[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Fire Thibs
Author Thread
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
11/23/2022  3:23 PM
Sambakick wrote:I started this thread after watching the Knicks squander huge leads and be non-competitive vs OKC, Brooklyn, Atlanta, Milwaukee et al. I watched as Thibs made RJ and JB accountable on the bench while Randle payed no price for his miscues and lapses. I watched guys like Fournier play minutes instead of a healthy Grimes. There was a lot of weird stuff happening and I saw this road trip as a good point to ease in an assistant coach and rally the team like the NETS got when firing Nash and promoting Vaughn.

I want to say unequivocally that I WAS WRONG about firing him now. Thibs still has his flaws, and we probably will transition off of Thibs at some point. Randle and RJ playing non-existent defense this year isn't helping Thibs but he has earned at least until the all-star break, showing he can mix and match and pull wins out of thin air on the second night of b2bs on the road. The team is playing for him. There are still flaws but most of the guys haven't tuned him out. Randle is an uncoachable POS so it's hard to pin that on Thibs, but THibs has OBI waiting to it's also hard not to blame Thibs when Randle is out there looking lost on D.

Lock this thread. He shouldn't be fired. Yet.

Grimes was no healthy. Period. As soon as he could play he has been. Just because he on the bench did not mean he was able to go.
If we assume OBI an step in and do Randles job, then thats one assumption. "Pay a price"? WE punishing him? Hold him accountable?
Thibs path to winning is to play Randle. You can question it but thats his call.

AUTOADVERT
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
11/23/2022  3:44 PM
Sambakick wrote:I started this thread after watching the Knicks squander huge leads and be non-competitive vs OKC, Brooklyn, Atlanta, Milwaukee et al. I watched as Thibs made RJ and JB accountable on the bench while Randle payed no price for his miscues and lapses. I watched guys like Fournier play minutes instead of a healthy Grimes. There was a lot of weird stuff happening and I saw this road trip as a good point to ease in an assistant coach and rally the team like the NETS got when firing Nash and promoting Vaughn.

I want to say unequivocally that I WAS WRONG about firing him now. Thibs still has his flaws, and we probably will transition off of Thibs at some point. Randle and RJ playing non-existent defense this year isn't helping Thibs but he has earned at least until the all-star break, showing he can mix and match and pull wins out of thin air on the second night of b2bs on the road. The team is playing for him. There are still flaws but most of the guys haven't tuned him out. Randle is an uncoachable POS so it's hard to pin that on Thibs, but THibs has OBI waiting to it's also hard not to blame Thibs when Randle is out there looking lost on D.

Thibs works hard. Players play hard. Guys are getting better... people gotta temper their expectations with coaches. This is not a high talent team. Its a team building an asset base in hopes of a big talent upgrade. You gotta see big picture. Thibs is good. When we outgrow him we will know. Long way from that.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
Philc1
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #8897

11/23/2022  3:45 PM
martin wrote:
Philc1 wrote:
TPercy wrote:This fire Thibs stuff is nonsense. We are at a talent deficient compared to rest of league

Not really. We’re about a little bit above average. My only 2 complaints with Thibs is he’s limited on the offensive side since he’s such a defensive minded coach and he overused players sometimes. He ran butler into the ground and is doing the same with RJ

Far from it.

Knicks clear bottom 5th in terms of ceiling talent, both in terms of regular season success and long term potential.

Ok but as fas as talent talent we middle of the pack.

martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
11/23/2022  7:13 PM
Philc1 wrote:
martin wrote:
Philc1 wrote:
TPercy wrote:This fire Thibs stuff is nonsense. We are at a talent deficient compared to rest of league

Not really. We’re about a little bit above average. My only 2 complaints with Thibs is he’s limited on the offensive side since he’s such a defensive minded coach and he overused players sometimes. He ran butler into the ground and is doing the same with RJ

Far from it.

Knicks clear bottom 5th in terms of ceiling talent, both in terms of regular season success and long term potential.

Ok but as fas as talent talent we middle of the pack.

You put the word talent together twice as if that has some sort of meaning? Type out some substance man.

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

11/23/2022  7:32 PM

I will say it's still early. But short of controversy where Thibs was discovered stalking Knick City Dancers, I don't think you can dump Thibs now. Just from the perception alone. What would any decent coaching candidate with options think if the Knicks fired Thibs with the roster he currently has now. The guys did win coach of the year. He deserves a longer rope to hang himself with.

Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
HofstraBBall
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #6192

11/23/2022  8:20 PM

You may need to add a few more to the "I was wrong" narrative.
RJ was held accountable and Randle wasn't?
RJ averages the most minutes on the team.
More like good coaches don't knee jerk their proven producers to the bench for unproven ones.
EF was benched due to ineffectiveness and because Cam's played. Nothing to do with Grimes.
Grimes was not healthy until recently. He came back early and had soreness.
RJ and Randle don't play defense? RJ is usually on opposing team's best player?
Obi plays good defense?

Sounds like you started the thread because Thibs did not bench Randle for Obi?
Why not just say that?
Fyi, you think Thibs should bench Obi after going 2-20 in last three games?
I mean you did say good coaches hold players accountable.

'Knicks focus should be on players that have grown up playing soccer or cricket' - Triplethreat 8/28/2020
blkexec
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #748
11/24/2022  3:15 PM

I went from fire Randle, Then Thibs, now it’s the FO. Soon I will move from the FO to fire these fans.

The important part is you admit it. Some of these jokers aren’t man enough to do that. Respect.

I’m also turning away from Thibs as the scape goat. He’s also made some in game changes and substitutions that helped us win games. He adapted to all the injuries. He made the unpopular move amongst the FO to sit EF even though the FO signed him. Never thought he would do that. Kemba didn’t have a large contract hanging over his head like EF. Playing sims and deuce. Then starting grimes as soon as he could. So thibs is trying and winning.

Born in Brooklyn, Raised in Queens, Lives in Maryland. The future is bright, I'm a Knicks fan for life!
Philc1
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #8897

11/25/2022  11:04 PM
BigDaddyG wrote:

I will say it's still early. But short of controversy where Thibs was discovered stalking Knick City Dancers, I don't think you can dump Thibs now. Just from the perception alone. What would any decent coaching candidate with options think if the Knicks fired Thibs with the roster he currently has now. The guys did win coach of the year. He deserves a longer rope to hang himself with.

Thibs is safe even if we miss the playoffs this season as long as we win around 37 games

wargames
Member: #6053

12/3/2022  3:13 PM
The algorithm gives and the algorithm takes away
fwk00
Member: #6048

12/3/2022  3:21 PM
Philc1 wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:

Thibs is safe even if we miss the playoffs this season as long as we win around 37 games

What is the point of firing Thibs?

To win two or three or five more games?

We need talent.

WWW and Rose are an issue.

Comsolidate this roster - fast.

Get a Jae Crowder. Get Westbrook. Get some under-appreciated second unit players or discontents to get in here and put a fire under the asses of some of these kids.

To hell with tanking. To hell with firing Thibs.

Get competitive. Period. I don't care about wins anymore. Get mean, G'dammit.

wargames

12/3/2022  3:35 PM
fwk00 wrote:
Philc1 wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:

We need talent.

Get a Jae Crowder. Get Westbrook. Get some under-appreciated second unit players or discontents to get in here and put a fire under the asses of some of these kids.

You fire Thibs because he is bad at his job.

fwk00

12/3/2022  3:46 PM    LAST EDITED: 12/3/2022  3:47 PM
wargames wrote:
fwk00 wrote:
Philc1 wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:

We need talent.

And you think the talent on the floor will play better defense with another coach? Because?

Please. Consolidate this roster. I've said it since last year same time.

Clear the roster for 5 highly talented undesirable talents, G-League, walkons, whoever, and accumulate draft picks - any and all.

franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
12/3/2022  3:46 PM
fire thibs because are these players this bad? I don't believe it.

Fire Thibs because RJ is regressing and we just handed him $120m.

Fire Thibs to be kind to Thibs- he looked dead out there- put him out of his misery.

Fire Thibs because if it's the players, you have to fire Rose and the FO- and Dolan needs to find that out before he fires Rose et al.

Uptown
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #1883

12/3/2022  4:04 PM
Watching these games, it seems obvious that Thibs does not have full team buy-in.
fwk00

12/3/2022  4:09 PM
franco12 wrote:fire thibs because are these players this bad? I don't believe it.

Fire Thibs because RJ is regressing and we just handed him $120m.

Fire Thibs to be kind to Thibs- he looked dead out there- put him out of his misery.

Fire Thibs because if it's the players, you have to fire Rose and the FO- and Dolan needs to find that out before he fires Rose et al.

Look Rose has to hire a GM and say on day 1, "You are being fired in two years and will be well paid., Go out and be crazy. I need Wins and I will cover your ass for two years., Get out of my sight, I see nothing. Just do it."

Clean
Member: #743
12/3/2022  4:29 PM
People keep on saying to keep Thibs because the team has a talent problem. My problem with Thibs is he is not maximizing the talent we have. Have you ever noticed that almost no one we sign builds value? Whoever we sign in free agency is like a freshly bought car. Once we get our hands on them their value drops. We never use their skill set. Obi has been forced to be a shooter. RJ has been playing with the starters and they don't compliment his game at all. Hart has been a great big passer everywhere he played has been turned into a rim running big. Randle and JB are actually really good at PNR but we still force ISO Randle's which he is near the bottom of the league at. There are poor roster management all over the place. He did well benching Evan though. His defense is too bad to be allowed to play when his shooting has been off. I been talking about the pack the paint defense for 2 seasons now so teams breaking NBA 3pt shooting records on us every game is now to be expected. Thibs has done some things differently this season like at times go with a 10 man rotation. The problem is the minute distribution. When specific players are having a low effort night and still play big minutes that is a problem. When other players are playing well they are still capped minuteswise.
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

12/3/2022  4:32 PM
Dont believe Ive ever watched a Knicks squad where so many players look out of position. We have no real floor general in the second unit. Sometimes its Rose, sometimes IQ. No one really setting the pace. Rose kept the team afloat with his scoring, when he first returned. But he's not the orchestrator we need now.

Strongly disagree that our record is due to a talent deficit. I would put it on a coaching and mgmt deficit.

Apparently Thibs has more say in personel decisions than Perry. The coaching is subpar, and so have been his roster moves lately.

Letting Perry do his job, and Quinn Snyder coaching the Knicks, is what Id like to see next season.

wargames

12/3/2022  7:52 PM
fwk00 wrote:
wargames wrote:
fwk00 wrote:
Philc1 wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:

We need talent.

And you think the talent on the floor will play better defense with another coach? Because?

Please. Consolidate this roster. I've said it since last year same time.

Clear the roster for 5 highly talented undesirable talents, G-League, walkons, whoever, and accumulate draft picks - any and all.

Why make a trade when every player Thibs gets eventually start playing worse in his system?

blkexec
Member: #748
12/3/2022  8:48 PM
Clean wrote:People keep on saying to keep Thibs because the team has a talent problem. My problem with Thibs is he is not maximizing the talent we have. Have you ever noticed that almost no one we sign builds value? Whoever we sign in free agency is like a freshly bought car. Once we get our hands on them their value drops. We never use their skill set. Obi has been forced to be a shooter. RJ has been playing with the starters and they don't compliment his game at all. Hart has been a great big passer everywhere he played has been turned into a rim running big. Randle and JB are actually really good at PNR but we still force ISO Randle's which he is near the bottom of the league at. There are poor roster management all over the place. He did well benching Evan though. His defense is too bad to be allowed to play when his shooting has been off. I been talking about the pack the paint defense for 2 seasons now so teams breaking NBA 3pt shooting records on us every game is now to be expected. Thibs has done some things differently this season like at times go with a 10 man rotation. The problem is the minute distribution. When specific players are having a low effort night and still play big minutes that is a problem. When other players are playing well they are still capped minuteswise.

To thibs credit RJ only played 20 min and we still lost.

Old stubborn thibs out classed agains after half time.

I missed the game and what else is new, a blown winnable game.

Just goes to show you how much a coach can do. Now my question is can and will thibs want to coach s knick team with the vets gone? Rose, EF, Randle

Born in Brooklyn, Raised in Queens, Lives in Maryland. The future is bright, I'm a Knicks fan for life!
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
12/3/2022  10:22 PM    LAST EDITED: 12/3/2022  10:25 PM
Wait, is this a tank?
How that work anyway?
Losing feels bad. I not losing sleep. We lose, we draft better. We win, Its fun.
Get mad and do the blame thing? Fuck that noise.
I can't fix this ****. Any of you can't either. What is it about these early games?
I like Thibs. It think he hates losing. Nobody is happy.
IM tired of thinking new coach, new FO gonna save the day.
Fire Thibs

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy