[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

say goodbye to rebuilding when Larry B comes to town....
Author Thread
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
7/20/2005  1:36 PM
the one big concern is guys like Frye and Lee will sit for guys like JYD and Rose. He will teach defense first and rookies earning p/t isnt a bad thing. It will certainly be interesting... the thing is he's always liked lunch pail type guys like Kenny Thomas, Eric Snow, McKey. He would rather play McDyess over Darko and thats a concern.

Either way its got to happen... I just hope Larry and Isiah can forge a good relationship where Isiah scouts talent (his strong point) and Larry teaches it. If we get that I do believe this thing will turn around and FAST.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
AUTOADVERT
mattshaw78
Alba Posts: 52
Member: #915
7/20/2005  1:39 PM
Posted by fishmike:

the one big concern is guys like Frye and Lee will sit for guys like JYD and Rose. He will teach defense first and rookies earning p/t isnt a bad thing. It will certainly be interesting... the thing is he's always liked lunch pail type guys like Kenny Thomas, Eric Snow, McKey. He would rather play McDyess over Darko and thats a concern.

Either way its got to happen... I just hope Larry and Isiah can forge a good relationship where Isiah scouts talent (his strong point) and Larry teaches it. If we get that I do believe this thing will turn around and FAST.

old school coaches usually don't give all the rooks full playing time if there is vets in that positions
BlueSeats "I like anyone who can make Lebron cry. Melo seems to do it a lot."
Knicksfan
Alba Posts: 27
Member: #691
USA
7/20/2005  1:59 PM
If they earn it, Im sure some rooks will get playing. It has even been stated on another thread that he does plays rooks if they are good...
Knicks_Fan
roblackman
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #926
7/20/2005  2:01 PM
LB will play the best players on the team because his job is to win games. The only way the rooks get playing time is if they are better than the players ahead of them on the depth chart--we'll see how good they turn out to be.
And the reply is...a post that makes sense (still waiting)
Rich
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #511
USA
7/20/2005  2:02 PM
I think he has to play the kids, particularly upfront, by necessity, especially Frye, and that there will be an understanding with Isiah to do that.
tomverve
Member: #878
7/20/2005  2:03 PM
One thing to consider is that our rooks are not completely green. Frye and Lee played all 4 years in college and Nate played 3, so they're relatively seasoned for rookie players. By comparison, Darko had the dual drawbacks of being an 18 year old and coming from Europe. Lee will probably ride the pine behind JYD and Rose, but I can see Nate and Frye earning minutes in the regular rotation.
help treat disease with your spare computing power : http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/
tomverve
7/20/2005  2:06 PM
The bigger concern I'd have-- and it's a big one-- is that LB pushes Zeke (either directly or indirectly) to convert to more of a 'win now' mode, perhaps trading some of our rooks our younger guys for more seasoned vets who could make us better in the short term. I highly doubt we'll win a championship in the immediate future, so I'd rather take a bit of a hit in the short term and let our young guys grow into the rotation over the long haul.
help treat disease with your spare computing power : http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/
Rich
USA
7/20/2005  2:07 PM
Posted by tomverve:

The bigger concern I'd have-- and it's a big one-- is that LB pushes Zeke (either directly or indirectly) to convert to more of a 'win now' mode, perhaps trading some of our rooks our younger guys for more seasoned vets who could make us better in the short term. I highly doubt we'll win a championship in the immediate future, so I'd rather take a bit of a hit in the short term and let our young guys grow into the rotation over the long haul.

Now that's a good point.
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
7/20/2005  2:15 PM
Posted by tomverve:

well, i'm hoping that brown also knows the situation he's walking into. that it's one that's a TRUE reclamation project and will take a few years.
islesfan
Alba Posts: 37
Member: #712
7/20/2005  2:27 PM
Posted by djsunyc:
Posted by tomverve:

well, i'm hoping that brown also knows the situation he's walking into. that it's one that's a TRUE reclamation project and will take a few years.

With LB's health deteriorating why would he take this job knowing that? If he's just taking it for the money then his coming here is doomed to failure.

LB would be the biggest splash but it wouldn't be the best fit. The same way getting Phil Jackson wouldn't have been. It's just another example of going for the name with complete disregard of how that person fits. A "win now" type doesn't fit in our current situation.
If it didn’t work in Phoenix with Nash and Stoutamire... it’s just not a winning formula. It’s an entertaining formula, but not a winning one. - Derek Harper talking about D'Antoni's System
Killa4luv
Alba Posts: 51
Member: #261
USA
7/20/2005  2:30 PM
Posted by tomverve:

A coach doesn't push a president, the pushing, if any would work the other way. I don't there will be much pushing at all. LB is being hired to do what he does, and Isiah has waited this long for that, he will respect the decisions that LB makes, but may make a gentle suggestion or two.
tomverve
7/20/2005  2:34 PM
Posted by Killa4luv:

A coach doesn't push a president, the pushing, if any would work the other way. I don't there will be much pushing at all. LB is being hired to do what he does, and Isiah has waited this long for that, he will respect the decisions that LB makes, but may make a gentle suggestion or two.

Brown apparently had a fair bit of say with what the Sixers did when he was their coach. In any case, it doesn't even necessarily have to be that LB explicitly asks Isiah to make certain trades. There's still the danger lurking that with LB we will become competetive enough to seduce Isiah away from his more recent, balanced approach and into full-bore 'win now' mode, future be damned.

Not that I'm against getting Brown, of course. I want him here a lot, and I think he'll be great for developing our youngsters in the long run. And Isiah very well might resist temptation and stick to his guns with the youth movement. But there is at least a chance that that mentality could fly out the door in a year or two.
diderotn
Member: #650
USA
7/20/2005  2:48 PM
Look, when it is all said and done, as long as we are winning, I could care less if the rooks or the vets are playing. Larry is a winner and we all know that.

Posted by mattshaw78:
Posted by fishmike:

old school coaches usually don't give all the rooks full playing time if there is vets in that positions
The true Knickabocker..........
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
7/20/2005  2:54 PM
Larry stayed witht the sixers for SIX years!

Iverson was 22 years old!

They won 31 games his first year coaching.

Its possible the stays, teaches, and eventually wins!
tkf
Member: #87
7/20/2005  2:55 PM
Posted by tomverve:

that scares me tom, but remember a couple of days ago, i created a thread, basically stating the same concerns fishmike has. Will larry play the kids? that concerns me a lot. I don't want to see any trades like lee and ariza and TT for Webber, that will turn me away from this franchise for a loooooong time...
Anyone who sits around and waits for the lottery to better themselves, either in real life or in sports, Is a Loser............... TKF
Rich
USA
7/20/2005  2:56 PM
Posted by Killa4luv:
Posted by tomverve:

When the coach has Larry's rep and makes twice as much as the GM/president, he often does push the coach.
diderotn
Member: #650
USA
7/20/2005  3:02 PM
Larry doesn't like highschool kid or kids that are not fundamentally sound. I am sorry, good coaches don't get down like that. The only player with not much experience so far is ARiza, but no coach will afford to ignore this young kid's will to play the game. One thing is for sure, win you get the opportunity in a larry's run team, you have to take advantage of it.

that scares me tom, but remember a couple of days ago, i created a thread, basically stating the same concerns fishmike has. Will larry play the kids? that concerns me a lot. I don't want to see any trades like lee and ariza and TT for Webber, that will turn me away from this franchise for a loooooong time...
The true Knickabocker..........
VDesai
Alba Posts: 44
Member: #477
USA
7/20/2005  3:24 PM
Larry's old but not stupid. If the young guys can contribute they will be out there. Larry Brown's never been one to keep guys with the talent and heart of Nate or Lee on the bench. And Frye is the best center on the roster...he will play. Ariza is definitely an LB type.
Killa4luv
Alba Posts: 51
Member: #261
USA
7/20/2005  3:25 PM
Posted by fishmike:

He would rather play McDyess over Darko and thats a concern.
Why is this a concern at all? Dice was great off the bench for them. There is a reason Darko didn't play.
Pharzeone
Alba Posts: 14
Member: #871
7/20/2005  3:56 PM
Posted by tomverve:

One thing to consider is that our rooks are not completely green. Frye and Lee played all 4 years in college and Nate played 3, so they're relatively seasoned for rookie players. By comparison, Darko had the dual drawbacks of being an 18 year old and coming from Europe. Lee will probably ride the pine behind JYD and Rose, but I can see Nate and Frye earning minutes in the regular rotation.
Please add that Darko isn't as good as first advertised. Watch him in a couple of SL games, games late last season. Where is this excellent athlethicism? Where is the ball handling skill that Chad Ford was talking about? An older, injured McDyess is 50 times better than Darko at any age. There isn't even any comparison between a young McDyess and Darko. For LB to play him to justify Dumar's selection of him is ridculous. If Sweetney was on that team, I honestly think he would be ahead of Darko in the rotation too.
I don't like to play bad rookies , I like to play good rookies - Mike D'Antoni
say goodbye to rebuilding when Larry B comes to town....

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy