[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Knicks Work Out Nene
Author Thread
Knixkik
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #11
USA
5/21/2002  5:40 PM
Maybyner Hilario, a 6-10, 264-pound Brazilian center, will work out today for the Knicks, who own the seventh pick in next month's NBA draft. Hilario, who could be drafted as high as fifth overall, is nicknamed "Nene," which translated from Portuguese means "baby."

Also participating in today's workout at SUNY-Purchase will be Utah's 6-10 Chris Burgess and 6-9 Corlsey Edwards from Central Connecticut State.
------
Sounds like they really like this guy right now. It will be interesting to see what kind of impression they have on him after the workout. We'll probably find that out tomorrow.
AUTOADVERT
Knixkik
USA
5/22/2002  3:33 PM
Apparently his workouts with the Knicks left everyone impressed. I really think this guy is for real as he's drawn comparisons to Kenyon Martin, Hakeem, and Zo. I also found this on Nene that someone posted on the realgm boards.

One of my baller buddies (he's a school bus driving), he had a very close friend works in Cleveland as a high school gym teacher, he's a HUGE basketball fan..specially a big fan for up coming star..and believe it or not..he's also a friend of Charles Oakley..anyways, he had a chance have to look at Nene in person and workout, he told him he is the most amazing rookie he ever saw and reminds him a lot to Zo, he was most impress by his shot blocking, but the low post game is only so so..he hopes the Cavs picks him up since he became a cavs fan..and this Nene guy is HUGE..he is hardly tell that he is a national player with his size..he doesn't have to go through any upper body work outs like Yao ming and Drew Gooden.

I don't know how accurate this is, but i like the sound of it either way. I'm liking the idea of drafting him more and more.
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
5/22/2002  3:52 PM
There was an article yesterday in which the Cleveland coach (Lucas?) had some only mediocre words for Nene. I kinda think that was a smoke screen.
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
Knixkik
USA
5/22/2002  5:14 PM
Posted by martin:

There was an article yesterday in which the Cleveland coach (Lucas?) had some only mediocre words for Nene. I kinda think that was a smoke screen.
It could possibly be. I see Hilario going anywhere between 6 and 13, considering his contract issues get cleared up. If Cleveland takes him at #6, that drops Gooden or Wagner to us. If Hilario is still on the board when our pick is up, we need to either take him or Wilcox.
VG
Member: #68
Australia
5/22/2002  10:30 PM
You know, physically, Hilario is easily one of the most intriguing prospect to ever declare for the Draft. I'm not exaggerating here, anyone that can block 5 shots and grab 7 (or 8?) in 18 minutes against the USA team at the 19 is pretty damn good. Now he has gained over 30 pounds since then while his body-fat percentage would be about the same to what it was and while athleticism hasn't been worsened due to the weight gain. I know you may all be sick of me writing about him but I really believe he's the guy we should go after. There is no doubt in mind that in his prime he could average numbers like 13 boards per game and 3 blocks per game... His shooting needs work but it is simply a matter of practice IMO. He is good at pick and rolls and he's got footwork inside so while he won't ever average 25 ppg, I think he is very capable of getting 15 a game. Good offensive players are not hard to get, intimdators like him are pretty rare nowadays...
killacross
Member: #58
USA
5/22/2002  10:33 PM
Posted by VG:

You know, physically, Hilario is easily one of the most intriguing prospect to ever declare for the Draft. I'm not exaggerating here, anyone that can block 5 shots and grab 7 (or 8?) in 18 minutes against the USA team at the 19 is pretty damn good. Now he has gained over 30 pounds since then while his body-fat percentage would be about the same to what it was and while athleticism hasn't been worsened due to the weight gain. I know you may all be sick of me writing about him but I really believe he's the guy we should go after. There is no doubt in mind that in his prime he could average numbers like 13 boards per game and 3 blocks per game... His shooting needs work but it is simply a matter of practice IMO. He is good at pick and rolls and he's got footwork inside so while he won't ever average 25 ppg, I think he is very capable of getting 15 a game. Good offensive players are not hard to get, intimdators like him are pretty rare nowadays...

Let's hope his stock doesnt rise too much so he will still be around at 7. From what everyone has said, Nene has the athleticism of Wilcox with more offensive pollish and has the size that gooden lacks.
ya cant stop me, you can only hope to contain me
BigSm00th
Member: #178
USA
5/22/2002  11:56 PM
considering his contract issues get cleared up.

What is his current contract situation, becuase drafting him at 19 and having him play at 19 in the NBA is a lot different then drafting him at 19 and having him start at 23 or 24. Does anyone know how much longer he's there? This was @ RealGM's wiretap:

Brazilian impresses Knicks
Added: 22nd May, 2002

Maybyner Hilário did more than just participate in a private workout for the New York Knicks yesterday… he impressed.

One of the exercises that the Knicks director of player personnel Sedric Toney asked the 6-10 19 year old to do was step out to the three point line, take two driving dribbles then dunk the ball. Hilário declined, instead opting to take one dribble before dunking before doing the same thing from each sideline.

"Nenê has a youthful exuberance," Layden said, using Hilário's Portuguese nickname. "He really has a huge upside. With that work ethic and enthusiasm, he's going to do well. For his size, he's got great quickness, he runs very fast, and he's a quick reactor. You could see why he's done well rebounding and blocking shots."
#Knickstaps
Knixkik
USA
5/23/2002  6:41 PM
Posted by BigSm00th:
considering his contract issues get cleared up.

What is his current contract situation
I know he is still on contract with Vasco da Gama, his Brazilian team. His agent says he should be cleared to play in the nba before the draft occurs so i don't think it's really anything we have to worry about. However, if there's that slight chance he might have to stay with Vasco next year or for two years, he will probably be drafted late first or early second round. He's ready now though and will be a mid lottery pick, late lotto at worst. In two years i bet he could be the number one or two pick in the draft. It's worth taking him now if he can get everything cleared up, no question about that.
VG
Australia
5/23/2002  7:49 PM
His contract situation: I don't know know how long he's signed for but I do know that he has not been paid yet this year so I think it'll make it easier for Hilario to play in the NBA next year. Not sure what current legislation is like in Brazil is like but I imagine Hilario should have the right to leave his team if they can't pay him...
Knixkik
USA
5/23/2002  9:33 PM
Posted by VG:

His contract situation: I don't know know how long he's signed for but I do know that he has not been paid yet this year so I think it'll make it easier for Hilario to play in the NBA next year. Not sure what current legislation is like in Brazil is like but I imagine Hilario should have the right to leave his team if they can't pay him...
Yeah i think you're right about that. I really hope he can come over and it seems like he will be able to. Bottom line is this guy is the real deal. He's got the intensity of Ben Wallace, post game of Hakeem, explosiveness of Kenyon Martin, and shot-blocking ability of Zo, as well as a similar frame. Not to mention he will probably have one of the top wingspans in the league. He will be a great player.
VG
Australia
5/24/2002  1:07 AM
Posted by Knixkik:
Posted by VG:

post game of Hakeem

Come on now, no need to exaggerate...
Knixkik
USA
5/24/2002  3:10 PM
post game of Hakeem[/quote]

Come on now, no need to exaggerate...
[/quote]
His post game isn't as polished as Hakeems obviously, but many say is post game is similar just by what he does. Thats all i'm saying. Still, you can't argue with the other comparisons though.
Vmart
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #247
USA
5/24/2002  4:56 PM
I'm for Hilario for being a Knick. I think he is the best powerforward in the draft. Gooden he is good but he hasn't played against NBA caliber players where Hilario has and shown that he can hold his own against them, Three straight blocks against Jermaine O'neal thats all I gotta say.

As far as the other Knicks Spree has to go this guy wants nothing more than to give his GS buddies a job(Gatling). Come on man from Webber to Gatling now that is a step down. Send Spree and Camby or Thomas to Clippers for the 8th pick and Olowokandi and pick up Q. Woods. I know everyone is going to say the Clippers won't do it, but there is nothing wrong in trying them, they might go for it.
Knixkik
USA
5/24/2002  5:45 PM
Posted by Vmart:

I'm for Hilario for being a Knick. I think he is the best powerforward in the draft. Gooden he is good but he hasn't played against NBA caliber players where Hilario has and shown that he can hold his own against them, Three straight blocks against Jermaine O'neal thats all I gotta say.

As far as the other Knicks Spree has to go this guy wants nothing more than to give his GS buddies a job(Gatling). Come on man from Webber to Gatling now that is a step down. Send Spree and Camby or Thomas to Clippers for the 8th pick and Olowokandi and pick up Q. Woods. I know everyone is going to say the Clippers won't do it, but there is nothing wrong in trying them, they might go for it.
Forget about the stupid Clipper trades. They won't do it and i don't really like it either. Draft Hilario, Wilcox, or Gooden and stay put. Thats how we will get back into the playoffs next year.
Vmart
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #247
USA
5/24/2002  6:19 PM
Draft Hilario, Wilcox, or Gooden and stay put. Thats how we will get back into the playoffs next year.
[/quote]

Knixkik, you sound to happy to get to the playoffs. By staying put you won't see the playoffs. You sound like layden with your stay put attitude thats why they are in this mess in the first place.
Knixkik
USA
5/24/2002  9:53 PM
Posted by Vmart:

Draft Hilario, Wilcox, or Gooden and stay put. Thats how we will get back into the playoffs next year.

Knixkik, you sound to happy to get to the playoffs. By staying put you won't see the playoffs. You sound like layden with your stay put attitude thats why they are in this mess in the first place.
[/quote]
They didn't have Camby this year or the player we will be getting. I think Camby and Hilario or Camby and Wilcox will make the difference.
falcindor
Member: #42
USA
5/24/2002  10:20 PM
Knicks cannot stay put. Our PG position is a mess. Our PF's are soft and there are too many of them. I think the last time seen a PG penetrate in lane was Derek Harper (i still cant forgive them for not resigning him). Our PF position needs a 40minute star. Knicks may have to part with something or someone they might not want to (Sprewell and a future pick) to get a major upgrade at that position. Camby has been thrown to the wolves to play physical when he isnt a physical player.
Fritz Alcindor Jr. *FUTURE KNICK GM* falcindor@hotmail.com
Knicks Work Out Nene

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy