Author Thread
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
6/8/2005  9:36 PM
Posted by BRIGGS:
Posted by gunsnewing:

what has Petro proven other than that 1 dunk clip?

We hear about Splitter doing well in the playoffs against top Euro conpetition. what is Petro doing right now?

If Bynum is gone and Isiah likes Splitter I wouldn't mind one bit if he's our project center or even PF but I rather draft BPA first and pick up a mid 1st rounf pick and draft Splitter

Petro isnt even being measured at Chicago. im sorry, but ive seen his picture all over the web. They measured Bynum at his workout 7-1 1/8 282 with a 7-6 wingspan. That, my friends is a real C and hes only 17
His wing span keeps getting bigger. Wasn't it 7'4" last week? 7'6"? Now that's longer than Yao's wing span. At this rate, his wing span will be wider than the basketball court by the time next season starts!

[Edited by - Bonn1997 on 06/08/2005 21:37:37]
AUTOADVERT
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
6/8/2005  9:43 PM
Posted by Bonn1997:
Posted by BRIGGS:

[quote]Posted by gunsnewing:

We hear about Splitter doing well in the playoffs against top Euro conpetition. what is Petro doing right now?

If Bynum is gone and Isiah likes Splitter I wouldn't mind one bit if he's our project center or even PF but I rather draft BPA first and pick up a mid 1st rounf pick and draft Splitter

Petro isnt even being measured at Chicago. im sorry, but ive seen his picture all over the web. They measured Bynum at his workout 7-1 1/8 282 with a 7-6 wingspan. That, my friends is a real C and hes only 17
His wing span keeps getting bigger. Wasn't it 7'4" last week? 7'6"? Now that's longer than Yao's wing span. At this rate, his wing span will be wider than the basketball court by the time next season starts!

Thats what he was measured at last week. you must be thinking about Ike Diogu who has a 7-4 reach. You must know a lot about basketball, because Yao actually has a very small reach for his size, 7-1.
RIP Crushalot😞
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
6/8/2005  10:00 PM
Posted by BRIGGS:
Posted by Bonn1997:
Posted by BRIGGS:

[quote]Posted by gunsnewing:

Thats what he was measured at last week. you must be thinking about Ike Diogu who has a 7-4 reach. You must know a lot about basketball, because Yao actually has a very small reach for his size, 7-1.
Oh, did I say something remotely negative about your hero Bynum?

Yao's wingspan has grown as he's gotten older. In the 2004 olympics, it measured in at 7'5". See link below. It was 7'4"+ in 2002. See 2nd link below. If you want to change the topic to standing reach, Yao is between 9'7" and 9'8". See links below again. If you're going to insult someone about not knowing a lot about basketball, you should at least make sure you're right and he's wrong rather than the reverse! Otherwise you set yourself up to be corrected by someone you just thought knew less than you. It's gotta be 10 times more embarrasing to be corrected by a snitty gay robot who excretes snit vomit on a daily basis!
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1495244/bio
http://nbadraft.net/2002predraftmeasurements.htm

[Edited by - Bonn1997 on 06/08/2005 23:11:33]
metra
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #473
6/8/2005  10:22 PM
WTF

is with this forum and Bynum hype? Briggs is a great poster but I can't fall in love with Bynum just from Briggs's posts. And no one's really denied him until this thread! Most of the replies have come from "eh..." to "ok i guess" to "Awesome this kid rocks!!!"

How do you know? From the snippets you read on him? THERE'S ABSOLUTELY NO INFO ON THIS KID! guns makes fun of someone else for the 1 dunk clip of Petro, how many clips of Bynum are there?! How many statlines do you see? Where are his HS stats?

The plusses i see so far:

HUGE Kid: Since when did JUST SIZE become such a big factor? SIZE and some sort of showing of skills maybe.. But how does anyone really know what skills Bynum has when he hasn't even worked out 2v2! He had MAYBE 1 good performance at some HS game.

Great Wingspan: He's 7-1, what do you think his wingspan is gonna be? 6-10? Its gonna be a few inches longer than his height, which it is. Awesome. Ike Diogu has that wingspan, too.

Great Hands (& Feet?): Nice, he can rebound when no one's defending him! Awesome he can slowly dribble the ball! No one at 7-1 is gonna need dribbling.

Just those 3 attributes aren't gonna swing me over to his side. There are so many huge guys that dont amount to anything so how can you possibly KNOW that this is the one that turns the Knicks around? I dont hear anything about amazing athleticism. I dont hear anything about extraordinary hustle/heart (Amare, Ben).

All I hear is that he's huge and he's 17... and OMG! HE's STILL GROWING! And the UConn coach said he's not bad. Great! Let's stop thinking and spend our pick on him!

AND... for pick 30 we can get Sun Ming Ming the giant from China. He's 7-9 (almost), 7-9 wingspan, and he HAS to have great (huge) hands.. With that combo, we'll never lose!

Forget proving yourself in games, athletecism, and work ethic! Let's just get some potential bigs! If it f**ks up, we can just keep on firing people and keep blaming the organization, not ourselves!

[Edited by - metra on 06/08/2005 22:23:51]
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
6/8/2005  10:26 PM
thats why we've been waiing to see what he does during the workouts metra. And so far so good! you can look for negatives and question every prospect. Heck even Lebron was questioned and no one thought Tim Duncan was going to be the immortal he has become
metra
6/8/2005  10:32 PM
Thats not the same guns.. I dont have to tell you that everyone KNEW Lebron was gonna be great just from his televised games. To tell you the truth I dont remember Duncan's drafting but I'm positive that all the GM's and fans had were a few snippets about him on the internet..

All I'm saying is that a body doesn't make a player. Sure, height doesn't grow on trees but we can't go jumping on any guy that isn't anemic and is over 7..
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
6/8/2005  10:38 PM
Posted by metra:

Thats not the same guns.. I dont have to tell you that everyone KNEW Lebron was gonna be great just from his televised games. To tell you the truth I dont remember Duncan's drafting but I'm positive that all the GM's and fans had were a few snippets about him on the internet..

All I'm saying is that a body doesn't make a player. Sure, height doesn't grow on trees but we can't go jumping on any guy that isn't anemic and is over 7..

but its not just his body. not one center prospect other than Bogut is as polished offensively as this guy. The rest are Tweeners who are extremely raw and yrs away and more defensive oriented right now. Which makes them unworthy of being the 8th overall pick over Wright, Webster, Graham and yes Bynum.

Frye is a jumpshooting Tweener. The last thing our perimeter oriented inconsistent offense needs. We need a guy who can be a beast inside. It just so happens that Bynum happens to be a very good long range shooter as well
metra
6/8/2005  10:42 PM
do you mean that he's good only compared to others? and that the others are bad just cause theyre skinny?

That logic just has to be flawed. Does he have any kind of athletic skills? I'd go as far to say that the tweeners are more skilled than he is just because thats whats going for them: theyre skill/athleticism. Not their physicality (being skinny). All Bynym has is the potential to be better than them. But no one really knows if he will, except that those amazing hands of his might help.

[Edited by - metra on 06/08/2005 22:45:46]
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
6/8/2005  10:51 PM
Posted by metra:

what do you want--he played very well at MCD and Jordan Classic against the best HS competition even though he was 315 pounds and out of shape because of a bone bruise that hurt him all year. He went back, lost 30 pounds and has been developing his burgeoning skills. If that kid went to these games in the shape he was in right now, WTF kind of rediculous # do you think he wouldve put up?
i mean combined he put up 22 points 10 rebounds 2 steals 2 blocks in 26 total combined minutes on 9-14 against the absolute top competition and he wasnt in shape and hurt!

he was the number 1 ranked C prospect in rivals 100 again out of shape and hurt. he was in a fierce recruiting battle with Duke Georgia Techa nd Uconn. Jom Calhouns said his upside is higher than Emkeka's.

he just played with 3 college graudates from top flight programs and looked much better than anyone of them despite being 5 years younger.
Hes 7-1 1/8 and 282 and still growing? what else do you want--him to go to school,and become the number 1 pick? this is NOT some big kid with no skills, this is a high high ceiling prospect.
RIP Crushalot😞
Killa4luv
Alba Posts: 51
Member: #261
USA
6/9/2005  12:13 AM
Posted by metra:

WTF

is with this forum and Bynum hype? Briggs is a great poster but I can't fall in love with Bynum just from Briggs's posts. And no one's really denied him until this thread! Most of the replies have come from "eh..." to "ok i guess" to "Awesome this kid rocks!!!"

How do you know? From the snippets you read on him? THERE'S ABSOLUTELY NO INFO ON THIS KID! guns makes fun of someone else for the 1 dunk clip of Petro, how many clips of Bynum are there?! How many statlines do you see? Where are his HS stats?

The plusses i see so far:

HUGE Kid: Since when did JUST SIZE become such a big factor? SIZE and some sort of showing of skills maybe.. But how does anyone really know what skills Bynum has when he hasn't even worked out 2v2! He had MAYBE 1 good performance at some HS game.

Great Wingspan: He's 7-1, what do you think his wingspan is gonna be? 6-10? Its gonna be a few inches longer than his height, which it is. Awesome. Ike Diogu has that wingspan, too.

Great Hands (& Feet?): Nice, he can rebound when no one's defending him! Awesome he can slowly dribble the ball! No one at 7-1 is gonna need dribbling.

Just those 3 attributes aren't gonna swing me over to his side. There are so many huge guys that dont amount to anything so how can you possibly KNOW that this is the one that turns the Knicks around? I dont hear anything about amazing athleticism. I dont hear anything about extraordinary hustle/heart (Amare, Ben).

All I hear is that he's huge and he's 17... and OMG! HE's STILL GROWING! And the UConn coach said he's not bad. Great! Let's stop thinking and spend our pick on him!

AND... for pick 30 we can get Sun Ming Ming the giant from China. He's 7-9 (almost), 7-9 wingspan, and he HAS to have great (huge) hands.. With that combo, we'll never lose!

Forget proving yourself in games, athletecism, and work ethic! Let's just get some potential bigs! If it f**ks up, we can just keep on firing people and keep blaming the organization, not ourselves!

[Edited by - metra on 06/08/2005 22:23:51]
Actually you must have missed the thread where I said the same things and guess who came and attacked me? I was called a child who didnt know anything about basketball and some sh.it about briggs' father being a playground legend and him being a better speller than me or something-I can't remember it all. So no you are not the only one here who is seeing what is happening here.

Bynum is an interesting prospect, and if he pans out, he wont be available to us because he'll be a top 3 pick. So the thinking is to take the risk and draft him before he fully develops into the monster he is going to be.

I don't have a problem with that logic, if that is what Isiah thinks is best. But I do have a problem when this kid who hasn't done anything besides play well in some high school all-star games, is basically being penciled in for the Hall of Fame.

It is a serious risk, and if it doesn't pan out, we're ****ed another year. High school is not the NBA, it isn't even the NCAA, and everyone is forgetting that this kid may just be another Desagana Diop. Yes it is possible, likely even.

Read about his workouts and tell me if you thik they were really impressive. They sounded pretty average to me, but I'll get lambasted for saying that. Read them and tell me what you think.

And if I hear Briggs, talk about this kid's f.ucking bone bruise ONE MORE TIME!!!!
technomaster
Member: #426
USA
6/9/2005  1:42 AM
For the record, DeSagana Diop's high school stats:

http://nbadraft.net/profiles/saganadiop.htm
As a senior:
14.6ppg, 13.2rpg, 8.1bpg. At Oak Hill Academy, perrenial high school powerhouse.

Here's an excerpt from his pre-draft scouting report in 2001 :
Amazingly agile and athletic for a 7 foot 310 pound center. Runs the floor very well. Still very raw offensively but the makings are there. Shows soft touch around the cup. Super strong, very good defender with great shotblocking instincts.

Flash forward several years to the present (from hoopshype.com):
Very, very big... Good mobility... Runs the floor well... Has outstanding shot blocking skills... Has developed a decent mid-range shot... No low post moves... Not a good rebounder for his size... Very inconsistent... A big disappointment so far.

At the ripe old age of 23, this guy with massive potential is considered a major bust. The body and tools for greatness are still there, right?

The Cavs would take a bag of peanuts in exchange for Diop at this point. Maybe we should just trade for him and develop him.

You can't teach size, right... and you have to be born some skillz, right? Well... what has Lampe done for you today?

“That was two, two from the heart.” - John Starks
Killa4luv
Alba Posts: 51
Member: #261
USA
6/9/2005  2:09 AM
You beat me to it. I had this exact same profile ready to post it. There are some important differences between them though. Diop was extremely raw offensively, whereas Bynum is supposed to be like Hakeem Olajuan in the post. And he has a decent shot. Those are important differences, but still there is the chance that Bynum becomes Diop or Jerome James or something.
metra
6/9/2005  3:07 PM
I just want to bump this so everyone can see both sides of the argument.

Killa, i did see your attack and I did see Briggs get off on a tangent in his rebuttal. I apologize for not mentioning it.

Here we have a nice argument against Bynum in this ultimateknicks forum (at draftcity there arent nearly this many, for lack a of a better word, blind followers of Bynum).

We're basing our 8th pick in the draft on a good half hour of play from Bynum. Let's hope we can really get some more angles on this kid.
Outside the Lines Nightly on Bynum right now

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy