[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Around the NBA 2019-20
Author Thread
TPercy
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #5748

10/4/2020  10:31 PM
martin wrote:

We actually dodged a bullet to the head. This is effing crazy and would be getting way more publicity if it was in NY. I have never heard a more incoherent explanation.
The Future is Bright!
AUTOADVERT
Allanfan20
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #542
USA
10/5/2020  12:52 AM
TPercy wrote:
martin wrote:

We actually dodged a bullet to the head. This is effing crazy and would be getting way more publicity if it was in NY. I have never heard a more incoherent explanation.

No Kyrie, you serve the community second. You get paid millions upon millions of dollars to help win a championship. Yet somehow, your teams after Cleveland ALWAYS play better without you.

Disgraceful.

“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
Allanfan20
Member: #542
USA
10/5/2020  12:54 AM
Allanfan20 wrote:
TPercy wrote:
martin wrote:

No Kyrie, you serve the community second. You get paid millions upon millions of dollars to help win a championship. Yet somehow, your teams after Cleveland ALWAYS play better without you.

Disgraceful.

And somehow, KD looks just as stupid because he agrees with every word Kyrie says!!

“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
TPercy
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #5748

10/5/2020  8:06 AM
Allanfan20 wrote:
Allanfan20 wrote:
TPercy wrote:
martin wrote:

Disgraceful.

And somehow, KD looks just as stupid because he agrees with every word Kyrie says!!

Like how are you going to get a coach fired for being a....coach?
The Future is Bright!
jrodmc
Member: #805
USA
10/5/2020  8:45 AM
Russell was great as a player/coach; as just a coach, not so much.

Best great player that translated into a decent coach was probably (except for obviously his stint here) Lenny Wilkens.

jrodmc
Member: #805
USA
10/5/2020  8:48 AM
Allanfan20 wrote:
Allanfan20 wrote:
TPercy wrote:We actually dodged a bullet to the head. This is effing crazy and would be getting way more publicity if it was in NY. I have never heard a more incoherent explanation.

Disgraceful.

If they end up winning a chip, nobody will care. I don't see that happening though. Too fragile, too weird.

Uptown
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #1883

10/5/2020  12:09 PM    LAST EDITED: 10/5/2020  12:10 PM
TPercy wrote:
Allanfan20 wrote:
Allanfan20 wrote:
TPercy wrote:
martin wrote:

Disgraceful.

Like how are you going to get a coach fired for being a....coach?

LMAO!!! Kyrie doesn't want a coach coming in "putting his philosophies on everything!" What?! So what do you want the coach to do?!

Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
10/5/2020  1:35 PM
jrodmc wrote:Russell was great as a player/coach; as just a coach, not so much.

Best great player that translated into a decent coach was probably (except for obviously his stint here) Lenny Wilkens.

Most all stars have not done well. Tommy Heinson and Don Nelson did well as “good” nba players. Kidd might still have potential. That he took an assistants role might “reboot” his arrogance?
Paul Westphal was a 5 time all star and did a good job on a stacked PHX team.
Rudy T was also a 5x allstar with two chips as coach. Pat Riley was far better a coach than player!!!
Good call on Lenny. Before my time as a player but his cred is substantial.

Chandler
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #6197

10/6/2020  9:33 AM
Nalod wrote:

Most all stars have not done well. Tommy Heinson and Don Nelson did well as “good” nba players. Kidd might still have potential. That he took an assistants role might “reboot” his arrogance?
Rudy T was also a 5x allstar with two chips as coach. Pat Riley was far better a coach than player!!!

Larry Bird did well, but Isiah and Magic not so much.

So who knows how Nash will be but it has all the markings of a dumpster fire when his two best players got the old coach fired and then went even more cuckoo

(5)(5)
BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

10/6/2020  12:20 PM
Chandler wrote:
Nalod wrote:

Larry Bird did well, but Isiah and Magic not so much.

So who knows how Nash will be but it has all the markings of a dumpster fire when his two best players got the old coach fired and then went even more cuckoo

Don't forget Mo' Cheeks, who was a decent coach. Terry Porter, Jeff Hornacek, Nate McMillan and Scott Skiles are guys who fell short of being All-Stars who became decent coaches. In fact, Jeff did make an All- Star team. To my surprise, KC Jones was inducted to the HOF as a player and a coach
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
Chandler

10/7/2020  8:30 AM
Triple I agree with your post. There is great reason to want change, and of course justice, and often (seemingly always) things seem to move too slow

But one thing for sure, people need to look in the mirror and take accountability for their own actions first, otherwise their own cries for justice etc are going to take a massive credibility hit.

NBA players being silent on China and on Nike labor practices is an example and the big elephant in the room. That's all about greed.

There are tons of examples of issues that need reform that aren't fairly debatable -- like the grossly unequal, unfair education system here in Boston. Why people decide to rally around situations like the one you mention is a mystery to me; IMO it risks confusing important messages (e.g., reform is needed turns into a hollering match over whether all cops are bad versus some bad apples -- during that hollering match nothing gets done, opposition gets entrenched etc.)

(5)(5)
smackeddog
Member: #883
10/7/2020  10:22 AM
smackeddog
10/7/2020  10:30 AM    LAST EDITED: 10/7/2020  10:50 AM
Chandler wrote:Triple I agree with your post. There is great reason to want change, and of course justice, and often (seemingly always) things seem to move too slow

But one thing for sure, people need to look in the mirror and take accountability for their own actions first, otherwise their own cries for justice etc are going to take a massive credibility hit.

NBA players being silent on China and on Nike labor practices is an example and the big elephant in the room. That's all about greed.

There are tons of examples of issues that need reform that aren't fairly debatable -- like the grossly unequal, unfair education system here in Boston. Why people decide to rally around situations like the one you mention is a mystery to me; IMO it risks confusing important messages (e.g., reform is needed turns into a hollering match over whether all cops are bad versus some bad apples -- during that hollering match nothing gets done, opposition gets entrenched etc.)

Black people have to earn the right to speak out about police brutality? You can't demand an end to police brutality unless you prove yourself a saint who treats all others equally? Really? Why? Do white people have to earn their rights like this? If someone started randomly shooting people on your street every so often, and you demanded it stop, would you buy it if someone said "well, you know, you really need to sort yourself out and look in the mirror first, then maybe you can speak out about it, if I deem you worthy enough"?

"Stop killing unarmed black people" "oh, but wait a minute- what is your stance on Chinese sweatshops? You really need to sort that out first before you can speak out against murder!" Absolute nonsense.

Who cares what the spark that ignites a movement is? Look at history, the tipping point is rarely something you'd think would be a tipping point.

I really don't get why anyone feels threatened/defensive about nba players speaking out against police brutality, racism and encouraging people to vote (to the point where they have to desperately rail against it or distract from the issue)- this is not even radical, it should be the basic fundamentals of any decent country. Is anyone on this board really pro-police brutality, pro racism and anti black people voting? Is anyone on the board really against nba players and coaches sharing their experiences of racism in the hope of educating others?

smackeddog
10/7/2020  10:33 AM
Good game last night- shame the first game of the series was such a stinker, it really took the momentum out of the series.
BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

10/7/2020  11:41 AM
smackeddog wrote:

But...didn't his dad kill JFK and didn't he marry a dog? Ted Cruz is a boot licking joke and nothing he says or does should be taken seriously.

Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
10/7/2020  6:19 PM
Gillette, a company that has been doing so poorly - "Procter & Gamble, the parent company of Gillette, announced Tuesday they had taken over $5 billion in losses for the quarter, after Gillette had an $8 billion noncash writedown after its market share for razors fell over the last three years" - and who didn't understand their market well enough over the past 5 years makes a 90 second short that further pissed off their consumers because yet again they didn't understand their market as evidenced by 5 years of colossal losses? They are a company that hasn't adjusted to the online frontier and can't compete with start-ups like Harry's and Dollar Club?

What does that have to do with a social movement that has nothing to do with their own failures that are well documented?

I don't understand how one has anything to do with the other

Every company out there is going to have to adjust. Blockbuster is no longer and is gone; they had everything in their hands and decided not to buy Netflix fr $50M. NBA will need to figure this out and adjust or die

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
Chandler

10/7/2020  8:30 PM
smackeddog wrote:
Chandler wrote:Triple I agree with your post. There is great reason to want change, and of course justice, and often (seemingly always) things seem to move too slow

Black people have to earn the right to speak out about police brutality? You can't demand an end to police brutality unless you prove yourself a saint who treats all others equally? Really? Why? Do white people have to earn their rights like this? If someone started randomly shooting people on your street every so often, and you demanded it stop, would you buy it if someone said "well, you know, you really need to sort yourself out and look in the mirror first, then maybe you can speak out about it, if I deem you worthy enough"?

"Stop killing unarmed black people" "oh, but wait a minute- what is your stance on Chinese sweatshops? You really need to sort that out first before you can speak out against murder!" Absolute nonsense.

Who cares what the spark that ignites a movement is? Look at history, the tipping point is rarely something you'd think would be a tipping point.

I really don't get why anyone feels threatened/defensive about nba players speaking out against police brutality, racism and encouraging people to vote (to the point where they have to desperately rail against it or distract from the issue)- this is not even radical, it should be the basic fundamentals of any decent country. Is anyone on this board really pro-police brutality, pro racism and anti black people voting? Is anyone on the board really against nba players and coaches sharing their experiences of racism in the hope of educating others?

sorry if i was in any way unclear on this. not remotely trying to minimize the issue of police brutality. when i said "situation" i was referring to a person suspected in a drive by shooting which is the one Triple mentioned in connection with the Steelers; I was not referring to the more general issue. to me, that's a situation that's tough to rally around even if rallying/protesting police brutality is otherwise easy. Did you read Triple's Post? And in a way you're proving my point. You want to provoke a hollering match about things that can be fairly disputed even though there could be huge swaths of common ground where progress may be made.

And the issue isn't "earning" the right to speak out. Every one has the right to speak in a public space, see First Amendment, especially on issues of a political nature -- even Antonin Scalia would have conceded that. You also have the right (no need to earn it) for peaceful assembly

That said, anyone's voice will have more credibility and impact if the speakers weren't themselves hypocritical. Keep in mind what mainland China wants to do in Hong Kong for HKers wanting to express political speech -- tiananmen square 2.0 is brewing. Think what mainland china would do for protesting the brutality of tiananmen square -- be honest. Pretty basic, not radical to think that's horrible wrong yet when Morey tweets about it NBA actually tells him to shut up as do key players. let that sink in. Pretty selective ethics if you ignore that IMO

BTW do you know any recent history of what happens with labor disputes in China -- people die. they make the union busters we had pre New Deal look like Mother Theresa in comparison

(5)(5)
smackeddog
10/8/2020  2:57 AM
Chandler wrote:
smackeddog wrote:

sorry if i was in any way unclear on this. not remotely trying to minimize the issue of police brutality. when i said "situation" i was referring to a person suspected in a drive by shooting which is the one Triple mentioned in connection with the Steelers; I was not referring to the more general issue. to me, that's a situation that's tough to rally around even if rallying/protesting police brutality is otherwise easy. Did you read Triple's Post? And in a way you're proving my point. You want to provoke a hollering match about things that can be fairly disputed even though there could be huge swaths of common ground where progress may be made.

And the issue isn't "earning" the right to speak out. Every one has the right to speak in a public space, see First Amendment, especially on issues of a political nature -- even Antonin Scalia would have conceded that. You also have the right (no need to earn it) for peaceful assembly

That said, anyone's voice will have more credibility and impact if the speakers weren't themselves hypocritical. Keep in mind what mainland China wants to do in Hong Kong for HKers wanting to express political speech -- tiananmen square 2.0 is brewing. Think what mainland china would do for protesting the brutality of tiananmen square -- be honest. Pretty basic, not radical to think that's horrible wrong yet when Morey tweets about it NBA actually tells him to shut up as do key players. let that sink in. Pretty selective ethics if you ignore that IMO

BTW do you know any recent history of what happens with labor disputes in China -- people die. they make the union busters we had pre New Deal look like Mother Theresa in comparison

I'm sorry, I don't buy your argument at all. If someone speaks out against childhood sexual abuse, is your reaction "Ah, but what about your stance on BLM?" or "Wait a minute, how can you speak out about childhood sexual abuse when you haven't spoken out about climate change?"? Only time people do that is if they don't want to engage with the issue raised. You don't have to have 'credibility' because it's not about the person speaking out and their life record, it's about the issue being spoken out about.

smackeddog
10/8/2020  2:59 AM
It's weird we're almost at the end of the nba season. When the bubble started it seemed like the next season was going pretty much straight after, now it might not be until March. Can't believe the draft is still over a month away!
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
10/8/2020  9:30 AM    LAST EDITED: 10/8/2020  9:32 AM
Remember when League mandated players change their street clothes when on the bench? there was backlash that players looked too much like “Hip Hop artists” at the time.
IN time recording artist started looking like NBA players who created a new trend of fashion and opportunities for players to express their individuality in another way.
White america has always been afraid of losing its majority. ITs threatened. Has been in the south since the start.
Nalod gets a bit repulsed when the NFL over Veterans Day makes a big show of patriotism. It reeks of being insincere and politically weaponized to bring in the conservative arm of the country. I thought the reaction of the opening game with the Chiefs vs Texans in KC when fans started to boo was not a good look but might have been that it was a bit Over choreographed and besides elements of being racist might had more to do with how it came off. It was a bit drawn out.
When this happens the message gets lost.
INstitutionally until players are willing to sacrifice games/money/image the likely won’t have a loud sustainable voice. Kaepernick did great but look how convoluted it all became. I hope history is kinder to him.
John Carlos and Tommie Smith paid a big price to demonstrate their message on the podium of the 1968 Olympic. The third guy? The White guy? Peter Norman. He did not raise his fist but he wore a badge of solidarity on the stand. Rather than be celebrated a heart in Australia for his achievements that year and a stellar career he was blackballed from any employment as a coach or statemsman and got completely ****ed over by white Australia. Interesting read here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Norman. San Jose State has a statue of him,, the US olympic team had invite him to participate in the Sydney Olympic when host Australia wiggled out of acknowledging him properly and at his death at age 64 Smith and Carlos were pallbearers.

Norman wore a badge on the podium in support of the Olympic Project for Human Rights (OPHR). After the final, Carlos and Smith had told Norman what they were planning to do during the ceremony. As journalist Martin Flanagan wrote: "They asked Norman if he believed in human rights. He said he did. They asked him if he believed in God. Norman, who came from a Salvation Army background, said he believed strongly in God. We knew that what we were going to do was far greater than any athletic feat. He said, 'I'll stand with you'. Carlos said he expected to see fear in Norman's eyes. He didn't; 'I saw love.'"[10] On the way to the medal ceremony, Norman saw the OPHR badge being worn by Paul Hoffman, a white member of the US rowing team, and asked him if he could wear it.[11] It was Norman who suggested that Smith and Carlos share the black gloves used in their salute, after Carlos left his pair at the Olympic Village.[4] This is the reason for Smith raising his right fist, while Carlos raised his left.
Later career[edit]
Before the 1968 Olympics, Norman was a trainer for West Brunswick Australian rules football club as a way of keeping fit over winter during the athletic circuit's off season. After 1968 he played 67 games for West Brunswick from 1972 to 1977 before coaching an under 19 team in 1978.[citation needed]
In 1985, Norman contracted gangrene after tearing his Achilles tendon during a charity race, which nearly led to his leg being amputated. Depression, heavy drinking and pain killer addiction followed.[12]
Treatment after 1968[edit]
After the salute, it has been claimed that Norman's career suffered greatly. A 2012 CNN profile said that "he returned home to Australia a pariah, suffering unofficial sanction and ridicule as the Black Power salute's forgotten man. He never ran in the Olympics again."[13] Commentators say he was not selected for the Olympic Games in Munich in 1972 despite recording qualifying times, and was not welcomed even three decades later at the 2000 Summer Olympics in Sydney.[14][15][16] Carlos later stated that "If we [Carlos and Smith] were getting beat up, Peter was facing an entire country and suffering alone."

Sorry to go off point. Both Carlos and smith paid dearly for their demonstration as did Muhammad Ali. Kareem early in his career was moving into a bad place with his affiliation with the Nation of Islam an perceived as “radical’. He was used by them a bit and he was able to over come this over time and has a been a great voice of the people from time to time. These are men that faced the moment. I’m not here to be critical of Lebron, or Jordan, or any athlete. They are balancing the moment. Economic power does matter and perhaps they are stronger to keep building upon it. Build schools and support forward movement. In my mind black football players really want to shake up the institution then they all have to walk out. Same for the NBA. The reaction? Predictably white American will make it ugly. I don’t know the answer.

Peter Norman really was out to make a statement. He was not Choreographing a message. He did what he thought was decent at the moment.

Today we face a referendum. Vote. This election is not about just trump vs. Biden. Its about the mood and the done of the democracy. Not voting is a selfish exercise.

Around the NBA 2019-20

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy