[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

For all the Stro fans....
Author Thread
TheloniusMonk
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #705
USA
7/14/2005  3:41 AM
He's still a possibility. Unfortunately, so is Walker.

http://www.nypost.com/sports/knicks/50146.htm
'You can catch me in Hollis at the hero shop!' -Tony Yayo
AUTOADVERT
TheloniusMonk
USA
7/14/2005  3:43 AM

KNICKS FORGE JAMES BOND

By MARC BERMAN
------------------------------------------------------------------------

July 14, 2005 -- The Knicks did not solidify their coaching position yesterday, but they did land their behemoth starting center, agreeing to terms with Seattle's 7-1, 275-pounder Jerome James, according to sources.

His agent, Marc Fleisher, said James will sign a five-year, $29 million deal for the full mid-level exception ($5M annually).

There is a tiny chance the Sonics and Knicks can work out a sign-and-trade that would give James a bigger payday, but that seems very remote, a league source said. Fleisher alerted the Sonics to James' decision yesterday and the clubs may talk.

Knicks president Isiah Thomas and director of player personnel Brendan Suhr had dinner with James Tuesday night in Manhattan to seal the deal.

Outside the restaurant, a source said, a jubilant James started introducing himself to some patrons, saying, "Hi. I'm Jerome James, the Knicks new starting center."

James' signing can't become official until the new collective bargaining agreement is drafted. That is tentatively scheduled for July 22, but still could be pushed back, a source said.

The Knicks do not have strong motivation to do a sign-and-trade with Seattle and give up an asset. There's no reason to keep the mid-level available because they don't feel power forwards Stromile Swift or Antoine Walker would accept it.

Thomas is working on sign-and-trades with Memphis and Boston, respectively, with Michael Sweetney considered his most attractive pawn. Thomas still wants to upgrade the power forward position with more length.

But Thomas' main goal entering free agency was to sign a big shot-blocking defensive center and James was high on his list.

During the summer league, Thomas said he was interested in a center with "girth" and that's surely James. His weight was a big issue early in his career, but he gives the Knicks the defensive paint presence they lack.

Thomas' motivation must have grown after watching first-round pick, 6-11 center Channing Frye, struggle defensively during summer league play in Las Vegas, burdened by foul trouble in almost every game.

"We took a look around the league and saw the Knicks had no true center after trading Nazr [Mohammed] and Kurt Thomas," Fleisher said. "With [Shaquille O'Neal] in the East, he likes the challenge of going back there."

Scott Layden's Knicks pursued James heavily three years ago, but he re-signed with Seattle. He was the Sonics starting center, averaging just 16.6 minutes, collecting 4.9 points, 3.0 rebounds and 1.39 blocks per game. He improved in the playoffs, averaging 12.5 points in 26.8 minutes.

"Seattle played small ball," Fleisher said. "All he did was set picks for guards."

The Knicks want to run, too, and that's not James' style. However, he'll take up space in the middle and block shots. The Knicks ranked last in blocked shots last season.

"The thing with James," one player personnel director said, "he plays hard in his contract year, [that's] when you see the little intangibles.
diderotn
Member: #650
USA
7/14/2005  7:00 AM
What can Walker offer us? He is a decent baller, with good handling skills, rebounding and scoring abilities. If he can provide the same production that he did in Dallas, he would be a good addition. However, as many PFs as we already have, why would we even consider bringing in another one? Is Isiah thinking about moving: Malik, Sweetney, JYD, Mo T? In my opinion, it would be nice to move at least 3 of those players mentioned above. Buttler, Lee and Walker would be our PFs, while James and Frye could share the Center spot.

[Edited by - diderotn on 07/14/2005 08:20:17]
The true Knickabocker..........
bobs3304
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #948
7/14/2005  8:01 AM
What can Walker offer?

Playoff experience, veteran leadership, versatility, savvy.

That said, I'd rather have a more defensive-oriented PF that can bang in the paint and who doesn't need the ball to be effective.
DLee is the best thing to happen to NY in Isiah's 4 year tenure. And that alone, though a positive on the radar, is sad as hell.
Silverfuel
Member: #268
USA
7/14/2005  8:30 AM
Hmm, we need a real center. We also need a real PF.
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.
MaTT4281
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #538
USA
7/14/2005  8:54 AM
Stromile is one of my favorite players in the league, behind only Artest and our own Trevor Ariza (give Nate time, he'll get there ). If we can bring him to the apple, I will be ecstatic about this offseason even if it's the last move we make.
diderotn
USA
7/14/2005  9:09 AM
I would love to have Swift also, but where will he get his minutes from????
Posted by MaTT4281:

Stromile is one of my favorite players in the league, behind only Artest and our own Trevor Ariza (give Nate time, he'll get there ). If we can bring him to the apple, I will be ecstatic about this offseason even if it's the last move we make.
MaTT4281
USA
7/14/2005  9:15 AM
Posted by diderotn:

Same place Sweetney would get his minutes, only difference is Stromile can backup C as well.
diderotn
USA
7/14/2005  9:17 AM
Dude please!!!! don't even start with Stro playing Center...that would be a rediculous idea.

Posted by MaTT4281:
Posted by diderotn:

Same place Sweetney would get his minutes, only difference is Stromile can backup C as well.
oohah
Member: #887
7/14/2005  9:49 AM
He's still a possibility. Unfortunately, so is Walker.

Thelonius, don't let these guys sway you. Walker is a very good player, and I don't see a better one available to us.

Jerome James looked good in the payoffs and had a decent season, if we truly signed him, lets hope he doesn't turn out to be another Chris Childs.
What can Walker offer us? He is a decent baller, with good handling skills, rebounding and scoring abilities. If he can provide the same production that he did in Dallas, he would be a good addition.

AW had the lowest production of his career with Dallas. That team was loaded and the rotation was set when he got there...he would be our second best player.
However, as many PFs as we already have, why would we even consider bringing in another one?

Because ALL the power forwards we have are role players.
Is Isiah thinking about moving: Malik, Sweetney, JYD, Mo T? In my opinion, it would be nice to move at least 3 of those players mentioned above. Buttler, Lee and Walker would be our PFs, while James and Frye could share the Center spot.

I hope he moves at least two of those guys, hopefully Malik Rose and Maurice Taylor.

Have you seen Butler play yet? Do you really want him to be part of the regular rotation? I dont think he is ready to play regularly for any NBA team. Right now he is a garbage time, injured reserve type player at best.
That said, I'd rather have a more defensive-oriented PF that can bang in the paint and who doesn't need the ball to be effective.

Do we have a better option than Walker? It would be nice to have a power forward like you described, but I don't see any available to us that can log starter type minutes on a winning team.
Hmm, we need a real center. We also need a real PF.

Well, if Jerome James is really signed we have a legit center at least, though he is still unproven in my eyes.

Stromile is an exciting dunker and transition player, and I really think that is what most people are reacting to.

There is another good reasons to get Swift here: JYD will no longer be the ugliest Knick and Marbury will be Billy Dee Williams by comparison.

We could actually have a pretty good frontline if we manage to get Walker and Swift (And keeping Sweetney would be the icing!) But that would screw our young players to a certain degree.

oohah

Good luck Mike D'Antoni, 'cause you ain't never seen nothing like this before!
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
7/14/2005  10:00 AM
Stro would be a better fit on the Nets. Kidd can make him a star!

Walker is a chucker, and I don't see him as a pf as much as a sf.

The MLE is gone, so its sign and trade. If larry is here, I can see it, otherwise build for a future.
oohah
7/14/2005  10:11 AM
Stro would be a better fit on the Nets. Kidd can make him a star!

That is true. I don't know about a star, but he would be very good with New Jersey.
Walker is a chucker, and I don't see him as a pf as much as a sf.

I really don't see him as the chucker everyone else does. If he is a SF he is doing a great job rebounding. (9 average for his career.)
The MLE is gone, so its sign and trade. If larry is here, I can see it, otherwise build for a future.

Interesting position. IT is not done wheeling and dealing. he still has to get rid of Penny and/or TT. Is Danny Ainge crazy enough to take one or both of those guys off of our hands? I hope so!

oohah

Silverfuel
Member: #268
USA
7/14/2005  10:14 AM
oohah: you are really changing my mind about Walker. I did not like him for a long time but your posts are very convincing. I am sure I will want Walker on the Knicks. Good job man.

[Edited by - Silverfuel on 07/14/2005 10:14:19]
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.
bobs3304
Member: #948
7/14/2005  10:16 AM
Posted by Silverfuel:

oohah: you are really changing my mind about Walker. I did not like him for a long time but your posts are very convincing. I am sure I will want Walker on the Knicks. Good job man.

Walker would be a great addition except for the fact that he more often than not needs the ball to be effective. With Marbury, Nate, and Crawford all needing minutes at point, how can Walker fit in?
DLee is the best thing to happen to NY in Isiah's 4 year tenure. And that alone, though a positive on the radar, is sad as hell.
oohah
7/14/2005  10:28 AM

Holy Smoke!
Walker would be a great addition except for the fact that he more often than not needs the ball to be effective.

I am not sure how true that is either. I don't remember him playing with any good point guards before he was traded to Dallas. (He played with Chauncey Billups, but that was before Billups emerged. Let's blame Walker!) I think he can spot up nicely from long range and he is capable of making quick moves down low. (Yes, sometimes he pounds the air out of the ball.)
With Marbury, Nate, and Crawford all needing minutes at point, how can Walker fit in?

Why does Crawford need minutes at the point?

It's really up to the coach (And IT in this case.) to make it clear to AW that he does not need to be the team's primary ball handler. However, he is a very good ball handler and we shouldn't try to make him into Charles Oakley. (AW is a better player than Oakley.)

oohah

[Edited by - oohah on 07/14/2005 10:30:06]
MaTT4281
USA
7/14/2005  10:58 AM
Posted by diderotn:

Dude please!!!! don't even start with Stro playing Center...that would be a rediculous idea.

Okay, I didn't want to get pulled in to asking, but how exactly is it ridiculous? Because he's 6'9", like Kurt? Swift plays a much bigger game than that. He can play against C's fine and can block shots in the paint. As far as I'm concerned, he'd be our most productive player from that spot.
Dido, isn't your dream starting lineup with Frye at PF and James at C? Then who do you have at backup C? These two guys haven't convinced me that they can keep themselves in the game long enough to feel concerned about our center position. My only comment was that Swift could play some backup C when need be. He is a PF, but he does have that option.

I still want to avoid Walker at all costs. I really don't want another guy who will lounge around the perimeter and play nonexistant defense. I will say one thing for the guy, he's a triple double threat every single night: Points, rebounds, and turnovers.
oohah
7/14/2005  11:21 AM
Okay, I didn't want to get pulled in to asking, but how exactly is it ridiculous? Because he's 6'9", like Kurt? Swift plays a much bigger game than that. He can play against C's fine and can block shots in the paint. As far as I'm concerned, he'd be our most productive player from that spot.

If Swift is the only player we get he will be our most productive front line player. He does not play "bigger" than Kurt, he plays much "higher above the basket". So does Jason Richardson, but he is not a center either. Swift is only 230 pounds, he is not meaty. Asking him to play at the center except in a pinch would be a disservice to him and the team.
I still want to avoid Walker at all costs. I really don't want another guy who will lounge around the perimeter and play nonexistant defense. I will say one thing for the guy, he's a triple double threat every single night: Points, rebounds, and turnovers.

If your replacement for walker is Swift, the cost will be about 8-10 wins.

oohah

TheloniusMonk
USA
7/14/2005  12:15 PM
I'm not against get Walker, it's just that I'd rather Stro just because he can block shots, play above the rim and he's younger. I also know that Walker can post up which is important.
Caseloads
Member: #41
7/14/2005  12:18 PM
Posted by bobs3304:
Posted by Silverfuel:

Walker would be a great addition except for the fact that he more often than not needs the ball to be effective. With Marbury, Nate, and Crawford all needing minutes at point, how can Walker fit in?
i agree 100 percent
tomverve
Member: #878
7/14/2005  12:19 PM
Posted by oohah:

If your replacement for walker is Swift, the cost will be about 8-10 wins.

That is laughable. No matter what your qualitative impressions are, the stats say otherwise. I'm going with the stats on this one.
help treat disease with your spare computing power : http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/
For all the Stro fans....

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy