Making a winner and making a dollar-Isiah's plan
Author Thread
Killa4luv
Alba Posts: 51
Member: #261
USA
7/15/2005  11:55 AM
Posted by simrud:

How can it be called rebuilding when several of your young veterans are being blocked by mediocre overpaid vets, who are designed to bring you in contention for the playoffs (but arent good enough to win you a championship). Rebuilding requires more than just buying the materials...you have to put them together.
All of our young players need to be coming off of the bench because they simply are not good enough to start with the exception of Sweetney and maybe Frye. Just because we can't win a championship doesn't mean Ariza, Nate and Lee should be getting 40 mpg a night. Remember what #1 on his job description is:
Build an exciting, playoff caliber team that fills the seats and sells merchandise.

Maybe you think Ariza and those guys can win it all if they're given the minutes? Maybe you think they'll fill the seats and sell all the merchandise? If you do, you are alone in that thinking. We'd be the Hawks north, and that isn't an option in the middle of Manhattan. We don't have young guys like Dwight Howard playing behind Malik Rose. Our young Guys are not stars waiting to break out. They are role players and maybe 2nd and 3rd scoring options in their prime. 40 mpg wont necassarily make them better faster.

AUTOADVERT
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
7/15/2005  11:58 AM
Posted by Killa4luv:

Vin Baker was the same thing, we desperately needed a big and he was available and very cheap so its not like it made such a difference.

Mo Taylor, is a talented player who was had for expiring bums. Yeah his contract is kinda ludicrous, but I actually liked Mo Taylor, I saw the potential in him to be a good player, he can do alot on offense. But I;ll concede this move hasn't panned out so well, but it still may and he expires with H20, so it was worth a chance.
what frustrates me is that some of the moves he makes are a little bit of headscratchers and kind of delays the plan from coming to fruition a little bit. that's my only gripe with him.

I don't see any moves that have stopped the plan from coming into fruition. Once you accept that getting under the cap wasn't ever part of the plan, then I can't see anything that actually delays the plan from coming to fruition. Except...

oh yeah, the plan is still moving, nothing technically "stopped" it, just delayed it a bit. i mean, instead of vin last season, let's say he picked up pryzbilla, who was just dangling out there.

i can't expect every GM to be perfect. but vin wasn't going to take us anywhere. his end of the bench last year was atrocious:

bruno, (that guard from indiana - pretty boy), jermaine, vin, moochie - those 4 spots need to be filled with higher ceiling players.

and now we should have that.
knixphan
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #258
Switzerland
7/15/2005  1:23 PM
I think you have to repect the juggling act that it must be to simultaneously keep the Knicks a profitable piece of entertainment (yes, it is) while sowing the seeds for future stars to develop. I have to say I don't hate what Isiah is doing. Under the New York circumstances, I don't see a more reasonable way to walk that tightrope. And man, it just feels good to have someone on the roster who's 7'1". No more waltzing to the hoop by opposing sg's.
"I will dress in bright and cheery colors, and so throw my enemies into confusion."
bobs3304
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #948
7/15/2005  1:26 PM
Isiah's goal is to build a consistent playoff team. In order to build a championship caliber team, however, he'd have to be willing to scrap the team, and start over. He, as well as Dolan, are not willing to do that. Which is why any team with Dolan and Isiah at the helm will be a 2nd-3rd Round playoff team AT BEST. I don't so much mind that, b/c even Knick teams with Ewing couldn't get past the 1st round. Then again, that was the late 80's. Different league back then.

[Edited by - bobs3304 on 07/15/2005 13:28:33]
DLee is the best thing to happen to NY in Isiah's 4 year tenure. And that alone, though a positive on the radar, is sad as hell.
Rich
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #511
USA
7/15/2005  1:44 PM
People don't "miss it."

The point is that the goals are incompatible.

The Knicks will NEVER when a championship under this phony plan.
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
7/15/2005  1:48 PM
Posted by Rich:

People don't "miss it."

careful Rich...they'll label you a hater if you present an opposing viewpoint.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
Killa4luv
USA
7/15/2005  2:57 PM
Posted by TMS:
Posted by Rich:

People don't "miss it."

Opposing viewpoint. I think making a conclusive statement about events which have never happened is not an opposing viewpoint. In some circles a statement like that is called
clairvoyance: The supposed power to see objects or events that cannot be perceived by the senses.

There are a number of ways to build a championship team, but you guys only see 1. Thats fine. But stop trying to tell everyone else that something is NEVER going to happen in the future because it doesn't follow your plan.

[Edited by - killa4luv on 07/15/2005 14:57:56]
franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
7/15/2005  2:59 PM
Posted by Killa4luv:
Posted by simrud:

In my opinion IT pla is to build a team that makes the playoffs but has no chance to win it all. Simply because for that rebuilding is required. So IT's plan is to be a mediorce playoff team.

I don't like it personally.
Sim, thats stupid. His plan is to build a team that has no chance of winning? His plan is to build a mediocre team?

Everything he is doing now, is consistant with us getting better in the long run and the short run.

When James starts slowing down in 4 years, he will be a backup to Frye and whatever other big we have at the time. He'll also be making 5.9 per which is a very reasonable and tradeable contract for a 7 footer off the bench.

Q, Craw, Ariza, Frye, Nate and Lee will be in or close to their primes. JYD, Rose, H20 and Mo T will all be history. Why is that plan so hard for you to see?

while I don't agree with sim- he does have a point and that is I'm afraid that in trying to stay competitive, IT will only be able to make the team good enough to be mediocre.

This year I could see us being either good enough to make the 8 spot or just miss it- result, bad, mid range pick that I think if its not lottery is owed to the Suns. Either way, barring a trade of TT, we're probably going to see this same roster again next season.

Marginal improvements from Frye, Nate, etc- then in 07, again, no major strides- maybe we make 8.

So, its like being stuck in quick sand- not good enough to compete and not bad enough to win the lotto
jaydh
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #96
7/15/2005  3:04 PM
Posted by simrud:

How can it be called rebuilding when several of your young veterans are being blocked by mediocre overpaid vets, who are designed to bring you in contention for the playoffs (but arent good enough to win you a championship). Rebuilding requires more than just buying the materials...you have to put them together.

no one expects timmy to be here long. and jerome starting over frye isnt going to hurt him since he isnt ready to start... so, now where is one of your young players being blocked?
jaydh
7/15/2005  3:04 PM
Posted by TMS:
Posted by Rich:

People don't "miss it."

only if you dont back it up
Killa4luv
USA
7/15/2005  3:29 PM
while I don't agree with sim- he does have a point and that is I'm afraid that in trying to stay competitive, IT will only be able to make the team good enough to be mediocre.

This year I could see us being either good enough to make the 8 spot or just miss it- result, bad, mid range pick that I think if its not lottery is owed to the Suns. Either way, barring a trade of TT, we're probably going to see this same roster again next season.

Marginal improvements from Frye, Nate, etc- then in 07, again, no major strides- maybe we make 8.

So, its like being stuck in quick sand- not good enough to compete and not bad enough to win the lotto
Winning the lotto isnt the only way to get better. Detroit has been to the finals twice and are at least in the ECF next year and their high lotto pick is Darko. None of their starters was drafted except Tayshaun Prince who is arguably the weakest link in their starting 5. Building through the draft is an option, but it isn't the only one and you all seem to be convinced that it is.

[Edited by - killa4luv on 07/15/2005 15:34:00]
simrud
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #474
USA
7/15/2005  3:50 PM
No team in the history of the NBA has won doing business like the Knicks do. It is very simple really. If you want to be deslusional be my guest.

A glimmer of hope maybe?!?
jaydh
7/15/2005  3:52 PM
Posted by simrud:

No team in the history of the NBA has won doing business like the Knicks do. It is very simple really. If you want to be deslusional be my guest.

please elaborate on this... you mean, try to rebuild while being over the cap?
nyk4ever
Alba Posts: 12
Member: #848
USA
7/15/2005  4:21 PM
Posted by simrud:

I don't get what they are doing that is so bad. Why do some people think that the only way to win the Naismith trophy is by drafting a roster. Shaq wasnt drafted by the Lakers and neither was Kobe. The Heat didn't draft Shaq. The Pistons only drafted Prince.

My point is, these teams all had smart GMs that made smart moves, not one of them went through a rebuilding phase that put them in the 1st spot in the lottery. I don't get what the big deal is about what the Knicks do, all these teams I mentioned are over the salary cap and so are the Knicks, yes the Knicks are more over the cap then the other teams but whats the difference, they are still over. None of these teams were under the salary cap and able to go out and sign a huge free agent to make them the championship teams that they are, they did it through key trades and making the best out of their draft picks, just like Isiah is doing.

The only recent team that has won by getting their best player in the draft is the Spurs and the only reason they got Tim Duncan is becuase David Robinson got hurt that year and they tanked, the Spurs had a pretty good team that year when DRob got hurt. Rebuilding through the draft rarely works out and I'm extremely happy with the route the Knicks are taking right now.
"OMG - did we just go on a two-trade-wining-streak?" -SupremeCommander
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
7/15/2005  4:25 PM
kobe was drafted by the Lakers and I'm not sure without Kobe they would've won 3 championships. as dominant as Shaq was.

Spurs - Duncan, D-Rob
Rockets - Olajuwon
Bulls- Jordan
Pistons - Isiah, dumars
Knicks - Ewing( when we were good)

Detroit is the only exception. When you put together a talented players group and get Larry Brown to get them to play as a team then beasting a Lakers team in shambles is very possible

[Edited by - gunsnewing on 07/15/2005 16:28:22]
nyk4ever
Alba Posts: 12
Member: #848
USA
7/15/2005  4:27 PM
Posted by gunsnewing:

kobe was drafted by the Lakers and I'm not sure without Kobe they would've won 3 championships. as dominant as Shaq was

Kobe was not drafted by the Lakers, he was drafted by the Hornets and traded to the Lakers for Eddie Jones and Elden Campbell.
"OMG - did we just go on a two-trade-wining-streak?" -SupremeCommander
jaydh
7/15/2005  4:28 PM
Posted by gunsnewing:

kobe was drafted by the Lakers and I'm not sure without Kobe they would've won 3 championships. as dominant as Shaq was

kobe was drafted by the lakers huh? i think shaq would have won with EJ.
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
7/15/2005  4:30 PM
Posted by nyk4ever:
Posted by gunsnewing:

Kobe was not drafted by the Lakers, he was drafted by the Hornets and traded to the Lakers for Eddie Jones and Elden Campbell.

true except we would never trade young veterans like eddie jones & campbell for a high schooler EVER in NY.

[Edited by - gunsnewing on 07/15/2005 16:30:25]
Killa4luv
USA
Posted by gunsnewing:

Shaq was the key to each and every one of those championships, and to say anything else is pure insanity. Kobe could have been replaced, Shaq couldn't have. Shaq was the key and he wasn't drafted.
Killa4luv
USA
Posted by jaydh:
Posted by gunsnewing:

kobe was drafted by the lakers huh? i think shaq would have won with EJ.
Me too.
Making a winner and making a dollar-Isiah's plan

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy