[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Insider - 4/8
Author Thread
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
5/8/2002  9:18 AM
Could Tskitishvili be better than Nowitzki?
by Chad Ford

TREVISO, Italy -- On second thought, maybe Nickoloz Tskitishvili doesn't want to declare for the NBA draft this season.

Let's get this out the way right now. He can play.

But after spending the day in the beautiful town of Treviso, Italy, with Tskitishvili and his coach, former Nuggets skipper Mike D'Antoni, I can tell you he has no idea what he's getting into. The prospect of being shipped to the cold and dreary world of Cleveland should be downright scary.

"Do you understand you may be sent to Cleveland?" I ask him.

"I do not know Cleveland," he responds. Tskitishvili has never been to the U.S.

"Do you know Siberia?"

He nods his head, looking a bit befuddled.

No idea.

There is no NBA town like Treviso, with is sleepy markets, beautiful canals, children playing in the streets and passionate "basket" fans.

Tskitishvili isn't your average 19-year-old NBA draft prospect. He doesn't have any handlers yet, doesn't drive an Escalade, doesn't have an expensive shoe contract, and (here's the kicker) has no noticeable holes in his game fundamentally.

None.

The comparisons to Dirk Nowitzki are scary. Though he's not as polished in the low block as the Deutsch Marksman, he's quicker and more athletic.

He stands 7 feet in bare feet. He can handle, shoot from anywhere on the court and jump out of the gym. I know. I stood there in Treviso and watched him sink jumper after jumper after jumper. I saw his crossover, his fadeaway, his incredible leaping ability . . . and a certain grace that you rarely see with a big man.

When he isn't practicing jumpers he's pirouetting at mid court to the delight of his teammates.

Pirouetting.

But perhaps his greatest asset is that he carries the team luggage when he goes on road trips. He's spent most of his basketball career playing against professionals, players who are stronger and more mature. He thinks pass first, refusing to play the "me first one-on-one game" that scourges the NBA like the plague.

He does not think he's the answer. Are you listening Larry Brown?

Like I said, he's not your typical 19 year old in the NBA draft.

Tskitishvili, until the age of 15, was a classically trained ballet dancer in Georgia (the country in Eastern Europe). Apparently, he was a pretty good one until he began to grow so rapidly that his instructor could no longer find a partner for him. That explains the pirouettes.

So he started concentrating on basketball. It's a good thing. Coach D'Antoni estimates that over the past few months, representatives from all 29 NBA teams have made the pilgrimage to Treviso to watch him practice.

It's really the only way anyone will see him play. Italian league rules allow for only 10-man rosters. Tskitishvili didn't join the team until midway through the season. His age, chemistry and the fact that Benetton was in the midst of a title race, meant he had lots of time to sit and watch.

But let me state this again. He can play.

"Fundamentally, he's all the way there," coach D'Antoni told Insider. "He's very fluid for a big man. And he's just a great kid. He's very polite and respectful. He works very, very hard. What he needs in more experience and an NBA weight training program. He just needs to get stronger so he can post up."

Tskitishvili's teammate, former Suns guard Charlie Bell, practices with him every day.

"No doubt about it, he has what it takes," Bell told Insider. "He's got the athleticism, the ability to jump out of the gym, and the shooting touch. The NBA drafts on potential and he's got a lot of it."

There has been talk that the lithe 7-footer may be a two guard in the pros with his long-range shooting, ball handling and ability to get to the basket. But D'Antonio thinks eventually he'll play down low once he puts on the weight.

"He's going to be a devastating four in a few years."

How can NBA teams pass on that? D'Antoni told me that Benetton won't stop him from going to the NBA this season if that's what Tskitishvili wants. In other words, it seems like the one potential roadblock, his availability, is now gone.

One league executive told Insider that after seeing him play last week in Treviso, Tskitishvili could be a top-five pick in the draft.

"On potential alone, I like him better than Kwame Brown. He's already more advanced fundamentally and I think he has the athleticism to compete with the elite players in the NBA. It's always scary to make a leap like this on limited information, but he's further along than any of the high school kids that have been drafted and his upside is still huge. I think, in five years, he could be better than Nowitzki because of his athleticism. Seven-footers like this just don't come along very often. Someone will take the chance."

At the very least, Tskitishvili won't slip past No. 13, where the Bucks pick. GM Ernie Grunfeld spent three days in Treviso before the Euroleague Final Four and one source told Insider that he was sold.

There's a good chance, he'll be long gone by then. The word is that the Nuggets and Rockets both came away impressed.

For Tskitishvili's sake, lets hope Cleveland isn't thinking the same thing . . .

(Note: Check back on Monday for my full feature on Tskitishvili, D'Antoni and the impact of Europeans in the draft when ESPN.com launches it full NBA draft package).
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
AUTOADVERT
knicksbabyyeah
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #100
Netherlands
5/8/2002  10:31 AM
Skeeta is sweet, I wish it was may 19th already. This draft looks promising doesn't it?

If Ming and Jwill go 1 and 2 that leaves

Woods, Wilcox, Wagner, Skeeta/Nikoloz, Drew and Nene at our disposal..

like I said

SWEET

Caseloads
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #41
5/8/2002  12:42 PM
Posted by knicksbabyyeah:

Skeeta is sweet, I wish it was may 19th already. This draft looks promising doesn't it?

If Ming and Jwill go 1 and 2 that leaves

Woods, Wilcox, Wagner, Skeeta/Nikoloz, Drew and Nene at our disposal..

like I said

SWEET

We can't really mess this up, can we?
Let's hope we get 3 or 7th pick, not 1 or 2, because that would mean we wouldn't get the #1 next year with LeBron coming out...
falcindor
Member: #42
USA
5/8/2002  1:05 PM
Believe me we wont be in the lottery next year.
Fritz Alcindor Jr. *FUTURE KNICK GM* falcindor@hotmail.com
john44
Member: #115
USA
5/8/2002  1:38 PM
Why would you be looking foward to the 2003 draft already. Who knows maybe our pick this year can reall contribute and we make a good trade and sign someone descent and we can be right back on top of the East. I dont know about anyone else but its killing me not to see the knicks in the playoffs. I need to see the knicks winning again and to see the garden pumped.
Matt
Caseloads
5/8/2002  2:24 PM
Posted by john44:

Why would you be looking foward to the 2003 draft already. Who knows maybe our pick this year can reall contribute and we make a good trade and sign someone descent and we can be right back on top of the East. I dont know about anyone else but its killing me not to see the knicks in the playoffs. I need to see the knicks winning again and to see the garden pumped.
It's killing me that the Knicks aren't in the Playoffs too, but a first round loss is worthless. I'd rather be a lotto team and get REAL talent for the future from the draft than be a 1st or 2nd round flame out in the playoffs. That's worthless too. And next year LeBron comes out. Don't you want LeBron? I want that guy. I hope he pulls a Kobe and tells the League that he'll play no where other than NY and that they have to trade him to us...
Andrew
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #1
USA
5/8/2002  2:59 PM
I'm in agreement with Caseloads. Realistically the Knicks will not contend for the championship by just adding the 7th pick in the draft. The salary cap rules for signing and trading players really have put the emphasis on building teams through the draft...and it will take a couple of drafts to do that. I'm would rather see the Knicks trade away one or more of Spree, Camby, and Houston and start a major rebuilding project through the draft than have another first or second round playoff loss.
PURE KNICKS LOVE
Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
5/8/2002  3:18 PM
I like how they said he would likely play the post when he puts on the proper weight. If he was going to be a natural small forward, i probably wouldn't want him, but now that we see he could potentially be a solid power forward or even center and is a legit 7 feet, i wouldn't mind taking him at all. The best thing about the deal is Cleveland and Houston(likely the two picks in front of us) like him a lot too. That means someone like Dejuan Wagner or Chris Wilcox could easily slip to the 7th spot. I think the top 7 picks have really established themselves now. Yao Ming, Jason Williams, Drew Gooden, Qyntel Woods, Dejuan Wagner, Chris Wilcox, and Nickoloz Tskitishvili are definetly a promising group.
Caseloads
5/8/2002  3:28 PM
Posted by Knixkik:

I like how they said he would likely play the post when he puts on the proper weight. If he was going to be a natural small forward, i probably wouldn't want him, but now that we see he could potentially be a solid power forward or even center and is a legit 7 feet, i wouldn't mind taking him at all. The best thing about the deal is Cleveland and Houston(likely the two picks in front of us) like him a lot too. That means someone like Dejuan Wagner or Chris Wilcox could easily slip to the 7th spot. I think the top 7 picks have really established themselves now. Yao Ming, Jason Williams, Drew Gooden, Qyntel Woods, Dejuan Wagner, Chris Wilcox, and Nickoloz Tskitishvili are definetly a promising group.
Maybyner "Nene" Hilario 6-10 230 PF (Brazil) 1982
And Caron Butler 6-7 235 SF UConn So. both sound like they'd be solid, but just below the top 7 picks...
Caseloads
5/8/2002  3:33 PM
Posted by Andrew:

I'm in agreement with Caseloads. Realistically the Knicks will not contend for the championship by just adding the 7th pick in the draft. The salary cap rules for signing and trading players really have put the emphasis on building teams through the draft...and it will take a couple of drafts to do that. I'm would rather see the Knicks trade away one or more of Spree, Camby, and Houston and start a major rebuilding project through the draft than have another first or second round playoff loss.
Thanks for the respect. When is the NEW MSG to be built and where?

Welcome to the Empire State, birthplace of Michael Jordan...Brooklyn!
"NYC - home of the 9/11, the place of the Lost Towers..."
BK Brawlers... Catch me at the Knicks games, in all my splendor...

We from NYC, you damn right!

There's a war going on outside, that no one's safe from, doesn't matter if you're DeJuan Wagner at 6 feet, or Chris Marcus at 7'1" - no one is gonna be safe from our NY team in 2 years, let's rebuilt the Knicks!
KEEPCAMBYNY
Member: #86
USA
5/8/2002  5:04 PM
Posted by Caseloads:
Posted by john44:

It's killing me that the Knicks aren't in the Playoffs too, but a first round loss is worthless. I'd rather be a lotto team and get REAL talent for the future from the draft than be a 1st or 2nd round flame out in the playoffs. That's worthless too. And next year LeBron comes out. Don't you want LeBron? I want that guy. I hope he pulls a Kobe and tells the League that he'll play no where other than NY and that they have to trade him to us...

Exactly the point I have been trying to make, I only want a championship, we were in the playoffs for 15 years, so making the playoffs don't impress me at all. What would you guys rather have, a team built to win a chapionship or a team built just to make the playoffs? I don't know about you guys, but I want a team that is built to win the championship, and I don't mind waiting as long as I see progress.
I bleed orange and blue for life.
BigSm00th
Member: #178
USA
5/8/2002  5:05 PM
DaJuan is gonna be the steal of the draft, Knicks are gonna get him baby. Whoo! My brother saw him play in HS in Jersey, said he's the real deal. Scored 100 in a game, can carry a team, he is it. And he's from Jersey, he'd fit in perfect w/ the new look Knicks.
#Knickstaps
VG
Member: #68
Australia
5/9/2002  12:33 AM
Damn, reading that article on Nickoloz Tskitishvili made me change my mind on him... I didn't he was that athletic. Nowitzki is easily a top 10 player today. I'd be happy to get that guy if he'll be as good as Nowitzki...
Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
5/9/2002  4:29 PM
Posted by VG:

Damn, reading that article on Nickoloz Tskitishvili made me change my mind on him... I didn't he was that athletic. Nowitzki is easily a top 10 player today. I'd be happy to get that guy if he'll be as good as Nowitzki...
Yeah thats about thew same way i feel about him now. I didn't think we needed him, but if he's there we should draft him.
Insider - 4/8

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy