[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

According to the Times, we signed James
Author Thread
PhilinLA
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #696
7/13/2005  11:47 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/07/14/sports/basketball/14knicks.html
http://amonthhoffundays.blogspot.com/ We got a ringer.
AUTOADVERT
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
7/13/2005  11:53 PM
Not how I wanted the MLE to be spent, but hopefully Isiah sees something in James like he saw in Nazy, who far exceeded everyone's expectations. I'm surprised he didn't save the MLE to try to get Kwame. Maybe he's convinced WAS would match an MLE offer and the only way to get Kwame is via trade.
PhilinLA
7/13/2005  11:54 PM
Zeke has always liked him...
MaTT4281
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #538
USA
7/13/2005  11:55 PM
I'm only hoping that this remains on the NY media credibility level. James is the one guy I didn't want.
Bonn1997
USA
7/13/2005  11:57 PM
Posted by MaTT4281:

I'm only hoping that this remains on the NY media credibility level. James is the one guy I didn't want.
I definitely would want him; just not for the MLE. I'd love to have him for the LLE, but I guess it was the MLE.
MattSuspect
Member: #932
7/13/2005  11:57 PM
Better then sweets for kwame or stro.
PhilinLA
7/13/2005  11:58 PM
I still want stro. But other things are surely coming.
Bonn1997
USA
7/13/2005  11:58 PM
Posted by MattSuspect:

Better then sweets for kwame or stro.
Kwame and Stro each have more upside than Sweetney and James combined
bobs3304
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #948
7/14/2005  12:00 AM
You realize what this means right........

Isiah must be confident that he can land Larry.

Which means Marbury is staying put.

Whey else would Zeke sign a 29 y/o Center unless he was getting ready to assemble an experienced, playoff-ready team?

I think we can all agree that one more move is in the cards, and it will probably involve any of our PF's, and/or Penny.

Believe it or not, I'm looking forward to the direction we're going in b/c the playoffs is now our goal. And it's been far too long since we've made any serious push into the postseason...
DLee is the best thing to happen to NY in Isiah's 4 year tenure. And that alone, though a positive on the radar, is sad as hell.
MaTT4281
USA
7/14/2005  12:03 AM
Can someone copy and paste the article so I can avoid the task of actually registering. Thanks in advance...I'm just too lazy.
jaydh
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #96
7/14/2005  12:03 AM
Posted by Bonn1997:

Not how I wanted the MLE to be spent, but hopefully Isiah sees something in James like he saw in Nazy, who far exceeded everyone's expectations. I'm surprised he didn't save the MLE to try to get Kwame. Maybe he's convinced WAS would match an MLE offer and the only way to get Kwame is via trade.

didnt Wash already give Kwame an offer sheet starting at 7mil?
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
7/14/2005  12:04 AM
Knicks Sign James From Sonics to Be Their Starting Center
By HOWARD BECK
Published: July 14, 2005

For 10 days last spring, Jerome James looked, played and preened like one of the premier big men of the N.B.A. The transformation was sudden and short-lived, but it was enough to earn James a starting job and a huge contract from the size-starved Knicks.

James, who played the last four seasons in Seattle, agreed yesterday to a five-year deal with the Knicks, according to his agent. Precise terms will not be set until the league completes its new labor deal. But it was expected that James will earn about $5 million in the first year of the contract, and $29 million over five years.

Before the contract is signed, James will be installed as the starting center, a job he will win by default. The Knicks traded their only true center, Nazr Mohammed, in February, and traded his replacement, Kurt Thomas, in June. The team drafted a center, Channing Frye, but he may not be ready for full-time work as a rookie.

So the void will be filled by James, a 7-foot-1 journeyman who turns 30 in November and has career averages of 4.9 points and 3.5 rebounds a game.

"It was clear once they moved Kurt Thomas and moved Nazr that they were in need of a real center, and that's what Jerome is," said James's agent, Marc Fleisher. "He's looking forward to the challenge."

James arrives as a mercurial player with a largely unspectacular résumé, but it is the final line of that résumé that has the Knicks intrigued. In the first round of the playoffs against Sacramento, James averaged 17.2 points and 9.4 rebounds. He crowed about his success, chiding the Kings for cutting him in 2000.

But in the next round, the talkative James went silent on the court again, averaging 8.5 points and 4.7 rebounds in a six-game loss to San Antonio.

James is generally regarded as an intelligent player with good physical tools and untapped potential. By his own admission, he has not always worked as hard as he should. He has also admitted to an overactive social life, but he was lauded by teammates for making strides in all areas last season.

James has never averaged more than 5.4 points in a season (2002-3). Last season was his first as a full-time starter, but he averaged just 16.6 minutes a game.

"This is a guy who didn't play in high school," Fleisher said. "So he really got a late start, and he was injured a lot the first couple years he was in the league. He's sort of just coming into his own. I think he feels that he can do a lot more than he was asked to do in Seattle."

The SuperSonics were a perimeter-oriented team, carried by the jump shooting of Ray Allen and Rashard Lewis. James was there to set screens, grab rebounds and play defense. He averaged 1.39 blocked shots, despite limited playing time. Given the chance, he could become an effective low-post scorer.

"He feels he showed in the playoffs he is capable of a lot more," Fleisher said.

Isiah Thomas, the Knicks' president, set out to add another 7-foot player. His wish list included Kwame Brown of Washington and Eddy Curry of Chicago. The agreement with James is an implicit admission that the Knicks no longer expect to land either one.

"They approached us on the first day of free agency and told us they had a lot of interest," Fleisher said. "I know there have been a lot of names, but I genuinely believe that's who they most wanted."

James drew interest from about a half-dozen teams and chose the Knicks over two other suitors, Fleisher said.

Thomas's search for frontcourt help will continue, but any additions will have to come via trades. Unless the Sonics agree to a sign-and-trade deal - and that is considered unlikely - the Knicks will spend their midlevel salary-cap exception on James. They will therefore be unable to offer significant contracts to any other free agents.

The Knicks moved to secure James when it became clear that most of their other targets were unavailable. They have all but given up on landing forward Stromile Swift, although it is still possible that Memphis could agree to a sign-and-trade deal.

Knicks officials declined comment, citing the league's moratorium on contracts and any public discussion of free agents. That moratorium will be lifted once the new labor deal is complete, but the league no longer expects it to happen by July 22. It could take a few days to a week beyond that.

In the meantime, the Knicks will wait for resolution of the Larry Brown saga - he could become their coach if he resigns or is fired by Detroit - and will continue scouring the market for frontcourt help.

The Knicks could have acquired Brown from the Wizards, but they were unwilling to trade guard Quentin Richardson. The Knicks have few other attractive assets, making it difficult to construct trades.

Seattle had moderate interest in retaining James, but not for $29 million. The Sonics have taken teenage centers in the last two drafts - Robert Swift in 2004 and Johan Petro last month - and have focused on signing their more critical free agents, Vladimir Radmanovic and Allen.
jaydh
7/14/2005  12:04 AM
Posted by bobs3304:

Whey else would Zeke sign a 29 y/o Center

maybe because we have no other center on the roster
diderotn
Member: #650
USA
7/14/2005  12:05 AM
that is a step in the right direction so far.

Frye, Lee, James...and more will come once we can find a home for TT/Penny/and Houston...

The true Knickabocker..........
PhilinLA
Posted by bobs3304:

You realize what this means right........

Isiah must be confident that he can land Larry.

Which means Marbury is staying put.

Whey else would Zeke sign a 29 y/o Center unless he was getting ready to assemble an experienced, playoff-ready team?

I think we can all agree that one more move is in the cards, and it will probably involve any of our PF's, and/or Penny.

Believe it or not, I'm looking forward to the direction we're going in b/c the playoffs is now our goal. And it's been far too long since we've made any serious push into the postseason...
we have a glut at PF and SG trades must be coming, I still think they'll try to put something together for Swift. I also agree that this indicates Brown will be coach.
MaTT4281
USA
Thanks dj.
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
7/14/2005  12:06 AM
well, the cookie monster is no longer just blue, but now ORANGE and BLUE.

oh boy...i guess zeke didn't get the NO THANKS CLUB memo.

5 years for a 30 year old.
hell man, we should've just signed dampier last season.
jaydh
7/14/2005  12:07 AM
Posted by djsunyc:

hell man, we should've just signed dampier last season.

we didnt have more than the MLE to offer to him
diderotn
Member: #650
USA
7/14/2005  12:08 AM
What is going on with the Knicks as of late??? Nothing but good news so far....What if we win the big game next season??? hey, the way things are going so far, I won't be surprised...

we have a glut at PF and SG trades must be coming, I still think they'll try to put something together for Swift. I also agree that this indicates Brown will be coach.
[/quote]
The true Knickabocker..........
bobs3304
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #948
7/14/2005  12:08 AM
Posted by jaydh:
Posted by bobs3304:

Whey else would Zeke sign a 29 y/o Center

maybe because we have no other center on the roster

that's a ludicrous statement.
DLee is the best thing to happen to NY in Isiah's 4 year tenure. And that alone, though a positive on the radar, is sad as hell.
According to the Times, we signed James

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy