[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Things are looking really sad right now....
Author Thread
diderotn
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #650
USA
7/15/2005  7:37 AM
There are two things that Isiah is not good at, he is not good at picking coaches, and he is not good at going after FAs. One of the reasons why that is the case is because he is always trying to go after the big names or guys that he doesn't have enough assets to attract. Isiah has a lot to learn about the GM position....he is in the right track, but those two things that I have mentioned above will be his downfall. In my opinion, he needs to do the things that he is very strong at doing, I.E. scouting for talents, play the politics of the game and so fort, but when it comes to FAs and coaches, he needs to have someone else incharge of that. He can always retain the vetoe or approval card, but let whoever is that chosen person do 90% of that job.

I am very sad now about our coaching news, very sad.
The true Knickabocker..........
AUTOADVERT
rvhoss
Member: #777
Switzerland
7/15/2005  7:39 AM
actually, I don't even know what we could do...I'm not as big a fan of herb as I was after the season...however, his assistant coach choice may be someone we can use.

What about the ex timberwolve coach? He loves marbs and has no job.
all kool aid all the time.
simrud
Member: #474
USA
7/15/2005  7:59 AM
Westpaul (not sure about the spelling) is actually a good coach. He is offensive minded, but thats what we are built to be anyways. I personally wanted a defensive minded taskmaster ala Hubie Brown, but if we are gonna get Westpaul, why is he not the headcoach? I just don't get it. The guy has a .60+ winning percentage record, how in the world is he supposed to be an assistaqnt to Herb and not the other way around?
A glimmer of hope maybe?!?
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
7/15/2005  8:23 AM
not good at going after FAs
? He signed Jamal and Jackie Butler. We can leave the JJ signing to other threads.
BigAppleStar3
Member: #683
USA
7/15/2005  9:21 AM
I'm with you...I've lost ALL confidence and excitment for this season with Herb Williams as the Coach. Say hell to another 30 wins, Malik Rose and Penny Hardaway getting 30 mpg and the young players not developing. But hey, we should still bring Herb back in 2007 just because he's a nice guy!

PATHETIC!!!
Pharzeone
Alba Posts: 14
Member: #871
7/15/2005  9:34 AM
Posted by simrud:

Westpaul (not sure about the spelling) is actually a good coach. He is offensive minded, but thats what we are built to be anyways. I personally wanted a defensive minded taskmaster ala Hubie Brown, but if we are gonna get Westpaul, why is he not the headcoach? I just don't get it. The guy has a .60+ winning percentage record, how in the world is he supposed to be an assistaqnt to Herb and not the other way around?

I stated this a couple of times on other other threads like give Herb a chance. Westphal has a better background than Herb and took a team to the Finals. Why should he be Herb's assistant. In many ways Herb now reminds me of Don Chaney. Soft spoken, nice guy.

Btw, Dido, I thought for sure Isiah wouldn't sign James. I guess you are losing your touch, great one.
I don't like to play bad rookies , I like to play good rookies - Mike D'Antoni
bobs3304
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #948
7/15/2005  9:36 AM
Isiah's first choice:

Larry Brown

The matter isn't closed yet.
DLee is the best thing to happen to NY in Isiah's 4 year tenure. And that alone, though a positive on the radar, is sad as hell.
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
7/15/2005  11:08 AM
Posted by Bonn1997:
? He signed Jamal and Jackie Butler. We can leave the JJ signing to other threads.

Jamal was a sign & trade...who knows what we have in Butler...

JJ is his biggest FA signing...of course, there's also Vin Baker & Bruno Sundov.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
Bonn1997
USA
7/15/2005  11:11 AM
Posted by TMS:
Posted by Bonn1997:

Jamal was a sign & trade
What's your point?
nyk4ever
Alba Posts: 12
Member: #848
USA
7/15/2005  11:35 AM
You guys need to take a stand and stick with it. I see people on here going nuts one second and then making a complete 180 the next day. Jerome James needed to be signed guys, the Knicks needed to sign a true center that enjoys playing in a running game and is a shotblocker/mobile. Gregg Popovich spoke very highly about Jerome during and after the playoffs; that article is somewhere on this board.

Lets see what happens with the head coach, I still think there is a good chance that Larry Brown is going to be the coach, if things were going to be good between him and Detroit, do you think it would take 3 meetings to make sure things are good? Lets wait and see, Isiah had a great draft by adding 3 good young high energy players and he's also gotten Q which is a big upgrade over what we had. Things are looking good and Isiah still has 2 expiring contracts to work with, I don't think this roster is even near complete yet.

[Edited by - nyk4ever on 07/15/2005 11:36:43]
"OMG - did we just go on a two-trade-wining-streak?" -SupremeCommander
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
7/15/2005  11:38 AM
Posted by nyk4ever:

You guys need to take a stand and stick with it. I see people on here going nuts one second and then making a complete 180 the next day. Jerome James needed to be signed guys, the Knicks needed to sign a true center that enjoys playing in a running game and is a shotblocker/mobile. Gregg Popovich spoke very highly about Jerome during and after the playoffs; that article is somewhere on this board.

Lets see what happens with the head coach, I still think there is a good chance that Larry Brown is going to be the coach, if things were going to be good between him and Detroit, do you think it would take 3 meetings to make sure things are good? Lets wait and see, Isiah had a great draft by adding 3 good young high energy players and he's also gotten Q which is a big upgrade over what we had. Things are looking good and Isiah still has 2 expiring contracts to work with, I don't think this roster is even near complete yet.

you're right.

JEROME JAMES FOR PRESIDENT!!!
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
7/15/2005  11:54 AM
Posted by Bonn1997:
Posted by TMS:
Posted by Bonn1997:

Jamal was a sign & trade
What's your point?

my point was you were wrong...you said he was a FA signing...he was acquired in a sign & trade...get your facts straight.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
nyk4ever
Alba Posts: 12
Member: #848
USA
7/15/2005  12:53 PM
Posted by djsunyc:
Posted by nyk4ever:

you're right.

JEROME JAMES FOR PRESIDENT!!!

Haha, I wouldnt go that far but Im willing to give Jerome a chance, especially after reading the comments Pop had for him and what Adelman said about him after the playoffs as well. We'll see what happens.
"OMG - did we just go on a two-trade-wining-streak?" -SupremeCommander
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
7/15/2005  12:58 PM
Posted by diderotn:

There are two things that Isiah is not good at, he is not good at picking coaches, and he is not good at going after FAs. One of the reasons why that is the case is because he is always trying to go after the big names or guys that he doesn't have enough assets to attract. Isiah has a lot to learn about the GM position....he is in the right track, but those two things that I have mentioned above will be his downfall. In my opinion, he needs to do the things that he is very strong at doing, I.E. scouting for talents, play the politics of the game and so fort, but when it comes to FAs and coaches, he needs to have someone else incharge of that. He can always retain the vetoe or approval card, but let whoever is that chosen person do 90% of that job.

I am very sad now about our coaching news, very sad.

yesterday you were all pumped up!
Bonn1997
USA
7/15/2005  4:14 PM
Posted by TMS:
Posted by Bonn1997:
Posted by TMS:
Posted by Bonn1997:

Jamal was a sign & trade
What's your point?

my point was you were wrong...you said he was a FA signing...he was acquired in a sign & trade....
That's a distinction without a difference. Jamal was a FREE AGENT that Isiah spotted and orchestrated the signing of. The team that

get your facts straight
testy?
Masterplan
Member: #362
7/15/2005  4:41 PM
i also loved the dermarr johnson signing, didn't work out long term for us but we got a serviceable, helpful player and helped the kid get his career back on track.

i feel that IT is very good at finding unheralded FAs and taking a gamble on guys like dermarr or jackie, but he's a bit more suspect on going after big name guys.
BigRedDog
Member: #569
7/15/2005  4:52 PM
What FA's did you want him to go after but didn't get? Its difficult when we're over the cap.
Briggs-- Frank is 2 yrs away from being 2 years away
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
7/15/2005  5:24 PM
Posted by Masterplan:

i also loved the dermarr johnson signing, didn't work out long term for us but we got a serviceable, helpful player and helped the kid get his career back on track.

i feel that IT is very good at finding unheralded FAs and taking a gamble on guys like dermarr or jackie, but he's a bit more suspect on going after big name guys.

Jackie blue played 8 minutes last season.

But he could pan out eventually. If so, makes sweetney expendable.

All in due time!
diderotn
USA
7/15/2005  7:52 PM
I have been pumped up all until yesterday when I read that Laimbeer pulled his name out of the coaching hunt. I have no love for Herb to tell you all the truth. I never liked him as a player, and giving the fact that he did such a poor job after 40+ games proved to me that he is a horrible coach. Look, he was with Lenny the year before and most of all, he was with Lenny all through training camp. For him to not be able add the missing ingredient to get our boys to have a much better result once Lenny departed was absurd. Anyother coach would have had much better result with the players that we had, especially giving the fact that Lenny proved that those boys could play early on. fourty seven games are more than enough for Herb to have done something, but he failed.

I truly believe that Herb is not Isiah's decision in all honesty. I believe that the owner has something to do with Herb getting another chance.

yesterday you were all pumped up!
[/quote]
diderotn
USA
7/15/2005  8:02 PM
I liked some of his choices as FAs, but I hate the way he approaches some of his deals. He is too vivid...any good salesman can take advantage of him. I will give him this though, giving the fact that we have a horrible cap situation, he really doesn't have much room to make great moves, but he is making due dilligence with what he has.
Posted by Masterplan:

Things are looking really sad right now....

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy