the job of a power forward
Author Thread
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
7/16/2005  1:14 PM
Posted by Killa4luv:

I am not sold on the idea that Ike Diogu will be a force in the league. He is tough, but he is little. If we drafted an undersized PF, I would have died.
He's not little... he's got a 7'4 wingspan. He's bigger and stronger than Boozer with a longer reach. His standing reach is one inch shorter than Frye.. the guy that everyone is happy to have at center because he's NOT undersized.

Again... one move contradicts the next. Everyone that writes about sports says it. Only a handfull of genious Knick fans seem to know the wisdom here
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
AUTOADVERT
crzymdups
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #671
USA
7/16/2005  1:23 PM
Posted by fishmike:
Posted by Killa4luv:

I am not sold on the idea that Ike Diogu will be a force in the league. He is tough, but he is little. If we drafted an undersized PF, I would have died.
He's not little... he's got a 7'4 wingspan. He's bigger and stronger than Boozer with a longer reach. His standing reach is one inch shorter than Frye.. the guy that everyone is happy to have at center because he's NOT undersized.

Again... one move contradicts the next. Everyone that writes about sports says it. Only a handfull of genious Knick fans seem to know the wisdom here

Diogu is still 6'6.5" in socks either way you slice it. His arms may be long, but his legs and/or trunk is short. Short is short. I think short guys who succeed, it's more about heart than arm length.

And while I don't particularly like the JJames signing, I would hardly say that move contradicts what was done in the draft. If he brings in Walker, fine, I agree there's no plan. But I think James fits into the plan and is someone who can split time at center with Frye or play side by side with him. Frye is big, but he isn't physical enough for some of the bigger guys.
¿ △ ?
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
7/16/2005  1:32 PM
whatever... when he stands up and lifts his arms above his head he's got one inch less then Frye, so I think thats BS, unless they are instituting a new rule that says you can lift your arms above your head.

This Frye vs. Diogu debate was all about results and toughness. The fact the Frye didnt assert himself in the SL vs. inferior competition is a bad start. I'm not going to micro analyze every minute he's on the floor. I hope he plays well, but this is Isiah doing the same thing Layden did.

Rather than building a team he just picked up the best available player to fill a spot regardless of cost or style of play. Next thing you know you have a $100mm talented roster of players that are good for 30 win seasons.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
7/16/2005  1:56 PM
Rather than building a team he just picked up the best available player to fill a spot regardless of cost or style of play. Next thing you know you have a $100mm talented roster of players that are good for 30 win seasons.

hah you're beginning to sound like me Fish!
tkf
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #87
7/16/2005  6:33 PM
Posted by fishmike:

whatever... when he stands up and lifts his arms above his head he's got one inch less then Frye, so I think thats BS, unless they are instituting a new rule that says you can lift your arms above your head.

This Frye vs. Diogu debate was all about results and toughness. The fact the Frye didnt assert himself in the SL vs. inferior competition is a bad start. I'm not going to micro analyze every minute he's on the floor. I hope he plays well, but this is Isiah doing the same thing Layden did.

fish, you make a good point but at some time, size is size, you mean to tell me that if marbury had super long arms, and his reach was just one inch shorter than diagu, then marbs could play PF for the knicks? I mean that seems to be the line of logic here...
Anyone who sits around and waits for the lottery to better themselves, either in real life or in sports, Is a Loser............... TKF
tkf
7/16/2005  6:55 PM
Posted by bobs3304:

http://draftexpress.com/viewarticle.php?a=1046

" Channing Frye – Frye played a smart game, staying involved around the basket and making his presence felt on the defensive end. However, he should have been able to dominate the likes of Pape Sow, Marcus Haislip, and Uros Slokar, and that just didn’t happen. Frye doesn’t seem comfortable with his back to the basket, and that’s not something I like to see out of a guy that’s supposed to be polished and ready to play. "

^ My point...

[Edited by - bobs3304 on 07/16/2005 13:15:15]

Andrew Bogut – This performance definitely wasn’t what you’d expect from a number one pick playing his first summerleague game (7 points, 3-6 shooting, 4 rebounds, 5 fouls, 3 blocks, 3 turnovers). Bogut didn’t play poorly, but just didn’t stand out against defenders like Dwayne Jones, Nick Horvath, and Nikoloz Tskitishvili. He struggled to gain position in the post, and just didn’t get very many high percentage opportunities. Bogut’s court awareness, ability to get his shot off, and understanding of the game were evident – I fully expect him to shake off this performance and come out much stronger tomorrow. However, from this first impression, Andrew Bogut has some serious work to do in terms of strength and athleticism.

So again, what is your point?
Anyone who sits around and waits for the lottery to better themselves, either in real life or in sports, Is a Loser............... TKF
bobs3304
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #948
7/16/2005  7:27 PM
I'm not worried about Bogut. I see your point, but it doesn't change my perception of what I've seen from Frye so far. When he starts producing, I'll make an apology in full. Until then, seeing is believing...
DLee is the best thing to happen to NY in Isiah's 4 year tenure. And that alone, though a positive on the radar, is sad as hell.
tkf
7/16/2005  7:30 PM
Posted by bobs3304:

I'm not worried about Bogut. I see your point, but it doesn't change my perception of what I've seen from Frye so far. When he starts producing, I'll make an apology in full. Until then, seeing is believing...

bogut bust in his first game and yet you are not worried. Frye had a decent SL actually looked very comptent offensively, and you are waiting for him to produce? WOW..

I am willing to make this prediction.. Frye will have a better first year than Bogut, Green, and bynum....
bobs3304
7/16/2005  7:33 PM
I'm not worried about Bogut b/c I'm not a Bucks fan. I could care less what he does. Frye hasn't done anything significant so far to warrant his lottery status. When he does, I'll be the first to admit we were all too hard on him from the get-go.

DLee is the best thing to happen to NY in Isiah's 4 year tenure. And that alone, though a positive on the radar, is sad as hell.
crzymdups
Member: #671
USA
7/16/2005  7:42 PM
Posted by fishmike:

Height doesn't concern just your arms. It means Diogu has a short body, his shoulders are lower, he's easier to see over, it's easier to contain a guy like that. I'm sorry, but unless they have the heart of Barkley, long arms on a short guy don't mean much to me.

And I don't think the Jerome James signing is the end of the world - even if the guy does indeed start, he'll be playing backup minutes. James isn't a foundation player, he's a role player and that role is guard the other team's super big. Should we call him the Bynum Stopper?
¿ △ ?
rojasmas
Member: #639
7/16/2005  7:50 PM
I am figuring James to start and Sweetney to start at PF. That said, James isn't going to play more than 30 minutes a game and Sweetney probably isn't either. Foul trouble will happen for both lots of times and they are both not in great shape. So Frye will get 20-25 minutes a game at Center and PF combined. TT will also see some minutes at PF, as well as SF.
We could be the Dallas Mavs of the East.
matt
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #487
USA
7/16/2005  8:01 PM
Posted by bobs3304:
Posted by Rich:

When the GM publicly states that he would pick Frye over Bogut, fans have a right to have high expectations.

[Edited by - Rich on 07/16/2005 12:32:14]

Perception is one thing. Reality is another...

Exactly, if Isiah said PRIVATELY that he would pick Frye over Bogut, then we should have high expectations; publicly is just making Frye feel right
Ira
Member: #91
7/16/2005  8:42 PM
Posted by crzymdups:

Height doesn't concern just your arms. It means Diogu has a short body, his shoulders are lower, he's easier to see over, it's easier to contain a guy like that. I'm sorry, but unless they have the heart of Barkley, long arms on a short guy don't mean much to me.

Well then why did the short Diogu outplayed the tall Frye whenever they went head to head?
Stevo718
Member: #559
7/17/2005  1:31 AM
JJ will not play over 26 minutes a game and if Frye stays out of foul trouble I don't see him playing more then 24 minutes a game.

Sweets won't play more then 26 minutes a game as well.

Let's face it none of our big men will see more then 26 minutes a game.

And that might not be a bad thing if everyone is playing their heart out for those 20 or so minutes they are in the game. That's a ****load of fouls that we can give. With these many players playing fresh and this many fouls there should be absolutely no layups or dunks ALLOWED PERIOD. We should develop a reputation for being rough in the paint and I'm crossing my fingers JJ will be nasty and then hopefully players like Sweetney will follow. That would be sweet seeing Fat boy and Fat boy Jr smothering people.

We should turn the paint into a black hole. It feels good knowing that we won't have to see K.Thomas just standing under the basket giving everyone a free dunk or layup anymore.
bobs3304
7/17/2005  1:51 AM
Heres the thing:

What you're describing is last years' Sonics in a nutshell. Only problem is that they had a better team than we do now. I think we need to keep JYD and Rose. I'd love to get rid of Taylor, Sweetney, Penny, and the S.A. 06 1st. Whether that's in 1 whole move, or 2, who knows. But I think Isiah is molding this team more after Seattle than Pheonix. All we need is a better starting PF via trade, and we're good to go...
the job of a power forward

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy