[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Laid Inn
Author Thread
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
7/16/2005  12:41 AM

Layden got Laid into big time for his pursuit for Jerome, yet Isiah gets kudos!

Just an observation.

My opinion: Small insignificant move that makes sense and will never kill us!

Didn't Vin get more per year?

Crazy from the heat, such snit flinging going on other forums!

Anybody see those new lenny wilkens coaching tips promo crap hype with dick Helm on NBA TV? What crap. Makes you miss Scott Layden on TV! Actually, I was watching one nite and did not realize it was him and was impressed by him!

Yeah, who would have thought his true calling is on TV? Go figure!

We need a new Alba update!
AUTOADVERT
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
7/16/2005  12:46 AM
I wouldn't go so far as to give Isiah kudos for signing Jerome James. There were many players I preferred for the MLE before the post-season started, but once it became clear that none were available for the MLE, James seemed like an *okay* choice. The MLE options were probably James, Hunter, or someone worse
Knicksfan
Alba Posts: 27
Member: #691
USA
7/16/2005  12:58 AM
Posted by Nalod:

Just an observation.

Anybody see those new lenny wilkens coaching tips promo crap hype with dick Helm on NBA TV? What crap. Makes you miss Scott Layden on TV! Actually, I was watching one nite and did not realize it was him and was impressed by him!

Can't agree more about this!
Knicks_Fan
Marv
Alba Posts: 69
Member: #315
7/16/2005  1:05 AM
Posted by Knicksfan:
Posted by Nalod:

Just an observation.

Can't agree more about this!

Speaking of that, didn't SIlver's girl Tiffani get hitched??

My condolences, dude!
TheloniusMonk
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #705
USA
7/16/2005  1:07 AM
Posted by Nalod:

Just an observation.

For one, i wasn't even against it then. But it would have been questionable moreso then because of the makeup of the team at that time. Nothing but slow moving vets for the most part. Everyone was itching for SOME type of athleticism. James has never been that. On this team we have about 6 athletic dudes. James is a role player know matter how u look at it. But a role player is only as valuable as the best players on that team.
'You can catch me in Hollis at the hero shop!' -Tony Yayo
newyorknewyork
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #541
7/16/2005  1:12 AM
It all has to do with James dropping 17-9-2 on Brad Miller who averaged 11pts 4rebs 4assist 4fouls himself and the Kings. Thats the only thing people are holding out hope for.
https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
Rich
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #511
USA
7/16/2005  1:43 AM
Here is something that Layden, and by implication Dolan, never understood: public relations matter. Consequently, Isiah and Layden could make identical moves and Isiah would be shown more patience by the media and the fans because he knows how to schmooze them.
Ira
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #91
7/16/2005  4:58 AM
I'm not a big fan of Jerome James, but given the choice between overpaying James some and trading Q in order to get Kwame, I think Iasiah made the right coide.
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
7/16/2005  7:08 AM
Posted by newyorknewyork:

It all has to do with James dropping 17-9-2 on Brad Miller who averaged 11pts 4rebs 4assist 4fouls himself and the Kings. Thats the only thing people are holding out hope for.

of course brad miller was also hobbled up by a broken leg.

he got paid market value i guess and we were the ones that were desperate enough to throw it to him. it was slim pickin's at this point so i guess isiah felt he HAD to sign someone.

not an end all be all so we'll see how it shakes out but 5 years is 5 years so he's ours for at least 3 of them...
Silverfuel
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #268
USA
7/16/2005  7:18 AM
Posted by Marv:

My condolences, dude!
It broke my heart but I have to move on.
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
7/16/2005  10:03 AM
Posted by Nalod:

Vin got ~$3 mil per, about half of what JJ's making, which was still overpaying for a washed up veteran...& he averaged just about what JJ has over his career while in a Knicks uniform...how sad is that? can you blame me for not agreeing w/the contract JJ was signed to?
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
sebstar
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #249
USA
7/18/2005  5:07 PM
Admittedly, Nalod is probably right. If one were to transport this same exact signing to 2002 during the Layden regime, the signing might be viewed through a different lens. (although, plenty of people have been critical). But the riddle is this: Jerome James is signed to a team that is boring and un-athletic where certain numbers are expected; Jerome James is signed to an athletic team packed with scorers where he is just asked to fill a role…Is it the same Jerome James?

My saliva and spit can split thread into fiber and bits/ So trust me I'm as live as it gets. --Royce Da 5'9 + DJ Premier = Hip Hop Utopia
Pharzeone
Alba Posts: 14
Member: #871
7/18/2005  5:31 PM
Posted by Rich:

Here is something that Layden, and by implication Dolan, never understood: public relations matter. Consequently, Isiah and Layden could make identical moves and Isiah would be shown more patience by the media and the fans because he knows how to schmooze them.
YOu are right in many ways but before we cry for Layden. He was hired in the summer 1999 (Ed we barely knew ya and thank goodness) and was fired in December 2003. Now I ain't no math genius but my computations come up with approximately 4.5 years as GM of the NY Knicks. Isiah Thomas was hired in December 2003 and is presently GM of the Knicks lets see that gives him approximately 1.5 years on the job. Let's use that old subtraction table and I get, hmm.. approximately 3 year difference.

What's your point again about Dolan, fans, media not giving who what when how?
I don't like to play bad rookies , I like to play good rookies - Mike D'Antoni
Pharzeone
Alba Posts: 14
Member: #871
7/18/2005  5:32 PM
BTW, before I get the "please post link" comments.

http://www.hoopshype.com/general_managers/scott_layden.htm
I don't like to play bad rookies , I like to play good rookies - Mike D'Antoni
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
7/18/2005  5:37 PM
Posted by Silverfuel:
Posted by Marv:

My condolences, dude!
It broke my heart but I have to move on.

damn first Andriana Lima & now Tiffany
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
7/18/2005  7:02 PM
Posted by sebstar:

Admittedly, Nalod is probably right. If one were to transport this same exact signing to 2002 during the Layden regime, the signing might be viewed through a different lens. (although, plenty of people have been critical). But the riddle is this: Jerome James is signed to a team that is boring and un-athletic where certain numbers are expected; Jerome James is signed to an athletic team packed with scorers where he is just asked to fill a role…Is it the same Jerome James?
those are great points
bigpimpin
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #801
USA
7/18/2005  7:14 PM
Nalod,

don't you know that Isiah can do no wrong. Every move he makes, makes sense.

what planet have you been living on?

He makes all the right moves. If he didn't then we wouldn't have made it to the Finals last year.

Duh
"Anyone who sits around waiting to hit the lottery, whether basketball or real life, in order to better their position is a loser."
Laid Inn

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy