7/14/2005  12:42 AM
This sucks, I wanted Stromile :(
AUTOADVERT
MikeFromNY
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #870
7/14/2005  12:45 AM
Posted by Rich:

I would have rather traded Q for Kwame. I really didn't want to do that, but it would have been a better risk than wishing that James isn't the dog he has always been.

This doesn't stop the Knicks from doing something like that.

That's why I'm okay with it....it's just the MLE, and there aren't many other legit centers that can be had for just money this offseason.
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
7/14/2005  12:46 AM
the isiah yo-yo continues...

one GREAT draft day, followed by another questionable signing.

one good, one headscratcher...

and so goes the days of our lives...
TheloniusMonk
Member: #705
USA
7/14/2005  12:46 AM
Posted by mattchless:

This sucks, I wanted Stromile :(

We may still get the guy. Ya never know. It was being said that we'd have to work out a sign and trade anyway. Of all the players that have been mentioned, it has only been James and Hunter that would have been availible for the MLE. Stro, Walker and Kwame have been mentioned in trade scenarios. I still have my fingers crossed for Stro
'You can catch me in Hollis at the hero shop!' -Tony Yayo
diderotn
Member: #650
USA
7/14/2005  12:47 AM
Look, James is here mainly because Shaq is figured to be in Miami for the next 5 years. Worst comes worst, he can put all of his 6 fouls on Shaq, especially given the fact that Shaq is only a 40% free throw shooter. Zeke has a plan,,,,You don't need a super-star to win championships, all it takes is a good coach and a good blend of talents.

Frye may turn out to be a much better player than Sheed...We will see.

We already have a much better or similar player than Billups in Marburry, let's hope that Q will be able to provide the same production that Rip is given Detroit, with TT and Ariza sharing the 3. We are on the right track,,,,,let's bring in either Brown or Laimbeer to complete this puzzle..

[Edited by - diderotn on 07/14/2005 00:50:46]
The true Knickabocker..........
jaydh
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #96
7/14/2005  12:50 AM
Posted by metra:

Horrible move imo. James is a lazy ass mofo who got lucky in a couple of games. I really thought Isiah was gonna wheel and deal Penny and TT plus someone valuable for a solid C

such as who again?
tkf
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #87
7/14/2005  12:50 AM
Posted by TheloniusMonk:
second, Marbury is entering his 9th season. maybe I overshot it a little by saying he's "just past his prime", but I still believe he only has around 2-3 QUALITY years left.
[/quote]

Steve Nash comes to mind as well. In 2 years Steph will be the same age that Nash got his '04-'05 MVP trophy. And I don't see Nash on a decline. He's looking better than ever as a matter of fact.
[/quote]

I agree, the talk of marbury's possible decline is greatly exagerrated. Marbs takes great care of himself, he plays hard every game, and hasn't shown the signs of slowing down, he is just 28 won't be 29 until next year and like a lot of the great players is just entering his prime...
Anyone who sits around and waits for the lottery to better themselves, either in real life or in sports, Is a Loser............... TKF
Redsoxrule
Member: #897
7/14/2005  12:51 AM
Perhaps what Isiah has in mind is a similar saga as was Nazr. Let Aguirre work with him and improve him...use him in the meantime to bridge the gap to a better big at the Feb. trade deadline and move James for a draft pick at or near the conclusion of the season. This is a short term fix and not as iffy as it seems.
We will NEVER win with Marbury as our cameo guy.
djsunyc
7/14/2005  12:51 AM
Posted by diderotn:

Look, James is here mainly because Shaq is figured to be in Miami for the next 5 years. Worst comes worst, he can put all of his 6 fouls on Shaq, especially given the fact that Shaq is only a 40% free throw shooter. Zeke has a plan,,,,You don't need a super-star to win championships, all it takes is a good coach and a good blend of talents.

that's right dido - we now have to build based on the competition? come on man, let's not sugar coat this move. it's a total headscratcher which probably will bite us in the ass by february.

he's got girth, he's got size, but he got no heart and no brain. he's like a walking wizard of oz.

i'd rather have gotten diop for the LLE.
djsunyc
7/14/2005  12:52 AM
Posted by Redsoxrule:

Perhaps what Isiah has in mind is a similar saga as was Nazr. Let Aguirre work with him and improve him...use him in the meantime to bridge the gap to a better big at the Feb. trade deadline and move James for a draft pick at or near the conclusion of the season. This is a short term fix and not as iffy as it seems.

5 years on a 30 year old is TUFF to trade.

hell, it took us 3 years to unload kurt thomas who's 10x better.
diderotn
USA
7/14/2005  12:53 AM
Marb is a physical specimen, he will only get better with age. If he can simply improve his leadership skills, he would really be the man. Here is a suggestion for Marb....find a military base in N.Y, Fort Hamilton and hang around with the N.C.Os and copy their leadership traits....Leading a basketball team is no different than leading a unit or squad....
TheloniusMonk
Member: #705
USA
7/14/2005  12:54 AM
Posted by djsunyc:
Posted by diderotn:

And the first time Diop is in the game for 20 min. with 4 fouls, 1 defensive rebound and 0 points you'd rethink that. lol No one was higher on Diop than me. I have league pass and watched him everytime I could just oping that I would be right and he'd be solid. I was tired of seeing games where he scored 0 points until it became sickening.

that's right dido - we now have to build based on the competition? come on man, let's not sugar coat this move. it's a total headscratcher which probably will bite us in the ass by february.

he's got girth, he's got size, but he got no heart and no brain. he's like a walking wizard of oz.

'You can catch me in Hollis at the hero shop!' -Tony Yayo
diderotn
USA
7/14/2005  12:58 AM
DJ! you know that this happen every day around the league. We play Miami at least 4 times or more, so if we can split two games with them, it will add in our win columns. last year we were so clost, we just couldn't close them out. With James, we at least have someone that can lean his weight on Shaq and push him off a little. I am not saying that James is capable of guarding Shaq, but James is capable of giving us something that we have been missing dearly for a long time. Look, we will be fine...have a little faith.

Redsoxrule
Member: #897
7/14/2005  1:00 AM
Djs,
Yeah, I agree, bad contract for a 30 yo, but not if you consider that James, as our starting center, insures us lots of ping pong balls next July. Top four lottery pick in 2006!
Go Isiah Go.
BTW, I can't wait until the Yankees come to Beantown. This series will be special!
RSR!
We will NEVER win with Marbury as our cameo guy.
djsunyc
7/14/2005  1:02 AM
i know i'm being dramatic and going off the deep end but seriously, there's no sugar coating it. if you're expecting anything more than 7 and 6 from james, you'll be dissapointed. QUALITY #'s for a BACKUP. so the only way this makes sense is that there's a follow up for a REAL starting center and for frye to move over to the starting PF slot.
jaydh
Member: #96
7/14/2005  1:03 AM
Posted by djsunyc:

i know i'm being dramatic and going off the deep end but seriously, there's no sugar coating it. if you're expecting anything more than 7 and 6 from james, you'll be dissapointed. QUALITY #'s for a BACKUP. so the only way this makes sense is that there's a follow up for a REAL starting center and for frye to move over to the starting PF slot.

who else could we have gotten???????????
BRIGGS
Member: #303
7/14/2005  1:11 AM
like i said on another forum

i couldve dealt with james 2 years 10mm with team option for 3

IF he flopped, his contract isnt that bad to move

signing this guy for 6mm a year for 5 years is crazy i thought we were building an up tempo team?

if nazr wasnt good enough to be on a champinship team [wrong] then jerome james is? wouldnt nazr made more sense to keep if this was the case? less time on his contract adn much more mobile--a better player by any means

detroit doesnt have any 7-1 275 pound Cs they have tough players--is jerome james tough?

you cannot teach height and james was still worth 2 yrs 10mm, and Im ok with him comuing here, but the contract is just to much, i wouldve passed.

i thought we had a good draft a solid B, now looking A

but we have had a pss poor record dealing with nba vets under isiah hes biting on players nobody else wants for the price---

like goldberg said who's next?
RIP Crushalot😞
djsunyc
7/14/2005  1:11 AM
Posted by jaydh:
Posted by djsunyc:

who else could we have gotten???????????

NOBODY would've been better right now.
we could've waited and waited, even until the deadline and next summer.

we're not winning anything next year. i was perfectly fine letting sweets, frye, malik, mo, and butler rotate the 4/5 spot.

at least they would be developing.

it's not the WORST signing ever, but he goes completely against the grain of what we were building with young hungry motivated players (ariza, sweets, frye, nate, lee). this guy is not good for the lockeroom and he's lazy and he's ours for 5 years. it will be tough to move him.

this ALSO takes us out of any possibility at stephen hunter.
diderotn
USA
7/14/2005  1:12 AM
I am not going to be negative about this deal at all, because investing $25 million for 5 years for a Center is not much at all. Hell, we are paying a bunch of PFs twice that amount, guys who are not even contributing, why not the MLE on a true Center? At least we won't have to continue on with Bruno on the roster as a wannabe...

Remember that Houston, Penny and a couple of other players will be released or traded within the next few weeks. So, this deal is not bad at all given that it is only for the MLE.

Didn't we give close to that same amount to a player that we didn't even use last year???? how much was it that we payed that kid that we traded to Houston???? the cat that we got from Boston a couple of seasons ago, Vin Baker..

[Edited by - diderotn on 07/14/2005 01:16:00]
Rich
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #511
USA
7/14/2005  1:12 AM
Posted by MikeFromNY:
Posted by Rich:

I would have rather traded Q for Kwame. I really didn't want to do that, but it would have been a better risk than wishing that James isn't the dog he has always been.

This doesn't stop the Knicks from doing something like that.

That's why I'm okay with it....it's just the MLE, and there aren't many other legit centers that can be had for just money this offseason.

The article said Isiah turned it down.
According to the Times, we signed James

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy