Time for Optimism
Author Thread
EwingsGlass
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #893
USA
9/1/2022  12:13 PM
martin wrote:
wargames wrote:Well this was a jinx thread…. Drama has found the Knicks yet again…. Cam is requesting a trade for lack of playing time…. In the Offseason. You can’t make this up.

Also this

I’m happy about this. I want to see what he can do with a 7’2 wingspan, a 90% ft% as a forward and a commitment to defense. He is not a throw in on any deal.

This is the Randle.
AUTOADVERT
wargames
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #6053

9/1/2022  12:38 PM
EwingsGlass wrote:
martin wrote:
wargames wrote:Well this was a jinx thread…. Drama has found the Knicks yet again…. Cam is requesting a trade for lack of playing time…. In the Offseason. You can’t make this up.

Also this

I’m happy about this. I want to see what he can do with a 7’2 wingspan, a 90% ft% as a forward and a commitment to defense. He is not a throw in on any deal.

So I guess Berman could make that up…

The algorithm gives and the algorithm takes away
BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

9/1/2022  12:57 PM
wargames wrote:
EwingsGlass wrote:
martin wrote:

Also this

So I guess Berman could make that up…

Didn't Cam refute reports that he requested a trade when he was on Atlanta? Just sayin'...
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
MS
Member: #724
9/1/2022  1:57 PM
Just too many guys on the second unit that need minutes.

Rose, IQ, Grimes, Obi, Isiah, Cam. There is no way to have an 11 man rotation. Too bad Thibs can’t push the tempo and play fast and have the young kids press.

I do think there is a trade out there, our guys just need minutes to show case.

ToddTT
Alba Posts: 52
Member: #105
9/1/2022  2:14 PM
Optimism schmoptimism.

gradyandrew
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #8959

9/1/2022  10:51 PM
Still optimistic.
gradyandrew

9/2/2022  8:32 AM
Last season from Jan 18 to February 16, Kemba got back in the rotation. Kemba started 13 of 15 games over that stretch. Over those 13 games the Knicks were 2-11. Otherwise the Knicks record was 35-34 for the season.

Let's not underestimate the impact from replacing Kemba with Brunson. Despite Randle and RJ s shooting struggles all season on offense, the Knicks defense (no 10 over the season) held up. I really don't think Fournier was a problem, his 3 point shooting is just what that starting unit needs. Looking around the East,

I see a lot to be hopeful about.None of the rumored DM trades included DRose, despite him and Cam being the only expiring. The front office at least is expecting big things from him. I also enjoy Cam's immediate push back on the trade rumors comforting. As I see it, even with a few injuries the Knicks are deep enough to field a competitive team.

The Celtics don't have a back up center. The Heat lost Tucker and are a year older. The Hornets lost their top scorer. The Nets are anyone's guess. The 76ers Cavs and Hawks look better but there will still be questions about their benches. Outside of Cam,the players have no worries about contracts All they need to concentrate on is winning.

The easiest thing for any front office to do is trade distant draft picks for win now talent. Rose and Co. holding off on the DM trade seems like pretty strong evidence that they are not worried about the Knicks sinking.

martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
9/2/2022  9:35 AM
Here is some optimism:

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
RSparrow2
Member: #6473

9/2/2022  9:57 AM
I think it's beyond just Grimes on how the Knicks will benefit from a Non-DM trade. Too much talent we were giving up, tying up out Cap, so no free agents coming after that trade. No more trades of young players coming with all those DP's being traded. We would have ad a static roster of a mediocre team for a decade.
wargames
Member: #6053

9/2/2022  10:08 AM
gradyandrew wrote:Last season from Jan 18 to February 16, Kemba got back in the rotation. Kemba started 13 of 15 games over that stretch. Over those 13 games the Knicks were 2-11. Otherwise the Knicks record was 35-34 for the season.

Let's not underestimate the impact from replacing Kemba with Brunson. Despite Randle and RJ s shooting struggles all season on offense, the Knicks defense (no 10 over the season) held up. I really don't think Fournier was a problem, his 3 point shooting is just what that starting unit needs. Looking around the East,

I see a lot to be hopeful about.None of the rumored DM trades included DRose, despite him and Cam being the only expiring. The front office at least is expecting big things from him. I also enjoy Cam's immediate push back on the trade rumors comforting. As I see it, even with a few injuries the Knicks are deep enough to field a competitive team.

The Celtics don't have a back up center. The Heat lost Tucker and are a year older. The Hornets lost their top scorer. The Nets are anyone's guess. The 76ers Cavs and Hawks look better but there will still be questions about their benches. Outside of Cam,the players have no worries about contracts All they need to concentrate on is winning.

The easiest thing for any front office to do is trade distant draft picks for win now talent. Rose and Co. holding off on the DM trade seems like pretty strong evidence that they are not worried about the Knicks sinking.

I think the knicks need to push to be a top 5 defense this year maybe try and push for a top 3, but yeah Kemba was brutal for this team. I would be ok with them replacing Fournier, but that is easier said than done.

The algorithm gives and the algorithm takes away
EwingsGlass
USA
9/2/2022  10:57 AM
wargames wrote:
gradyandrew wrote:Last season from Jan 18 to February 16, Kemba got back in the rotation. Kemba started 13 of 15 games over that stretch. Over those 13 games the Knicks were 2-11. Otherwise the Knicks record was 35-34 for the season.

I think the knicks need to push to be a top 5 defense this year maybe try and push for a top 3, but yeah Kemba was brutal for this team. I would be ok with them replacing Fournier, but that is easier said than done.

Fournier to Orlando for Jonathan Isaac. He is expiring, been out for 2 years with ACL, but would be a 3rd PF and at 25 still has a lot of potentially if his ACL is healed. Orl has Suggs, Garry Harris and Terrence Ross, but not much in SF after Wagner. They might welcome Fournier back as a catch and shoot 3 in an otherwise ball dominant roster.

This is the Randle.
gradyandrew

9/2/2022  9:45 PM
https://www.nba.com/stats/teams/advanced/?sort=DEF_RATING&dir=-1&Season=2021-22&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&SeasonSegment=Post%20All-Star&Conference=East

Post All Star break Knicks had the best defense in the East. Let's give Thibs some love.

Kemet
Member: #6148

9/3/2022  1:14 AM
Hard for me to find optimism for the Knicks 2022-23 season, even after reading all the Knicks fans post above ....
Last season the Knicks stayed 6 to 8 games under .500 throughout the season mainly from the Knicks coach poor team-defense.

The 2022-23 Knicks starter backcourt trio of players Brunson, Fournier, and Barrett will not best any of the back-court trio in the Atlantic division and may only out-perform 5 of the teams in the Eastern conference. That's a 5-9 record vs the eastern conference teams.

Has Randle ever co-existed well alongside a center in his NBA career?

How bad was the Cam Reddish trade ???
The Knicks gave up a final season contract player Knox, plus a 2022 first round pick, for an injury-prone player Cam Reddish asking to be traded before training camp.

Hard to find optimism in a team full of young players that don't get playing time !!!

EwingsGlass
USA
9/3/2022  7:50 AM
gradyandrew wrote:https://www.nba.com/stats/teams/advanced/?sort=DEF_RATING&dir=-1&Season=2021-22&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&SeasonSegment=Post%20All-Star&Conference=East

Post All Star break Knicks had the best defense in the East. Let's give Thibs some love.

In fact, Post All Star Break, best defense in the league

https://www.nba.com/stats/teams/advanced/?sort=DEF_RATING&dir=-1&Season=2021-22&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&SeasonSegment=Post%20All-Star

This is the Randle.
EwingsGlass
USA
9/3/2022  8:03 AM
Kemet wrote:Hard for me to find optimism for the Knicks 2022-23 season, even after reading all the Knicks fans post above ....
Last season the Knicks stayed 6 to 8 games under .500 throughout the season mainly from the Knicks coach poor team-defense.

The 2022-23 Knicks starter backcourt trio of players Brunson, Fournier, and Barrett will not best any of the back-court trio in the Atlantic division and may only out-perform 5 of the teams in the Eastern conference. That's a 5-9 record vs the eastern conference teams.

The Knicks gave up a final season contract player Knox, plus a 2022 first round pick, for an injury-prone player Cam Reddish asking to be traded before training camp.

Hard to find optimism in a team full of young players that don't get playing time !!!

Thread Fail.

This is the Randle.
Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
9/3/2022  8:34 AM
The optimistic view is we landed a PG to address the decades long issue, who is coming off a breakout playoffs. Grimes is coming off a standout summer league that shows he’s ready for a jump. Brunson/ Grimes is a Thibs backcourt that will play hard on both ends of the floor. If Brunson carries his success and turns into an allstar and if grimes has a jump like a Desmond bane type player, all will be forgotten.
SergioNYK
Member: #333
USA
9/3/2022  8:58 AM
Nice breakdown but let's be real - we are lacking a lot of talent compared to the top 6 teams of the conference. I do think we can challenge for those last spots in the play-in and should finish right about that .500 mark. Maybe a little more if some guys surprise. We'll know more by Thanksgiving.
nycdan
Member: #8926

9/3/2022  9:02 AM
Kemet wrote:Hard for me to find optimism for the Knicks 2022-23 season, even after reading all the Knicks fans post above ....

A protected first round pick (1-18) and they got a second round back. Not quite as bad as you make it out. If they trade Reddish, they should get at least that much value back, so at worst, it's a neutral trade. Then there's the part where Reddish denies asking for a trade. Other than that, you nailed it.

EwingsGlass
USA
9/3/2022  9:09 AM
SergioNYK wrote:Nice breakdown but let's be real - we are lacking a lot of talent compared to the top 6 teams of the conference. I do think we can challenge for those last spots in the play-in and should finish right about that .500 mark. Maybe a little more if some guys surprise. We'll know more by Thanksgiving.

I think that’s right. If Brunson initiates the offense, I think the Knicks points per possession will increase.

You take a team capable of being the best defense in the league behind Mr. Robinson and add one of the most efficient point guards in the game, there is a logical leap that he can perform at the same level as the lead guard, but the playoffs gave a glimpse of that being a reasonable assertion.

You add 3 points per 100 possessions, which is just moving shots from Randle and Barrett to Brunson and I think they are there.

Grady’s post on post all star break defense includes Fournier, who is highly efficient as a shooter. It’s possible that we are just good right now. Maybe have to settle camp war between IQ and Grimes.

This is the Randle.
gradyandrew

9/3/2022  10:20 AM

After Knicks lost Kemba the defense was top 5in the league, best in East post All Star break.

Fair enough. Knicks have a good frontcourt and a great bench though.

Randle and Noel? It's tough to isolate Randle and Robinson from the Kemba effect.

I think Cam can still have a big season. He makes sense as the back up 3.

Knicks core is Brunson Fournier RJ Randle Robinson. For now the younglings get to ball out against weak bench lineups.

Time for Optimism

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy