[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Some Rose, IQ discussions going on around league
Author Thread
ESOMKnicks
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #6064

11/25/2022  5:23 AM
Alpha1971 wrote:
Knicks have many pics on the horizon plus Rokas incoming soon. If the Knicks feel they can draft more complete players then IQ or even just his replacement why pay IQ bigger money ? Its not wise to keep him and other players like others on big deals if they don't feel they are the team that will make them competitive. IQ while he still has value may be moved. It makes sense to me. Your pov has merit as well. It all depends on how the team views IQ. Yes, Evan and Rose are expiring but that doesn't mean you want a overpriced role player to replace them on the roster.

We have no idea whether a pick we would get for IQ will turn into someone who is ready to contribute in his first year the way IQ is contributing today. Plus, unless our plan is to tank for Victor, IQ is very valuable to our team, in that he provides insurance at the PG slot in case of a Rose/Brunson injury, while in the meantime effectively filling both guard spots. Or do you think that McBride is already a better backup PG than IQ?

And the best way of not ending up with IQ as an overpriced role player is simply not to pay him more than he is worth.

AUTOADVERT
Alpha1971
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #9006

11/25/2022  7:35 AM
ESOMKnicks wrote:
Alpha1971 wrote:
Knicks have many pics on the horizon plus Rokas incoming soon. If the Knicks feel they can draft more complete players then IQ or even just his replacement why pay IQ bigger money ? Its not wise to keep him and other players like others on big deals if they don't feel they are the team that will make them competitive. IQ while he still has value may be moved. It makes sense to me. Your pov has merit as well. It all depends on how the team views IQ. Yes, Evan and Rose are expiring but that doesn't mean you want a overpriced role player to replace them on the roster.

We have no idea whether a pick we would get for IQ will turn into someone who is ready to contribute in his first year the way IQ is contributing today. Plus, unless our plan is to tank for Victor, IQ is very valuable to our team, in that he provides insurance at the PG slot in case of a Rose/Brunson injury, while in the meantime effectively filling both guard spots. Or do you think that McBride is already a better backup PG than IQ?

And the best way of not ending up with IQ as an overpriced role player is simply not to pay him more than he is worth.

Well maybe this is Leon Rose establishing IQs market value. IQ shooting numbers are not that great. He is inconsistent and maybe the deal price for a trade versus extension contract are being calculated. I don't know if Deuce or Rokas will give us what IQ will or a draft pick next year will. But are we winning the championship after next draft ? Yet objectively look at IQs shooting numbers and I think those figures can be surpassed. Think the team can go in multiple directions. Maybe the use IQ as a inducement to shed Randal. I don't know but I can understand it. I would just love to trade Julius and use RJ at the back up 4 and 3, and use Cam and Grimes at the 2. With IQ playing the 1 and 2 as well. But incoming Rokas, first and seconds are in bound soon with rookie deals. I wonder if Rokas has trade value

Alpha1971

11/25/2022  7:44 AM
Atlanta traded Huerter and Cam in successive years. IQ is not more valuable then them in terms of potential. Plus other teams with young talent and incoming draft picks will be looking to trade pre extension rookies as well just because of limited roster spots. Man OKC for example with so many picks will have a few talented rookie deal contract players they won't be able to keep either. Let's just hope if we trade IQ they do so wisely. I'm sort of bullish on Cam, What if IQ and a future pick or two gets us an other talent like Cam for another position to build with. Don't get attached to any player right now. No one on the team is untouchable not even Brunson although he might be the closest to it on the team
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
11/25/2022  9:57 AM
Alpha1971 wrote:Atlanta traded Huerter and Cam in successive years. IQ is not more valuable then them in terms of potential. Plus other teams with young talent and incoming draft picks will be looking to trade pre extension rookies as well just because of limited roster spots. Man OKC for example with so many picks will have a few talented rookie deal contract players they won't be able to keep either. Let's just hope if we trade IQ they do so wisely. I'm sort of bullish on Cam, What if IQ and a future pick or two gets us an other talent like Cam for another position to build with. Don't get attached to any player right now. No one on the team is untouchable not even Brunson although he might be the closest to it on the team

Good take. Fact is neither of IQ or Obi are starting nor close. Many might disagree with Obi but thats more about frustration with Randle than OBI. His rebounding and non defensive astounding is an issues. highlight dunks skew the narrative a bit.

I wish it was different and he was kicking ass and moving Randle off the court.

martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
11/25/2022  12:11 PM    LAST EDITED: 11/25/2022  12:11 PM
Alpha1971 wrote:
martin wrote:
Alpha1971 wrote:Maxey is the better athlete but they can provide similar numbers. IQ can be kept and extended only if we trade one of RJ or Randal or Mitch if you don't want to cap out the team at a 500 team. IQs 3 pt shooting so far has been too low to go with a big three who shoots low from 3. IQ can be replaced in house by Grimes and now Deuce with Rokas and future first rounders next draft or even second rounders. So I'm ok trading IQ but would prefer to use IQ and picks together with RJ or Randle, or Mitch for an improvement to the starting 5.

I dont quite understand this underlying statement and I've heard it repeated by beat writers too.

Every team in the league but 2 are over the cap this year. A team either operates over the cap or under the cap to maximize their situation. Every year, there will only be a couple of teams that are right at the margin of being under the cap enough to sign a free agent and then extend their own players whose cap holds are small enough - the Knicks were a good example of that last offseason. When you consider cap holds and extension of core free agents, there are only a handful of teams that operate way under the cap.

The Knicks in particular, without any trades, will have Rose and Fournier coming off the cap to free up $35M over next 2 years.

Knicks have to make decisions on Cam this upcoming offseason and have until 2024 to figure out what to do with IQ and Obi.

What does RJ, Mitch, Randle have anything to do with anything in regards to cap space and the Knicks ability to resign IQ/Obi? I can't see any unless you think the Knicks MUST get under the cap, which they have not shown.

Projected cap space for 2023-24 will be $134M, Knicks are already over cap for next year (barring a huge dump of Fournier/Randle/Rose salary). New NBA TV contract up in 2024 may pump up the cap to $175M and that may be smoothed in over the 2024 or 2025 season, so think 2024-25 will be around $160M? 2025-26 $175M?

In addition to all of this, you really only want to operate under the cap (outside of the tank-o-licious teams) when you target a specific free agent and have to KNOW they are not extending before then.

The whole We can't resign IQ unless we move someone else ASAP makes zero sense to me. What am I missing?

Your main point was about IQ and the cap situation and needing to move other players in a likely simultaneous transaction. You didn't really address that.

Keeping or not keeping IQ based on his skill and what he contributes and what his potential could be based on what type of contract he is offered or willing to accept is a different discussion altogether.

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
Alpha1971

11/25/2022  1:47 PM
martin wrote:
Alpha1971 wrote:
martin wrote:
Alpha1971 wrote:Maxey is the better athlete but they can provide similar numbers. IQ can be kept and extended only if we trade one of RJ or Randal or Mitch if you don't want to cap out the team at a 500 team. IQs 3 pt shooting so far has been too low to go with a big three who shoots low from 3. IQ can be replaced in house by Grimes and now Deuce with Rokas and future first rounders next draft or even second rounders. So I'm ok trading IQ but would prefer to use IQ and picks together with RJ or Randle, or Mitch for an improvement to the starting 5.

I dont quite understand this underlying statement and I've heard it repeated by beat writers too.

Every team in the league but 2 are over the cap this year. A team either operates over the cap or under the cap to maximize their situation. Every year, there will only be a couple of teams that are right at the margin of being under the cap enough to sign a free agent and then extend their own players whose cap holds are small enough - the Knicks were a good example of that last offseason. When you consider cap holds and extension of core free agents, there are only a handful of teams that operate way under the cap.

The Knicks in particular, without any trades, will have Rose and Fournier coming off the cap to free up $35M over next 2 years.

Knicks have to make decisions on Cam this upcoming offseason and have until 2024 to figure out what to do with IQ and Obi.

What does RJ, Mitch, Randle have anything to do with anything in regards to cap space and the Knicks ability to resign IQ/Obi? I can't see any unless you think the Knicks MUST get under the cap, which they have not shown.

Projected cap space for 2023-24 will be $134M, Knicks are already over cap for next year (barring a huge dump of Fournier/Randle/Rose salary). New NBA TV contract up in 2024 may pump up the cap to $175M and that may be smoothed in over the 2024 or 2025 season, so think 2024-25 will be around $160M? 2025-26 $175M?

In addition to all of this, you really only want to operate under the cap (outside of the tank-o-licious teams) when you target a specific free agent and have to KNOW they are not extending before then.

The whole We can't resign IQ unless we move someone else ASAP makes zero sense to me. What am I missing?

Your main point was about IQ and the cap situation and needing to move other players in a likely simultaneous transaction. You didn't really address that.

Keeping or not keeping IQ based on his skill and what he contributes and what his potential could be based on what type of contract he is offered or willing to accept is a different discussion altogether.

All the points go into the issue of whether we trade IQ

Philc1
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #8897

11/25/2022  10:27 PM
gradyandrew wrote:
Philc1 wrote:
Jmpasq wrote:
foosballnick wrote:
Clean wrote:As time goes by the more I am becoming skeptical about this FO. A lot of suspect decisions have been going on. If they are going to trade the young players anyway why keep them out of the Mitchell trade. No one is going to give us anything special for them because we are the Knicks and that never happens for us. Despite his poor shooting overall Quick has been apart of most of the best performing group of players on the team. Trading him and keeping the players who are continually a net negative like Evan is a quick way to get a FO fired.

You're starting to become skeptical about the FO based on media rumors and nothing special ever happens because we are the Knicks.....LOL

Rose and this front office inherited a team that won 21 games and finished 12th in conference. Trier, Iggy, Ellington, Knox, Frank, Dotson and Harkless as well as an ineffective DSJ were in the rotation - and in many cases getting significant or starter minutes. Ask yourself - how much better is the roster now than the one that was inherited - also factoring in the retained/increased draft assets. Also - was anyone expecting the Knicks to have progressed from a bottom of the bottom feeder into a championship roster after 2 seasons with this FO? Perhaps fans need to put the 2020 COVID season on the shelf as an outlier due to weird circumstances and lower expectations in terms of what progression looks like.

Seems to me that some Knicks fans are caught up in micro analysis instead of macro view. The previous FO tried the Tanking thing....fans were unhappy and it failed. This FO is trying the slow tinkering type build - but its not fast enough for many fans who are impatient and still unhappy.

Let's review the net players that Leon has added to the current roster:

Brunson
Obi
Reddish
I Hart
Rose
Fournier
Sims
Grimes
Deuce

Tinkering involves adjustments to mistakes along the way....and every FO makes some mistakes. But on the whole, with the possible exception of Fournier - these players have all been a net positive upgrade vs. the players inherited by the FO and now discarded. If Rose is sending out feelers to try and leverage some of the current roster for an A Player - I'm all for it - as this is part of what the slow tinkering build process should be.

How did that team even win 21 games? That roster was so bad. The problem is this front office and the previous one missed when there were star players to be had late in the lottery. The team will continue to go nowhere until they get a star through the draft.

The roster was not that bad, Fizdale was just an absolute disaster head coach. We basically have the same starting front court now with Randle, RJ and Mitch

Coaching is so important in the nba and nfl. You go from a totally inept coach like Fizz and start out 4-19, then get better under Mike Miller then 10 games over .500 and playoffs following year with Thibs.

Bottom Line: Fizz is the worst coach I’ve ever seen and I lived through watching Kurt Rambis

Knicks were tanking for Zion all season. Not sure if you can fault the guy 100% for that. Zion + KD + Kyrie

Fizz sucks and is toxic. He’s only good at tanking

Alpha1971

11/25/2022  10:38 PM
IQ shouldn't be a player we should be too attached to. A player like him is a dime a dozen. We need to get a shooter who is 6'5" or taller.
martin
USA
12/2/2022  12:57 PM
The story of IQ: soooo good defensively. Getting MUCH better with his PG duties IMO. Still a work in progress on the deep shooting and that's OK, it's the easier thing to develop.

Nalod
USA
12/2/2022  12:59 PM
martin wrote:The story of IQ: soooo good defensively. Getting MUCH better with his PG duties IMO. Still a work in progress on the deep shooting and that's OK, it's the easier thing to develop.

The hard work there will keep him in the league longer. Good career move! He is keeping Deuce on the bench.

martin
USA
12/2/2022  1:26 PM
Nalod wrote:
martin wrote:The story of IQ: soooo good defensively. Getting MUCH better with his PG duties IMO. Still a work in progress on the deep shooting and that's OK, it's the easier thing to develop.

The hard work there will keep him in the league longer. Good career move! He is keeping Deuce on the bench.

He is also making Rose dispensable. Maybe not this year but certainly next.

martin
USA
12/9/2022  11:30 AM    LAST EDITED: 12/9/2022  11:31 AM
Macri leaning into the space left by Berman, merely asking why the Knicks FO would consider attaching IQ in a trade or "shove him off" knowing well enough that that's not really the scenario and both he and Fred playing off of each other for more social media content clicks.

For me it's disappointing. I'm glad Macri and his crew are starting to really monetize their content. Big grey area when you are promoting click by asking leading questions where you should know better. Eh, not for me and he is fading from my interest level. Welcome to the click scrum, wish you were doing better.

Fred barely pushing back and hesitant to cross that line with a foil he knows helps him too.

It's thin, really thin.

Nalod
USA
12/9/2022  12:33 PM
martin wrote:Macri leaning into the space left by Berman, merely asking why the Knicks FO would consider attaching IQ in a trade or "shove him off" knowing well enough that that's not really the scenario and both he and Fred playing off of each other for more social media content clicks.

For me it's disappointing. I'm glad Macri and his crew are starting to really monetize their content. Big grey area when you are promoting click by asking leading questions where you should know better. Eh, not for me and he is fading from my interest level. Welcome to the click scrum, wish you were doing better.

Fred barely pushing back and hesitant to cross that line with a foil he knows helps him too.

It's thin, really thin.

I mentioned this very thing a few weeks ago about his diluted content. I stopped listneing to this podcast. Really was nothing there. "Super chat" conjecture no better than what we do here.
The retweets on the UK by fringe bloggers does add the image of it being legit but its not. "Ritsholzman" and tommy beer stuff really is clickbait but I see how fans get mad by the headlines and run with it.

martin
USA
12/9/2022  1:11 PM
Nalod wrote:
martin wrote:Macri leaning into the space left by Berman, merely asking why the Knicks FO would consider attaching IQ in a trade or "shove him off" knowing well enough that that's not really the scenario and both he and Fred playing off of each other for more social media content clicks.

It's thin, really thin.

I mentioned this very thing a few weeks ago about his diluted content. I stopped listneing to this podcast. Really was nothing there. "Super chat" conjecture no better than what we do here.
The retweets on the UK by fringe bloggers does add the image of it being legit but its not. "Ritsholzman" and tommy beer stuff really is clickbait but I see how fans get mad by the headlines and run with it.

I think some of their stuff is very good and I wish them luck in regaining back all of their efforts via sponsors and such. It fades for me when they are knowingly being disingenuous, it's not a good look IMHO and just not for me; it'll capture eyeballs though, that's the name of the $ game.

martin
USA
1/5/2023  3:37 PM
Glad we get this out of the way

fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
1/5/2023  3:56 PM
Knicks FO will sign him to a good contract for both sides. Lets see what kind of player he becomes. This is the joy of the process

Maybe he kinda is what he is now... streaky shooter but do-all combo guard who just helps you win games.

OR

What if he goes off for a 20 a game off the bench, does so in the playoffs and is a key piece in getting us to the conference finals where the Bucks were just too much. Remember when Sam Cassel killed us in the Rockets finals? Like that

Its possible none of these guys are stars but at least now we will find out. IQ has shown to be a legit defensive threat and that's a game changer to me. When your shot isnt falling but you can go out and get 15 assists or 15 rebounds or a bunch of steals is what makes you a winning player imo.

"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
Nalod
USA
1/5/2023  4:53 PM
fishmike wrote:Knicks FO will sign him to a good contract for both sides. Lets see what kind of player he becomes. This is the joy of the process

Maybe he kinda is what he is now... streaky shooter but do-all combo guard who just helps you win games.

OR

What if he goes off for a 20 a game off the bench, does so in the playoffs and is a key piece in getting us to the conference finals where the Bucks were just too much. Remember when Sam Cassel killed us in the Rockets finals? Like that

Its possible none of these guys are stars but at least now we will find out. IQ has shown to be a legit defensive threat and that's a game changer to me. When your shot isnt falling but you can go out and get 15 assists or 15 rebounds or a bunch of steals is what makes you a winning player imo.

WE like what we know and know what we like. Im cool with him signed long term and contributing but not lost that things happen and trades exist. NEw players are new opportunities also.
THat IQ can play to or exceed his contract makes him valuable and thus contributes to winning or the best interests of the club. Same for any other knick!
Even Randle.

ToddTT
Alba Posts: 52
Member: #105
1/5/2023  4:58 PM
Each week that passes I’m becoming a bigger fan of IQ.

His PG play is improved.

His shot is falling more consistently.

And I LOVE the rebounding. I even boldfaced it!!!

I would hate to see him on another team.

HofstraBBall
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #6192

1/5/2023  5:31 PM    LAST EDITED: 1/5/2023  5:32 PM
fishmike wrote:Knicks FO will sign him to a good contract for both sides. Lets see what kind of player he becomes. This is the joy of the process

OR

IQ is the type of player every team needs. Kid can score, has uber confidence and can defend. (The next Maxey)
Think he is exactly the type of player we should commit to. Regardless of his offense, which I think can be elite, he is so much more.
This is my criteria for long term commitment. Players that are multi dimensional assets.
Feel the ones that are not (Obi and Deuce) may be second tier and ones that the FO will move on from.
Not saying they can't change, but that they need to in order to get commitment from the Knicks or any other team.

'Knicks focus should be on players that have grown up playing soccer or cricket' - Triplethreat 8/28/2020
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

1/5/2023  8:39 PM
Agree with those who dont want to see IQ moved unless its in a deal for a star in their prime (or LeBron)

In a couple of seasons, with sufficient PT, I believe IQ could be a borderline all-star. Has the skills. Dont want to see IQ traded for a role player, or in a deal that doesnt vault us to contender status. Would be a waste of homegrown talent, on a lateral move.

Some Rose, IQ discussions going on around league

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy