Get Walker
Author Thread
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
7/15/2005  11:57 PM
[quote]
Posted by oohah:

I think the thumbs were for the breakdown with supporting data.

Thanx Bonn1997 .

As opposed to declerations with very little supporting data that is unfairly applied in order to impugn a player that you just don't like. That's okay, there are players I don't like too.

oohah

that's cool, and when we win 35 games and have 0 draft picks, please refer back here without an excuse and the answer will be, we need time to jell

James
Walker
Q
Craw
Marb=35-47
RIP Crushalot😞
AUTOADVERT
oohah
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #887
7/16/2005  12:09 AM
that's cool, and when we win 35 games and have 0 draft picks, please refer back here without an excuse and the answer will be, we need time to jell

James
Walker
Q
Craw
Marb=35-47

Okay, I will refer back, with or without an excuse, and that is a promise. I hope you will if/when you are wrong as well. Somehow I doubt it.

I don't think q and Craw will start together, so please let me make my own predictions.

James
Walker
Ariza
Craw (Until Q plays him onto the bench.)
Marbury

And what is the lineup you are hoping for, and how do you think they will do? I'll be happy to hear as many non-walker scenarios you can conjure. Just for the record.

oohah

Good luck Mike D'Antoni, 'cause you ain't never seen nothing like this before!
rvhoss
Member: #777
Switzerland
7/16/2005  12:10 AM
all great responses (I like the way you mix up the responses) but this one by far was the best:
Posted by oohah:

[quote]cut the sportswriter, around the horn stuff

Or that 1st and ten nonsense on cold pizza (what happened to that show, has it gotten worst? Where's my minny mouse girl?!?!?
all kool aid all the time.
BRIGGS
7/16/2005  12:13 AM
Posted by oohah:

[quote] that's cool, and when we win 35 games and have 0 draft picks, please refer back here without an excuse and the answer will be, we need time to jell

James
Walker
Q
Craw
Marb=35-47

Okay, I will refer back, with or without an excuse, and that is a promise. I hope you will if/when you are wrong as well. Somehow I doubt it.

I don't think q and Craw will start together, so please let me make my own predictions.

James
Walker
Ariza
Marbury

And what is the lineup you are hoping for, and how do you think they will do? I'll be happy to hear as many non-walker scenarios you can conjure. Just for the record.

oohah

Ive been posting here for 3 years. I've been right about a few things here, so if Im alive and this site is here,I would answer like a man like i have my whole life champ.
RIP Crushalot😞
rvhoss
Switzerland
7/16/2005  12:18 AM
first off...let me say, I can't stop laughing. You two really made my day.

i agree that Ariza will be starting, or TT will be a completely different player than he was last year.

My starting 5 should we get walker:
season: marbs, Q, TT, Walker, James
Mid season: Marbs, Q, Ariza, Walker, Frye
Bench: Craw, Rose, lee, Nate, MoT (sweets and JYD are gone...sorry)

We win 43 games. win the division and take the #3 seed.

Walker and Marbs make the all star team. (they've done it before)
oohah
7/16/2005  12:23 AM
oops! I forgot my prediction with my lineup:

James
Walker
Ariza
Marbury

45 wins minimum , perhaps as many as 50.

If the two best players get hurt (Marbury or Walker.)for any extended then we could be in trouble: Last year's team except without Kurt Thomas.

We sincerely need Jerome James to play lots of minutes and not get injured.
Ive been posting here for 3 years. I've been right about a few things here, so if Im alive and this site is here,I would answer like a man like i have my whole life champ.

You definitely have me beat in post count. And I am sure you have been right. Have you ever been wrong? What I am asking if you are wrong will you admit it or will you "forget" what you said? Isn't that in the spirit of what I responded to?:

James
Walker
Q
Craw
Marb=35-47

oohah

[Edited by - oohah on 07/16/2005 00:24:44]

[Edited by - oohah on 07/16/2005 00:26:21]
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
7/16/2005  12:24 AM
Posted by BRIGGS:
Posted by Bonn1997:

Wow, oohah, that's an impressive dissection of each of Briggs' "points." I'd give you more than 2 thumbs up if I had more than two thumbs!
Sure I'd be partly uncomfortable if we got Walker because I wouldn't know what to expect, but for his talent and past winning, I think it's worth the risk.

[Edited by - Bonn1997 on 07/15/2005 23:21:50]

2 thumbs up for what--he is wrong, he's stating his opinion, but like I said the reality is antoine is an undiscplined low % player proven by his numbers including FG% FT% TO'sand defense. He was shown to be an inferior player in the playoffs by guys like Kenyon Martin, jermaine Oneal, Ben Wallace, this is not conjecture or opinion, but fact. he says that its just conjecture that other teams will pay him, but i didnt see one tam with cap room even offer him. I did see guys like Haslem Simmons Gadzuric KWAME BROWN haggled over. I believe that Rahim and Walker are in the same boat money wise, and we have seen heard from Goodwin that it would take the Nets to offer a 6 yr 38mm$ contract to get it done in a S+T--its in the papers all of them.

we will have to ki$$ the Boston Celtics arse for this player, truly a NY no-no. No true NY team would EVER kiss an arse from Boston, especially for him. No pride and the bottom line is when we line up all thes eshtty defenders who shoot 40%, we be right back in the shtter, but this time stuck with the junk.
No wonder why no one wants to coach the knicks
He's being reasonable. He's not saying Walker is a superstar. He's a talented player with a lot of pros and cons. He's actually taking a fair and balanced approach. That's why I gave him 2 thumbs up.
rvhoss
Switzerland
7/16/2005  12:29 AM
Now these are great back and forths.

That's what I'm talking about.

If we could get walker and dump and move MoT and/or Rose and an expiring contract for him, we're set.

Sweets isn't ready to start, we all know that...don't get me wrong, should he show up to camp in shape (he was supposed to do that last summer and almost did it, then got fat again) then maybe...but his track record is that he wants and likes to be fat, so there's just as much chance him coming in camp in shape as MoT (sorry, I think I've said that a billion times).

So, knowing what we know now...Walker would be our best PF.
rvhoss
Switzerland
7/16/2005  12:32 AM
btw...projecting sweets and MoT's combo stats to 48 minutes isn't fair unless you increase walkers to 48 minutes.

right now he averages 38 minutes a game.

so, combining those two guys at 24 minutes a game (48 total), would mean they would need to produce at a 11.25 boards, 23.75 points.

I think that is attainable...but they both have to be in tip top shape for that to happen.

Walker does it out of shape. I imagine if he came into camp in tip top shape...ohhh...I shudder to think.
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
7/16/2005  12:33 AM
He was shown to be an inferior player in the playoffs by guys like Kenyon Martin, jermaine Oneal, Ben Wallace
Those guys (K-Mart before his knee problems at least) are all better than Walker. You'll get no disagreement from me on that point. Walker is an average starting PF (with the skills to be much better) IMO.
BRIGGS
7/16/2005  12:54 AM
"We sincerely need Jerome James to play lots of minutes and not get injured"

uh-oh, pre-emptive excuses. Let's be fair, we bought this guy for 30mm KNOWING he has a history of huge amounts of DNP's, has only avg 16 minutes at best doing so and has 2 double doubles in 162 games.

So now you are basing our success on this man, you are counting on him to what double his minutes? and doesnt due dilligence suggest that there is a strong likelihood that he wont play big minutes, have huge problems with foul trouble and he will see a solid number of DNPs?

This again is NOT conjecture--its there for you to see. You ask a lot out of a man who avg 5 points 3 reb and 4 fouls in 16 minutes. You cannot buy a player who has a HISTORY of missing A LOT of games and use it as an excuse. Thats reality, we have depth, there is no excuses, injuries are a part of every teams problems. I cant think of a team that had worse man power loss than the Pacers and they STILL did well.

they made a cognizant decision to give him 30mm despite KNOWING about the foul troubles, the DNPs, the locker room crp so no excuses
RIP Crushalot😞
Marv
Alba Posts: 69
Member: #315
7/16/2005  1:03 AM
You know we got screwed on the CBA. If they had extended the foul limit to 11, JJ and Frye would rule the earth!
OldFan
Member: #446
7/16/2005  2:28 AM
Posted by BRIGGS:
Posted by OldFan:
Posted by BRIGGS:

so we are stuck with antoine walker a career 41% shooter from the 4 until he is 35-36 years old

so we get add him next to Q rich and J craw both have shot under 40% for the last 3 years?

give up a Sweetney a pick and maybe take back a contract--just to maybe--on your perception get a little better this year?

I say, lets stay as is. The club right now has a solid chance to make the playoffs as is. WHAT if Elton Brand became available at the trade dadline and Sweetney and pick and an ending contract could get him? well we gav it away for a shtty player already?

Are you guys old or young knick fans--when you make a move like that, it BETTER be a last pawn to make a run--not to hopefully win 44 games instead of 42.

the rationale is poor, the business is poor, the player is ineffecient and does not fit. We get to keep him for 6 years on a S+T an we lose nice young assets we can either selct more nice talent with or look to be more opportunistic with

you really want antoine walker at 7-8 mm per until he is 35? Mike Sweetney and Mo Taylor COMBINED ARE BETTER than walker point blank. Each player playing half a game can go 10-5-50%--so unless we are getting back an Elton Brand, I think we are set for noW at the 4.

I'm not a walker fan at all - but I totally disagree with comparing
Mo and Sweeney to Walker. Mo Taylor has had plenty of opportunities to play and has never been able to do anything consistently. Sweeney may one day be ok but right now his defense is terrible, he's foul prone and inconsistent. Two inconsistent guys don't make one consistent guy. Compared to them Walker's defense is great. I don't want to pay walker all that money - but he's much better then taylor and sweeney.

why not, im comparing what Seattle did with a variety of PFs. they happened to win 50+ games in the west. My example was

if Mike Sweetney plays 24 minutes and Mo Taylor plays 24 minutes, we are likely to get a combined number of 20+ and 10 rebounds shooting 50%--go look at their stats
you can say what you want, but they played effeciently they rebounded the ball they shot for a HIGh FG% and per 24 minutes their numbers are actually 24 points 13 rebounds combined shooting 52%

walker's defense? he plays defense? when?

you say sweetney played inconsistently yet he shot 53% with an avg of 8.5 pts and 5.4 reb in 19 minutes
--how can you be inconsitent with those numbers? everyone has off games, but on AVG Sweetney was a high % shooter who could score and rebound and so di Mo Taylor when he came here

On the other hand, dont you consider who INCONSITENT
A Walker is when he shoots 41% for his career at the 4? Ive searched and i couldnt come up with 1 other lets say very good PF who shot anywhere near that, not to mention his FT % and high TO's

Stop and think

I don't like defending walker but walker was the second best player ons some decent teams. While Sweeney was a 6th or 7th man on a team that sucked and Taylor has been nothing but a headache anywhere.

Walker is a chucker his FG% is terrible - but he takes a lot of
threes so his Effective FG is 46% - Taylors is 47%. Taylor rebound average is 4.8 rebounds per game (8.8 per 48) - Walker 7.8 (10.8 per 48). Assists Walker 4.1 per game (5.1 per 48) Taylor 1.2 (2.3 per 48)
Assist/To Walker 1.3 Taylor .63.

Take a look at the more advanced statistics at Basket-BallReference.com and I think it's clear Walker is the better offensive player and Taylors defense, rebounding and attitude are his real problem. THere is a reason the guy hasn't gotten 30 minutes per game since 2000.

Sweeney has good statistics numbers if you believe they can be forcasted to more minutes and better competition- I don't:

1) He has played on terrible teams. Good teams don't play as hard against bad teams because most of the times they can win without playing very hard (playing down to the competition.).

2) He has played a lot against second stringers.

Don't you wonder why Walker gets starter minutes playing on some pretty good teams when Sweeney isn't even getting 20 playing for the Knicks?

Walker is what he is and it ain't great - but no combination that includes Mo Taylor playing 24 minutes is going to be better and I don't think Sweeney can play starter minutes on a decent team.

OldFan
7/16/2005  2:30 AM
Posted by BRIGGS:

You can say whatever you want. the fact is Antoine Walker is a career 41% FG % shooter, a porous defender, a poor FT shooter and a guy who turns the ball over a lot.

RIGHT now I would take college guys like Josh Mcroberts, Paul Millsap, Josh Boone, Sheldan Williams over Antoine at the 4 in one second. I view basketball different from you. I believe basketball is won with defense, rebounding and offensive discpline.

will see lets get walker and i bet we win 35 games.

His Assist to To average is TWICE Sweeneys or Taylors and his defense is better then either.
Marv
7/16/2005  2:33 AM
A lot of interesting points but isn't the bottom line on Sweetney's minutes that he can't stay out of foul trouble? How many games did yiu see last year where he picked up a quick couple doing that dumbass chase the perimeter move of his and get sat down for it?
Marv
7/16/2005  2:36 AM
Personally I am so with Briggs on this one.

To me Walker is such a bad vibe player at this point in his career. He was talented enugh to become an all-time great and he forsook the Force for the Dark Side.

Pass pass pass on this one.
OldFan
7/16/2005  3:08 AM
Posted by Marv:

To me Walker is such a bad vibe player at this point in his career. He was talented enugh to become an all-time great and he forsook the Force for the Dark Side.

Pass pass pass on this one.

Walker does not excite me and I would only want him if he was virtually free. My disagreement with Briggs is I don't think a one dimensional player with a bad attitude and guy who can't even get 20 mpg on a terrible team are better then a guy who if you add it all up is probably a slightly below average starter.
oohah
7/16/2005  11:05 AM
"We sincerely need Jerome James to play lots of minutes and not get injured"
uh-oh, pre-emptive excuses.

It is not a pre-emptive excuse. It is a fact. At this point he is the only center we have. No matter who is on the team, Walker, Rahim, or your non-existent viable alternative.
Let's be fair,

I have been fair. I'm waitng for you to be.
we bought this guy for 30mm KNOWING he has a history of huge amounts of DNP's, has only avg 16 minutes at best doing so and has 2 double doubles in 162 games.

I don't care for Jerome James myself. He looked great in the one playoff series vs. sacramento.
So now you are basing our success on this man, you are counting on him to what double his minutes?

Where did I say that? Even your fabrications don't stand up.

This is similar to my argument about all of the players others have offered in place of AW (Stromile Swift, Stephen Hunter, Sweetney or anyone else on the knicks.). The answer is I am counting on him (now) and so are you. Because he is on the team and is the ONLY CENTER WE HAVE.
and doesnt due dilligence suggest that there is a strong likelihood that he wont play big minutes, have huge problems with foul trouble and he will see a solid number of DNPs?

Based on James' history I would agree.
This again is NOT conjecture--its there for you to see. You ask a lot out of a man who avg 5 points 3 reb and 4 fouls in 16 minutes. You cannot buy a player who has a HISTORY of missing A LOT of games and use it as an excuse. Thats reality, we have depth, there is no excuses, injuries are a part of every teams problems. I cant think of a team that had worse man power loss than the Pacers and they STILL did well.

Use it as an excuse? Now you are trying to hard. Walker is not on the team (yet), James is (Probably). You are making a much better case for Jerome James as a marginal player that you are for AW as an average player or worse.
they made a cognizant decision to give him 30mm despite KNOWING about the foul troubles, the DNPs, the locker room crp so no excuses

What are you talking about? Now that you've made your prediction of the Knicks with Walker, why don't you venture one with one of your "replacements" that you won't name? Put it out there!
You know we got screwed on the CBA. If they had extended the foul limit to 11, JJ and Frye would rule the earth!

And then we should re-sign Chris Dudley. He was very efficient you know...
Walker is a chucker his FG% is terrible - but he takes a lot of threes so his Effective FG is 46% - Taylors is 47%. Taylor rebound average is 4.8 rebounds per game (8.8 per 48) - Walker 7.8 (10.8 per 48). Assists Walker 4.1 per game (5.1 per 48) Taylor 1.2 (2.3 per 48)
Assist/To Walker 1.3 Taylor .63.

Thank you for this. I didn't want to have to explain that field goal percentage is a stat that can be skewed quite easily that depends heavily on style of play and other factors.
Take a look at the more advanced statistics at Basket-BallReference.com and I think it's clear Walker is the better offensive player and Taylors defense, rebounding and attitude are his real problem. THere is a reason the guy hasn't gotten 30 minutes per game since 2000.

I'll have to take a look at that site.
Don't you wonder why Walker gets starter minutes playing on some pretty good teams when Sweeney isn't even getting 20 playing for the Knicks?

Good point. I never wondered. Anyone who has actually watched them play can tell you AW and Sweetney are in different classes.
Walker is what he is and it ain't great - but no combination that includes Mo Taylor playing 24 minutes is going to be better and I don't think Sweeney can play starter minutes on a decent team.

ZAKLY!
A lot of interesting points but isn't the bottom line on Sweetney's minutes that he can't stay out of foul trouble? How many games did yiu see last year where he picked up a quick couple doing that dumbass chase the perimeter move of his and get sat down for it?

The thing about Sweetney is it's either foul or get beat by his man. Sweetney is in the NBA for his rebounding coupled with nice moves around the basket. But he is short and he ain't fast. Smart player though. I bet you he knows AW is a better player.

Marv, I don't see all the bad vibes stuff that everyone else does. Honestly, I think that comes from the papers similar to the way they used to crucify Ewing. Antoine IS brash and big-mouthed ("You may have just seen Reggie Miller's last game", DUMB COMMENT, which may have lost that series for them.) but that swagger carries over into his game, and to a large extent to his teammates. If we get him, he might be a jerk, but he'll be our jerk.
My disagreement with Briggs is I don't think a one dimensional player with a bad attitude and guy who can't even get 20 mpg on a terrible team are better then a guy who if you add it all up is probably a slightly below average starter.

20/9 career slightly below average? 3 all-star games slightly below average? AW is still a threat to make the all-star team. And as far as his attitue I have only one more thing to say: Sprewell.

oohah

BRIGGS
7/16/2005  12:07 PM
Posted by OldFan:
Posted by BRIGGS:

You can say whatever you want. the fact is Antoine Walker is a career 41% FG % shooter, a porous defender, a poor FT shooter and a guy who turns the ball over a lot.

RIGHT now I would take college guys like Josh Mcroberts, Paul Millsap, Josh Boone, Sheldan Williams over Antoine at the 4 in one second. I view basketball different from you. I believe basketball is won with defense, rebounding and offensive discpline.

will see lets get walker and i bet we win 35 games.

His Assist to To average is TWICE Sweeneys or Taylors and his defense is better then either.

Old Fan---when i say stop and think, I mean just imagine putting walker into this SL. All 3 players are not great defenders, but in a team concept all can suffice with a shot blocker at C, so no one rtumps on the D end.

Now Walker is a guy that plays a lot of basketball *controlling* the ball, that is why his assit total is higher. With guys like Marbury Crawford Nate--we dont need our 4 man to control the ball, we need that position to score and rebound effeciently and play defense. This is a GUARD orientated team, Walkers style of play IMHO, is a clear chemistry breaker a disruptive force, which is why he has been moved a lot in the last 2 years. Sweetney and taylor are blue collar guys, along with malik--are they dirk no, but I feel this is a rebuilding phase for this franchise and we need time to go step by step to assess things instead of BUYINg guys like taylor and malik at the drop of a hat because they are avilable. You are going to much by irrelevant stats. Just stop and think from what you have seen in walker's play and how he will fit here.

Are you willing to give up picks Sweetney and Tim Thomas for him adn bad contract or would you rather go with what we have and look for BETTER opportunties down the road INCLUDINg the posibility that Frye COULD come into his own at the 4 position.
the concept of trying to put the -best players at every position stat wise rarely works, they usually are not team orienatated to many egos clashing.

I like using stats, but i also take other intengible factors into account, you have to.

I hope this is an irrelevant conversation and i hope walker doe not wear a knick uniform. Im not worried about our record so much, well be fine, this is a process of flushing out the old and bringing in the new, but we dont want to continually retard this process.
RIP Crushalot😞
crzymdups
Member: #671
USA
7/16/2005  12:23 PM
Anyone who wants Walker is nuts. How can you have THREE of your major offensive players shooting under 40%? Trading for Walker, and taking on Blount to do it is one of the stupidest ideas I've ever heard.
¿ △ ?
Get Walker

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy