We are messy at the -2
Author Thread
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
7/17/2005  8:08 PM
i think 4-5 will work itself out well
and really we know the 1 is starbury Nate and craw

But Id like to see a situation where we use nate more. forget the SL mantra--everyone can see his talent, it isnt going to change, he still will have superior speed, overwhelming desire and athletiscm with really nice skill sets.

I see a problem with minutes at 2-3

maybe we count Malik as the 3rd 3 and JYD as an injury 3-4 as with lee? I dont know, but I think the team MIGHt be best set with 3 guards for good amounts of the game, perhaps knocking Tim Thomas down in minutes? I still think Tim Thomas might be better than Q, especially when he plays at peak--when he doesnt he can sit for 38minutes, but when he is on he can go for 25 points at a high% level.

I think Malik Rose OR JYD will see a small role, 1 or the other but not both unless we have FT/ Lee probably will be a spot/energy player/FT guy behind these 2 UNLESS he outplays them in camp.

I really think playing nate 25 minutes at 1-2 is pretty imperative to us getting better. he brings things to the table none of thoise guys have, including marbury. Im not comparing him to anyone, but just think its best for the cleb to make sure he gets his 25--maybe Marbury back to 32 to conserve his legs, crawford at 26-28 and Q 26-28--that means having 3 guard sets

We can also at time like
C Frye
F Q
G Craw
G Marbury
G Nate and spread it with speed--
RIP Crushalot😞
AUTOADVERT
rvhoss
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #777
Switzerland
7/17/2005  8:20 PM
I think, with nate being a rookie, they are going to bring him along slow giving him like 15 minutes a game combined at both the PG and SG positions.

Crawford will be getting like 30 a game.

Marbs will not be maintaining his league leading minutes totals, however, they can experiment with him at the 2 if need be, but for the most part, chalk him up for pretty much playing the entire game.

The two is pretty straight forward, Q starts.
Backing up the TT at the 3 is no worries...but looking at 1 through 3, we have 6 able bodies that could be looked at as an old school lineup...starters and backups.

pg: marbs/nate
sg: q/crawford
sf: TT/Ariza

i don't really seen any issues...q can play the 2 or 3, craw can play the 1 or 2, nate and marbs can play the 1 or 2 and Reezy can play the 3 (and 2 if needed), if TT moves anywhere else, it's to the 4.

I'm hoping both nate and lee develop at the same pace.

Has there been a "what to do with our PF issue" thread?

Because while you think it will work itself out, I see tons of DNP's to go around.
all kool aid all the time.
bobs3304
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #948
7/17/2005  8:24 PM
The solution to that problem is unloading 1 to 2 of our PF's whether by trade or simply waiving them.

Personally, I'm not sold that our starting PF situation is solved just yet, but I'm def. willing to see how Frye pans out before passing judgement. We have some solid role-playing 4's, but just too many of them. I think Taylor and Sweetney would be the first to go, simply b/c they're only suited to the half court set, whereas we need more versatility (Frye, JYD, etc.).

Not sure who's available and when, but I'd love to be able to unload those 2, along with Penny. Granted, I'd rather keep Sweets but he's really the only PF we have with trade value. If we could get rid of Taylor that'd be amazing, but it's gonna be hard. JYD would be easier to deal, but I'd rather keep him. So this glut is far more of a problem then some realize, b/c it's gonna thwart the development of guys like Lee and Frye, especially with Herb as coach.
DLee is the best thing to happen to NY in Isiah's 4 year tenure. And that alone, though a positive on the radar, is sad as hell.
diderotn
Member: #650
USA
7/17/2005  8:32 PM
At the 2 I do believe that we can plug in a couple of guys for different purposes in there. We already know that Q will be the starter, but at times, we can have Nate at the point with Marburry shifting to the SG position, especially during nights when he is really hot shooting the ball. The question should be, whether or not our coach will be smart enough to intelligently use our assets. I don't believe that there is such a thing as a bad team, but I do believe that there are bad coaches. Any good coach can get productivity out of a roster, especially if there are some talents on the bench...Creativity as a coach is an excellent thing...
The true Knickabocker..........
Elite
Alba Posts: 23
Member: #510

7/17/2005  8:36 PM
briggs why do u always count out JW like he isnt a good player??? i seen u place Taylor ahead of him in rotations u cant be serious... Jerome plays his ASS off and inspires everyone on the court its invaluble i would like to see hiim on the floor as much as possible
knicks1248
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #582
7/17/2005  8:39 PM
Posted by diderotn:

At the 2 I do believe that we can plug in a couple of guys for different purposes in there. We already know that Q will be the starter, but at times, we can have Nate at the point with Marburry shifting to the SG position, especially during nights when he is really hot shooting the ball. The question should be, whether or not our coach will be smart enough to intelligently use our assets. I don't believe that there is such a thing as a bad team, but I do believe that there are bad coaches. Any good coach can get productivity out of a roster, especially if there are some talents on the bench...Creativity as a coach is an excellent thing...

Good point, is H2O officially gone yet, because I really don't see the logic in waiving him to save tax money. The only one who benfits from that, is Jimmy D any way.
ES
rvhoss
Switzerland
7/17/2005  8:48 PM
Posted by Elite:

briggs why do u always count out JW like he isnt a good player??? i seen u place Taylor ahead of him in rotations u cant be serious... Jerome plays his ASS off and inspires everyone on the court its invaluble i would like to see hiim on the floor as much as possible

The guy is cool and fun and all, but expendable. I don't want to see him on the court as much as possible, I'd rather see rose.

Sweets and Mo are post up players, can't see the reason to get rid of both unless it's for salary purposes, but then, I wouldn't mind having a JYD AND Rose. Energy and effort subbing for energy and effort.

[Edited by - rvhoss on 07/17/2005 20:50:40]
rvhoss
Switzerland
7/17/2005  8:51 PM
clarification...I think the only reason i am high on sweets is because the board seems to be, but with the team we have, any two can go and it won't effect us at all...Lee is the future, and frye can play the 4 or 5.
BRIGGS
7/17/2005  8:59 PM
Posted by Elite:

nothing against the JYD. the JYD will be 33 next season and i feel like it is time to move younger. im hoping that a team can see value in the JYD--maybe a weatherspoon for JYD swap for a year less on the contract and loosen up the roster. cw wouldnt care if he doesnt play, and jyd on the rockets would be a nice fit. our team needs to find ways for ariza and lee to play--its the cycle we are in
RIP Crushalot😞
rvhoss
Switzerland
7/17/2005  9:02 PM
forget about the JYD slights (I agree with you BRIGGS) what's with the infatuation with Weatherspoon?

Didn't we get rid of him once when he did nothing for us?
bobs3304
7/17/2005  9:06 PM
Posted by BRIGGS:

i think 4-5 will work itself out well

And how exactly do you figure that????????
DLee is the best thing to happen to NY in Isiah's 4 year tenure. And that alone, though a positive on the radar, is sad as hell.
diderotn
USA
7/17/2005  9:10 PM
A trade is definitely needed. We still need another 7' to backup JJ...trading Swwetney and Penny for another big and draft pick would make room at the PF position for Frye to start.
Killa4luv
Alba Posts: 51
Member: #261
USA
7/17/2005  9:13 PM
Posted by BRIGGS:

our team needs to find ways for ariza and lee to play--its the cycle we are in
Maybe you missed the memo, but we are trying to win, not shift a roster around so 2 developing players get 30 minutes per game.

I think we will see alot of 3 guard playing because that will be our best offensive lineup, and it will allow Marbs to be really creative with the ball.

I think the lineup is one of these:

Steph
Q
TT
Sweets
James

or

Steph
Craw
Q
TT
James

I really don't see how it would be anything other than those two.
diderotn
USA
7/17/2005  9:21 PM
Dude, I think that Zeke will have other idea when it comes to our lineup...Frye wasn't drafted to warmup the bench.....

I really don't see how it would be anything other than those two.
BRIGGS
7/17/2005  9:28 PM
Posted by Killa4luv:

[quote]Posted by BRIGGS:

our team needs to find ways for ariza and lee to play--its the cycle we are in
Maybe you missed the memo, but we are trying to win, not shift a roster around so 2 developing players get 30 minutes per game.

our team scked last year, it's IMPERATIVE to get Frye and Nate NICE minutes, not because they are developing, because they bring superior individual assets to winning. This is a transition period, if we win great, but the main theme must be driving in the right direction and that starts with the young guys being inergrated heavily. I think Frye and Nate will help on defense where guys like EVERYONE in our backcourt and most of the frontcourt cant. These guys are both lottery talents, WE ARE NOT GOOD enough with the guys we had, at the first hint of a Tim Thomas let down, personally I think that is all for TT and the Knicks. He better bring it in day 1 and he better realize that we are sharing time here.

Isiah has done a good job in terms of the draft and the younger players w epicked up like craw. He hasnt faired well with vets. this team needs a strong youthful infusion. It worked VERY VERY well for the Bulls last year. I can see Nate being able to bring a Ben gordon like impact, and I feel IF they keep Frye in the right position, he will be a 15+7 guy who can block 2 shots and shoot +50%

Im much more of a craw guy than Q, I like the way Craw ended the season. Id like to give him every opportunity to start it right back up like that, although he will get less minutes.

I can see Q as the 6th man and a guy we can use in 3 and 4 guard set ups.
RIP Crushalot😞
crzymdups
Member: #671
USA
7/17/2005  9:39 PM
Briggs, I think the issue with Tim is thst he's not dependable. With Q, you may not get the 25pts on 10-14 shooting, but you know what you're getting. Tim could give you 25pts or 5pts. It's unreliable, and while Q isn't the best defender, at least he gives you the effort. Q seems to be the player more conducive to a winning environment than Tim. I expect to see Tim phased out this year, unless we are showcasing him for a trade. I doubt highly that Tim is here come March 1, 2006.
¿ △ ?
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
7/17/2005  11:13 PM
the rooks will have to EARN their minutes.

isiah at the q&a:

Q: "why didn't you play ariza and sweets down the stretch of the season after the season was over?"

A: "my belief is that you earn your minutes. nothing should be handed to you and it was my call for them not to get extensive minutes. i wanted them to earn what they get, minutes won't be handed out"

translation - nate, lee, and EVEN frye will have to play their way to minutes. (maybe not frye but i'm not sure). but i easily seeing nate being 3rd string PG BEHIND craw for now - maybe getting 8-10 mins a night. lee will be LUCKY to crack 3 mins a game b/c of the roster problem. frye will get chances but don't be surprised with many 10-15 min nights.
bobs3304
7/17/2005  11:43 PM
exactly what I've been trying to say.

it awaits to be seen whether Isiah will push for another trade before the deadline (to reel in a legit starting PF), but I think everyone would admit that it's something atleast worth looking into.
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
7/17/2005  11:48 PM
Posted by bobs3304:

exactly what I've been trying to say.

it awaits to be seen whether Isiah will push for another trade before the deadline (to reel in a legit starting PF), but I think everyone would admit that it's something atleast worth looking into.

i totally don't agree with it tho. they really need to throw them out into the fire - like what we SHOULD'VE done with sweets last season instead of some half assed attempt. if we just purely ran the offense through him for those last 5-7 games in april, we may have a better idea if we could've run the offense through him at all. but we're still stuck in limbo with him. it was a wasted opportunity for us.
Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
7/17/2005  11:50 PM
I'm still confused. If Marbury, Richardson, and Thomas start, how do you fine minutes for Crawford, Robinson, and Ariza. There aren't enough for all of them. I always figured IT would find a trade for Thomas, and Richardson would start at the 3 with Crawford at the 2. That makes the most sense to me.
We are messy at the -2

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy