[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Dajuan Wagner Info -- From Insider
Author Thread
BigSm00th
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #178
USA
3/21/2002  3:49 PM
Dajuan Wagner has a habit of turning heads.

He did it in Camden, N.J., when he scored an amazing 100 points in a high school game.

He did it at Memphis, where as a freshman, he led all scorers with 21.1 ppg this season.

And he did it again a few weeks ago when he stunned NBA officials by saying that he'll likely stay in school for his sophomore season.

"Right now, I think I'm gonna come back. I've still got a lot to learn." So much for "one and done."

At the time, Wagner was still struggling with certain aspects of his game. His shooting percentage, especially from the three-point line, was atrocious. So were his turnovers. At times, Wagner was trying to do too much too soon. Almost everyone agreed that another year can only help.

Wagner, apparently, has done a lot of growing up in the last few weeks. Milt Wagner, Dajuan's father and Memphis's director of basketball operations, told the N.Y. Post Wednesday that his son is likely to enter the draft if the consensus is he's a top-10 pick.

"If he's a top-10 pick, he probably would have to really seriously consider going," said Wagner.

Memphis coach John Calipari, who is also close to losing JUCO recruit Qyntel Woods to the draft, even conceded as much, saying if Wagner's projected as a lottery pick "he's got to come out. But it was very nice for him to say what [that he'd stay in school]."

So is he a lottery pick? Insider talked to two NBA scouts and two league executives. All of them project Wagner in the top 10. Two project him in the top 5. All of them believe that Wagner will be in this year's draft.

But is Wagner ready for the NBA? The answer, uniformly, was no. But who is these days? Wagner is light years ahead of where Kwame Brown was last year when he entered the draft. Still, Wagner may have some incentive to hang around school for a year or two and refine his point guard skills. Insider talked to one scout who thought that if Wagner played one more year at Memphis, he'd be better than Duke's Jason Williams.

"They're both scorers at heart with great handles and court vision," the scout said. "Both have NBA three point range. The difference is that Dajuan has the ability, like Allen Iverson, to break down just about anyone off the dribble. He's virtually unstoppable as a scorer. You can't contain him. When you double team him, more often than not, he finds the open man."

But can he play point guard in the pros? "He needs more work," the scout continued. "He never had to pass the ball in high school. He's still learning. He has the raw skills, but Williams is far more advanced running the point. He'll never be Jason Kidd. But he could be on par with Steve Francis as far as running a team."

Wagner's also a very streaky shooter who at times plays out of control. If he goes pro now, he'll struggle to pick up the point and may end up having to play shooting guard. Given that he measures just 6-foot-2, that's a big turnoff to NBA teams. Wagner's size will continue to be an issue in the NBA, which is why he doesn't shy away from the Iverson comparisons.

"I consider myself that," Wagner told ESPN.com earlier this year. "He's not really the point guard, but a shooting guard. But at times you've got the ball in your hands and can score anywhere on the floor."

Not all of the Iverson comparisons apply. Scouts say Wagner lacks Iverson's blazing quickness and leaping ability. However, he does have 25 pounds on the Answer. And it's all muscle. The kid is strong. That allows him to play a little tougher inside and should allow him to handle defensive assignments against bigger players.

The Post points out that the Knicks have been scouting him extensively. They're not the only team. Obviously, the Grizzlies have a great handle on him. So do the Nuggets, Warriors and Bulls. All four teams could really use a point guard, but the Nuggets and Grizzlies could get away with playing him at the two. Both teams desperately need his scoring.

Is a coming out party the answer for Wagner? Wednesday night he torched BYU in the NIT, going off for 24 points on 9 of 19 shooting with nine assists and only two turnovers. But that was BYU. That was the NIT. Can he light up the likes of Iverson and Francis?

It looks like the answer may be coming sooner rather than later
#Knickstaps
AUTOADVERT
Andrew
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #1
USA
3/21/2002  3:53 PM
If he is truly a top 5 pick, I can't see him staying in school. I mean how much higher can you go? I wouldn't make sense to stay...unless he wanted to wait another 3 years and get his degree.
PURE KNICKS LOVE
VG
Member: #68
Australia
3/21/2002  10:34 PM
Posted by Andrew:

If he is truly a top 5 pick, I can't see him staying in school. I mean how much higher can you go? I wouldn't make sense to stay...unless he wanted to wait another 3 years and get his degree.

Good point... He probably wouldn't even be #1 next year with the likes of LeBron James and that Perkins guy coming out...
BigSm00th
USA
3/21/2002  10:46 PM
I'm praying to God that Wagner comes out this year and the Knicks snag him. Imagine him and LeBron James in the same backcourt, Christ, I'm getting shivers. Picture Allen Iverson and Kobe Bryant/Magic Johnson, same backcourt. Layden can't mess that up, can he?
#Knickstaps
Starks3
Member: #211
USA
3/21/2002  11:43 PM
I'm praying to God that Wagner comes out this year and the Knicks snag him. Imagine him and LeBron James in the same backcourt, Christ, I'm getting shivers. Picture Allen Iverson and Kobe Bryant/Magic Johnson, same backcourt. Layden can't mess that up, can he?

Dude how bad do you think the Knicks are going to be that they are all of sudden going to get Lebron, I bet all the money in the world the Knicks will not be that bad next year that all of a sudden their going to get the first pick.
Cursed no more!!! Knicks are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
nyvector16
Member: #130
USA
3/22/2002  1:45 AM
I agree with Starks3... I imagine there will probably be one or two big trades for us this summer... and unless we unload talent for picks (unlikely because of our Contracts) there is no way we will suck like we did this year... On top of the fact we will have a nice addition to our talent pool from this draft... If at this point we had won 5 or 6 more games we would be in contention for a playoff spot... Mark my words.. Unless the knicks decide to scrap the season from day one to get into the Lebron James race they will not stand a chance to land him otherwise... I say scrap the season... but I doubt most would agree...
Starks3
USA
3/22/2002  11:13 AM
I agree with Starks3... I imagine there will probably be one or two big trades for us this summer... and unless we unload talent for picks (unlikely because of our Contracts) there is no way we will suck like we did this year... On top of the fact we will have a nice addition to our talent pool from this draft... If at this point we had won 5 or 6 more games we would be in contention for a playoff spot... Mark my words.. Unless the knicks decide to scrap the season from day one to get into the Lebron James race they will not stand a chance to land him otherwise... I say scrap the season... but I doubt most would agree...
Exactly, players have way too much pride to tank a season and I know the knicks will have different players in there in with really good talet and it starts with this yeras draft pick, and works it way down with trading one of the big 3 for good players. The knicks will never get Lebron James, it just cant happen. There is too much pride for NY and too much pride in players to tank a season.
BigSm00th
USA
3/22/2002  12:35 PM
Would everyone PLEASE stop talking about this supposed "Big 3." Marcus Camby would be a decent power forward, however, he plays center when he CAN play. How many games has he played? No more then 62 a season. Sprewell and Houston aren't even perennial all-stars, how you can call that tandem the "Big 3" is quite laughable. Don't be surprised when Camby gets dealt this offseason along with Sprewell. I think the Chaney re-signing is writing on the wall, the Knicks will tank it next season. Too much pride? Come on, Spree and Thomas are the only ones the team that play with heart. Houston could care less if they win, he's the richest guy on the court most games. Camby can do diddly squat sitting on the bench in street clothes. Who else has heart? Ward? Weatherspoon? Jackson? The season shall be tanked.
#Knickstaps
Starks3
USA
3/22/2002  2:06 PM
Would everyone PLEASE stop talking about this supposed "Big 3." Marcus Camby would be a decent power forward, however, he plays center when he CAN play. How many games has he played? No more then 62 a season. Sprewell and Houston aren't even perennial all-stars, how you can call that tandem the "Big 3" is quite laughable. Don't be surprised when Camby gets dealt this offseason along with Sprewell. I think the Chaney re-signing is writing on the wall, the Knicks will tank it next season. Too much pride? Come on, Spree and Thomas are the only ones the team that play with heart. Houston could care less if they win, he's the richest guy on the court most games. Camby can do diddly squat sitting on the bench in street clothes. Who else has heart? Ward? Weatherspoon? Jackson? The season shall be tanked.
Do you honestly think the Knicks managemnt will go through another playoff less season. In the offseason they will do anyhign to get to the playoffs and they will lose tons of money next year if they tank it and even if they do tank it since when has a team with the worst record gotten the first pick?????
it hasent happend in a while and Dolan cant afford to tank a season for PING PONG BALLS!! cause thats all the will get is more ping pong balls, this is the NBA not frigen street ball players dont tank seasons!!!!
You are nuts to think so, So no matter how good this lebron guy is, the knicks are not going to get him!!!!!!!!!!
Its immpossible
Caseloads
Member: #41
3/22/2002  3:22 PM
Posted by Starks3:
Do you honestly think the Knicks managemnt will go through another playoff less season. In the offseason they will do anyhign to get to the playoffs and they will lose tons of money next year if they tank it and even if they do tank it since when has a team with the worst record gotten the first pick?????
it hasent happend in a while and Dolan cant afford to tank a season for PING PONG BALLS!! cause thats all the will get is more ping pong balls, this is the NBA not frigen street ball players dont tank seasons!!!!
You are nuts to think so, So no matter how good this lebron guy is, the knicks are not going to get him!!!!!!!!!!
Its immpossible
Watch the movie Black and White, where ALLAN HOUSTON DOES STAR IN THE MOVIE AND TOSS GAMES INTENTIONALLY.
Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
3/22/2002  3:28 PM
I definitly like him and hope that he comes out. We have a legit shot at him and would probably get either him or Gooden which would be really good. Williams and Ming may be slightly out of reach, but it's good to know that there will be promising talent still available when we draft.
Starks3
USA
3/22/2002  5:35 PM
Watch the movie Black and White, where ALLAN HOUSTON DOES STAR IN THE MOVIE AND TOSS GAMES INTENTIONALLY
KEY WORD.....MOVIE
nykfan37
Member: #118
3/22/2002  7:59 PM
we're going to be playoff less for a while guys, there is no trade we can do that will make us better
BigSm00th
USA
3/22/2002  9:02 PM
They aren't raising ticket prices next year. We are going to be bad for a few years. Dolan needs money? Ha, the guy's pockets are endless. They'll suck it up, keep this team, which is bad, it's not like they're in a losing streak, they're not talented, and next year we could finish 10 games under .500 and Stern would give us number one. The biggest prospect in years would go to Stern's biggest market. That is how it will go down.
#Knickstaps
Caseloads
3/23/2002  3:33 AM
Posted by BigSm00th:

They aren't raising ticket prices next year. We are going to be bad for a few years. Dolan needs money? Ha, the guy's pockets are endless. They'll suck it up, keep this team, which is bad, it's not like they're in a losing streak, they're not talented, and next year we could finish 10 games under .500 and Stern would give us number one. The biggest prospect in years would go to Stern's biggest market. That is how it will go down.
it's the truth.
tkf
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #87
3/23/2002  10:48 PM
Bull Crap!! As Much as I like James if the knicks have a good draft, meaning adding another 1st round pick to their high pick and second rounder, this team will be good enough to make the playoffs period!! No way, no how we are bad enough to land James!!!
Anyone who sits around and waits for the lottery to better themselves, either in real life or in sports, Is a Loser............... TKF
BigSm00th
USA
3/23/2002  11:35 PM
The most developed first rounder will be Drew Gooden. What will he average, 13 points and a few boards? That increase will move us to the playoffs? I don't think so, they are still billions of dollars over the cap, meaning they're trading Spree, Houston, or Camby, or a combination of the three, or all, this offseason. It's starting over. Let us all accept rebuilding. Just breath in, breath out, and say "The Knicks are rebuilding," it's OK. This team is going nowhere as is.
#Knickstaps
Starks3
USA
3/24/2002  1:19 PM
The most developed first rounder will be Drew Gooden. What will he average, 13 points and a few boards? That increase will move us to the playoffs? I don't think so, they are still billions of dollars over the cap, meaning they're trading Spree, Houston, or Camby, or a combination of the three, or all, this offseason. It's starting over. Let us all accept rebuilding. Just breath in, breath out, and say "The Knicks are rebuilding," it's OK. This team is going nowhere as is.

you are still nuts to think the lottery is fixed. THE KNICKS ARE NOT GETTING JAMES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
SO BREATH IN AND BREATH OUT AND SAY "THE KNICKS WILL NOT GET JAMES"
Caseloads
3/24/2002  2:56 PM
Posted by Starks3:

you are still nuts to think the lottery is fixed. THE KNICKS ARE NOT GETTING JAMES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
SO BREATH IN AND BREATH OUT AND SAY "THE KNICKS WILL NOT GET JAMES"
The lotto is fixed you retread. How do you think Jordan got the #1 pick last year? How do you think San Antone got Timmy D? How do you think we got EWING?
BigSm00th
USA
3/24/2002  3:09 PM
San Antonio missed the playoffs by a few games and got the number one pick. Jordan getting it last year was Stern's way of saying thank you very much for making me a billionaire. Come on dude, it is. The NBA probably has the order and Stern modifies it a little to his liking. I don't know why you wouldn't want LeBron, it sounds like you're against him. If you were the GM you'd have traded for Starks, who by the way, only has one testicle. Does anyone find that amusing? He had to get one removed because of some condition, but his whole bad boy image just got deflated with that.
#Knickstaps
Dajuan Wagner Info -- From Insider

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy