Isiah is a walking contradiction
Author Thread
Rich
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #511
USA
7/14/2005  12:24 PM
Posted by Silverfuel:

I really dont think we should've taken a chance on this guy. He reminds me too much of TT. All the potential, no motivation. I am happy we didnt get him.

What other Cs would they be able to get with such a high ceiling? True, he is a boom/bust proposition, but James is a dog, and the Knicks are giving him a five year contract. He could be like TT too.
AUTOADVERT
Silverfuel
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #268
USA
7/14/2005  12:30 PM
Posted by Rich:
Posted by Silverfuel:

I really dont think we should've taken a chance on this guy. He reminds me too much of TT. All the potential, no motivation. I am happy we didnt get him.

What other Cs would they be able to get with such a high ceiling? True, he is a boom/bust proposition, but James is a dog, and the Knicks are giving him a five year contract. He could be like TT too.
Dude, you are absolutely right. There is a very good chance JJ turns into a bum too. But Washington got a better offer for Kwame (Butler is better than Q) than what the Knicks could give them, so they took that offer. I dont like Kwame because he underachieves. The Knicks have rarely been able to motivate underachievers so I dont think Kwame would be very different. I think the potential thing is kinda scary cause we tend to forget that he doesnt play very hard.
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.
Allanfan20
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #542
USA
7/14/2005  12:39 PM
I've been saying all along NY wouldn't have been good for Kwame. But he would have been much better than James. However, like I said, this proves that the Knicks still don't trust the youngin's. Prove me otherwise. We should have just ridden with what we have, got another real good draft pick for next year and maybe we end up with Josh Boone or someone like that or heck, Tiago Splitter. It's always about the "WE MUCH MAKE THE PLAYOFFS AT ALL COSTS EVEN IF WE'RE MATHEMATICALLY OUT!!" and we always end up getting a low seed. We are by far one of the worst franchises in sports even though we are always mediocre.
“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
7/14/2005  12:44 PM
It's obvious Isiah's still trying to both win now (at least enough to make it to the playoffs) and get young, talented players to go deep in the playoffs in the long-term. That's been his plan from the beginning and he's consistently followed that plan, which means getting veterans who can help you now and young players who can help you in the long-term and maybe short-term as well. I don't see any contradiction. Am I thrilled about the James signing? No. I think he'll be a respectable role player. I wouldn't have signed him unless I was convinced that I could not get Stro or Kwame for the MLE.
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
7/14/2005  12:46 PM
imo, if Isiah wanted to get bigger & more physical, then signing James makes some sense...but then they should have kept KT as well, & traded Crawford for Q...are you all happy with the wishy washy execution of the so-called plan to get younger & more athletic?
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
TheloniusMonk
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #705
USA
7/14/2005  12:49 PM
It's funny how some people say they don't want James nor Kwame and then when we get James it's like "WE SHOULD OF GOT KWAME!" Oh boy, here we go again.

We had no center on our roster period. Not that could play for any extended period of time. That's a fact

LASTLY, WHEN WILL PEOPLE REALIZE THAT THE OWNER OF THE KNICKS WANT THEM TO MAKE THE PLAYOFFS NO MATTER WHAT? WHEN WILL THIS GET THROUGH PEOPLE'S THICK SKULLS? ISAIH THOMAS HAS BROUGHT IN AS MANY YOUNG PLAYERS AS HE POSSIBILY COULD UNDER THESE REGULATIONS.

It's really not that hard to understand why we got about 6 or 7 players who are under 25 but then we get players who have playoffs experience as veterans. It's truly not rocket science. You may not like it, but it makes perfect sense if Dolan is the prez.
'You can catch me in Hollis at the hero shop!' -Tony Yayo
Bonn1997
USA
7/14/2005  12:54 PM
if Isiah wanted to get bigger & more physical, then signing James makes some sense...but then they should have kept KT as well, & traded Crawford for Q
What? Why would Suns consider paying $50 mil to Crawford who is inferior to Q, whom they would have owed $39 mil?
Caseloads
Member: #41
7/14/2005  12:55 PM
Posted by Allanfan20:

To me, this the Jerome James signing just adds to the cake. He is constantly saying that he wants young and athletic players, but he goes after old guys who just hinder the future.

Then, he said something close to "We got the big names making the big dollars, but they aren't having the big games anymore." So you're gonna sign a crappy name and give him big dollars instead?

What is the plan? What is his plan for the frontcourt? We need an absolute star frontcort player for now and the longrun not named Antoine Walker. What if Frye doesn't pan out? This is the way I see it. Isiah Thomas is being extremely careless right now.

I wasn't a big fan of signing Kwame to start, b/c I didn't think NY would be good for him, however, having him is looking mighty swell compared to Jerome.
The plan is to get someone, anyone, who is a center, to take the midlevel exception to help hold down the fort until Frye is ready. What, you think that we can get anyone else for Sign & Trade or the mid-level that is 7 feet tall? No.

James, at the midlevel exception even for 5 years, is a bargain. James is about as good as Nazr, for the same (or less) money, James is bigger, has a higher ceiling than Nazr, and equally as tradeable to a contender.

If San Antone gave up 2 first rounders (yes, the last picks in this years and next years terrible draft) for Nazr, imagine what we will get for James. Plus James will be the starting center for NY. Every year a playoff bound team will need a Center and we can always trade a 7 footer making 5 mil a year. Look at the other contracts loaf 7 footers have gotten this year and in the past. They were huge.

Please. Who would you have preferred we get? Stromile Swift? Then everyone would have complained that Stromile is only 6-9... we have a glut at PF already... stromile is not an intelligent player... yada yada.

IT locked up a TRUE center for the midlevel exception. The guy is not a super stud, but he's serviceable. For even 15-20 minutes a game, for the midlevel, he's fine. Better than Rasho Nesterovic I would say...
Bonn1997
USA
7/14/2005  12:55 PM
are you all happy with the wishy washy execution of the so-called plan to get younger & more athletic?
what's wishy washy about adding a combination of veterans and young players? I could live with 4 nice young players and one veteran added every offseason. We don't have to have 15 players under 22 on the team just to meet the goal of getting younger and more athletic.
TMS
USA
7/14/2005  12:57 PM
Posted by Bonn1997:
if Isiah wanted to get bigger & more physical, then signing James makes some sense...but then they should have kept KT as well, & traded Crawford for Q
What? Why would Suns consider paying $50 mil to Crawford who is inferior to Q, whom they would have owed $39 mil?

whatever dude...the point is you make moves that follow along a line of thinking...being CONSISTENT...all the contradictory moves Isiah's made that don't follow along w/that vaunted plan of getting younger & more athletic is the frustrating part of it.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
Ira
Member: #91
7/14/2005  12:59 PM
I can see where people would think there's a contradiction. But what he's been doing all along is rebuilding the team while keeping enough veteran players around to keep us in contention for a playoff spot.
jaydh
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #96
7/14/2005  1:04 PM
Posted by Allanfan20:

I wasn't a big fan of signing Kwame to start, b/c I didn't think NY would be good for him, however, having him is looking mighty swell compared to Jerome.

maybe, but i dont think we really had a shot at kwame, and there is really no one else to get.
Bonn1997
USA
7/14/2005  1:26 PM
Posted by TMS:
Posted by Bonn1997:

whatever dude...the point is you make moves that follow along a line of thinking...being CONSISTENT...all the contradictory moves Isiah's made that don't follow along w/that vaunted plan of getting younger & more athletic is the frustrating part of it.
The James signing is a contradiction only if you assume getting younger and more athletic means that *every* player on the team has to be young and athletic and there can be no veteran role players
Ira
Member: #91
7/14/2005  1:31 PM
The James signing is a contradiction only if you assume getting younger and more athletic means that *every* player on the team has to be young and athletic and there can be no veteran role players

Exactly right!
TMS
USA
7/14/2005  1:34 PM
JYD = veteran role player who fits into the style of play Isiah is looking to achieve

Jerome James, Malik Rose, Mo Taylor, Vin Baker, KT (signed to an extension) = veteran role players who do not fit into the style of play Isiah is looking to achieve

i wonder why i feel that Isiah's been inconsistent in his plan.
jaydh
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #96
7/14/2005  1:35 PM
Posted by Ira:

Exactly right!

what, you want to be the baby bulls and lose for the next 5 yrs? you need some players with experience on your team.
diderotn
Member: #650
USA
7/14/2005  1:38 PM
to those of you who don't understand the idea behind the James signing, let me try to explain it to you all.

Look, close your eyes and imagine James, Frye, and either JYD or Rose on the court together, with James at Center, Frye PF, AND JYD or Rose as SF. In a good defensive scheme, once the ball is thrown to the big a big man like Shaq or Duncan, you can have James behind guarding the Center with both JYD and Frye swooming to crowd the shooting and passing lanes which will cause a lot of TOs. With the speed of our guards and JYD and Fryes as the runners that they are, they can run the lanes and produce a lot of points in the fast brake. Defensively it is a hell of a good move....Both James and Frye are known to be shot blockers, so look for teams to be very timid when it comes to penetrate and get in the paint. All three guys (JYD, Frye, and James) are long enough to cover their sector and provide help defense.

If TT was a better defender as our starting SF, we could have fully used the help defense strategy, but he is not. That is why it will be best to use Ariza or JYD in that role. TT doesn't think defense,,,,he is an offensive player....

[Edited by - diderotn on 07/14/2005 13:39:25]

[Edited by - diderotn on 07/14/2005 13:43:41]
The true Knickabocker..........
Bonn1997
USA
7/14/2005  1:43 PM
Posted by TMS:

JYD = veteran role player who fits into the style of play Isiah is looking to achieve

Jerome James, Malik Rose, Mo Taylor, Vin Baker, KT (signed to an extension) = veteran role players who do not fit into the style of play Isiah is looking to achieve

I assume Malik Rose was obtained just to get 2 draft picks, not because he was actually a part of the plan and Baker was a part of the Crawford deal implicitly. So you can cross those two off the list. Kt's extension allowed us to get Nate and Q. I don't think Isiah ever intended to keep Kurt for the length of his contract. I think he extended him so that he could find the right time to trade him for young and athletic players like Q and Nate. The Mo Taylor is the one move that apparently doesn't fit with the plan. I don't expect a GM to be perfect, and I think that trade was a mistake. Jerome James can at least be a nice role player at C for 20 mpg. I don't see why that doesn't fit in with Isiah's plan.
NYKBocker
Alba Posts: 474
Member: #377
USA
7/14/2005  1:44 PM
Posted by TMS:

You need to take Rose off that list. He is undersized but he can run.
simrud
Member: #474
USA
7/14/2005  1:46 PM
People who come back with an argument that rebuilding makes you loose for 5 years, wake up!

HE ALREADY LOST FOR 3 STRAIGHT YEARS!

If we rebuilt like any team should, we would have had only 2 years or so left of sucking at this point, instead of infinitiy!
A glimmer of hope maybe?!?
Isiah is a walking contradiction

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy