Yes
No
View Results

Author Thread
jaydh
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #96
7/14/2005  2:27 AM
i may not agree with the contract, but i think hes a good pickup for any center-deprived team.
AUTOADVERT
technomaster
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #426
USA
7/14/2005  2:30 AM
Well... he's a better player today than when the Knicks originally wanted to sign him a few years back. He'll be very useful. It's odd when you see players sign for matching dollars to teams that don't seem to have a clear game plan.

He could have gone to just about any contender for the MLE.
“That was two, two from the heart.” - John Starks
Ira
Member: #91
7/14/2005  3:52 AM
I don't like the contract, but it's not my money.
rain
Member: #353
USA
7/14/2005  4:09 AM
I watched Jerome here in Seattle. His physical skills are enormous. He's a true Big Man. His size alone, for 30 minutes a game, will eat up space , clog the lane, and he will blocks shots. His offensive game has come a long way, he has some post moves. His mid range jumper has good form, when he's feeling it he can score.

That's the good part. Here's the rest. You will be very frustrated by him. Some nights, he just doesn't play and disappears.

He's a good guy off the court.. He fit in well, with a good character team here. I wish we could do better, but I don't see the Knicks getting any-one else at this point. If he jibes with NY, we could be
getting a steal. If he's the "big snack" we're in for some hair pulling.

My personal fear is that he and Sweets go on buffet tours of NYC.

[Edited by - rain on 07/14/2005 04:11:14]
diderotn
Member: #650
USA
7/14/2005  6:54 AM
Look, James will be fine. Isiah has changed the team inside out...we have new trainers, doctors, and soon to have a new coach. Our players will not be out of shape anymore and most of all, they will be motivated from now on. Jamew is not accoustumed of playing in an environment like N.Y. he will have no choice, but to bring his A game every night. I am glad that we can finally say that we have a starting center now.
The true Knickabocker..........
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
7/14/2005  8:18 AM
I recall thinking thank goodness Layden did not pick this overgrown gazy man for th last few years, and this guy is now our center?

Sure he has potential, but he played for his new contract. His rebirth was so convienent! (Snit)

I realize we need a center, but this is just a stop gap for a despirate team to fill in unitl either Frye is prime time, or we draft again next year.

If Frye is not ready to step in soon, then why not draft Bynum?

Im not gonna get all down on this as its a small pick up, but no reason to get excited! Jerome James is our starting center!
VDesai
Alba Posts: 44
Member: #477
USA
7/14/2005  8:55 AM
Posted by rain:

I watched Jerome here in Seattle. His physical skills are enormous. He's a true Big Man. His size alone, for 30 minutes a game, will eat up space , clog the lane, and he will blocks shots. His offensive game has come a long way, he has some post moves. His mid range jumper has good form, when he's feeling it he can score.

[Edited by - rain on 07/14/2005 04:11:14]

But the problem is, will he even be able to play 30 mins? He averaged more than 10 fouls per 48 mins. I think he can be productive for the minutes he plays, but his minutes are going to be severely reduced by the fact that he can't even stay on the court...
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
7/14/2005  9:23 AM
we just signed Nazr Mohammed to a 5 year MLE contract...wonderful.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
Marv
Alba Posts: 69
Member: #315
7/14/2005  9:23 AM
Marv: do you like this signing, think its decent or hate it?
EDIT: err, there is a thread for this that I didnt remember about.
http://ultimateknicks.com/forum/topic.asp?t=10492

[Edited by - Silverfuel on 07/14/2005 09:13:39]

OK, here's what I posted ealier:

Well I've always felt that Jerome James sucks and I still feel that Jerome James sucks.
Having said that, I'm glad we signed him. Why? Because a James/Frye/Butler/Rose rotation at center can be enough for now until either Frye proves himself to be a true center or we pick up someone else. i also like Q and think it's absurd when anyone calls our guard situation a "glut." i also think k Brown sucks so i'm hardly crying over that.

i have one question for the $ men out there - does this signing impact our ability to re-sign Reezy? He's still my #1 man around here.

SO basically I feel that we really needed a functioning NBA 7-footer to round out what we're doing at center at the moment. THis signing gives us flexibility to try out Frye in a variety of roles. I'm glad it didn't cost us Q. I don't think there's ultimately much difference between James, Brown, Hunter, etc. I like Stro but he lacks size.

So I like the deal.

What about you, SIlver?
Silverfuel
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #268
USA
7/14/2005  9:30 AM
Posted by Marv:

SO basically I feel that we really needed a functioning NBA 7-footer to round out what we're doing at center at the moment. THis signing gives us flexibility to try out Frye in a variety of roles. I'm glad it didn't cost us Q. I don't think there's ultimately much difference between James, Brown, Hunter, etc. I like Stro but he lacks size.

So I like the deal.
Good post. I feel the exact same way. I am not a fan of JJ but he does give us some flexibility. He brings a little credibilty to our front line too. He is our first legitimate center since Ewing.
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
7/14/2005  9:34 AM
Posted by Silverfuel:
Posted by Marv:

So I like the deal.
Good post. I feel the exact same way. I am not a fan of JJ but he does give us some flexibility. He brings a little credibilty to our front line too. He is our first legitimate center since Ewing.

this guy is averaging 5 pts. & 3 rebounds over his career & he's 29 years old...how much more of a "legitimate center" is this guy over Chris freakin' Dudley for cripes sake! HORRIBLE SIGNING! absolutely HORRIBLE!
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
Killa4luv
Alba Posts: 51
Member: #261
USA
7/14/2005  9:39 AM
Posted by TMS:
Posted by Silverfuel:
Posted by Marv:

So I like the deal.

this guy is averaging 5 pts. & 3 rebounds over his career & he's 29 years old...how much more of a "legitimate center" is this guy over Chris freakin' Dudley for cripes sake! HORRIBLE SIGNING! absolutely HORRIBLE!
Chris Dudley was jsut there, couldn't shoot couldn't catch the ball and could grab a few rebounds. JJ actually can shoot, post up, and block shots. Whether he does that all the time is the question.
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
7/14/2005  9:47 AM
Posted by Killa4luv:
Posted by TMS:
Posted by Silverfuel:
Posted by Marv:

So I like the deal.

Chris Dudley was jsut there, couldn't shoot couldn't catch the ball and could grab a few rebounds. JJ actually can shoot, post up, and block shots. Whether he does that all the time is the question.

there's no question. we know he DOESN'T do it all the time. he's averaged 16 mins a game. not a good signing anyway you slice it. 2-3 years, AWESOME. 5 years at the expense of our MLE, AWFUL. i can't support this signing when teams in similar situations are taking better risks like the lakers.
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
7/14/2005  9:49 AM
Posted by djsunyc:
Posted by Killa4luv:
Posted by TMS:
Posted by Silverfuel:
Posted by Marv:

So I like the deal.

there's no question. we know he DOESN'T do it all the time. he's averaged 16 mins a game. not a good signing anyway you slice it. 2-3 years, AWESOME. 5 years at the expense of our MLE, AWFUL. i can't support this signing when teams in similar situations are taking better risks like the lakers.
Again, it's not the MLE. That's the Knicks' 2nd option. They're still trying to do a sign and trade. See other threads.
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
7/14/2005  9:57 AM
5 years, he will be 35! Yuccch!

MattSuspect
Member: #932
7/14/2005  10:08 AM
I think he was the best Zeke could get under the circumstances. So I approve of the signing.

I love this though:

Jerome James, on coach Nate McMillan's claim that he is selfish: "I don't have the first clue who he is talking about, because all I worry about is Jerome."
KNICKSdom
Alba Posts: 8
Member: #545
USA
7/14/2005  10:26 AM
Finally we get a real center. I like Jerome James as a servicable center who can defend the post, shotblock, rebound and post up. He is by no means my first choice (I wanted Kwame) but he is gonna fit right in the middle just like my socks. Plus he is signed cheaper and shorter term than Dampier. How do you like them apples?
Knicks are happening and have a Unicorn.
BigAppleStar3
Member: #683
USA
7/14/2005  10:32 AM
I don't really like this move. Why spend $30M on a 16 mpg player? Jerome James is showing a lot of guts signing here. He knows that lazy bs won't fly here. I'm not expecting him to put up 17/9 like he did against Sacramento but he cannot put up 5/3 and 3.5 fouls in 16 mpg. I'd be content with 6-8/6-8/2 with solid post D and a couple of really hard fouls.
s3231
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #544
USA
7/14/2005  10:47 AM
Here's to hoping we get the first round of the playoffs version of Jerome
"This is a very cautious situation that we're in. You have to be conservative in terms of using your assets and using them wisely. We're building for the future." - Zeke (I guess not protecting a first round pick is being conservative)
VDesai
Alba Posts: 44
Member: #477
USA
7/14/2005  10:55 AM
Lets say that what we can expect is what James did in the 2nd round vs. Tim Duncan/Nazr. That was about 8.5 pts, 4.7 rebs, 1.5 blks in 22 mins per game. If that's what he gave us, would you guys be happy?
Jerome James Signing

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy