[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

JULY 13 - Knicks Versus Bulls - SL
Author Thread
bobs3304
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #948
7/13/2005  5:53 PM
http://draftexpress.com/viewarticle.php?a=1042

Link might not work yet b/c DraftExpress is constantly updating the page...

1st Half overview - Johnathan said that Frye started out very strong, and was the most dominant player on the court. Had some nice hooks, solid rebounds. Nate started off with a few turnovers, but settled down, and hit a few 3's (has been shooting a high %). Said Lee was moving around nicely, and has been playing extended minutes at SF. Is still hesitant to shoot, but is getting rebounds and hustle plays, as well as some nice passes. Ariza playing with alotta energy, with some tip-ins and drives to the hoop...

[Edited by - bobs3304 on 07/13/2005 17:54:39]
DLee is the best thing to happen to NY in Isiah's 4 year tenure. And that alone, though a positive on the radar, is sad as hell.
AUTOADVERT
VDesai
Alba Posts: 44
Member: #477
USA
7/13/2005  5:58 PM
Thanks for the link. Seems all positive for the Knicks. They have played really well this summer league. What are they, 4-1 now, with one very close loss?
LongIslandKnicksFan
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #496
USA
7/13/2005  6:01 PM
SL doesn't mean **** as you all know, but the Knicks are playing well. I mean, look at the competition they played against for the Bulls...Badsen is pretty good, but everyone else doesn't really make me say "Oh, thats a good player"...I wonder if ESPN puts highlights of the game. Was it taped or will it be on MSG tonight or something?
bobs3304
7/13/2005  6:01 PM
Lost to Portland, and haven't lost since...
DLee is the best thing to happen to NY in Isiah's 4 year tenure. And that alone, though a positive on the radar, is sad as hell.
DarkKnicks
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #882
Spain
7/13/2005  6:04 PM
Well, is seems everybody played well.
nyk4ever
Alba Posts: 12
Member: #848
USA
7/13/2005  6:05 PM
Thanks for the update Bobs, sounds like Channing, Nate, Lee, Ariza, and BUTLER all had nice games. Good to see Channing have a real solid game now. Can't wait to see all these guys in the regular season against real competition.

I found the following very interesting.

Jackie Butler: For all the Knicks fans who like this kid there’s good news, Jackie’s better than he was last year and has worked to improve his conditioning. Always soft with the touch around the basket, Jackie really showed some nice passing both as a high post man and down on the box. Butler’s range isn’t extensive and he must continue to work on sculpting his body and increasing the speed of his decision making but, as a 20 year old with no high level experience, he’s come a long way

[Edited by - nyk4ever on 07/13/2005 18:05:49]
"OMG - did we just go on a two-trade-wining-streak?" -SupremeCommander
bobs3304
7/13/2005  6:06 PM
Posted by LongIslandKnicksFan:

SL doesn't mean **** as you all know, but the Knicks are playing well. I mean, look at the competition they played against for the Bulls...Badsen is pretty good, but everyone else doesn't really make me say "Oh, thats a good player"...I wonder if ESPN puts highlights of the game. Was it taped or will it be on MSG tonight or something?

I believe it was on NBA TV.

djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
7/13/2005  6:49 PM
frye improving every game - good sign.

nate is still nate - good sign.

lee continue to impress - good sign.

jackie butler solid - good sign.

is this the best draft since ewing/wilkins? shaping up to be...
Caseloads
Member: #41
7/13/2005  6:52 PM
Posted by nyk4ever:

Thanks for the update Bobs, sounds like Channing, Nate, Lee, Ariza, and BUTLER all had nice games. Good to see Channing have a real solid game now. Can't wait to see all these guys in the regular season against real competition.

Jackie Butler: For all the Knicks fans who like this kid there’s good news, Jackie’s better than he was last year and has worked to improve his conditioning. Always soft with the touch around the basket, Jackie really showed some nice passing both as a high post man and down on the box. Butler’s range isn’t extensive and he must continue to work on sculpting his body and increasing the speed of his decision making but, as a 20 year old with no high level experience, he’s come a long way

young stud, makes sweets probably expendable - sucks we cant get kwame for sweets. i'd say give up Q for Kwame...
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
7/13/2005  6:54 PM
Posted by Caseloads:
Posted by nyk4ever:

young stud, makes sweets probably expendable - sucks we cant get kwame for sweets. i'd say give up Q for Kwame...

let's not get carried away here- sweets has a POLISHED offensive game, VERY POLISHED - it would take butler AT LEAST 3 years to get to sweets offensive level now.
nyk4ever
USA
7/13/2005  6:58 PM
Posted by djsunyc:

let's not get carried away here- sweets has a POLISHED offensive game, VERY POLISHED - it would take butler AT LEAST 3 years to get to sweets offensive level now.

I'm very interested to see where Jackie is at. I haven't seen any of the summer league action yet so I am just going on what I've read about Jackies continued improvement, but I agree with Case... this could very well start to make Sweets expendable and I would definately make that Q for Kwame trade but we'd have to wait a certain amount of days to trade Q (I think its 60 from the day we acquired him) If Isiah really likes what he sees from Jackie in the summer then I think Sweets could definately be on the move.

Can anyone else offer up their opinion on Jackies postgame so far this summer?

[Edited by - nyk4ever on 07/13/2005 18:58:46]
MaRbUrYiSaKnIcK
Member: #737
USA
7/13/2005  7:03 PM
HAHAHHAHAHA LOOK AT NETS RECORD....
they got a really crappy sl team
0-5...cleveland leads the standings 4-0.. if they win 2day theyll be perfect and be the only team thats beating the knicks, if they lose, both cleveland and knicks are at the top of the league, maybe if we vrs them we can determine the better sl team
Marbury is finally home at MSG!
bobs3304
7/13/2005  7:04 PM
If we offered Q for Kwame, it would ONLY be b/c Larry Brown was unattainable, and Isiah decided to go ahead with a brief rebuilding period. I wouldn't be surprised, hypothetically, if Marbury was traded at or around the same time.

But, for now, let's chill out with the "trade ideas." Once we know what Larry's fate is, we'll have a much better outlook on what Isiah will do...
bobs3304
7/13/2005  7:07 PM
Posted by nyk4ever:

Can anyone else offer up their opinion on Jackies postgame so far this summer?

[Edited by - nyk4ever on 07/13/2005 18:58:46]

I've only seen 2 of the SL games (MSG would rather show old Rangers games), and from how Jackie played in those, I would say he's still raw, but he showed that he was able to establish post position at will. When he wants to, he can be very aggressive on either block, and is good on the offensive glass. Has a nice touch, good rotation on his shot. But he needs to lose some of that baby fat, and add on some solid muscle. Also needs to work on his quickness in the open floor, and his conditioning as well. But he's headed in the right direction.

[Edited by - bobs3304 on 07/13/2005 19:08:41]
nyk4ever
USA
7/13/2005  7:16 PM
Posted by bobs3304:

I've only seen 2 of the SL games (MSG would rather show old Rangers games), and from how Jackie played in those, I would say he's still raw, but he showed that he was able to establish post position at will. When he wants to, he can be very aggressive on either block, and is good on the offensive glass. Has a nice touch, good rotation on his shot. But he needs to lose some of that baby fat, and add on some solid muscle. Also needs to work on his quickness in the open floor, and his conditioning as well. But he's headed in the right direction.

[Edited by - bobs3304 on 07/13/2005 19:08:41]

Hmmm, very interesting Bob. I think a guy like Jackie has a much better chance at working out in the NBA then some of the highschoolers because Jackie played in the NBDL and you would think that he's going to strive as hard as he can to succeed and not go back there... instead of some of these guys that get big pay days straight out of highschool. It sounds like Jackie worked very hard this offseason and honing his game and it seems like his work with Aguirre is paying off. Good to see and thanks for the report Bob.

[Edited by - nyk4ever on 07/13/2005 19:16:59]
Marv
Alba Posts: 69
Member: #315
7/13/2005  7:16 PM
Nice.

How about our man Channing:

Channing Frye- Channing started the game off very strongly for his club, may have been the best player. Frye started the game off with a couple nice post moves, a hook shot with contact and a leaning one-hander. Frye has looked comfortable fighting for positon inside against the Bulls frontcourt and has grabbed a few solid rebounds.

Frye continued to play well in the 2nd half and probably had his best all around game here in Vegas. He ran the floor hard time after time and presented himself well for the pass and easy finish, dunking the ball with authority every time, which is great to see out of him. He had a couple of very strong moves around the basket to finish with his trademark jump hook shot, looking very confident and smooth in the process. Really looked solid outworking his opponent for rebounds down low.

Nate/Arnold:

Nate Robinson-Robinson has started this game off a bit out of control, as his 3 turnovers will attest. Still, Robinson continues to show off consistency from long range, hitting his only 3 attempt of the game.

A little more of the same from Robinson in the third quarter, making one good move and then neutralizing it by making a bad one the next time down. It wasn’t a bad game for Nate here, just not as good as we’ve gotten used to seeing out of him in the amazing week he’s had here so far. An alley-oop pass to Trevor Ariza was probably his most exciting play of the game, a far cry from the walking highlight reel we saw in the previous four games here. Still, Nate displayed his excellent court vision on more than one occasion and has a great touch on the spectacular pass as well as the simple. There is a growing consensus around here that Robinson may have gone much lower than his skill set warranted.

And Lee/Hasselhoff:

David Lee-Lee has gotten extended minutes at the small forward position in each of the last two games and has looked comfortable doing so. Despite a hesitance to shoot from the outside, Lee has made effortless trips to the basket against his opponent thanks to his nice handle and strong lateral movement. When David hasn’t finished with power he’s shown a soft touch around the basket, even switching hands and twisting his body to put himself in a position to finish. Lee’s court vision is a huge plus for a player his size and his ability to come across the lane for rebounds make him a valuable asset.

Lee continued to work his butt off for every second he was on the floor in the 2nd half, being extremely active off the ball and trying to help out as much as he could on the defensive end as a SF, where he is clearly a liability. He proved the scouting report wrong by knocking down a 20 footer from the baseline, but then came back and missed two free throws in a row. Really showed a great sense of spacing and decision making in the open court, as did most of his unit.

bobs3304
7/13/2005  7:23 PM
Box Score

http://vegassummerleague.com/box_score.cfm?game=38

-----------------------------------------------

Game Recap

http://vegassummerleague.com/game_recap.cfm?game=38

"Cheyne Gadson hit an eight foot jump shot from the corner with 3.1 seconds left to give the New York Knicks a 79-77 win over the Chicago Bulls.

Bulls forward Jared Reiner tied the game at 77 with 10.3 seconds left on a three pointer. The Bulls outscored the Knicks 25-17 in the fourth to get back into the game. Chicago's full court press and aggressive defense caused 24 Knicks turnovers resulting in a 32-4 advantage in points off of turnovers.

Channing Frye led the Knicks in scoring with 14 points (6-7 FG) and seven rebounds. Steven Barber had 12 points (4-10 FG), while David Lee chipped in 10 points (4-4 FG).

The Knicks out rebounded the Bulls 49-34 and finished the game shooting 50 percent (31-62 FG).

Eddie Basden led the Bulls with 12 points (3-7 FG), while Ugonna Onyekwe (3-7 FG) and Mario Austin (3-8 FG) had 10 points a piece.

Chicago finished the shooting 36 percent (28-77 FG).

The Knicks ended the summer league with a 4-1 record, while the Bulls finish with a 3-2 record. "
nyk4ever
USA
7/13/2005  7:25 PM
Thanks for the Box, Bob. Does anyone know if Lamar Rice has any relation to Jerry Rice? I remember Jerry Rices nephew played bball for Miami not long ago, is this Lamar a relative as well?

Edited: Answered my own question, doesn't appear to have any relation to Jerry.

[Edited by - nyk4ever on 07/13/2005 19:59:59]
VDesai
Alba Posts: 44
Member: #477
USA
7/13/2005  7:57 PM
Nate barely shot this game. 8 Boards in 14 minutes by Butler. Frye with a very strong 14 and 7 on 6/7 shooting,
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
7/13/2005  7:59 PM
Good things will happen for Channing Frye and the Knicks IF he stays within a 12' parameter of the basket. The closer he gets, the better things will be. He will STRUGGLE if he decides to be a 20 foot jumpshooter--we dont need that--we have like 6 guys who can shoot, we need Channing to use his best assets--his touch and length right around the basket for high % attempts, and puts him in position to get rebounds.

I watched a good deal of Frye over the years. It's really this simple--he looks like Tim Duncan lite if he stays within the inside parameters of the court and he's focused OR he looks like an NBDL player. If the Knicks encourage him to stay close to the basket, and as he gets older he will learn all of the angles to play on the post, but make no mistake--he should be on the post or shooting pick N roll for 12-14 feet, no further.
We don't need or WANt him to emulate sheed-sheed FG% and rebounding have dropped off terribly since he decided to take his game outside.
We want Channing with 10-15 high % looks every game. If that happens he will easily be a 15-7 player on avg

He is still fouling heavy but hopefully they can work on the fundamentals--hands up, dont reach, dont try to block every shot, rather try to disrupt a shot, keep a wide base, move your feet.

Although he fouled heavy last game and this game, I knew there would be advantages playing through the fouls. He was able to be aggresive and now he just needs to find balance.

Id like to lock him in at the starting PF slot--I mean right into the fire from day 1--you have to do it and looking for 30 minutes at 4-5

That gives Sweetney 26 minutes at 4 Mo Taylor 26 minutes at 4-5 Malik Rose and JYD 16 minutes to split + FT minutes. % man rotation

I think Jackie Butler to the NBDL for the first half of the season, we should sign Jackie to a 2-3 year extension for minimal $ like 2 years option 3 for 500k per
RIP Crushalot😞
JULY 13 - Knicks Versus Bulls - SL

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy