[ IMAGES: Images OFF turn on | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

According to the Times, we signed James
Author Thread
diderotn
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #650
USA
7/14/2005  9:07 AM
At least he is 7'1" and can finish a play. Do you remember all of the great passes that neither Kurt or Nazr couldn't complete last season? James can get you all of those points with Marburry's penetrations
The true Knickabocker..........
AUTOADVERT
Marv
Alba Posts: 69
Member: #315
7/14/2005  9:10 AM
Posted by diderotn:

At least he is 7'1" and can finish a play. Do you remember all of the great passes that neither Kurt or Nazr couldn't complete last season? James can get you all of those points with Marburry's penetrations

All right, don't get carried away.

The guy had Ridnour and Allen getting him plety of looks last year and he still sucked.

he ain't more than he is just cuz he's playing with Marbury.

The guy who's gonna convert Marbury's passes into points is Channing Frye.

[Edited by - Marv on 07/14/2005 09:11:34]
Silverfuel
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #268
USA
7/14/2005  9:12 AM
Posted by Marv:
Posted by diderotn:

The guy had Ridnour and Allen getting him plety of looks last year and he still sucked.

Marv: do you like this signing, think its decent or hate it?

EDIT: err, there is a thread for this that I didnt remember about.
http://ultimateknicks.com/forum/topic.asp?t=10492

[Edited by - Silverfuel on 07/14/2005 09:13:39]
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.
diderotn
USA
7/14/2005  9:16 AM
Look, if Marb can get both Frye and James to outdo their expected production, he will be named MVP next season. It is not hard, he just has to continue to do what he does best: penetrate and drop it in James soft hands...Penetrate and do that pick & roll thing with Frye...I am telling you guys, it will be a very exciting season..As long as we can find a coach to control the bonehead plays that Crawfford will try to make, we will be fine. Rule number one for next season, eliminate all street plays from the court. This aint the street...

Marv
Alba Posts: 69
Member: #315
7/14/2005  9:16 AM
Posted by Silverfuel:

Marv: do you like this signing, think its decent or hate it?

EDIT: err, there is a thread for this that I didnt remember about.
http://ultimateknicks.com/forum/topic.asp?t=10492

[Edited by - Silverfuel on 07/14/2005 09:13:39]

Cool. I'll move my response over to that thread.
MS
Member: #724
7/14/2005  9:20 AM
Zeke's trading and signings have really been less then stellar i really don't like this guy all that much i think naz was better and it would have made more sense than to hang trade for malik who is making close to 8 million dollars,

But Zeke's rational which is laughable explained we got Malik Rose how much do you think it would have cost to resign naz....Well combine the two and then add lee and we are up to nearly 14 million dollars.....

His judgement in big man is ****ing appaling, James, Baker, Mo, Rose, Frye (if he can stay in a game without fouling out)

He is another underachieving who quits when he gets a contract, if he plays like he did in the playoffs maybe its worth it, but this has weatherspoon written all over it
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
7/14/2005  9:25 AM
But Zeke's rational which is laughable explained we got Malik Rose how much do you think it would have cost to resign naz....Well combine the two and then add lee and we are up to nearly 14 million dollars
I don't think he cares about Dolan's money. He basically replaced Nazy and got 2 first round picks in the process
Pharzeone
Alba Posts: 14
Member: #871
7/14/2005  10:12 AM
Posted by simrud:

Great, Fatspoon part II is here.

IT is moving in on Layden's legacy and winning percentage.
Hey he could always sign KVH to LLE, I know that will make your day.
I don't like to play bad rookies , I like to play good rookies - Mike D'Antoni
Panos
Member: #520
7/14/2005  10:35 AM
Posted by BRIGGS:

like i said on another forum

i couldve dealt with james 2 years 10mm with team option for 3

IF he flopped, his contract isnt that bad to move

signing this guy for 6mm a year for 5 years is crazy i thought we were building an up tempo team?

if nazr wasnt good enough to be on a champinship team [wrong] then jerome james is? wouldnt nazr made more sense to keep if this was the case? less time on his contract adn much more mobile--a better player by any means

detroit doesnt have any 7-1 275 pound Cs they have tough players--is jerome james tough?

you cannot teach height and james was still worth 2 yrs 10mm, and Im ok with him comuing here, but the contract is just to much, i wouldve passed.

i thought we had a good draft a solid B, now looking A

but we have had a pss poor record dealing with nba vets under isiah hes biting on players nobody else wants for the price---

like goldberg said who's next?

With you 100%!!!
Ira
Member: #91
7/14/2005  10:45 AM
Speed and athleticism at center don't concern me. The Jordan/Bulls teams that won all of those titles were an uptempo team and had Cartwright, Perdue and Longley at center. None of them would win a foot race against Jerome James.

I don't like the length of the contract, but it may work out. James isn't great, but he'll contribute and we didn't have to use any tradeable pieces.
Panos
Member: #520
7/14/2005  10:48 AM
Posted by diderotn:

Comeon man, don't be so quick to be negative about a player who has yet to dawn the uniform. I don't like to prejudge anyone especially if he comes at an affordable price tag. $5 millions for a true Center is not expensive at all. As far as I am concerned, this dude can over exceed our expectation. He has learned a lot throughout the years, especially since Adelman said what he sait about him. He is on a mission, and given the performance that he had in the playoffs, he will try his best to dupplicate that productivity. We have good people in this organization that can help him, and most of all, MSG magic alone will incite this dude to bring it. Let's face it, the media will on him every night, the fans will be on him, and let's not forget that Zeke will also be on him. Zeke will show him tapes of Laimbeer and the rest of the bad boys in action.

Dude, come on man!!! Give us a break? We can't judge a player that's 29 years old? Do we have to wait until after a player retires before we can decide if we approved of their trade to the Knicks? Your posts really get tiresome.
diderotn
USA
7/14/2005  10:52 AM
Go on, bitch all you can, Isiah already did what he could. Now, lets wait and see what the players he brought in will do to better our ball club. One thing is for sure now, no one can say that we are small upfront..
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
7/14/2005  10:55 AM
Posted by Panos:
Posted by diderotn:

Comeon man, don't be so quick to be negative about a player who has yet to dawn the uniform. I don't like to prejudge anyone especially if he comes at an affordable price tag. $5 millions for a true Center is not expensive at all. As far as I am concerned, this dude can over exceed our expectation. He has learned a lot throughout the years, especially since Adelman said what he sait about him. He is on a mission, and given the performance that he had in the playoffs, he will try his best to dupplicate that productivity. We have good people in this organization that can help him, and most of all, MSG magic alone will incite this dude to bring it. Let's face it, the media will on him every night, the fans will be on him, and let's not forget that Zeke will also be on him. Zeke will show him tapes of Laimbeer and the rest of the bad boys in action.

Dude, come on man!!! Give us a break? We can't judge a player that's 29 years old? Do we have to wait until after a player retires before we can decide if we approved of their trade to the Knicks? Your posts really get tiresome.

diderotn's probably still waiting for TT to become the franchise player of his dreams.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
7/14/2005  11:00 AM
ok, now that i've calmed down a bit...

i don't HATE james as a player. and i think he can help us BUT i am 100% against the # of years we signed him for.

$6 mil for 2 or 3 years would've been A-OK by me. but giving him those extra 2 years really made no sense.

is it the market and zeke had to do this? or was this just a panic move by zeke and couldn't be patient or let this team grow instead of locking up a "stopgap" for 5 years?

i don't know anymore.

all i know is james is really a backup and shouldn't really be relied upon for any major contribution. frye should get slotted over to the PF now and start.
Killa4luv
Alba Posts: 51
Member: #261
USA
7/14/2005  11:02 AM
I just read this whole thread and I cannot believe how big of babies you guys are. Steven Hunter was not and is not a starting center, period. I like him and still like him, but lets be serious, Steven Hunter wasn't going to fill the center whole for us.

EVERYONE IS GONE!!!! STOP BYTCHING!!!!!

Who else could we have gotten? Dan, and Chris Anderson signed. Stro, Kwame, and others weren't coming for various reasons, and we couldn't start the season without a center, no friggin way we could do that. Jerome James got the MLE for christs sake and you guys are acting like he signed for 50 million.

Who is the MLE player we could have gotten? NO one. This team would have been a disaster without a center, and we now are about as good as the wizards last year.
VDesai
Alba Posts: 44
Member: #477
USA
7/14/2005  11:06 AM

is it the market and zeke had to do this? or was this just a panic move by zeke and couldn't be patient or let this team grow instead of locking up a "stopgap" for 5 years?

Let's be realistic. Foyle got over MLE dollars last year. Dampier got like 10 mil a year long term. Big Z is getting 10-11 mil for 5 years after the age of 30. There are whispers of Curry and Chandler getting near max. Kwame "the bust" Brown is yielding a young, 15.5 pt 6 reb SF and a decent backup PG in return.

Jerome James was gonna get the MLE from someone. The price point was already set on the guy, The only thing that was gonna sway James from one team to another was years. Unfortunately that is the price that had to be paid if you wanted to get him. Of course I would've rather gotten him short term, but realistically, what NBA player signs short term? Even scrubby guys get multiyear deals.
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
7/14/2005  11:07 AM
Posted by Killa4luv:

I just read this whole thread and I cannot believe how big of babies you guys are. Steven Hunter was not and is not a starting center, period. I like him and still like him, but lets be serious, Steven Hunter wasn't going to fill the center whole for us.

EVERYONE IS GONE!!!! STOP BYTCHING!!!!!

Who else could we have gotten? Dan, and Chris Anderson signed. Stro, Kwame, and others weren't coming for various reasons, and we couldn't start the season without a center, no friggin way we could do that. Jerome James got the MLE for christs sake and you guys are acting like he signed for 50 million.

Who is the MLE player we could have gotten? NO one. This team would have been a disaster without a center, and we now are about as good as the wizards last year.

that's the thing killa - nobody was really left for the MLE but just waiting and not getting anyone would've been just FINE. yup, we'd lose ALOT of games next year, but next year wasn't about winning anyway. it's a move to get us the #8-7 seed. with a ceiling at #6. next year, james is good to have. 2 years from now, james is good to have. but then 3 more years after that?

we're in a spot where we're thinking about moving marbury for some cap relief - it's being discussed. so if that happens, then james doesn't help us after 07/08.

it's VERY possible that ratliff will get cut by portland. let's say we wait and gobble him up for 2 years $8 mil.

anything's possible.

what if swift doesn't get anything more than the MLE? we don't know.

i'm hoping this is a sign and trade for malik/mo/jyd b/c that makes the move better.
TMS
USA
7/14/2005  11:11 AM
Posted by Killa4luv:

yay.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
TMS
USA
7/14/2005  11:13 AM
Posted by djsunyc:
that's the thing killa - nobody was really left for the MLE but just waiting and not getting anyone would've been just FINE. yup, we'd lose ALOT of games next year, but next year wasn't about winning anyway. it's a move to get us the #8-7 seed. with a ceiling at #6. next year, james is good to have. 2 years from now, james is good to have. but then 3 more years after that?

thanks dj...it's good to see someone else here has a sense of what's better for this franchise down the road...

yay, we get Jerome James for 5 years at $30 million...excuse me if i don't do freakin' backflips in my living room!
Killa4luv
Alba Posts: 51
Member: #261
USA
7/14/2005  11:53 AM
Posted by djsunyc:

Getting no one was not an option. You don't stand pat when you can add a piece for the MLE that makes your team decent and balances the roster. You don't plan to go to the lottery in what will be one of the leagues worst drafts in years, when you can build, and be good at the same time. James will have a 6 mil per contract in 3-4 years, he will still be 7-1 and will still be valuable as a backup for us ater Frye or our other big is starting or for someone else.

we're in a spot where we're thinking about moving marbury for some cap relief - it's being discussed. so if that happens, then james doesn't help us after 07/08.
There is no credible indication that anyone other than people on this board and Chad Ford are discussing about moving Marbury for cap space. From a purely economic standpoint trading Marbury for cap space would hurt the knicks more than it would help, and for that reason alone I would say its not being discussed. Didn't Isiah tell you personally that being under the cap was not a part of his plan?
it's VERY possible that ratliff will get cut by portland. let's say we wait and gobble him up for 2 years $8 mil.
I dont get it Su. You think Big Z is brittle but you want Ratliff as our answer at center? This is a guy who in a 10 year career has played over 70 games TWICE!!!!! He is nothing but a backup, you cannot rely on him to be on the floor for you, because he will get injured. We should pass on a decent big C for the MLE, for the hopes of getting a chronicly injured player who may be waived by his team, and may sign with us afterwards? I don't want my GM thinking like that. YOu have to make moves you know you can make to make the team better and speculate within reason. He signed James after all of the available MLE options were gone, and thats all I can expect from him. All of the sign and trade guys are still a possibility, but for the MLE there was absolutely nothing better for us, and we were in dire need. It was a practical, necassary move.
anything's possible.

what if swift doesn't get anything more than the MLE? we don't know.

i'm hoping this is a sign and trade for malik/mo/jyd b/c that makes the move better.
Swift is definitely not getting the MLE, and if he is it will be for his hometown team only.

[Edited by - killa4luv on 07/14/2005 11:54:49]
According to the Times, we signed James

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy