[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Get Walker
Author Thread
Knixkik
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #11
USA
7/15/2005  4:04 PM
I'm gonna go on record right now and say that is the next and last move to make this team as good as we can right now. I think we have to look at what we need and that's another scoring option, particularly in the low post. Walker is an inside/outside guy and is very versatile. I know we are trying to get younger and more athletic but we need the right mix of vets and youth in order to be successful. Walker gives Marbury a guy to hit in the post, plus another guy who can handle the ball and stretch the defense with some outside shooting. We need to offer Thomas, Sweetney and JYD, Taylor, or Rose and get back Walker and either LaFrentz or Blount. I think we will be a much better team and one that can make a playoff run at some point.

C James, Frye, Blount
PF Walker, Frye, Lee, JYD/Rose/Taylor
SF Richardson, Ariza
SG Crawford, Robinson, Hardaway
PG Marbury, Robinson
AUTOADVERT
oohah
Member: #887
7/15/2005  4:14 PM
I think Walker would be a good addition but I think we will have to do a better package than what you described. Something Like a decent player, an expiring contract, and (gulp) a pick.

Something along those lines.

P.S. adding Tsikivilis^*&#% or however you spell his name would be interesting and it wouldn't hurt.

oohah

[Edited by - oohah on 07/15/2005 16:14:14]
Good luck Mike D'Antoni, 'cause you ain't never seen nothing like this before!
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
7/15/2005  4:23 PM
I'd like to get Walker, but I definitely have mixed feelings about it. His downside is pretty bad in that he can start chucking bad shots and hurt team chemistry. That said, he's just too talented and helped too many Celtics teams win regular season and post-season games to pass on him unless the Cs demand too much in a sign and trade.
bobs3304
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #948
7/15/2005  5:39 PM
Walker needs the ball to be effective. He's not gonna make up for it on the defensive end, and is only gonna make our offense more stagnant. If we traded Crawford + Filler for him and Blount, then I'd be OK with it, simply b/c then Walker could play minutes at Point Forward, where he will be effective for us, but I don't see that happening. I think Boston would rather just sign him for cheap, or let him go for free...
DLee is the best thing to happen to NY in Isiah's 4 year tenure. And that alone, though a positive on the radar, is sad as hell.
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
7/15/2005  6:00 PM
so we are stuck with antoine walker a career 41% shooter from the 4 until he is 35-36 years old

so we get add him next to Q rich and J craw both have shot under 40% for the last 3 years?

give up a Sweetney a pick and maybe take back a contract--just to maybe--on your perception get a little better this year?

I say, lets stay as is. The club right now has a solid chance to make the playoffs as is. WHAT if Elton Brand became available at the trade dadline and Sweetney and pick and an ending contract could get him? well we gav it away for a shtty player already?

Are you guys old or young knick fans--when you make a move like that, it BETTER be a last pawn to make a run--not to hopefully win 44 games instead of 42.

the rationale is poor, the business is poor, the player is ineffecient and does not fit. We get to keep him for 6 years on a S+T an we lose nice young assets we can either selct more nice talent with or look to be more opportunistic with

you really want antoine walker at 7-8 mm per until he is 35? Mike Sweetney and Mo Taylor COMBINED ARE BETTER than walker point blank. Each player playing half a game can go 10-5-50%--so unless we are getting back an Elton Brand, I think we are set for noW at the 4.
RIP Crushalot😞
bobs3304
7/15/2005  6:02 PM
i think stro swift is still a minor possibility, but other than that, you're absolutely right...
DLee is the best thing to happen to NY in Isiah's 4 year tenure. And that alone, though a positive on the radar, is sad as hell.
Bonn1997
USA
7/15/2005  6:28 PM
WHAT if Elton Brand became available at the trade dadline and Sweetney and pick and an ending contract could get him? well we gav it away for a shtty player already?
We're not gonna use BOTH Penny's and TT's expiring contracts to get Walker. If Brand becomes available but we used Penny and Sweetney to get Walker, then use TT and Frye or maybe TT and Lee and SA's 2006 #1 or maybe TT and Ariza to get him. Or maybe Nate would be involved. There are enough trade assets that you don't have to worry about using them all up to get Walker. If the Cs are demanding all our assets for Walker, obviously we don't do the deal.
Bonn1997
USA
7/15/2005  6:28 PM
Are you guys old or young knick fans
I'm 26. How old are you guys? (Not trying to start an argument; just wondering.)
knicksavvy
Member: #945
7/15/2005  6:30 PM
Posted by BRIGGS:

so we are stuck with antoine walker a career 41% shooter from the 4 until he is 35-36 years old

so we get add him next to Q rich and J craw both have shot under 40% for the last 3 years?

give up a Sweetney a pick and maybe take back a contract--just to maybe--on your perception get a little better this year?

I say, lets stay as is. The club right now has a solid chance to make the playoffs as is. WHAT if Elton Brand became available at the trade dadline and Sweetney and pick and an ending contract could get him? well we gav it away for a shtty player already?

Are you guys old or young knick fans--when you make a move like that, it BETTER be a last pawn to make a run--not to hopefully win 44 games instead of 42.

the rationale is poor, the business is poor, the player is ineffecient and does not fit. We get to keep him for 6 years on a S+T an we lose nice young assets we can either selct more nice talent with or look to be more opportunistic with

you really want antoine walker at 7-8 mm per until he is 35? Mike Sweetney and Mo Taylor COMBINED ARE BETTER than walker point blank. Each player playing half a game can go 10-5-50%--so unless we are getting back an Elton Brand, I think we are set for noW at the 4.
Does my faith show? Go Knicks!!!
knicksavvy
Member: #945
7/15/2005  6:32 PM
Learning in and outs got to agree with briggs no way bring walker in here theres only but so many shots to go around.
Does my faith show? Go Knicks!!!
Bonn1997
USA
7/15/2005  6:40 PM
you really want antoine walker at 7-8 mm per until he is 35? Mike Sweetney and Mo Taylor COMBINED ARE BETTER than walker point blank.
Why are we combining players? We don't get to use them both at once unless they're playing two positions or unless the league lets us play 6 on 5. And if you're combining players that heavy, they should really count as three players not two! Sweetney, JYD, Malik, Mo, Lee combined will probably put up better #s than Tim Duncan. That doesn't mean I don't want Duncan. (I'm sure someone's gonna ask this: no, I'm not saying Walker is in Duncan's league; it's just an analogy.)

[Edited by - Bonn1997 on 07/15/2005 18:41:57]
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
7/15/2005  6:51 PM
Posted by Bonn1997:

[quote] you really want antoine walker at 7-8 mm per until he is 35? Mike Sweetney and Mo Taylor COMBINED ARE BETTER than walker point blank.
Why are we combining players? We don't get to use them both at once unless they're playing two positions or unless the league lets us play 6 on 5. And if you're combining players that heavy, they should really count as three players not two! Sweetney, JYD, Malik, Mo, Lee combined will probably put up better #s than Tim Duncan. That doesn't mean I don't want Duncan. (I'm sure someone's gonna ask this: no, I'm not saying Walker is in Duncan's league; it's just an analogy.)

the effeciency and results of having Sweetney and Taylor play 24 minutes each at a cost already built in is MUCH better than Walker. It worked well for Seattle last year, moving Evans Collison Radman Potapenko and James at 4-5. Taylor and Sweetney are bulls, they are powerful, they wear out defenders leaning on them. I think Sweetney Taylor James Frye not including JYD, Malik, Lee is enough right now! Why would we want a four who shoots 41% on avg for his career--and sign him until he is well past his prime--let the Celtics do it, lets go with the young guys. Miami did that and ended up with Shaq.

Maybe Minnesota ruts and they take a package of 3 young Knicks for KG? Unless we give them run and let their value come out--and perhaps realizing its best to stay as is and continue slowly building parts through the draft where We select the guys and control costs is the best option?

Honestly I cannot think of a worse option for this team and what it would cost for the over rated Walker.
RIP Crushalot😞
franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
7/15/2005  7:02 PM
i might have taken walker with the MLE, but not now- not unless its a Walker for JYD S&T with Walker getting 1 year more than JYD has- or other similar combo.
bobs3304
7/15/2005  7:17 PM
We already have a Walker-esque player on this team.

His name is Q Richardson.

We don't need another one.
Bonn1997
USA
7/15/2005  7:23 PM
Posted by bobs3304:

Q doesn't have anywhere near the ball-handling, playmaking, or rebounding skills of Walker. I like Q, but Walker is much more talented. (Walker comes with more baggage as well obviously.)
bobs3304
7/15/2005  7:27 PM
Here's what I like about Walker:

Leadership, Rebounding, Passing, Ability to hit the 3

Here's what I HATE about Walker:

Inconsistent, Defensive Liability, Chucker, Can't Dunk, Past his Prime, Whiner, Wanders around the perimeter too much, HORRIBLE Free-throw shooter.

Not sure the pros outweight the cons in this case...

And just for the record, I wasn't trying to say Q Rich is just as talented as Walker. Merely pointing out that they play a similar style...
Bonn1997
USA
7/15/2005  8:03 PM
I agree with most of the pros and cons you listed with the exceptions below. I don't care that Walker doesn't dunk well. I don't think he's past his prime. He's still playing at a high level. I agree his defense is below average but I don't think it's a huge liability. I think it's no worse than Kurt's. (Statistically it's probably a lot better actually.) I'm not sure what you mean by "wanders around the perimeter too much." Do you mean he shoots too many 3s?
oohah
Member: #887
7/15/2005  9:01 PM
I have already done too much case making including stats or whatever else you might want to bring up to show that Walker is the best ACTUAL POSSIBILITY to help the knicks front line which is now made up of career bench warmers and unproven rookies.

But here is some more:
Walker needs the ball to be effective.

Repeated again and again but just not true.
He's not gonna make up for it on the defensive end, and is only gonna make our offense more stagnant. If we traded Crawford + Filler for him and Blount, then I'd be OK with it, simply b/c then Walker could play minutes at Point Forward, where he will be effective for us, but I don't see that happening. I think Boston would rather just sign him for cheap, or let him go for free...

Why would Danny ainge want Crawford when he has Peirce, Ricky Davis, and the exciting Tony Allen? It would have to be for a forward or a swing man. We have an abundancy. Its just that none of them are starting caliber players on a good team.

That is one way to put it. (And ignore a lot of other things.) Who is your better option that is feasible?

Something tells me the redundancy of these players will be reduced, by personell moves, coaching, or simple Isiah Thomas intimidation.

I like Sweetney, but I just don't see what everybody else does. He can be a pretty good reserve, even a decent starter during his prime. He is not a star. If we get a player like Walker for Sweetney we aren't "losing the future". so to speak

Elton Brand...We aren't getting him, we don't have the assets unless you want to trade Marbury++. What makes you think he is avaiable anyway? The Clippers signed him to a huge contract and he is still a very good player.

This age question...I am not taking the bait. AW is not a last pawn type player, these other average players that have been mentioned around the forum, maybe. AW is a really nice addition to lots of teams because he has the ability to be effective from anywhere on the floor.

It would be poor business to have the worst front line in the game. are any of the players that we have or "might pick" likely to be better than Walker in that time? Why did you make up a contract?

Yes I do. I also like how people invent contract terms to prove points. At 7-8 million per AW would be a bargain. Just take a look at what guys are earning!!

Combining players is not reality. But even if you do, you should pick to players who represent the entire repetoire of AW's ability's. Maybe we can trade Marbury for Brevin Knight and Jason Williams. Their stats add up to more than Marbury's. Having said that, Maurice Taylor should be a much better player than he has been, and he really isn't old yet.

Q richardson doies have a similar game to Walker's, that is a very interesting comparison. If you just take away all of Walker's personal and team-oriented acheivements they would be even more similar.
Here's what I like about Walker:

Leadership, Rebounding, Passing, Ability to hit the 3

I would agree with that.
Inconsistent, Defensive Liability, Chucker, Can't Dunk, Past his Prime, Whiner, Wanders around the perimeter too much, HORRIBLE Free-throw shooter.

CAN"T DUNK? I'm sorry, but that is not true, even in an exaggerative sense. He is not a high flyer, but I have seen him dunk "through" a lot of guys. A couple of seasons I watched walker put down a 2 handed jam on Mutombo on the baseline in the playoffs. (I believe this was the last year Mutombo played for Philly, it could have been when he was in Jersey.)

I think he mouths off too much as well, but at least he does have the balls to be the hero or the goat. I don't think the New York lights will be too much for him. Perhaps we are just what he needs. (This seems to be the line of thinking for all the role players that others have mentioned as better options than AW.)
Not sure the pros outweight the cons in this case...

Could be, but I would like to hear about a better option. A real starting player. (Please not Stromile Swift. If JYD, Marbury, and Swift all play at once it might scare the kids.)

Boozer ain't happening.

oohah

Good luck Mike D'Antoni, 'cause you ain't never seen nothing like this before!
rvhoss
Member: #777
Switzerland
7/15/2005  9:09 PM
34 and I think that walker may just be the other "superstar" we need.

He is an all star...well, until he ran in the stands during that playoff game up in boston.

Up until that point, he was all good. When he went to atlanta, when we played them, they were tough (last second shot by craw saved us once).

He scores against us, he has to be doubled in the post, or it's points or a foul.

He pretty much bludgoened us, and if anybody on atlanta was good, they would have swept us.

Having someone on the floor that is a bona fide star in the league (he's not as washed up as TT could be if he doesn't come back in a contract year tear mode).

Marbs rests, it's still a bona fide squad with craw playing the point, him posting up and Q awaiting a wide open bucket.

with marbs on the floor, he can push the issue more because in the paint he'd have toine getting his back and pulling his man to the perimeter opening up the lane...

how many times did teams leave like 3 guys in the paint awaiting marbs on the drive...and he would dish and we'd miss the bucket.

Now with Q and possibly walker, their not leaving them open for anything, so that would leave the SF and Center to take a chance on leaving him open...if craw is at the 2 and Q moves to the 3, that gives us three defenders scared to leave their man.

should open up more opportunities for the Center to get more points and marbs to get more assists. marbs could simply throw it up there and the center should end up with points on an Oop, put back, or easy board (more inflated numbers).

there aren't many point guards that can stay in front of marbury defensively, so he will be drawing a second defender or he'll blow up for 35-40 points. Like he usually does against the Clippers.

If the guy is Frye or James, their defender will definitely come over to help.

[Edited by - rvhoss on 07/15/2005 21:09:47]
all kool aid all the time.
rvhoss
Member: #777
Switzerland
7/15/2005  9:15 PM
he averaged 23 points and 10 boards against us last year
http://www.nba.com/playerfile/antoine_walker/season_splits.html

Shoot...he averaged 20 points and 10 boards all of last year. HOOFAH.
all kool aid all the time.
Get Walker

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy