[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

The Official 2005 NO THANKS CLUB
Author Thread
COSSUCKS
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #1569

7/6/2007  1:52 PM
Paxson says that he can’t put his finger on the toughest or most challenging part of his job. But if you ask him about the most difficult situation he’s dealt with in his time as general manager, there isn’t even a close second to the Eddy Curry situation just one year ago.

John Paxson and Eddy Curry Paxson on trading Curry:
"I’ll stand by this forever: We tried to do what was right for Eddy. We had his best intentions at heart from day one and we never wavered from that."
“It was complicated, it was emotional, and it was difficult on a lot of levels,” Paxson recalled. “There was an unfortunate perception that we were looking for something that wasn’t there. The reality is that myself, Jerry Reinsdorf, and everyone else who had the information didn’t want to put anyone at risk.”

The whole thing was made even tougher because there are not a lot of athletic seven-footers who come along everyday,” Paxson explained. “We had invested a lot of resources in Eddy, trying to help him become a good player. We wanted to do what we thought was right.”

It came to the point where Curry’s agent, Leon Rose, found a team that desperately wanted to work with them in putting together a deal. Paxson maintained his reluctance, but knew the situation had to be resolved one way or another.
AUTOADVERT
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
7/6/2007  1:53 PM
do you not understand that Curry would have been a moron to agree to taking that DNA test to begin with when he obviously had a team willing to pay him a lucrative GUARANTEED contract without risking any DNA tests?

if you want to live in denial & speculation, that's fine, but it ignores any simple common sense.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
COSSUCKS

7/6/2007  2:10 PM
Posted by TMS:

do you not understand that Curry would have been a moron to agree to taking that DNA test to begin with when he obviously had a team willing to pay him a lucrative GUARANTEED contract without risking any DNA tests?

if you want to live in denial & speculation, that's fine, but it ignores any simple common sense.

Currys point of view via the DNA test has nothing to do with Paxsons desire.

You claimed that Paxson was avoiding Curry like the plague. I said that is just not accurate and I have showed that point pretty easily.

I'm not living in speculation. You are.
I proved via actions (2 separate contract offers from Pax) and Pax's words that he was not avoiding Curry like the plague as you claimed.

You simply are choosing to ignore all the evidence and speculate with noting concrete to back up your claims that Pax was avoiding Curry like the plague.
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
7/6/2007  2:17 PM
first off, the desire for the dna test was from reinsdorf. paxson is just the face of management on that issue. they were unable to get insurance on eddy's heart so reinsdorf wanted to make sure nothing was genetically wrong with his heart before he gave him a contract. the bulls were ready with an offer if only eddy took the dna test (even without the insurance). but eddy refused b/c the results of that test could effect his contract $$$'s. isiah jumped in and the bulls got as much as they could for him. bulls were painted in a corner and made out ok. we got eddy and we could afford to courtesy of not having to worry about insurance courtesy of cablevision's deep pockets.

the deal we gave eddy did provide *a little* insurance on our end b/c if at any time of the 1st three years, eddy couldn't play because of the heart, the last 3 years would be voided. but if eddy played a healthy first 2 years, the final 3 years automatically get picked up (making it a guaranteed 6 year deal). eddy still has an opt out after the 4th season (after the 08/09 season). that means if he can't play b/c of the heart, we gave away 2 unprotected #1's for nothing - it's a pretty big risk if you really think about it.

in regards to the trading of the 2007 pick (the swap), paxson wanted another player out of the deal (lee rumors). but isiah said no. so he shifted focus to another #1 out of the deal (not just the 2006 pick). his assistant and capologist suggested making a swap in 2007, paxson approached zeke and he agreed.

[Edited by - djsunyc on 07-06-2007 2:22 PM]
TMS
USA
7/6/2007  2:21 PM
Posted by COSSUCKS:

You claimed that Paxson was avoiding Curry like the plague. I said that is just not accurate and I have showed that point pretty easily.

I proved via actions (2 separate contract offers from Pax) and Pax's words that he was not avoiding Curry like the plague as you claimed.

You simply are choosing to ignore all the evidence and speculate with noting concrete to back up your claims that Pax was avoiding Curry like the plague.

you better check your facts buddy, because i never claimed anything about Paxson avoiding Curry like the plague... i made 1 simple statement on this thread about that Bulls offer amounting to pretty much a ridiculous offer just to over their own arses.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
COSSUCKS

7/6/2007  2:26 PM
Posted by TMS:
Posted by COSSUCKS:

you better check your facts buddy, because i never claimed anything about Paxson avoiding Curry like the plague... i made 1 simple statement on this thread about that Bulls offer amounting to pretty much a ridiculous offer just to over their own arses.

I got you confused with the other guy.
You all look alike to me, lol.

Offering Curry a reported 6 year 66 mill contract if he passed a DNA test or a 20 mill annuity if he failed it isnt covering their butts.

PAX didnt have to offer him anything at all if he didnt want him or he could have just qualified him at 5 mill for the year to trade him as a RFA.

Once again I'm going by the actual facts
All you are offering up is speculation.
TMS
USA
7/6/2007  2:31 PM
look, just put yourself in Curry's position... you have the choice to risk losing out on $40+ mil in guaranteed money if you take the DNA test, or you can push for a trade to a team like the Knicks that you know would be willing to offer you a guaranteed deal with no DNA test for much more than what CHI was willing to guarantee if you by chance were to fail the test... which would you choose?

again, Curry would have been an idiot to take CHI up on their offer when he had better options.
COSSUCKS

7/6/2007  2:38 PM
TMS,

I was never speaking about Currys mindset. You keep going back to Curry.

The debate was that Ny4ever claimed that Pax was avoiding Curry like the plague. It was not about Currys mindset.

Via The Bulls 2 contract offers and Paxs own words I have proved that Pax was in no way shape or form avoiding Curry like the plague as was being claimed.
TMS
USA
7/6/2007  2:59 PM
sorry, i'm only commenting on the statement you posted released by the Bulls concerning their so-called good will offer to Curry... i wasn't following the conversation you were having w/anyone else.
COSSUCKS

7/6/2007  3:08 PM
Posted by TMS:

sorry, i'm only commenting on the statement you posted released by the Bulls concerning their so-called good will offer to Curry... i wasn't following the conversation you were having w/anyone else.

No probs.
nyk4ever
Alba Posts: 12
Member: #848
USA
7/6/2007  4:13 PM
Posted by COSSUCKS:

TMS,

The debate was that Ny4ever claimed that Pax was avoiding Curry like the plague. It was not about Currys mindset.

Via The Bulls 2 contract offers and Paxs own words I have proved that Pax was in no way shape or form avoiding Curry like the plague as was being claimed.

He did avoid him like the plague, he gave him a lowball offer because he didn't want him on the team anymore and it worked out for them. The Knicks weren't the only team to be able to sign him without giving him the DNA test, they are just the only ones that wanted to. Had Paxson wanted Curry back bad enough he'd be playing with them right now but he didn't.
"OMG - did we just go on a two-trade-wining-streak?" -SupremeCommander
COSSUCKS

7/6/2007  6:03 PM
Posted by nyk4ever:
Posted by COSSUCKS:

TMS,

He did avoid him like the plague, he gave him a lowball offer because he didn't want him on the team anymore and it worked out for them. The Knicks weren't the only team to be able to sign him without giving him the DNA test, they are just the only ones that wanted to. Had Paxson wanted Curry back bad enough he'd be playing with them right now but he didn't.

I will try one last time.

You seem like you want to avoid the facts and just speculate.

1. Reports said that the Bulls gave Curry a 6year-66 mill conditional offer that was identical to Tyson Chandlers on the condition he take and pass the DNA test. That was not a "lowball" offer

2. No owner outside of Dolan would give a 6 year 56-66 mill contract that was uninsured. Actually Dolan only guaranteed the first 3 years (24 mill vs a heart condition).

3. This is Reinsdorfs money not Paxsons. Pax did not have a choice about Curry being a Bull if he refused to take the DNA test. Pax said he was worried about his heart but regardless Reinsdorf would not allow the 6 year deal to go threw without insurance....hence the DNA test. There are very few guys in the NBA playing on big contracts without insurance. Considering Curry just missed the last month of the season plus playoffs and was hospitalized for a irregular heart beat that is understandable isnt it?

4. If Pax was avoiding Curry like the plague as you say then you are effectively calling Pax a multiple time liar when he may be the straigest shooter in the nba

5. If Pax was "using pr" as you speculate why continue a lie 1-2 years after a trade was made? How does making a big issue about a player heart condition help his trade marketbaility anyway? That sounds like a theory from the Bizarro world.

6. If Pax wanted to trade Curry it would have been much easier to just give him a 1 year 5mill qualifier and then trade his rights. There was no reason at all to give him a 6 year deal if he passed the dna test or a 20mill annuity if he failed it. They could have qualified him for 1 year at 5 mill and traded him. It was as simple as that.

Now I have tried my best to show you actual facts via the actual contract offers and Pax's own words. If you choose to ignore them and just continue to throw up baseless speculation that totally contradicts the facts and logic thats up to you.
nyk4ever
USA
7/6/2007  6:27 PM
Posted by COSSUCKS:
Posted by nyk4ever:
Posted by COSSUCKS:

TMS,

1. Reports said that the Bulls gave Curry a 6year-66 mill conditional offer that was identical to Tyson Chandlers on the condition he take and pass the DNA test. That was not a "lowball" offer

2. No owner outside of Dolan would give a 6 year 56-66 mill contract that was uninsured. Actually Dolan only guaranteed the first 3 years (24 mill vs a heart condition).

3. This is Reinsdorfs money not Paxsons. Pax did not have a choice about Curry being a Bull if he refused to take the DNA test. Pax said he was worried about his heart but regardless Reinsdorf would not allow the 6 year deal to go threw without insurance....hence the DNA test. There are very few guys in the NBA playing on big contracts without insurance. Considering Curry just missed the last month of the season plus playoffs and was hospitalized for a irregular heart beat that is understandable isnt it?

4. If Pax was avoiding Curry like the plague as you say then you are effectively calling Pax a multiple time liar when he may be the straigest shooter in the nba

5. If Pax was "using pr" as you speculate why continue a lie 1-2 years after a trade was made? How does making a big issue about a player heart condition help his trade marketbaility anyway? That sounds like a theory from the Bizarro world.

6. If Pax wanted to trade Curry it would have been much easier to just give him a 1 year 5mill qualifier and then trade his rights. There was no reason at all to give him a 6 year deal if he passed the dna test or a 20mill annuity if he failed it. They could have qualified him for 1 year at 5 mill and traded him. It was as simple as that.

Now I have tried my best to show you actual facts via the actual contract offers and Pax's own words. If you choose to ignore them and just continue to throw up baseless speculation that totally contradicts the facts and logic thats up to you.

Hmm you are right Cos about the 6yrs/66mill. Perhaps I am speculating a bit too much.

I failed to take that into the argument, an error on my part, I thought the DNA request was the only attempt of Paxson. I still think a unprotected #1 was too much though.

[Edited by - nyk4ever on 07-06-2007 6:28 PM]
COSSUCKS

7/6/2007  6:40 PM
Posted by nyk4ever:
Posted by COSSUCKS:
Posted by nyk4ever:
Posted by COSSUCKS:

TMS,

Hmm you are right Cos about the 6yrs/66mill. Perhaps I am speculating a bit too much.

I failed to take that into the argument, an error on my part, I thought the DNA request was the only attempt of Paxson. I still think a unprotected #1 was too much though.

Fair enough. I was worried about you for a while.

Have a great weekend! :)
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
7/6/2007  6:44 PM
Posted by nyk4ever:
Posted by COSSUCKS:
Posted by nyk4ever:
Posted by COSSUCKS:

TMS,

Where did you hear about the 6 yr/66 mil offer? I don't remember it but I could have just forgotten.
nyk4ever
USA
7/6/2007  6:55 PM
Posted by COSSUCKS:

Same to you Cos, it was pretty stupid of me to overlook/forget that fact.
COSSUCKS

7/6/2007  7:02 PM
Posted by Bonn1997:
Posted by nyk4ever:
Posted by COSSUCKS:
Posted by nyk4ever:
Posted by COSSUCKS:

TMS,

Where did you hear about the 6 yr/66 mil offer? I don't remember it but I could have just forgotten.

At that time the Chicago newspapers were openly saying the offer was identical to Tyson Chandlers offer which was 6 years for 66 mill. But the offer was only IF he passed the DNA test. Pax says they made the long term contract offer conditional to him taking and passing the test. The $400000 a year for 50 years were just a safe guard for Eddy in case he failed the test. If he passed then Reinsdorf could get insurance on the deal.
Like I said previously if they did not want to keep him there would be no reason to risk anything. They could have qualified him at 1 year for 5 mill and traded him much easier than pushing for all this DNA heart test stuff. They had Curry see like 7 doctors. Ultimately whether you want to admit it or not it was Curry that asked to be traded. Curry made that decision after getting very frustrated with the whole process. Speaking to Crawford for a year about NY did not hurt either. Lastly people often forget Curry actually asked to be traded to NY in training camp before that 2004/2005 season even started. That was before he missed 13 games due to the heart. He then rescinded that trade request.

[Edited by - COSSUCKS on 07-06-2007 7:03 PM]
nyk4ever
USA
7/6/2007  7:02 PM
Posted by Bonn1997:

After Cos said that, I googled it and a few things came up and of course I'm now looking for it again and can't find it.

COSSUCKS

7/6/2007  7:03 PM
Posted by nyk4ever:
Posted by COSSUCKS:

Same to you Cos, it was pretty stupid of me to overlook/forget that fact.

Stuff like that happens on boards all the time. We all do it. No sweat. :)
TMS
USA
7/6/2007  8:13 PM
let's all join hands & sing kumbaya.
The Official 2005 NO THANKS CLUB

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy