[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Get Walker
Author Thread
Rich
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #511
USA
7/16/2005  12:30 PM
Worst trade idea ever. It would cement the proposition that the Knicks would NEVER win a championship for the next five years.
AUTOADVERT
OldFan
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #446
7/16/2005  2:51 PM
Posted by BRIGGS:
Posted by OldFan:
Posted by BRIGGS:

You can say whatever you want. the fact is Antoine Walker is a career 41% FG % shooter, a porous defender, a poor FT shooter and a guy who turns the ball over a lot.

RIGHT now I would take college guys like Josh Mcroberts, Paul Millsap, Josh Boone, Sheldan Williams over Antoine at the 4 in one second. I view basketball different from you. I believe basketball is won with defense, rebounding and offensive discpline.

will see lets get walker and i bet we win 35 games.

His Assist to To average is TWICE Sweeneys or Taylors and his defense is better then either.

Old Fan---when i say stop and think, I mean just imagine putting walker into this SL. All 3 players are not great defenders, but in a team concept all can suffice with a shot blocker at C, so no one rtumps on the D end.

Now Walker is a guy that plays a lot of basketball *controlling* the ball, that is why his assit total is higher. With guys like Marbury Crawford Nate--we dont need our 4 man to control the ball, we need that position to score and rebound effeciently and play defense. This is a GUARD orientated team, Walkers style of play IMHO, is a clear chemistry breaker a disruptive force, which is why he has been moved a lot in the last 2 years. Sweetney and taylor are blue collar guys, along with malik--are they dirk no, but I feel this is a rebuilding phase for this franchise and we need time to go step by step to assess things instead of BUYINg guys like taylor and malik at the drop of a hat because they are avilable. You are going to much by irrelevant stats. Just stop and think from what you have seen in walker's play and how he will fit here.

Are you willing to give up picks Sweetney and Tim Thomas for him adn bad contract or would you rather go with what we have and look for BETTER opportunties down the road INCLUDINg the posibility that Frye COULD come into his own at the 4 position.
the concept of trying to put the -best players at every position stat wise rarely works, they usually are not team orienatated to many egos clashing.

I like using stats, but i also take other intengible factors into account, you have to.

I hope this is an irrelevant conversation and i hope walker doe not wear a knick uniform. Im not worried about our record so much, well be fine, this is a process of flushing out the old and bringing in the new, but we dont want to continually retard this process.

Briggs - this is a bit of a Rat Whole. I basically don't disagree with you on Walker. You just have a higher opinion of Sweeney and especially Mo then I do.
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
7/16/2005  2:58 PM
acquiring walker is "starphucking" (c) nalod
Marv
Alba Posts: 69
Member: #315
7/16/2005  3:00 PM
Posted by OldFan:

Briggs - this is a bit of a Rat Whole. I basically don't disagree with you on Walker. You just have a higher opinion of Sweeney and especially Mo then I do.

Wait a sec - doesn't Sweeney play with Nazy?
oohah
Member: #887
7/16/2005  4:05 PM
Anyone who wants Walker is nuts. How can you have THREE of your major offensive players shooting under 40%? Trading for Walker, and taking on Blount to do it is one of the stupidest ideas I've ever heard.

Who are those three players? This trade idea you are using was an intentionally bad scenario made up to make a theoretical bad AW deal.
Worst trade idea ever. It would cement the proposition that the Knicks would NEVER win a championship for the next five years.

How do you figure? I think Walker could be an excellent piece on a championship team. But that is all hypothetical.

I like how people always know what is going to keep us from having a championship, but cannot offer a realistic plan for getting a championship. (An example of what we SHOULD do, not what we SHOULDN'T.)

oohah

Good luck Mike D'Antoni, 'cause you ain't never seen nothing like this before!
Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
7/16/2005  4:14 PM
I think Walker would be a nice piece to a championship puzzle. He just seems like a player who would mix well with Marbury for some reason.
crzymdups
Member: #671
USA
7/16/2005  4:20 PM
Posted by oohah:
Anyone who wants Walker is nuts. How can you have THREE of your major offensive players shooting under 40%? Trading for Walker, and taking on Blount to do it is one of the stupidest ideas I've ever heard.

Who are those three players? This trade idea you are using was an intentionally bad scenario made up to make a theoretical bad AW deal.

Crawford, Quentin and Antoine. Don't tell me those three wouldn't get major minutes. They would be three of our top four/five scorers and between the three of them would jack up almost 50 shots a game, hitting only 20 AT BEST.

Worst. "Idea." Ever.
¿ △ ?
oohah
Member: #887
7/16/2005  4:56 PM

Crawford, Quentin and Antoine. Don't tell me those three wouldn't get major minutes.

Q career field goal percentage: .406
AW career field goal percentage: .415
JC Career field goal percentage: .397

Combined: .406 (Note this is averaged by three players, and not weighted by seasons.)
They would be three of our top four/five scorers and between the three of them would jack up almost 50 shots a game, hitting only 20 AT BEST.

That's about right on pecentage. I don't think they would shoot 50 shots between the three of them, but if they do, I don't care. Would you rather it be Sweetney or JYD? In this scenario, somebody will have to suffer as far as shots/playing time. I also think there might be some impending trade bait in our guard lineup.
Worst. "Idea." Ever.

Do you...Have a..."Better Idea" at all? I'm waiting...

oohah

Good luck Mike D'Antoni, 'cause you ain't never seen nothing like this before!
jaydh
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #96
7/16/2005  4:59 PM
Posted by rvhoss:

So, knowing what we know now...Walker would be our best PF.

i imagine walker would split his time between pf and sf.
jaydh
Member: #96
7/16/2005  5:00 PM
Posted by Marv:

Personally I am so with Briggs on this one.

To me Walker is such a bad vibe player at this point in his career. He was talented enugh to become an all-time great and he forsook the Force for the Dark Side.

Pass pass pass on this one.

i'd rather pass also, this move will only stunt the development of sweets, lee, and ariza.
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
7/16/2005  6:08 PM
Posted by jaydh:
Posted by Marv:

Personally I am so with Briggs on this one.

To me Walker is such a bad vibe player at this point in his career. He was talented enugh to become an all-time great and he forsook the Force for the Dark Side.

Pass pass pass on this one.

i'd rather pass also, this move will only stunt the development of sweets, lee, and ariza.
Walker's a 5 position player. He's not gonna stunt anyone's growth. If a young player is showing that he's ready for minutes, you move Walker to a different position.
Marv
Alba Posts: 69
Member: #315
7/16/2005  6:27 PM
Posted by Bonn1997:

Walker's a 5 position player.

So's Maher's new girlfriend.
bobs3304
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #948
7/16/2005  6:30 PM
Posted by Marv:
Posted by Bonn1997:

BURN
DLee is the best thing to happen to NY in Isiah's 4 year tenure. And that alone, though a positive on the radar, is sad as hell.
simrud
Member: #474
USA
7/16/2005  8:45 PM
Walker shmoker, he is the last thing we need.

The guy is fing awful. Anybody can put up his numbers takin 20 shots a game! He is a pure ballhug.

I know many a knick that will have a heartattack if Walker is on the team.

Just say NO!
A glimmer of hope maybe?!?
Killa4luv
Alba Posts: 51
Member: #261
USA
7/16/2005  9:05 PM
Posted by Marv:
Posted by Bonn1997:

yeah, you can say that again.
BRIGGS
Member: #303
7/16/2005  9:47 PM
Posted by oohah:

Crawford, Quentin and Antoine. Don't tell me those three wouldn't get major minutes.

Q career field goal percentage: .406
AW career field goal percentage: .415
JC Career field goal percentage: .397

Combined: .406 (Note this is averaged by three players, and not weighted by seasons.)
They would be three of our top four/five scorers and between the three of them would jack up almost 50 shots a game, hitting only 20 AT BEST.

That's about right on pecentage. I don't think they would shoot 50 shots between the three of them, but if they do, I don't care. Would you rather it be Sweetney or JYD? In this scenario, somebody will have to suffer as far as shots/playing time. I also think there might be some impending trade bait in our guard lineup.

[quote]Worst. "Idea." Ever.

Do you...Have a..."Better Idea" at all? I'm waiting...

oohah

how about the idea of staying patient, let's see what develops with what we have. I feel pretty good about the rotation of James Frye Sweetney Taylor and one of Lee, Malik or JYD--while each can have games where they stand out, collectively my bet is they shoot 50% and rebound the ball well.. We are a guard orientated team. Let guys like Star Craw and Nate set these guys up for high % plays. I saw some good stuff out of Taylor at the end of the year as well as Sweetney. Frye and James should be good in terms of high % plays off of set ups and solid shot blockers.
We dont need the disruption of Walker NOR do we need him until he is 35-36

we made a lot of moves we have 5 new players--lets integrate what we have and see where are. EVERY year there is trade deadline opportunities and team that start off badly. Maybe we can get a Sean Marion, or maybe we just play well, and IF not, it's just a phase of the first year of rebuilding--i figured on 3 years--if it doesnt work well--we have 2-3 picks again, but i think this team will be fine. It wasnt winning a championship as is or with walker[that is for sure] so lets be patient, we already had high TO, lets see what happens.
RIP Crushalot😞
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
7/16/2005  9:54 PM
i really would like us to forcefeed sweets and frye down low. i think for the betterment of our future, this needs to happen. the guards will get theirs and they really need to give these 2 the ball if we EVER want to know if they can handle the load full time. actually, this applies more to sweets b/c this is his 3rd year but frye should get a significant amount of touches as well. james should not figure into the offense whatsoever outside of putbacks and dunks.
tapseer
Member: #698
7/16/2005  10:09 PM
I think that the Knicks will be an up-tempo team. I don't think they will be playing a traditional 'half-court' offense, especially if they hire hire Westphal as an assistant. That's why Sweetney is expendable, he is not an open floor kind of player (at least I haven't seen that from him). The offense will run thru the 1,2 and 3's with the 4 and 5's getting what they can.
bobs3304
7/16/2005  10:14 PM
Posted by djsunyc:

i really would like us to forcefeed sweets and frye down low. i think for the betterment of our future, this needs to happen. the guards will get theirs and they really need to give these 2 the ball if we EVER want to know if they can handle the load full time. actually, this applies more to sweets b/c this is his 3rd year but frye should get a significant amount of touches as well. james should not figure into the offense whatsoever outside of putbacks and dunks.

You'd be right, except for the fact that Isiah might just slit his wrists if we don't make the playoffs this year. I really belive that all this "rebuilding" mumbo-jumbo is just Zeke blowing hot air. He doesn't want to give off the impression that he has high expectations even if he does. The last thing he needs is MORE pressure on him.

That said, if Sweetney doesn't show some vast improvement, like the ability to stay out of foul trouble, and coming into training camp in shape and ready to run, then I'm confident he's as good as gone.
We can't afford really to hold onto him, when we have 4 other PF's just as effective. What we're inevitably going to have to do is offer a package of Penny or Timmy, Sweetney, and a draft pick for a Big Man that we KNOW we can count on.

[Edited by - bobs3304 on 07/16/2005 22:15:33]
DLee is the best thing to happen to NY in Isiah's 4 year tenure. And that alone, though a positive on the radar, is sad as hell.
bobs3304
7/16/2005  10:21 PM
Posted by tapseer:

I think that the Knicks will be an up-tempo team. I don't think they will be playing a traditional 'half-court' offense, especially if they hire hire Westphal as an assistant. That's why Sweetney is expendable, he is not an open floor kind of player (at least I haven't seen that from him). The offense will run thru the 1,2 and 3's with the 4 and 5's getting what they can.

What we need is a PF that CAN run, but who's really effective in doing the little things - offensive rebounds, weakside blocks, defensive intensity, mid-range jumper...

That sounds like Elton Brand to me, but it could be any number of guys depending on who's available. I honestly don't think any of our current PF's should or deserve to get 30 MPG. Frye is a ROOKIE fellas. He'll earn his with time. Rose and Taylor don't thrive in the open court. They're more suited to a half court set. JYD is a bundle of energy, but he's not the type that can keep it up for extended minutes.

I think it comes down to who's available and when. I hope Zeke doesn't rush into trading Sweetney just for anyone. I think he has the time to wait this one out. The longer he waits, the more valuable Penny's expiring contract will be...
Get Walker

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy