[ IMAGES: Images OFF turn on | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Making a winner and making a dollar-Isiah's plan
Author Thread
bobs3304
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #948
7/17/2005  5:01 PM
In order to do that you need a franchise player. You need to have the amazingly good fortune of drafting a Duncan or Garnett or Shaq. When Boston drafted Bird in 79, they improved like 40 games the next season. One player can have that type of impact. Ewing was our franchise player for almost 15 years. Without him, without a franchise star, you depend on several factors to determine your fate. The Pistons are one of the rare teams that were able to do it without a consensus superstar. I find it hard to believe they'll be winning another one without Larry Brown in the mix...
DLee is the best thing to happen to NY in Isiah's 4 year tenure. And that alone, though a positive on the radar, is sad as hell.
AUTOADVERT
tapseer
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #698
7/17/2005  6:37 PM
Posted by bobs3304:

In order to do that you need a franchise player. You need to have the amazingly good fortune of drafting a Duncan or Garnett or Shaq. When Boston drafted Bird in 79, they improved like 40 games the next season. One player can have that type of impact. Ewing was our franchise player for almost 15 years. Without him, without a franchise star, you depend on several factors to determine your fate. The Pistons are one of the rare teams that were able to do it without a consensus superstar. I find it hard to believe they'll be winning another one without Larry Brown in the mix...

Yeah, but by your post here, those special players are few and far between. You really have to have the stars align right to get a FRANCHISE PLAYER. So what do you do in the meantime? Be the Clippers or Golden State and stay in the lottery forever till hopefully you get a franchise player? You do what IT has done or is attempting to do and find players that fit the system you want. We went from having a a bunch of marginal talent bums to I don't know what, but I'll take these guys over any of the Layden teams. If you're yearning for the Ward, Eisley, Weatherspoon, Shandone days, then go find some old tapes.
BasketballJones
Alba Posts: 19
Member: #290
USA
7/17/2005  7:28 PM
Isiah's doing a decent job. Much better than his predecessor. However, I'm getting weary of having a whole new team every few months. I hope that we can settle down soon and get to know a core group of players that we can support.
https:// It's not so hard.
rvhoss
Member: #777
Switzerland
7/17/2005  8:01 PM
I think we are settled at all positions.

We still have a log jam at PF, which most definitely be cleared up by the trading deadline.

Starting lineup for years to come (well, atleast 2 years)
marbs/Craw/nate
Q/Craw/Nate
TT/Q/Craw
Frye/4pfs/Lee
James/Frye

My playoff roster morphs the 4pfs into One quality stud. Or one of them steps up and plays to their potential (moT, Sweets) or Gives us what we need in terms of a veteran that can give leadership and quality minutes (Rose), or provides a rodman like experience (JYD) in the paint on both ends.

all kool aid all the time.
bobs3304
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #948
7/17/2005  8:12 PM
Posted by rvhoss:

I think we are settled at all positions.

We still have a log jam at PF, which most definitely be cleared up by the trading deadline.

Starting lineup for years to come (well, atleast 2 years)
marbs/Craw/nate
Q/Craw/Nate
TT/Q/Craw
Frye/4pfs/Lee
James/Frye

My playoff roster morphs the 4pfs into One quality stud. Or one of them steps up and plays to their potential (moT, Sweets) or Gives us what we need in terms of a veteran that can give leadership and quality minutes (Rose), or provides a rodman like experience (JYD) in the paint on both ends.

There are many things wrong with that lineup:

A.) If Timmy isn't traded before his contract's up, he WON'T be brought back, unless he has some sort miraculous season.

B.)You don't just say "Frye, 4 PF's, Lee"...that just doesn't work. I understand our team may be set until the middle of next season, but you simply can't overlook the fact that minutes will be few and far between for a few players if our PF situation isn't addressed before the season begins. It's not quantity that counts, it's quality. I'd rather have 2 PF's in total if they were both very solid and skilled as opposed to 6 PF's that are mediocre. Frye may or may not turn out to be the real deal; we have to wait and see. Same goes with Lee, who, btw, will see minutes at SF. But, as far as I'm concerned, that PF glut needs to be addressed BEFORE October. You can't go into yet another season having serious question marks regarding the rotation...
DLee is the best thing to happen to NY in Isiah's 4 year tenure. And that alone, though a positive on the radar, is sad as hell.
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
7/17/2005  8:21 PM
Posted by Bobby:
siahs job is to:
1. Build an exciting, playoff caliber team that fills the seats and sells merchandise.

2. Build a team that can compete for a championship.

Half of the people here seem to miss this. These are his priorities in that order. He cannot build a championship caliber team through the draft by sucking for 3 years to get very high lotto picks. It simply is not an option.

In order to accomplish those 2 goals, he has:

1. Acquired a big name player to be the face of the franchise, who added talent, excitement and sales.
2. Stockpiled young, athletic talent through trades and the draft.
3. Added some veteran players who have skill, and can contribute while youngsters develop and add depth at certain positions.

This is obviously the plan. You don't have to like it, but you ought to accept it as reality. Signing Jerome James was consistant with that plan. We needed a center, he shot for the best MLE players and in the end I have to believe Jerome James was the best available option. There is no reason to believe otherwise. Is JJ the player any of us wanted? No. Does he make sense for a team without a center for the MLE? Absolutely.

The sign & trade players are still available and he may acquire one of them as well. If he does get us a good PF or Center before the season starts we will have a well balanced, deep, talented roster made up of a mix of young and veteran players.

if this was zeke's first season in new york your assessment would be complimentary. all the trading and drafting in nearly 3 seasons has not produced a winning season.

at this point in time, mentioning championship is wishfull thinking as the ultimate goal and should not be confused with short term goals. first thing first, when will knick fans be treated to a winning season?
How does 1 1/2 seasons count as nearly 3 seasons? How much winning did you expect the team to do in the next 1 1/2 years when the team Isiah inherited was using a lineup of
Ward, Eisley
Shandon Anderson
Keith Van Horn
Kurt Thomas
Dikembe Mutombo

I didn't think the team would make the playofss in either of the next two seasons; I was pleasantly surprised that they did in one of the two.
Bobby
Member: #408
USA
7/17/2005  9:54 PM
if zeke stayed with that lineup for 82 games, i would give you a little cheese with your whine, but his own selected lineup of........

star
craw
tt/ariza
sweets
nzar/kt

with jyd/rose/taylor/baker and moochie only to validate a 32-50 season?
I didn't think the team would make the playofss in either of the next two seasons; I was pleasantly surprised that they did in one of the two.

as a knick fan you should be ashamed to even mention that playoff....thanks for selling out pleasantly
"Like they always say, New York is the Mecca of basketball,"I read that in Michael Jordan books my whole life and I played here in the Big East tournament, so it's always fun to play in the Mecca of basketball."---Rip Hamilton
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
7/18/2005  2:21 AM
as a knick fan you should be ashamed to even mention that playoff
huh? I was disappointed with how the playoffs went when Marbury was the only Knick who could play well while Houston and TT were injured but I was still glad to see my team make the playoffs for the first time in 3 years. There's nothing wrong with gradual progress. (The progress obviously did not continue last season, though.)

if zeke stayed with that lineup for 82 games
what lineup?

but his own selected lineup of........
star
craw
tt/ariza
sweets
nzar/kt

It's a work in progress. It's extremely far from being done but how can you complain about a lineup that makes the changes below?

Ward and Eisley to Marbury and Nate Robinson
Shandon Anderson to Q-Rich and Jamal
Keith VAn Horn to Trevor Ariza, Q-Rich, (TT if still on the team)
Kurt Thomas to Channing Frye, Michael Sweetney
Mutombo to James
Solace
Alba Posts: 20
Member: #479
USA
7/18/2005  3:50 AM
I think the Pistons model has made some people delusional. Let's go back and review what the Pistons did, exactly.

The Pistons had outstanding management.

In 1999-2000, the Pistons had a team of:

C-Christian Laettner
PF-Terry Mills
SF-Grant Hill
SG-Jerry Stackhouse
PG-Lindsey Hunter

6th man:
Jerome Williams

The Pistons traded Hill for Ben Wallace and Chucky Atkins. They packaged Jerome Williams, Montross, etc... for Corliss Williamson. Fine.

By the 2001-2002, they traded John Wallace for Cliff Robinson (who they later traded for Bob Sura).

Then it was Stackhouse for Rip Hamilton, and signed Chauncey Billups. They capped that with the drafting of Tayshaun Prince.

Finally, they traded a group of bench scrubs and a first rounder for Rasheed Wallace.

Result:
C-Ben Wallace
PF-Rasheed Wallace
SF-Tayshaun Prince
SG-Rip Hamilton
PG-Chauncey Billups

Now, what's the point? The point is the Pistons are an incredibly rare situation, firstoff. Second off, they were managed extremely well and they found complimentary pieces. Finally, they traded overrated guys for undervalued studs.

The Pistons are the only team since the inception of the salary cap that has managed to build this way. Let's get one thing straight, though... the Knicks haven't accomplished anything close to this. At first glance, it may appear that they have, but look at it closer.

Pistons acquire stud center (Ben Wallace) via trade, by giving up highly rated player (Grant Hill). The Knicks could roll with an option like this, but I'd be flamed for mentioning it.

Chauncy Billups was a PG signed with the MLE. The PG talent is very deep in the NBA, so it is 10x easier to get to-be great guard in the NBA via MLE than a equatable big man. Even Shareef, who is close 20-10 and no defense is asking for $10+ MM this offseason.

Hamiton was taken in a smart trade.

Tayshaun Prince was a brilliant draft pick.

Rasheed to the Pistons was one of those situations where they got lucky. The Celtics didn't want the Knicks to get Rasheed, so they took Atkins to make the Sheed-trade work just to screw the Knicks for no good reason. That's a rare situation and normally the Pistons would've been SoL trying to acquire Rasheed that offseason.

There's one more thing to note about the Pistons. Every single one of those guys has a reputation for solid or A+ defense. They were built in that mold, which is why they were able to win a championship without having your prototypical Shaq or Duncan manning the middle.

Now, consider that and move onto the Knicks...

Our backcourt is Q, Crawford, Marbury and Nate. Is that not the worst defensive backcourt in the entire league? This is far from the Pistons mold. That factor alone will have us giving up close to 100 pts per night.

Ball handling and sharing: The Pistons are a very unselfish team. The Knicks have a backcourt full of guys who command the ball. A ton of scorers doesn't win you a title: ask the Mavs of a few years ago.

Front court offense: Jerome James plays 16 mpg and puts up 5 and 3. Hardly stellar. Frye looks overpowered by opposing centers and now is being shifted to PF. At this rate, he'll be playing SF before the season's end. Frye will score a few points, at least, though. David Lee is a great athlete, but his basketball skills are subpar. Malik Rose and Jerome Williams are defensive players who will not offer much on the offensive end. It's sad when our best offensive options in the front court look to be Mike Sweetney and Mo Taylor. Something's gotta give, no?

Coaching situation: It's bad. Herb Williams is a pretty shoddy coach. The fact we didn't get a better coach this offseason worries me a little.

Then to rub salt in the wound, we're VERY FAR away from being far enough under the cap to sign a stud. Next year's draft is a dud, so don't expect much from that one. Pretty much, this team might be the one we're going with for the next two years. We might make the playoffs (I hope), but I'm not counting on it. I say 50/50 we make the playoffs, although my personal (somewhat pessimistic) prediction is 37 wins.

I think we've done the opposite of what a team like the Pistons did. We added a bunch of finishing pieces to a masterpiece, yet with Craw, Q and Marbury as our core, we're very far from a masterpiece.

One more thing that worries me... if this season is a dud, I could see Marbury asking to be traded.
simrud
Member: #474
USA
7/18/2005  9:20 AM
Marbury asking for a trade? hahahahahaahahaa

Please, a guy who is a career looser will demand a trade? Who do you think even wants his primadona no defense, soon to turn 30, 20+ million makin punk behind?
A glimmer of hope maybe?!?
Killa4luv
Alba Posts: 51
Member: #261
USA
7/18/2005  10:05 AM
Posted by Bobby:

if this was zeke's first season in new york your assessment would be complimentary. all the trading and drafting in nearly 3 seasons has not produced a winning season.

Let me guess, Math wasn't your strong point in school.
Isiah had the half season with Steph and last year. When this season starts he will be approaching the completion of 2 seasons by the trading deadline.
first thing first, when will knick fans be treated to a winning season?
This season, and that is a guarantee.
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
7/18/2005  10:45 AM
Posted by Killa4luv:

wow - killa MAKING guarantees.
killa aka dido?!?!?!?
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
7/18/2005  11:00 AM
Posted by bobs3304:

couldn't have said it any better myself. hoping to win it all without a true franchise player and without Larry Brown is hoping for the impossible
Killa4luv
USA
7/18/2005  3:01 PM
Posted by djsunyc:
Posted by Killa4luv:

killa aka dido?!?!?!?
LOL! Not Dido, but we are making the playoffs, I am certain of that. We could have made it last year and we know have a better squad than last year. You don't think we're going? And with Larry Brown maybe coming our way you don't see it?
Killa4luv
USA
7/18/2005  3:03 PM
Solace, nice post, but none of that means we can't build a contender without tanking and getting a #1 pick.

And getting under the cap isn't the only way to acquire a stud.

[Edited by - killa4luv on 07/18/2005 15:03:59]
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
7/18/2005  3:07 PM
Posted by Killa4luv:
Posted by djsunyc:
Posted by Killa4luv:

killa aka dido?!?!?!?
LOL! Not Dido, but we are making the playoffs, I am certain of that. We could have made it last year and we know have a better squad than last year. You don't think we're going? And with Larry Brown maybe coming our way you don't see it?

i think, as presently consituted, there are still a whole lotta question marks. it could all go south and win 35-37 games or we could really gel and win 45-48 games (like seattle last year). i think we'll be somewhere in the .500 range and fighting for one of the last seeds. but there's A LONG way to go before the season starts so anything can happen...
Making a winner and making a dollar-Isiah's plan

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy