[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Does this fact about Larry Brown bother you enough to not want him here?
Author Thread
tkf
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #87
7/13/2005  8:11 PM
The fact or the perception that larry Brown does not play young guys and rookies, I mean he let Darko rot on the bench for two years. I mean could you see Brown coaching the knicks and our starting 5 as follows:

Marbs
Q
TT
malik Rose
Jerome James(or old FA)
craw(6th man)

And on the bench rotting:
Frye
Butler
Lee
Nate
Ariza
Sweetney

I know I may be overreacting a bit, but that seems to bother me a bit, does anyone else have the same fear?
Anyone who sits around and waits for the lottery to better themselves, either in real life or in sports, Is a Loser............... TKF
AUTOADVERT
crzymdups
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #671
USA
7/13/2005  9:11 PM
You think Larry Brown would play Tim Thomas over David Lee? No way. Larry wants to play guys who know how to play - and honestly, I think that's part of the reason Isiah went out and drafted smart guys who played in good systems in college. Frye, Nate and Lee all KNOW how to play and are ready. I think maybe Butler would be the only guy not to play under Brown.

Darko doesn't play because he doesn't know defense. If you look at the Olympics, Wade played a lot of years in school and was mature and he played. Lebron, however physically mature he is, didn't play in school so Larry didn't feel comfortable. Melo, only one year.

I don't think it would be a problem. I actually think the Knicks draft was planned in some sense to make the Knicks roster MORE appealing to Larry Brown. Who would Brown want more: a lunchpail guy like Daivd Lee? or a pile of potential like Taft? Taft would never play under Brown. Lee will step right into the rotation.

Um, assuming Brown is fired....
¿ △ ?
jaydh
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #96
7/13/2005  9:23 PM
Posted by tkf:

The fact or the perception that larry Brown does not play young guys and rookies, I mean he let Darko rot on the bench for two years.

can you use another example of not playing young guys, because i doubt i would have played darko also.
Ray15
Member: #668
7/13/2005  9:43 PM
Look what Larry Brown did with Ty Prince. If he is our coach, he will play the guys that deserve to play. He preaches defense and I see him playing Ariza and Nate extended minutes. I could see him turning Marbury into just a better version of Billups -- before Larry Brown, Billups was considered a bust almost and defnitely wasn't known for defense. Look what Larry did for steph in the olympics.

If we can get Larry Brown, we'll be in great shape...
Defense and Toughness
crzymdups
USA
7/13/2005  9:45 PM
He came in and played Tayshun Prince. Tayshun only started 5 games and only played in 40 games for Carlyse in his rookie season. He started 80 and played in 82 games for Brown in Year 2 and won a championship.
¿ △ ?
crzymdups
USA
7/13/2005  9:46 PM
Posted by Ray15:

Look what Larry Brown did with Ty Prince. If he is our coach, he will play the guys that deserve to play. He preaches defense and I see him playing Ariza and Nate extended minutes. I could see him turning Marbury into just a better version of Billups -- before Larry Brown, Billups was considered a bust almost and defnitely wasn't known for defense. Look what Larry did for steph in the olympics.

If we can get Larry Brown, we'll be in great shape...

oh, ha, I was just typing the same thing. He plays guys who got in a few years at good colleges. He'll play our young guys. He'd be a great choice.
¿ △ ?
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
7/13/2005  10:03 PM
no - brown plays THE BEST players that go all out.
OldFan
Member: #446
7/13/2005  10:16 PM
They won a championship

and took San Antonio to Seven in the finals.

When the coach is getting a team to that level - it's hard to
critique him for not playing someone.
Posted by tkf:

The fact or the perception that larry Brown does not play young guys and rookies, I mean he let Darko rot on the bench for two years. I mean could you see Brown coaching the knicks and our starting 5 as follows:

Marbs
Q
TT
malik Rose
Jerome James(or old FA)
craw(6th man)

Frye
Butler
Lee
Nate
Ariza
Sweetney

I know I may be overreacting a bit, but that seems to bother me a bit, does anyone else have the same fear?
tkf
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #87
7/14/2005  12:09 AM
I really wasn't trying to critique a great coach like brown, I am just going by what the perception of Brown seems to be, but in the olympics and I know someone addressed this, he didn't play lebron a lot, nor okafor at much if any, and okafor seems to be larry brown type player, smart, hard worker and good defender. So when you look at that saying darko didn't deserve to be played except for any other reason that Brown just knows good players is a bit odd, don't you think so? I know about prince but Tayshaun had established a little rep before brown got there... I was just throwing that question out there, I know brown is a good teacher but given his age and the pressure of NY would he be forced into trying to win and sitting the young guys.... just curious.. we may never find out tho...
Anyone who sits around and waits for the lottery to better themselves, either in real life or in sports, Is a Loser............... TKF
Ira
Member: #91
7/14/2005  5:49 AM
If you want to know why Brown didn't play Darko, read the write-ups and box scores of Darko's performances in the summer league - where he did get to play. Darko's a bust. Brown has had a reputation for many years of teaching younger players and bringing them along.
rojasmas
Member: #639
7/14/2005  5:43 PM
Well, Brown traded for TT when he was drafted and loved him his rookie year in Philly where he played him over 20 minutes a game. He called him his only untouchable player in terms of trades including AI for awhile. By his 2nd year though he quickly fell out of love and started playing him less and less. Eventually he traded him to Milwaukee for Tyrone Hill. So TT is probably on the way out if Brown comes here. Brown was the same way with Larry Hughes. He loved him for awhile and then started to see his faults more and more.
With our young guys, I think Frye will have to play quite a bit. Even with Jerome James, Frye will probably play some center and PF. You can bet Sweetney will lose weight or sit the bench or be traded. He isn't going to come into camp like Tractor Traylor at 30 pounds overweight under Brown. I think he will use Nate as a sparkplug much like he used Lindsay Hunter in Detroit. I don't think David Lee will be part of the rotation if Brown gets the job though.
We could be the Dallas Mavs of the East.
roblackman
Member: #926
7/14/2005  5:52 PM
Could you imagine a scenario where Isiah assumes the coaching position and Larry moves in to help out with basketball operations? I think that is more ideal than having Larry coach...
And the reply is...a post that makes sense (still waiting)
bobs3304
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #948
7/14/2005  6:05 PM
Posted by roblackman:

Could you imagine a scenario where Isiah assumes the coaching position and Larry moves in to help out with basketball operations? I think that is more ideal than having Larry coach...

With all due respect, I think you're ****in nuts...
DLee is the best thing to happen to NY in Isiah's 4 year tenure. And that alone, though a positive on the radar, is sad as hell.
roblackman
Member: #926
7/14/2005  6:05 PM
At least you're honest.
And the reply is...a post that makes sense (still waiting)
BigAppleStar3
Member: #683
USA
7/14/2005  7:12 PM
Posted by tkf:

Marbs
Q
TT
malik Rose
Jerome James(or old FA)
craw(6th man)

Frye
Butler
Lee
Nate
Ariza
Sweetney

And you're confident Herb Williams will play the young guys?
Knicksfan
Alba Posts: 27
Member: #691
USA
7/14/2005  7:27 PM
Posted by crzymdups:

He came in and played Tayshun Prince. Tayshun only started 5 games and only played in 40 games for Carlyse in his rookie season. He started 80 and played in 82 games for Brown in Year 2 and won a championship.

I was going to post the same thing...
Knicks_Fan
simrud
Member: #474
USA
7/14/2005  9:23 PM
To be frank, I don't care if Larry Brown eats babies for lunch, he would still be my first choice.
A glimmer of hope maybe?!?
Does this fact about Larry Brown bother you enough to not want him here?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy