Alpha1971 wrote:Nalod wrote:I have a long ass list of issues but the Sciatica attack in the middle of the night 22 months ago was something I'll never forget!
Two months of limping and calf pain with side effects from the drugs was a bad time during the Thanksgiving thru new years holidays. Felt like **** and could not think straight. Only way out is to keep moving, walking, massage, heat and time.
I got some friends who cycle to keep bad backs from acting up. Not my scene as tennis is my thing these days but I tried an electric pedal assist road bike and it was cool. Takes the sting out of hill climing and be an easier path to getting into cycle shape. Scary to be on the road with so many distracted drivers out there. But outside this time of year is relly nice and riding is cool.
Worse then distracted drivers is all the riders on scooters, and ride sharing bikes and people on motorcycles using the bike paths. I hope NYC cancels all those ride sharing contracts. Regular bikes and slow e bikes that travel at 15mph are fine , the rest should be illegal. Rant aside enjoy the pedal assist bikes but get a bike and take those hills ! Riding ain't a race but a journey. A very nice hybrid bike is probably best for the casual rider. I prefer my entry level hybrid bike for most rides. My speedier bike I usually ride slow for added safety to myself and others. It's just fun and away to squeeze execrice into your regular daily schedule. Ride your bike to the store, gym, Church, to work, to visit your pot dealer, dominatrix. A bike ride a day ( or walk, or Zumba class etc ) keeps the doctor away
Your body stores kinesthetic memories from bicycle rides
In my teens I would often bike 50-100 miles a day up and down rolling hills and country roads. I have lifelong embedded sense memories of moments on the bike that I'd never have driving a car or even walking a trail.
It could be the sensation of my frigid hands clutching metal while flying down a mountain at dawn enveloped in fog or the moment my wheel slipped off the road at 40 MPH and I barely navigated my way out of the rut without sustaining a brutal crash. I can feel those moments just by remembering them now.