[ IMAGES: Images OFF turn on | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

MSL... Minny vs. NYK
Author Thread
rain
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #353
USA
7/16/2005  11:12 PM
Channing had a nice game against weak foes... Lee keeps rolling.. Nate solid.

http://www.nba.com/timberwolves/gameday/knicks_recap_050716.html
AUTOADVERT
teslawlo
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #699
USA
7/16/2005  11:26 PM
if nate produces half of what he does in the SL, we are all set for the backup G positions
http://allknicks.com
bobs3304
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #948
7/16/2005  11:34 PM
I think we need to bring in a K-Mart-esque type of player that provides all the intangibles, but doesn't need Max. MPG to be effective. Hopefully, we can bring in a PF that can play solid D and do all the little things for us. The reason I say this is b/c it wouldn't take away from Frye's development. Elton Brand is without a doubt one of the best players in the league flat out, but he demands atleast 35+ MPG, simply b/c of his talent level. Someone like Drew Gooden might be a good fit. Point being that I just don't see Sweetney surviving a whole year here.

Maybe Crawford and 06 S.A. for Gooden, Newble. Anyways, just thinking out loud. There are plenty of options out there, but the difficult part is gaging who's available and when.
DLee is the best thing to happen to NY in Isiah's 4 year tenure. And that alone, though a positive on the radar, is sad as hell.
tkf
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #87
7/17/2005  12:03 AM
Good to see frye,lee and nate continue to play well, frye had his way it sounds like from the write up on the wolves SL page and nice stats for just 17 minutes of play...
Anyone who sits around and waits for the lottery to better themselves, either in real life or in sports, Is a Loser............... TKF
rain
Member: #353
USA
7/17/2005  5:29 AM
Posted by bobs3304:

I think we need to bring in a K-Mart-esque type of player that provides all the intangibles, but doesn't need Max. MPG to be effective. Hopefully, we can bring in a PF that can play solid D and do all the little things for us.

Could Lee be the guy your talking about? Not Kmart's hops but everything else seems to point to a guy with versatility, smarts, defense, ball mobving skills and intensity. All this with plus athleticism. Think about it.
franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
7/17/2005  7:36 AM
Posted by rain:
Posted by bobs3304:

I think we need to bring in a K-Mart-esque type of player that provides all the intangibles, but doesn't need Max. MPG to be effective. Hopefully, we can bring in a PF that can play solid D and do all the little things for us.

Could Lee be the guy your talking about? Not Kmart's hops but everything else seems to point to a guy with versatility, smarts, defense, ball mobving skills and intensity. All this with plus athleticism. Think about it.

Yea- I mean we got a bunch of those guys- Lee, Rose & JYD.
NYK3
Member: #725
USA
7/17/2005  10:19 AM
did you guys see the higlights of Nates putback dunk?...all i have to say is WOW, it didnt count but it was still crazy for someone his size
I wasn't born with enough middle fingers!!!
MaulingandAppalling
Member: #884
7/17/2005  11:19 AM
What was the final score?
teslawlo
Member: #699
USA
7/17/2005  11:20 AM
Posted by NYK3:

did you guys see the higlights of Nates putback dunk?...all i have to say is WOW, it didnt count but it was still crazy for someone his size
anyone got vid of that
http://allknicks.com
NYK3
Member: #725
USA
7/17/2005  11:30 AM
Posted by teslawlo:
Posted by NYK3:

anyone got vid of that
watch sportsdesk right now if you can, it just started so the Knicks highlights should be on in about 10 minutes
I wasn't born with enough middle fingers!!!
bobs3304
7/17/2005  12:33 PM
Posted by franco12:
Posted by rain:

Yea- I mean we got a bunch of those guys- Lee, Rose & JYD.

No. Lee is a ROOKIE. Rookies don't make that type of impact on a (supposedly) playoff-bound team. JYD I like, but he can't sustain that effort for 30+ MPG. Frye, again, is a ROOKIE. I like his game, but he's only good for 20 MPG next season, especially with Herb most likely returning as coach. Rose is a battle-tested veteran who, while providing leadership and poise, is only good for around 15 MPG. Taylor - same goes for him. Sweetney is the only possibility, but I just don't see him giving us what we need. He's a slouch on the weakside, and that's really where we're gonna need help. James will be able to put a body on anyone in the paint, and he'll still get his blocks one way or the other, but we need someone who can become a weakside beast. Guys like K-Mart, Brand, and Camby.

DLee is the best thing to happen to NY in Isiah's 4 year tenure. And that alone, though a positive on the radar, is sad as hell.
simrud
Member: #474
USA
7/17/2005  12:55 PM
I agree if you think we are a playoff team.

However, I personally don't think we are, we are a bad team and we should play our rooks a lot.
A glimmer of hope maybe?!?
bobs3304
7/17/2005  1:04 PM
Posted by simrud:

I agree if you think we are a playoff team.

However, I personally don't think we are, we are a bad team and we should play our rooks a lot.

Why would Isiah bring in a 29 y/o Center, all the while keeping Marbury, and having brought in veteran PF's like Taylor and Rose if he thought there was even a slightly good chance we'd be rebuilding?

The rookies will more or less get rookie minutes. I see Isiah making one last trade b/w now and the deadline (for a proven PF/C)

[Edited by - bobs3304 on 07/17/2005 13:04:42]
simrud
USA
7/17/2005  1:07 PM
You are 100% right, however there is one problem with it all.

No matter what IT thinks, the teams sucks. That is why I was and am against the trades for Taylor, Rose, James, etc.

These role playes will not make us a playoff team. Not even close. And Marbury has proven that he is not gonna do that all by himself either. He needs a 2nd star player to help him out. Just like any other star player, just ask Kobe and Garnett. You can't even make the playoffs as a one man team. Unless your coach is Larry Brown and you are Iverson.

[Edited by - simrud on 07/17/2005 13:08:22]
bobs3304
7/17/2005  1:12 PM
Posted by simrud:

No matter what IT thinks, the teams sucks. That is why I was and am against the trades for Taylor, Rose, James, etc.

These role playes will not make us a playoff team. Not even close. And Marbury has proven that he is not gonna do that all by himself either. He needs a 2nd star player to help him out. Just like any other star player, just ask Kobe and Garnett. You can't even make the playoffs as a one man team. Unless your coach is Larry Brown and you are Iverson.

which is why I expect Isiah to use Penny, Sweetney, and a draft pick to land a legit Big Man to compliment James and put this team over the top.

it all depends on who's available and when...

[Edited by - bobs3304 on 07/17/2005 13:12:50]
JohnWallace44
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #910
USA
7/17/2005  2:27 PM
Posted by bobs3304:
Posted by simrud:

which is why I expect Isiah to use Penny, Sweetney, and a draft pick to land a legit Big Man to compliment James and put this team over the top.

it all depends on who's available and when...

[Edited by - bobs3304 on 07/17/2005 13:12:50]

Please stop insisting that Isiah is going to trade trash for treasure. How many "quality" big men are there in the league? If a GM traded one of the better big men in the league for Penny they would be fired the next day regardless of the cap savings. That is just not going to happen. Look at what we're being asked to give up/take on for Antoine. That should give you an idea of what it would take to get a player better than that. We need to let some of those contracts die out. We have multiple players who will be making more than 2 million per minute played this year, (Rose, Mo, Penny, JYD). Rose is really the best front court player left on this roster, but he can't get huge minutes on this team.

Also we can't just get any big man that a team wants to jettison. We'd have to get one that fits the system, and those are even more rare. In the end we are better off now and in the long run starting Frye at the 4 and using Rose, Sweets, and James at center. The truth is that if this team is coached well we have the pieces to be successful this year.

Steph - Nate
Q-Rich - Craw
TT - Ariza
Frye - JYD - Lee - Taylor
Rose - James - Sweets

Really this is a big talent jump from last year, so its all up to the coaching. They should either get Westphal and Ewing in here to be assistants or Isiah should just coach the team and stop making all these moves.

Alan Hahn: Nate Robinson has been on a ridonkulous scoring tear lately (remember when he couldn't hit Jerome James with a Big Mac in early January?)
bobs3304
7/17/2005  2:43 PM
There's always a slight chance guys like Elton Brand will be available sometime down the road. But more likely than not, they won't. But there are, without a doubt, still options out there that WOULD fit in well and who would be attainable for the right price.

AND FOR THE LAST TIME -- Frye is a ROOKIE. Jesus. How many minutes do you expect a rookie to get? I see 20 a game as a possibility, but no more than that. He's not starter material, and as a matter of fact, no other PF we have is. Only JYD provides any assemblance of weak-side help, and even then, he's not starting-caliber. We need a K-Mart type of player, plain and simple.

Frye may be that for us in 2-3 years, but certainly not now. I agree we should wait until training camp and the early stages of next season to actually find out for sure, but I'm confident nonetheless that another trade will be necessary before the deadline...
JohnWallace44
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #910
USA
7/17/2005  6:04 PM
Posted by bobs3304:

There's always a slight chance guys like Elton Brand will be available sometime down the road. But more likely than not, they won't. But there are, without a doubt, still options out there that WOULD fit in well and who would be attainable for the right price.

AND FOR THE LAST TIME -- Frye is a ROOKIE. Jesus. How many minutes do you expect a rookie to get? I see 20 a game as a possibility, but no more than that. He's not starter material, and as a matter of fact, no other PF we have is. Only JYD provides any assemblance of weak-side help, and even then, he's not starting-caliber. We need a K-Mart type of player, plain and simple.

Frye may be that for us in 2-3 years, but certainly not now. I agree we should wait until training camp and the early stages of next season to actually find out for sure, but I'm confident nonetheless that another trade will be necessary before the deadline...

Bobs, come on... Brand? For TT and what? Wasn't the whole point of Frye and James to have a shotblocking presence that we haven't had since Camby? So we're going to play Mo Taylor and Rose instead?

In reality James is not going to play more than half the minutes at center, he's done nothing to suggest that's possible. That means we have to have Rose available to sub for him, and Frye has to start at the 4. The only other answer is starting Tim Thomas at the 4, with Q and Craw at the 2 and 3. Honestly that's horrble. The team would still be tiny.

The whole point of this off-season was to get bigger, if we can't get Frye to play starter minutes then we will be smaller than ever.

Alan Hahn: Nate Robinson has been on a ridonkulous scoring tear lately (remember when he couldn't hit Jerome James with a Big Mac in early January?)
crzymdups
Member: #671
USA
7/17/2005  6:08 PM
Posted by bobs3304:

Listen, I know you aren't used to this being a Knicks fan, but rookies DO get playing time in the NBA. Frye is going to play 25-30 minutes. You've asked before what 8th pick has ever come in and got minutes and I'll told you: Baker, Kittles and Andre Miller all played 30mpg their rookie season. If you look at the lotto, many, many lotto players get major minutes their rookie year - whether their team is in the playoff race or out of it. Frye is going to play. So is Nate. These rookies weren't taken as window dressing, they were taken as core players - they've been at school for a while (4 yrs for Frye, 3yrs for NAte) - they're ready to contribute major minutes.

Accept it.
¿ △ ?
simrud
USA
7/17/2005  6:35 PM
Well, I think Frye should play all the minutes he can, he is clearly the best bigman on the team. It does not say much abou the rest of the bigs, but if he is the better one, why not play him more minutes and have him learn through his mistakes?
MSL... Minny vs. NYK

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy