7/16/2005  3:26 PM
frye is outperforming butler, so somebodies grade is buggy
all kool aid all the time.
AUTOADVERT
Marv
Alba Posts: 69
Member: #315
7/16/2005  3:34 PM
It's funny. Frye gets fried for stepping up so big in the NCAA tourney. I know, it's because he wasn't that consistently good all year. I think he's going to grow in to consistency and give us that special intangible stuff that versatile 6'11" guys do, a la Bosh, Camby, Sheed, McHale, Salley, etc.
Knixkik
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #11
USA
7/16/2005  3:45 PM
I still see Frye as the next Rasheed Wallace minus quite as much range. I think his post game, mid range game, and all around smoothness and athletism plus his defense remind me of Wallace. He might not be as talented, but he can definitely put up Wallace-like numbers in the league.
bobs3304
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #948
7/16/2005  3:50 PM
Posted by Knixkik:

I still see Frye as the next Rasheed Wallace minus quite as much range. I think his post game, mid range game, and all around smoothness and athletism plus his defense remind me of Wallace. He might not be as talented, but he can definitely put up Wallace-like numbers in the league.

How can you be "not as talented as Rasheed", but put up the same numbers? Rasheed has been a walking 20 and 10 most of his career. Nowadays, Detroit doesn't need him to assert himself quite as much, but he still puts up impressive numbers.

Frye doesn't seem to have the post presence, or anywhere close to the range that Sheed does. And he also doesn't have the aggressiveness that Sheed brings most games. Frye seems a little backward. And instead of showing up as a polished, ready, college graduate...he seems to be feeling his way through the SL, which is not a good sign. He should be dominating these kids, plain and simple...
DLee is the best thing to happen to NY in Isiah's 4 year tenure. And that alone, though a positive on the radar, is sad as hell.
crzymdups
Member: #671
USA
7/16/2005  3:52 PM
Posted by bobs3304:
Posted by Marv:

We shall see guys.

I think Fryre will be a lot closer to Chris Bosh than Charles Smith.

Frye has nowhere near the explosiveness that Bosh does. In fact, he's looked a step slow in SL so far. His hops aren't impressive either...

Funny you should say that, because Bosh averaged 3 rebounds per game over two different summer leagues and looked like GARBAGE (including AFTER his rookie year when he averaged 14ppg and 7rpg in the league). Shockingly, since summer league has little to do with the NBA game, especially for big men what with the lack of spacing and structure to the game, Bosh was fine once he hit the NBA, and he's well on his way to being an all-star. But if we're going by summer league stats, Maciej Lampe and Skita both outplayed him, outscored, outshot and outrebounded. Who would you rather have?

Anyone passing judgement on Frye based on these summer league results is seeing what they want to see - which is apparently for the kid to fail. The only thing that means less than summer league is stats acquired in summer league.

[Edited by - crzymdups on 07/16/2005 15:53:22]
¿ △ ?
bobs3304
7/16/2005  4:00 PM
I'll certainly give you that. But I'm basing my opinion not only on the SL games (all 6 so far), but also on his 4 year college career. It's very rare when a player that has been in the limelight that long suddenly becomes bigger and better overnight...
DLee is the best thing to happen to NY in Isiah's 4 year tenure. And that alone, though a positive on the radar, is sad as hell.
Marv
Alba Posts: 69
Member: #315
7/16/2005  4:01 PM
Posted by bobs3304:

I'll certainly give you that. But I'm basing my opinion not only on the SL games (all 6 so far), but also on his 4 year college career. It's very rare when a player that has been in the limelight that long suddenly becomes bigger and better overnight...

Isn't that exactly what he did in the NCAA tourney?
crzymdups
USA
7/16/2005  4:13 PM
Posted by bobs3304:

well, we'll just have to see on that one. But the Charles Smith comparisons are ridiculous - especially when Tim Thomas is doing everything he can to emulate Charles Smith's career as we speak.

Frye is a slightly smaller Tyson Chandler with a Kurt Thomas jumper. Is he an offensive weapon? Yes. Is he a beast in the post? No. Is he a difference-maker? Possibly.
¿ △ ?
Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
7/16/2005  4:20 PM
Posted by bobs3304:
Posted by Knixkik:

How can you be "not as talented as Rasheed", but put up the same numbers? Rasheed has been a walking 20 and 10 most of his career. Nowadays, Detroit doesn't need him to assert himself quite as much, but he still puts up impressive numbers.

Frye doesn't seem to have the post presence, or anywhere close to the range that Sheed does. And he also doesn't have the aggressiveness that Sheed brings most games. Frye seems a little backward. And instead of showing up as a polished, ready, college graduate...he seems to be feeling his way through the SL, which is not a good sign. He should be dominating these kids, plain and simple...
I'm saying his numbers in Detroit. I see Frye averaging 15, 8, and 1.5 blocks at some point just like Wallace is doing now. And my point is Wallace's numbers in Detroit don't reflect how good of a player he is. You're right he is a 20/10 player but is only going to put up 15/8 the rest of his career in Detroit. That's what Frye is capable of, not 20/10 but easily 15/8 on a good team.
bobs3304
7/16/2005  4:24 PM
If Frye played 30 Mins. a game, then I can def. see him pulling in 15 and 8. Only problem is he's not a starting caliber PF...at least not yet.

Chandler is a Marcus Camby type. Channing Frye doesnt really come close. I don't care what Isiah Thomas said. I've seen enough of all 3 to say that Frye is more of a Sheed type athlete than Camby and Chandler. As far as talent, I'd liken him more to a Charles Smith. Like it or not, the comparison is pretty solid.
crzymdups
USA
7/16/2005  4:25 PM
Posted by Knixkik:
Posted by bobs3304:
Posted by Knixkik:

I'm saying his numbers in Detroit. I see Frye averaging 15, 8, and 1.5 blocks at some point just like Wallace is doing now. And my point is Wallace's numbers in Detroit don't reflect how good of a player he is. You're right he is a 20/10 player but is only going to put up 15/8 the rest of his career in Detroit. That's what Frye is capable of, not 20/10 but easily 15/8 on a good team.

I agree with most of this. The thing that makes Sheed special is that he can impact the game outside the box score with his defense (usually). Also, Sheed is talented enough to put up 20 and 10, but he NEVER EVER has. That's what drives people nuts about him. He is a tough SOB though, and I dont know if Frye is that tough.

Frye doesn't have quite the talent or toughness Sheed has, but his head is in a better place and he should be able to do more with less. I'd be surprised if he was as tough as Sheed.
¿ △ ?
rain
Member: #353
USA
7/16/2005  4:28 PM
http://www.draftexpress.com/viewarticle.php?a=1046

crzymdups
USA
7/16/2005  4:38 PM
Really interesting thing from the Minnesota league yesterday is how much Bogut struggled.

7 pts, 3-6fg, 4 reb, 5 fouls, 3blk, 3TO

Summer league isn't for big men, even Bogut struggles. Bogut is lucky he didn't come to New York, people would have already decided he was a bust.

Bogut also gave up 25pts to perrenial summer league MVP Skita. It's a different game, guys. It's not structured and bigs like Frye and Bogut need a structured offense for their game.

[Edited by - crzymdups on 07/16/2005 16:40:01]
¿ △ ?
tomverve
Member: #878
7/16/2005  4:40 PM
If Knicks fans were Milwaukee fans...

Andrew Bogut is a bust! 7 pts 4 boards 5 fouls 3 turnovers! His NBA career is officially OVER! Milwaukee gets an F for passing up on Channing Frye.
help treat disease with your spare computing power : http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/
diderotn
Member: #650
USA
7/16/2005  4:43 PM
I was just about to post the same thing.....

Posted by tomverve:

If Knicks fans were Milwaukee fans...

Andrew Bogut is a bust! 7 pts 4 boards 5 fouls 3 turnovers! His NBA career is officially OVER! Milwaukee gets an F for passing up on Channing Frye.
The true Knickabocker..........
Panos
Member: #520
7/16/2005  5:04 PM
Posted by crzymdups:

well, we'll just have to see on that one. But the Charles Smith comparisons are ridiculous - especially when Tim Thomas is doing everything he can to emulate Charles Smith's career as we speak.

As much as I hate TT, he still doesn't suck as much as Smith did.
Killa4luv
Alba Posts: 51
Member: #261
USA
7/16/2005  5:16 PM
Posted by crzymdups:
Posted by bobs3304:
Posted by Marv:

We shall see guys.

I think Fryre will be a lot closer to Chris Bosh than Charles Smith.

Frye has nowhere near the explosiveness that Bosh does. In fact, he's looked a step slow in SL so far. His hops aren't impressive either...

Funny you should say that, because Bosh averaged 3 rebounds per game over two different summer leagues and looked like GARBAGE (including AFTER his rookie year when he averaged 14ppg and 7rpg in the league). Shockingly, since summer league has little to do with the NBA game, especially for big men what with the lack of spacing and structure to the game, Bosh was fine once he hit the NBA, and he's well on his way to being an all-star. But if we're going by summer league stats, Maciej Lampe and Skita both outplayed him, outscored, outshot and outrebounded. Who would you rather have?

Anyone passing judgement on Frye based on these summer league results is seeing what they want to see - which is apparently for the kid to fail. The only thing that means less than summer league is stats acquired in summer league.

[Edited by - crzymdups on 07/16/2005 15:53:22]

Great points Crazy!
Especially since there are so many interpretations of whats wrong or going on based on stats alone. I know I have only seen 1 game, so I dont place too much faith in stats. Especially not fouls, when the reffing is horrible or stats when the staticians suck as well. I would just like to see the guys play and kind of see what I can see.
simrud
Member: #474
USA
7/16/2005  6:35 PM
Looks guys, at this point Frye is what he is. Just let it be until he plays regular season games. It is clear he is not going ot domnate in SL the way the games are played right now.

Lets hope things will change in the pre season or regular season. Like I said before, my expectations are very low. When was the last time the Knicks actually not wasted a 1st round pick anyways. At least this year we seemed to get 2 solid players in Nate and Lee. As for Frye, screw him, I'm not gonna let him spoil the fact that Nate is doing great and Lee is exceeding all expectations.
A glimmer of hope maybe?!?
roblackman
Member: #926
7/16/2005  6:41 PM
How was any big on the Knicks going to dominate the Vegas league when Ariza was our leading assist man at something like 2.6 a game! Could somebody please distribute the ball!
And the reply is...a post that makes sense (still waiting)
simrud
Member: #474
USA
7/16/2005  6:46 PM
I think it has been said many times that the stats are all wrong. Every time I read a review of the game, Nate is said to get at lest 4-5 assts.
A glimmer of hope maybe?!?
Minnesota Summer League

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy