7/5/2007  3:40 PM
Posted by COSSUCKS:
Posted by Bonn1997:
Posted by COSSUCKS:
Posted by Bonn1997:
Posted by Bonn1997:
Posted by COSSUCKS:
Posted by Bonn1997:

I disagree with your assumption but do you not think that if we had a well-run organization with our draft pick, we would have let Marbury sit and let the kids play more and probably would have had around the 5th or 6th slot and had a very good chance at Oden or Durant?

Whats a very good shot at Oden or Durrant? Like Boston had? Or like Memphis had?

How well did those very good shots work out?
See bold. We wouldn't have been bad enough to end up where Boston or Memphis was.

Oh, I meant 5th or 6th slot in the draft lottery. Maybe you didn't know what I meant by that. Otherwise, I can't understand your post.

[Edited by - bonn1997 on 07-05-2007 08:15 AM]

So we would have targeted the 5th or 6th slot in order to get Oden/Durant. Not tried for the 1st or second slot? Sure that sounds reasonable.

So lets take out flukes in this years draft slotting which cant be counted on and look at what happened with the 5th and 6th picks

Boston trades the 5th pick for a 32 year old highly paid Ray Allen
Milwaukee takes a skinny far from ready YI who doesnt even want to play for them.

How is that better than a 24 year old center that led the NBA in points in the paint?

[Edited by - COSSUCKS on 07-05-2007 11:54 AM]

Targeted the 5th or 6th slot? No, don't be silly.
Had a very good shot of landing the 5th or 6th shot? Yes.

OK we have the 6th slot and odds are we draft #6.
Now what? There is no player at #6 that is more dominant than a 24 year old Curry

6th slot landed Durant, buddy
AUTOADVERT
COSSUCKS
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #1569

7/5/2007  4:26 PM
Posted by Bonn1997:
Posted by COSSUCKS:
Posted by Bonn1997:
Posted by COSSUCKS:
Posted by Bonn1997:
Posted by Bonn1997:
Posted by COSSUCKS:
Posted by Bonn1997:

I disagree with your assumption but do you not think that if we had a well-run organization with our draft pick, we would have let Marbury sit and let the kids play more and probably would have had around the 5th or 6th slot and had a very good chance at Oden or Durant?

Whats a very good shot at Oden or Durrant? Like Boston had? Or like Memphis had?

See bold. We wouldn't have been bad enough to end up where Boston or Memphis was.

Oh, I meant 5th or 6th slot in the draft lottery. Maybe you didn't know what I meant by that. Otherwise, I can't understand your post.

So we would have targeted the 5th or 6th slot in order to get Oden/Durant. Not tried for the 1st or second slot? Sure that sounds reasonable.

So lets take out flukes in this years draft slotting which cant be counted on and look at what happened with the 5th and 6th picks

Milwaukee takes a skinny far from ready YI who doesnt even want to play for them.

How is that better than a 24 year old center that led the NBA in points in the paint?

Now what? There is no player at #6 that is more dominant than a 24 year old Curry

Do realize how ridiculous this plan sounds?

What if we ended up with the 7th slot or the 5th slot?

Now not only does your plan count on being able to land in exactly the 6th slot but that 6th slot has to defy huge odds and end up with the 2nd pick every time in your plan not just in a fluke like this year.

This is a great strategy. After all the 6th slot always ends up with the #2 pick.
nyk4ever
Alba Posts: 12
Member: #848
USA
7/5/2007  4:28 PM
Posted by COSSUCKS:

Now not only does your plan count on being able to land in exactly the 6th slot but that 6th slot has to defy huge odds and end up with the 2nd pick every time in your plan not just in a fluke like this year.

This is a great strategy. After all the 6th slot always ends up with the #2 pick.

Putting no protection on the pick or trading it away is also a great way to get into the Top3.
"OMG - did we just go on a two-trade-wining-streak?" -SupremeCommander
MS
Member: #724
7/5/2007  4:34 PM
I don't even see why there is an argument here, had we not won that last game vs. cha we would have probably won the lottery, so thank god for that. But if we are actually trying to build something aside from a team that doesn't flame out in the playoffs.

I would rather begin with Jeff Green and Ty Thomas, and keep building with the draft and cost effective signings.

The Knicks always jump to make dumb signings, Weatherspoon right away, James right away, Jefferies right away (trade kicker nice job isiah). Sub par talent doesn't need to be rushed.

The Bulls will get the better end of the deal in the long run because curry is going to be what he is now, perhaps a little better, but he is not improving. Cap room and the ability to make a good trade is not something the knicks will ever have.......

We have guys like James, Crawford, Jefferies, Richardson a ton of money tied up in guys you can get for 10 cents on the dollar or just rent veterans to play with young kids for a couple of years. Instead we make Randolf trades, Curry trades, Crawford trades and stay in no mans land long enough to play a great chance to actually contend in the future........
COSSUCKS

7/5/2007  4:44 PM
Posted by nyk4ever:
Posted by COSSUCKS:

Putting no protection on the pick or trading it away is also a great way to get into the Top3.

And what did they get?

We got a 24 year old center that led the nba in points in the paint while being menioned by many as a all star candidate and a hopefully dynamic sf in Wilson Chandler.

They got Ty Thomas 5pt-3rpg as a rookie and Jokim Noah (already injured) and are still trying to find other pfs and centers because they know they are bigs that have little offensive skill.
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
7/5/2007  4:46 PM
Posted by COSSUCKS:
Posted by nyk4ever:
Posted by COSSUCKS:

And what did they get?

We got a 24 year old center that led the nba in points in the paint while being menioned by many as a all star candidate and a hopefully dynamic sf in Wilson Chandler.

They got Ty Thomas 5pt-3rpg as a rookie and Jokim Noah (already injured) and are still trying to find other pfs and centers because they know they are bigs that have little offensive skill.

the bulls also got into the 2nd round and swept the defending champs. would curry have helped them more? that's debateable but they did advance for the first time in 3 straight playoffs.
nyk4ever
USA
7/5/2007  4:47 PM
Posted by COSSUCKS:

And what did they get?

I'm not really concerned with who they got, it's who could WE have gotten. Too honestly sit here and try and tell me that it was a good idea to not put lottery protection on that pick just blows my mind, it really does.
MS
Member: #724
7/5/2007  5:02 PM
And with posters making irrelevant points like Thomas and his numbers it explains why everyone is content with isiah and the teams he puts out there

Also
Brandon Roy 16.8pts 4.4rbs 4.0ass 1.2stls 2.04 tos 46%fg 38%3fg
-would be the best guard on the team hands down

Randy Foye 10pts 2.8ass 2.7rbs in 22 minutes a night and big shot taker and great defender
Shane Battier or Rudy Gay 10.8pts 4.5rbs off the bench

This year
Julian Wright
Noah
Thorton

And instead of taking the sure thing in Granger or even Bynum who would have helped rebuilding he takes frye, makes a terrible francis deal and turns a rookie contract into 61 million he is truly a genius. Bad attitudes, terrible contracts, and unrealistic expectations about how good the players he brings in, generally work when your not a big picture guy
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
7/5/2007  5:07 PM
Posted by COSSUCKS:
Posted by Bonn1997:
Posted by COSSUCKS:
Posted by Bonn1997:
Posted by COSSUCKS:
Posted by Bonn1997:
Posted by Bonn1997:
Posted by COSSUCKS:
Posted by Bonn1997:

What??? I'm talking about being in a position to potentially get a franchise player. You keep your consecutive lottery picks instead of trading them for a one-dimensional center, you let the young kids play while Marbury rests, and your team finishes where ever it finishes. We wouldn't have been aiming for the 5th or 6th slot because no one knew those would yield the 1st and 2nd picks. We wouldn't be aiming for any draft slot. We'd be aiming to let the young guys play while the vets heal, especially Marbury, and in the process, we'd be getting a good lottery pick. It just so happens that where we probably would have finished (around 4 to 7) would have given us a great shot at Oden or Durant. If you can't follow that (I'm not saying *agree with* but merely *follow*), there's nothing left to discuss.

[Edited by - bonn1997 on 07-05-2007 5:08 PM]
COSSUCKS

7/5/2007  5:08 PM
Posted by nyk4ever:
Posted by COSSUCKS:

And what did they get?

I'm not really concerned with who they got, it's who could WE have gotten. Too honestly sit here and try and tell me that it was a good idea to not put lottery protection on that pick just blows my mind, it really does.

Oh I see. So we could go back in time and draft in hindsight so that we always end up with the best picks and never have any busts because thats how the draft works for us on this board? That sounds like a great plan. Its too bad reality doesnt work that way though.

I also dont remember saying lottery protection wouldnt have been good. Could you show me where I said anything like that? But Paxson said he refused to do the deal with any lottery protection. Why would he? He wasnt giving up a scrub. He was giving up a very rare post scoring center that was 22 years old who just led his team in scoring. Do you think you get those for the #16-#30 pick in a very weak 2006 draft? We got Balkman at #21. Do you think thats what a 22 year old post scoring center that leads your team in scoring is worth?
COSSUCKS

7/5/2007  5:10 PM
Posted by Bonn1997:
Posted by COSSUCKS:
Posted by Bonn1997:
Posted by COSSUCKS:
Posted by Bonn1997:
Posted by COSSUCKS:
Posted by Bonn1997:
Posted by Bonn1997:
Posted by COSSUCKS:
Posted by Bonn1997:

What??? I'm talking about being in a position to potentially get a franchise player. You keep your consecutive lottery picks instead of trading them for a one-dimensional center, you let the young kids play while Marbury rests, and your team finishes where ever it finishes. We wouldn't have been aiming for the 5th or 6th slot because no one knew those would yield the 1st and 2nd picks. We wouldn't be aiming for any draft slot. We'd be aiming to let the young guys play while the vets heal, especially Marbury, and in the process, we'd be getting a good lottery pick. It just so happens that where we probably would have finished (around 4 to 7) would have given us a great shot at Oden or Durant. If you can't follow that (I'm not saying *agree with* but merely *follow*), there's nothing left to discuss.

[Edited by - bonn1997 on 07-05-2007 5:08 PM]

Dont worry Bonn I know all about you off this board and I totally understand your bitterness. Its cool dawg.
nyk4ever
USA
7/5/2007  11:14 PM
Posted by COSSUCKS:

Oh I see. So we could go back in time and draft in hindsight so that we always end up with the best picks and never have any busts because thats how the draft works for us on this board? That sounds like a great plan. Its too bad reality doesnt work that way though.

I also dont remember saying lottery protection wouldnt have been good. Could you show me where I said anything like that? But Paxson said he refused to do the deal with any lottery protection. Why would he? He wasnt giving up a scrub. He was giving up a very rare post scoring center that was 22 years old who just led his team in scoring. Do you think you get those for the #16-#30 pick in a very weak 2006 draft? We got Balkman at #21. Do you think thats what a 22 year old post scoring center that leads your team in scoring is worth?

Obviously there are going to be bad draft picks, thats not a problem with me. What I have a problem with is giving up more than have to. If you want to believe that Paxson wouldn't have done that deal without lotto protection then fine, but I don't see it. The Knicks were about the only team that could afford to go after Curry and have a messup if he really did have a heart problem. Paxson played his cards right and hosed Isiah. Top3 protection would NOT have been a dealbreaker, you can count on that.

And please don't start talking about how Eddy Curry is a "very rare" post scoring center. Paxson wanted to avoid Curry like the plague. If he was so rare, he wouldn't be trying to trade him for PEANUTS and an unprotected draft pick.

What exactly is your plan anyways? Just let Isiah do anything and everything he wants? I mean it sounds to me like you think that Isiah has such a great track record that he should be given the benefit of the doubt. That's fine you can have your opinion, but I really don't agree with it.
JohnWallace44
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #910
USA
7/5/2007  11:18 PM
You know, Mike Finley would be pretty sweet on this team if we could swing it...
Alan Hahn: Nate Robinson has been on a ridonkulous scoring tear lately (remember when he couldn't hit Jerome James with a Big Mac in early January?)
COSSUCKS

7/6/2007  12:13 AM
Posted by nyk4ever:
Posted by COSSUCKS:

Obviously there are going to be bad draft picks, thats not a problem with me. What I have a problem with is giving up more than have to. If you want to believe that Paxson wouldn't have done that deal without lotto protection then fine, but I don't see it. The Knicks were about the only team that could afford to go after Curry and have a messup if he really did have a heart problem. Paxson played his cards right and hosed Isiah. Top3 protection would NOT have been a dealbreaker, you can count on that.

And please don't start talking about how Eddy Curry is a "very rare" post scoring center. Paxson wanted to avoid Curry like the plague. If he was so rare, he wouldn't be trying to trade him for PEANUTS and an unprotected draft pick.

You see this is why we wont agree.
Pax says that he would not do the deal with lottery protecion. Not me but Pax. Still you say you know better than him.

Then you say Pax was avoiding Curry like the plague. That is the furthust thing from the truth. Pax tried every which way to sign Curry. His owner refused to give a 66 mill contract without insurance. That made sense since Curry had just missed the last 18 games with a heart problem. Pax made him an offer. Speculation had it as the same contract Tyson got. 6 years for 66 mill but it was conditioned on Curry passing a dna test. If he failed he still got $400,000 a year for 50 years. Why would Pax offer that deal to somebody he was avoiding like the plague according to you? AllCurry would have had to do is say yes. Why would Pax have been avoiding him anyway? His team just had a very good season with Curry leading them in scoring. His team was 37-26 with Curry and 10-9 without Curry. Curry got very frustrated at the whole process and asked Pax to trade him to NY where he had been talking to Crawford the whole year. At the press conference Pax was almost crying.
So for you to speak for Pax and say 100% different things than Pax actually said himself just isnt very credible.

BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
7/6/2007  12:49 AM
Why didn't anyone predict Joey Chestnut was going to finally overthrow Kobayashi--someone should have been on that.
RIP Crushalot😞
nyk4ever
USA
7/6/2007  11:19 AM
Posted by COSSUCKS:
Posted by nyk4ever:
Posted by COSSUCKS:

You see this is why we wont agree.
Pax says that he would not do the deal with lottery protecion. Not me but Pax. Still you say you know better than him.

Then you say Pax was avoiding Curry like the plague. That is the furthust thing from the truth. Pax tried every which way to sign Curry. His owner refused to give a 66 mill contract without insurance. That made sense since Curry had just missed the last 18 games with a heart problem. Pax made him an offer. Speculation had it as the same contract Tyson got. 6 years for 66 mill but it was conditioned on Curry passing a dna test. If he failed he still got $400,000 a year for 50 years. Why would Pax offer that deal to somebody he was avoiding like the plague according to you? AllCurry would have had to do is say yes. Why would Pax have been avoiding him anyway? His team just had a very good season with Curry leading them in scoring. His team was 37-26 with Curry and 10-9 without Curry. Curry got very frustrated at the whole process and asked Pax to trade him to NY where he had been talking to Crawford the whole year. At the press conference Pax was almost crying.
So for you to speak for Pax and say 100% different things than Pax actually said himself just isnt very credible.

Believe what you want, but all Paxson was doing was providing good PR for himself and for Eddy Curry, whom he obviously liked on a personal level, which is fine. Either way, there was no reason to give up a non-protected 1st round pick when you are bidding against no-one.

I know, I know, you are going to tell me there were other suitors. I don't belive that to be the case, the only place that Curry could be sent and the contract could be swallowed was to Jim Dolans deep pockets.

We don't agree, it's fine, but don't say my opinion isn't credible becuase you don't agree with it.
COSSUCKS

7/6/2007  1:12 PM
I do not think you are understanding the point.

Your speculation that is not credible is when you said Pax was avoiding Curry like the plague. That just is 100% the opposite of the truth.

You dont hand an agent for a player a 6 year deal (reports said for 66 mill) with the only condition that he pass a dna test and also offer him $400,000 a year for 50 years if he fails if you do not want to keep him. The Bulls owner (who is not loose with money) doesnt risk 20-66 million dollars playing pr games when all Curry had to do was say yes to accept it.

You are totally speculating but I'm telling you not only doesnt your speculation match Pax's own words but it doesnt even meet logic. Bulls fans themselves will tell you Paxx did not want to get rid of Curry. That he was left no choice. You had an owner insisting on a DNA test and a player who did not want to risk a DNA test.
"We put a proposal (reports said it was identical to Tyson Chandler's contract) on the table to keep Eddy a couple of weeks ago. As part of that proposal, we asked Eddy to take the genetic test. And if he failed the genetic test, we were offering him basically what amounts to a lifetime annuity. We were offering him $400,000 a year for 50 years of his life so that he would have an above-average lifestyle that would put him in a position most other people aren’t in. Our intention through that whole process was to show him that we did care about him and that we were concerned about his well-being.

[Edited by - COSSUCKS on 07-06-2007 1:15 PM]
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
7/6/2007  1:18 PM
We were offering him $400,000 a year for 50 years of his life so that he would have an above-average lifestyle that would put him in a position most other people aren’t in. Our intention through that whole process was to show him that we did care about him and that we were concerned about his well-being.

that's ridiculous... that's strictly to cover their own arses in the case Curry's health condition worsens... it amounts to a guaranteed offer of $20 million dollars prorated over 50 years... why in God's name would Curry agree to that when he could easily land a better guaranteed deal w/another NBA team w/o taking a DNA test? for God's sakes, Jerome Big Fat Turd James gets paid $30 mil over 5 years, & he doesn't even play most nights!
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
nyk4ever
USA
7/6/2007  1:37 PM
Posted by TMS:
We were offering him $400,000 a year for 50 years of his life so that he would have an above-average lifestyle that would put him in a position most other people aren’t in. Our intention through that whole process was to show him that we did care about him and that we were concerned about his well-being.

that's ridiculous... that's strictly to cover their own arses in the case Curry's health condition worsens... it amounts to a guaranteed offer of $20 million dollars prorated over 50 years... why in God's name would Curry agree to that when he could easily land a better guaranteed deal w/another NBA team w/o taking a DNA test? for God's sakes, Jerome Big Fat Turd James gets paid $30 mil over 5 years, & he doesn't even play most nights!

Exactly TMS. It was PR and to cover their own butts in case something did happen. Paxson knew the only place where that didn't matter was New York becuase of the deep pockets that Dolan has and the state of the team.
COSSUCKS

7/6/2007  1:45 PM
Posted by TMS:

Do you not understand that if he passed the dna test they already had a contract offer on the table that Curry could sign? It was reportedly identical to Tysons 6 year-66 mill.

Do you understand he would have got a minimum of $400,000 for 50 years if he failed?

There is no way that Jerry Reinsdorf throws away $20-66mill for pr.

That just is not how he works.

If you want to live in denial and speculation thats fine but it ignores all the evidience and logic.

2 contract different offers depending on if the DNA test ws positive or negative.
A team that went 37-26 with Curry and only 10-9 without him
That he was 22 years old and already leading their team in scoring.
Pax's own words. You are saying Pax flat out lied not once but twice despite having absolutely no proof of that.
The Official 2005 NO THANKS CLUB

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy