
Allen Iverson

Stephon Starbury is nasty.. thats my man.. but he doesn't do it like those cats for real! I put Steph on that second wave of NBA talent. IMO
diderotn
USA
7/18/2005  2:02 PM
Describe a super-star please....because to me a superstar is one that affect the game in many ways, I.E. marketing, wins, and most of all championship. I know that Marb has yet to win a big game, but he sure as hell has impacted the marketing department of our squad.

Posted by JayNYC:

NO!!! But he is an all-star level point guard. And believe it or not is one of my favorite players in the league. When I use the term "superstar" I think of:

Kevin Garnett
Tim Duncan
Shaquille O'neal
Lebron James
Kobe Bryant
Tracy McGrady
Allen Iverson

Stephon Starbury is nasty.. thats my man.. but he doesn't do it like those cats for real! I put Steph on that second wave of NBA talent. IMO
JayNYC
USA
7/18/2005  2:05 PM
Posted by DarkKnicks:

All I know is I'm going to be if Frye becomes our next PF starter. Sweetney is better than him. I don't care about his heigh nor his athletism. Mike Sweetney is a better rebounder and scorer and it is not clear who is the better defender. I love Rasheed Wallace, in fact he has been one of my fav players, but I don't want Frye to turn into something like him and the Knicks don't need a Rasheed Wallace type of player. This Knicks need a C who can block shoots and get rebounds, and Frye was drafted to do that, or at least that's what it should have been.

To me, Sweetney is better than Frye right now! But obviously, Frye has the higher ceiling, so we gotta go with that. Get the young guy in early and build his confidence.. and he has one greater advantage size. You can't teach height.

I gotta say though, Rasheed Wallace would be the perfect fit in this Knick System. IMO.. You are right that we need a center that blocks shots and grabs boards.. cool we got one in Jerome James. But we need a power forward that is long in length, runs the floor well, scores in a variety of ways and defends well.. If Frye can give us that then its a great pick up for us.

Pharzeone
Alba Posts: 14
Member: #871
7/18/2005  2:28 PM
Posted by JayNYC:
Posted by DarkKnicks:

To me, Sweetney is better than Frye right now! But obviously, Frye has the higher ceiling, so we gotta go with that. Get the young guy in early and build his confidence.. and he has one greater advantage size. You can't teach height.

I gotta say though, Rasheed Wallace would be the perfect fit in this Knick System. IMO.. You are right that we need a center that blocks shots and grabs boards.. cool we got one in Jerome James. But we need a power forward that is long in length, runs the floor well, scores in a variety of ways and defends well.. If Frye can give us that then its a great pick up for us.
I was about to say something similar. This forum is all about getting the high ceiling player. That's why guys wanted Bynum over Frye or take a chance on Kwame vs. JJ. Sweetney right now is a better player than Frye in some areas. Now what Sweets are we talking about. The guy who in rookie season played decent defense but regress the next season with additional minutes and especially as a starter. The guy who was a beast on the offensive boards his first year but didn't get as many his second. The guy who gets 18 points in the half and finish the game with 18 points. Let's not overestimate Sweet's ability. His stamina is a HUGE drawback. We all talk about Frye picking up fouls easily, I guess we all forget that Sweets is a foul machine himself. Personally I think all the Knick young players just need time to develop as a team and time in the weight room.
I don't like to play bad rookies , I like to play good rookies - Mike D'Antoni
bigpimpin
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #801
USA
7/18/2005  2:35 PM
Channing Frye and Jerome James.

I know New York can do better than this. I just know they can.
"Anyone who sits around waiting to hit the lottery, whether basketball or real life, in order to better their position is a loser."
simrud
Member: #474
USA
7/18/2005  2:35 PM
If Frye is PF then I don't understand how can anbody justify takin him at 8 over other players.

You say that we could not pick another swing player in Green, but how could we pick another PF going by that logic?

If Frye is not a C, then how can you afford to pass up a true C in Bynum? I mean Ike Digou and Wayne Simine could be better PFs then Frye, why not just trade down if you are so hell bent on not picking high school players. Walk out of the draft with 2 more prospects rather then a guy who playes the same position half your roster does.
A glimmer of hope maybe?!?
WE need another Center.....

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy