[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Vangundy's slow ball at it again
Author Thread
playa2
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #407

11/17/2004  9:25 AM
Yao Ming, who had 27 points and 11 rebounds, ended Houston's 0-for-10 skid from the field with a 5-footer with 18 seconds remaining, cutting Atlanta's lead to 86-84. But Jon Barry made two free throws to seal the win for the Hawks.

``We just melted down,'' Houston coach Jeff Van Gundy said. ``You've got to give them credit, they did a good job of pressuring us.''

The Rockets were outscored 12-2 in fast-break points, and they have outscored an opponent on the break in just one of their nine games. He has the leagues leading scorer and still can't outscore the Lowly hawks. With a record of 4-5 and not cracking the 100 pt mark he has to be the worst offensive head coach in the league.
JAMES DOLAN on Isiah : He's a good friend of mine and of the organization and I will continue to solicit his views. He will always have strong ties to me and the team.
AUTOADVERT
Silverfuel
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #268
USA
11/17/2004  9:26 AM
Posted by playa2:

With a record of 4-5 and not cracking the 100 pt mark he has to be the worst offensive head coach in the league.
I knew the real playa was going to show up soon.
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.
playa2

11/17/2004  9:38 AM
Silver don't try and vent on me because of the knicks. Stay on the topic at hand.
JAMES DOLAN on Isiah : He's a good friend of mine and of the organization and I will continue to solicit his views. He will always have strong ties to me and the team.
Silverfuel
USA
11/17/2004  9:42 AM
Posted by playa2:

Silver don't try and vent on me because of the knicks. Stay on the topic at hand.
Vent? Dude, I thought it was funny that you come up with a 'VanGundy sucks' thread at this time!
playa2

11/17/2004  9:50 AM
Nice diversion from hearing how bad we suck and repeated "I HATE TIMMY THREAD"
Silverfuel
USA
11/17/2004  9:53 AM
Posted by playa2:

Nice diversion from hearing how bad we suck and repeated "I HATE TIMMY THREAD"
thats true. I wasnt going after you for makig up the thread. I thought it was funny because it was such a typical playa thread. The timing was the cherry on top. To stay on topic, Van Gundy might be a bad offensive coach but he wins more games than he losses at the end of seasons.
playa2

11/17/2004  10:07 AM
Yea but how far he goes in the post season is what counts with him. It's not like he's aTerry Porter or something(new at coaching)he;s a maxed out coach= he can get ya there and that is about as far as he can take ya. In other words he wins games(reg season) with slow ball but loses when it counts in playoffs because of his lack of offense.
Vmart
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #247
USA
11/17/2004  1:22 PM
Yeah JVG is a pathetic offensive coach. But a great defensive coach. He needs to hire someone to orchastrate the offensive end for him. That might get him a championship if he does it.
franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
11/17/2004  2:52 PM
how many more games does he last before they make a coaching change?

Can you say Phil Jackson?
GoNyGoNyGo
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #411
USA
11/17/2004  7:49 PM
I see Playa is at it again!

Let's not forget that Houston has MANy new players and while yes, their offense is bad, it will improve and by the time the playoffs come the team will be ready as JVG's teams are. The team is his now. He has a Top c and a Superstar. This is his best chance to win. Let's see if he can do it.
playa2

11/18/2004  7:45 AM
Posted by Vmart:

Yeah JVG is a pathetic offensive coach. But a great defensive coach. He needs to hire someone to orchastrate the offensive end for him. That might get him a championship if he does it.

Vmart, Jeff won't hire an offensive Guru as an assistant, afraid of ending up like Don Nelson did (jeff snuck in) he didn't play defense while at NY even though the team had a winning record. TOO MUCH EGO FOR THE LIL MAN TO CHANGE NOW!
Bobby
Member: #408
USA
11/21/2004  8:29 PM
too bad vg could'nt make his point with da franchise..... what ego,call it vg's folly
"Like they always say, New York is the Mecca of basketball,"I read that in Michael Jordan books my whole life and I played here in the Big East tournament, so it's always fun to play in the Mecca of basketball."---Rip Hamilton
playa2

11/25/2004  8:31 AM
This man has run the same three or four plays for about eight years now, why does he continually get a free pass? There is a scissor cut for a guard off the high post, his favorite pass and stand to the post. Pick and roll which is his best idea and a double screen on the baseline. Why does everyone feel it is good coaching to go at least 18 seconds into the shot clock? Had great offensive talent everywhere he has been and still his teams continually do what horrible offensive teams do. Low field goal %, low free throw attempts numbers and points per game. Go back over the years and look at his teams I have they are always at the bottom in these categories. Francis and mobley are winning games and scoring in Orlando.
playa2

11/27/2004  10:56 AM
Look for the Houston Rockets to start making changes if things do not improve quickly, with coach Jeff Van Gundy unhappy with his team's start and their inability to mesh on the court.

"Certainly if the results don't change, we'll need to change either who plays or who's here," Van Gundy said. "Because one thing you don't want to get used to is mediocrity."

"To break the cycle of mediocrity that our organization has been in is a challenge for all of us from (owner) Leslie (Alexander) on down," Van Gundy said. "And the one thing I love about him is he has an urgent desire to win. And he doesn't have any patience with mediocrity. And I think our team needs to reflect that. And I don't think we do, yet."

This guy vangundy is just now starting to be exposed as a freakin fraud. His prehistoric egg game plans are starting hatch. ROFL
Bobby
Member: #408
USA
11/27/2004  7:19 PM
all i have to say is good coaches do not find excuses. i think it was pitino up in beantown that said he would leave if the cees did not have a winning record. wonder if jvg would do the same in houston, nevertheless further reading from houston chronicle:

Nov. 26, 2004, 10:47PM

Rockets failing to mesh
Van Gundy says changes imminent in organization
By MEGAN MANFULL
Copyright 2004 Houston Chronicle

One thing Rockets coach Jeff Van Gundy can guarantee is that changes are imminent in the Rockets' organization. He isn't sure what or when they will happen. He just knows the current situation isn't working.
Three weeks into the regular season, Van Gundy has yet to see the team mesh on the court. The Rockets (6-7) have won only two games against teams with winning records and lost four games to teams under .500.
"Certainly if the results don't change, we'll need to change either who plays or who's here," Van Gundy said. "Because one thing you don't want to get used to is mediocrity."
Van Gundy sees the Rockets as an organization that has been mediocre for too long. Last year's team made slight progress by reaching the playoffs for the first time in five seasons. The Rockets were a seventh seed, however, and lost in the first round to the Lakers.
The team hasn't won a title since the 1994-95 season when the Rockets won the NBA championship. Their last division title came in the 1993-94 season, and they haven't gotten past the first round of the playoffs since 1997 when they lost to Utah in the Western Conference Finals.
"To break the cycle of mediocrity that our organization has been in is a challenge for all of us from (owner) Leslie (Alexander) on down," Van Gundy said. "And the one thing I love about him is he has an urgent desire to win. And he doesn't have any patience with mediocrity. And I think our team needs to reflect that. And I don't think we do, yet."
Van Gundy hopes to see progress as early as tonight when the Rockets travel to play a Utah team searching for answers of its own. Van Gundy is still mulling possible lineup changes and didn't rule out the possibility of one happening as early as tonight.
The Rockets have not changed the starting lineup all season except when injuries have forced it. Van Gundy has proved over time that every decision he makes is deliberate.
"One thing that you don't want to be doing is vacillating," Van Gundy said. "So you want to be sure if you ever do change, not vacillate back and forth."
Rockets players agree something is wrong with the team, especially after entering a season expected to contend for the Western Conference title. The team started with high hopes after acquiring Tracy McGrady from Orlando, but the transition of easing eight new players into the system hasn't been smooth.
Changes blamed
Jim Jackson said the offseason transactions are to blame for the slow start. The players are still trying to become familiar with each other on the court.
"If you had a crystal ball and said, 'Yeah, I want it to happen by Dec. 1,' that would be the best scenario," Jackson said. "But, unfortunately, it doesn't happen like that.
"I do think more time is needed, but coach has to make a decision on what he feels needs to be done. Players, we look at it a little differently. But coach's timetable may be different than ours."
Van Gundy doesn't have a timetable yet. He likes the current makeup of the team and said the personalities all mesh in the locker room. They just don't fit on the court together.
Bob Sura is still recovering from back surgery and likely will be cleared to play next month. And while Sura's return is greatly anticipated, Van Gundy has no notions that Sura can fix all that's ailing the team.
Sura no cure-all
"You would expect that he will help, but you can't expect someone who has never played a game with you and who's been out so long, to be a cure-all," Van Gundy said. "It's not that one position that is holding us back. It's really not fitting together well that's holding us back.
"When you have good chemistry, it inspires you personally. It inspires each other. And we certainly need improvement in that area."
Van Gundy said the blame is shared by everyone in the locker room, including him. He said he is still searching for a right mix of players who can win on the court. He added that the players need to ask themselves if they are helping the team come together or hurting the team.
The change Van Gundy hopes to eventually create will catapult the Rockets to the top of the Western Conference. He has seen the potential in this team, but the glimpses have been fleeting.
"To break out of that rut of being just OK is very difficult, but we have to be able to be ruthless in our pursuit of being better than mediocre," he said. "Mediocrity has seeped in and stayed in.
"And to have a breakthrough, we're going to have to do some things differently as far as sustaining our play."
"Like they always say, New York is the Mecca of basketball,"I read that in Michael Jordan books my whole life and I played here in the Big East tournament, so it's always fun to play in the Mecca of basketball."---Rip Hamilton
playa2

11/28/2004  12:57 PM
Vandummy is being exposed Different team ,League Scoring leader in McGrady and 7'6 center and still sounding like the old knicks problems!

Our rebounding has been a concern for a long time,'' said Jeff Van Gundy, pointing out that Houston is 1-8 when outrebounded this season. ``We're obviously not pursuing the ball as we should. The coach should have the team playing with energy and passion and obviously I don't have them doing that.''

Yao agreed.

``I think I did a bad job,'' he said. ``I was waiting for the rebounds to come to me and I have to go get them.''

McGrady had no excuses.

``We're having slow starts and then trying to fight back at the end,'' McGrady said. ``We come back like fighting dogs, but it's just not enough. Some how, some way, we've got to come out with greater intensity from the start of games.''

playa2

12/1/2004  7:48 AM
Some people couldn't see what I saw in VANDUMMY while he was even here in NY.

Sounds like the same old drama with a different cast of players.

Houston scored a season-low 72 points, committed 19 turnovers and attempted 16 fewer field goals.

``We're losing and it seems like it's the same type of effort every night,'' said All-Star guard Tracy McGrady, who was acquired in a blockbuster summer trade from Orlando to move Houston closer to the crown.

``It's got to change because right now it's pretty embarrassing,'' McGrady said. ``It's tough for us to get that type of effort at home in front of our fans.''

In the waning seconds, a group of fans sitting behind the Houston bench began chanting ``Fire Gundy!'' Rockets coach Jeff Van Gundy looked at the vocal bunch, nodded at them and continued frowning at his team's miserable performance.

The Rockets were booed off the court when the game ended.

``I think it starts with me,'' Van Gundy said. ``I'm going to get a group that looks like they really want to play. I just haven't provided that this year, and for that, I'm very apologetic to our fans.''

Pike
Member: #403
12/1/2004  2:59 PM
Posted by playa2:

Some people couldn't see what I saw in VANDUMMY while he was even here in NY.

what WE saw in Van Dummy!! lol.. at least as far as his slow motion offense is concerned..
fishmike
Member: #298
USA
12/1/2004  3:09 PM
Sounds like the same old drama with a different cast of players.
doesnt sound like the same drama to me at all. Knicks were always in the playoffs, inlcuding the NBA finals and EC finals. I dont see that level of drama in Houston's future.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
fishmike
Member: #298
USA
12/1/2004  3:12 PM
after JVG goes and TMac stinks for the next guy people will realize he's the most overrated player in the NBA, whether its choking to Pistons, losing 17 straight games or quitting on Rivers (former COY).

TMac is a great talent, but he's not Kobe... not even close. He's not Iverson either.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
Vangundy's slow ball at it again

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy