Would u trade obi for a future 1
Author Thread
Philc1
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #8897

1/19/2022  2:17 PM
VDesai wrote:
Philc1 wrote:
VDesai wrote:Obi reminds me of Mike Sweetney- not based on style/size/game. We drafted both in the top 10 and for whatever the reason, neither could get enough burn or the coaches trust, but would come in for flashes and show that they could be a good player. I'm worried that Obi is never gonna get any run under Thibs.

I think he can be way better on the right team. We should probably stack him for a bigger trade rather then sell low and get a late first.

Sweetney was a homeless man’s Clarence Weatherspoon. Undersized, Unathletic and not talented

Obi’s issue is his outside shooting has gone into the toilet since we drafted him. Last night the timber wolves had no problem at all with leaving him completely alone if he was by the arc. He kills our spacing way worse than Mitch - at least he’s a defensive beast

I didn't compare style of play, but i was comparing opportunity. Sweetney was a beast at G'Town and drafted high, but we never really gave him a lot of PT. He would come in and show flashes of being a good rebounder, and sometimes would come in an do nothing. I feel like Obi's falling in the same box where we used a big resource on him and we haven't really given him as much PT as you would have expected. We see flashes, we see dissapointment....in general we just don't see enough. Sweetney I thought could have been better with the right opportunity, but I think mental health wise got down on himself and basically ate himself out of the league in Chicago.

Obi is losing minutes because he can’t shoot

His game has regressed this season significantly. You can only blame not having a point guard for so long the guy is missing completely wide open jumpers

AUTOADVERT
VDesai
Alba Posts: 44
Member: #477
USA
1/19/2022  2:41 PM
He hasn't been losing mins- my point is he hasn't ever really had the minutes. At least he plays in every game this year, but 4 mins in each half arent gonna get him into the game.
Clean
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #743
1/19/2022  3:06 PM
HofstraBBall wrote:
Clean wrote:
Clean wrote:I don't think Obi get the respect he should. Just like Mitch I think he will truly be unlocked with a PG like Trae. The problem is we been looking for a PG for over a decade. When Randle was out with Covid I was hesitant to start Obi because he is not the type of player you just put anywhere. You need to put him with people that will find him on his cuts. Sadly Obi predictably did not do well with being thrown in with the starters and that gave Thibs enough ammo to reduce his minutes once Randle came back. Now Obi looks kind of lost again.

The second video is another example of how many free points Obi misses because our guards miss him on a good amount of his cuts. People who only stat watch will miss how much better Obi would be with a pass 1st guard.

This still misses the biggest point about Obi. He can't shoot. Not 3's, not mid-range. I won't take the time to post the many airballs thus far. The video posted here shows the expectation of a lob from just past half-court? How often will that happen? Is that what his offense will solely consist of? Lobs? Again, the kid is talented, athletic and we should try to develop him. But let's stop ignoring his big flaw by stating he can dunk. Shooting is the most important in todays NBA.

I don't care if he can't shoot when he gets wide open when he cuts. There are different ways to create space. Some people do it from the threat of the 3pt shot others do it through player movement. Obi creates a ton of open looks through cutting at the right times but half of those opportunities are lost because our PGs can't find him. Half of time when they do pass it the pass is off the mark.

Obviously every time it happens the PG is not that far out. Even in this situation where the PG is that far out its still a bad miss because of just how open Obi was. Obi was gave him the lob sign twice before he even started the cut because of how open he was. It is just the difference from a combo guard playing a PG vs a pass first PG. LaMelo and Lonzo makes this pass 10 times out of 10. I am not comparing IQ's talent them just their PG vision. It is what differentiates pass 1st PGs from players who just play PG.

IQ can make the pass he just does not have the PG vision to see the play materialize consistently enough to take advantage of Obi's strength as a player.
Clean
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #743
1/19/2022  3:17 PM
Philc1 wrote:
VDesai wrote:
Philc1 wrote:
VDesai wrote:Obi reminds me of Mike Sweetney- not based on style/size/game. We drafted both in the top 10 and for whatever the reason, neither could get enough burn or the coaches trust, but would come in for flashes and show that they could be a good player. I'm worried that Obi is never gonna get any run under Thibs.

I think he can be way better on the right team. We should probably stack him for a bigger trade rather then sell low and get a late first.

Sweetney was a homeless man’s Clarence Weatherspoon. Undersized, Unathletic and not talented

Obi’s issue is his outside shooting has gone into the toilet since we drafted him. Last night the timber wolves had no problem at all with leaving him completely alone if he was by the arc. He kills our spacing way worse than Mitch - at least he’s a defensive beast

I didn't compare style of play, but i was comparing opportunity. Sweetney was a beast at G'Town and drafted high, but we never really gave him a lot of PT. He would come in and show flashes of being a good rebounder, and sometimes would come in an do nothing. I feel like Obi's falling in the same box where we used a big resource on him and we haven't really given him as much PT as you would have expected. We see flashes, we see dissapointment....in general we just don't see enough. Sweetney I thought could have been better with the right opportunity, but I think mental health wise got down on himself and basically ate himself out of the league in Chicago.

His game has regressed this season significantly. You can only blame not having a point guard for so long the guy is missing completely wide open jumpers

Did you really say Obi has regressed this season? We going to have to agree to disagree on this one. For a majority of last season Obi did not look like an NBA player. Obi has been one of our best players this season. Check the game thread when Randle was out for Covid. I was worried that Obi would not do well replacing him because the starters are even worse at finding Obi than the bench. Just replacing Obi in the starting lineup was lazy and it was obviously not going to work because the starters also play slow. All of what Obi is good at is wasted with the starters. The starters only recently started throwing lobs to Mitch and look how much better he has looked as a result. By the way, they still miss Mitch on half the lob opportunities.

Thibs used the bad games when he just recklessly threw Obi in the starting lineup to demote him even more. He was getting like 15min a game before Randle got Covid and is now down to 10min a game. Even when Obi is having a good game in that limited time he never gets to get his minutes extended.

knicks1248
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #582
1/20/2022  8:38 AM
Clean wrote:
Philc1 wrote:
VDesai wrote:
Philc1 wrote:

Did you really say Obi has regressed this season? We going to have to agree to disagree on this one. For a majority of last season Obi did not look like an NBA player. Obi has been one of our best players this season. Check the game thread when Randle was out for Covid. I was worried that Obi would not do well replacing him because the starters are even worse at finding Obi than the bench. Just replacing Obi in the starting lineup was lazy and it was obviously not going to work because the starters also play slow. All of what Obi is good at is wasted with the starters. The starters only recently started throwing lobs to Mitch and look how much better he has looked as a result. By the way, they still miss Mitch on half the lob opportunities.

Thibs used the bad games when he just recklessly threw Obi in the starting lineup to demote him even more. He was getting like 15min a game before Randle got Covid and is now down to 10min a game. Even when Obi is having a good game in that limited time he never gets to get his minutes extended.

Mitch and Taj Fouls out and Thibs turns to "ICE COLD" Alec Burks of all people, if that doesn't tell you much faith he has in OBI, nothing will.

ES
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
1/20/2022  8:41 AM
knicks1248 wrote:
Clean wrote:
Philc1 wrote:
VDesai wrote:
Philc1 wrote:

Mitch and Taj Fouls out and Thibs turns to "ICE COLD" Alec Burks of all people, if that doesn't tell you much faith he has in OBI, nothing will.

0-3 is ice cold?

Burks has shown the Knicks he can knock down shots and happens to be one of the better 3pt shooters in the league.

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
Philc1

1/20/2022  10:26 AM
VDesai wrote:He hasn't been losing mins- my point is he hasn't ever really had the minutes. At least he plays in every game this year, but 4 mins in each half arent gonna get him into the game.

Ok fair enough. Obi is not getting minutes because he’s become a bricklayer from anywhere on the court that isn’t directly under the basket

knicks1248
1/20/2022  10:29 AM
martin wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
Clean wrote:
Philc1 wrote:
VDesai wrote:
Philc1 wrote:

0-3 is ice cold?

Burks has shown the Knicks he can knock down shots and happens to be one of the better 3pt shooters in the league.

He has also shown he can struggle just as well, which he is currently in a funk shooting 3-13 from DT in his last 3 games.

ES
Philc1

1/20/2022  10:31 AM
Clean wrote:
Philc1 wrote:
VDesai wrote:
Philc1 wrote:

Obi’s shooting percentages are down this season especially from 3. He’s at 20% which Elfrid Payton and Dennis Smith Jr laugh at

Yeah he’s a PF and his game is supposed to be dunking and put backs- which he still does well. Problem is if a PF in todays nba can’t shoot even league average from 3 it kills your spacing on offense. Look at the other night’s game, Obi getting wide open looks from 3 with no one 5 feet from him and he did nothing but miss. Opposing teams will give Obi all the space and time he wants all day

Mitch can get away with not being a good shooter because he’s such a presence on defense but Obi is not that type of player. I think we should trade him now while he still has value- no point really in keeping him around we are locked into Randle 4 more years and he’s a better player

Philc1

1/20/2022  10:34 AM
knicks1248 wrote:
martin wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
Clean wrote:
Philc1 wrote:
VDesai wrote:
Philc1 wrote:

0-3 is ice cold?

He has also shown he can struggle just as well, which he is currently in a funk shooting 3-13 from DT in his last 3 games.

Burks coming off the bench to play SG or SF is a totally different player then when he’s forced to be a full time pg. if the refs didnt call that foul before Randle passed it to him he hits a game winning 3 the other night

martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
1/20/2022  10:46 AM
knicks1248 wrote:
martin wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
Clean wrote:
Philc1 wrote:
VDesai wrote:
Philc1 wrote:

0-3 is ice cold?

Do you really find this a compelling argument? Or do you think you are desperately grasping at straws to find any which way to less than mildly support your not very well thought out argument?

LAST 3 GAMES? What coach uses that barometer for an in game, last minutes decision?

Come on man

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
knicks1248
1/20/2022  1:40 PM
martin wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
martin wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
Clean wrote:
Philc1 wrote:
VDesai wrote:
Philc1 wrote:

0-3 is ice cold?

Do you really find this a compelling argument? Or do you think you are desperately grasping at straws to find any which way to less than mildly support your not very well thought out argument?

LAST 3 GAMES? What coach uses that barometer for an in game, last minutes decision?

Come on man

dude What are you drunk or lazy

Burks is shooting and embarrassing 30% FG for the month of january and 27% from 3pt land

He has been absolutely TRASH since that 34 point game in december.

How in the world is that grasping for straws

ES
NYKMentality
Member: #4385

1/20/2022  3:17 PM
Yes. I'd like to see Obi Toppin get more opportunities of playing time moving forward (we all do).

But I also understand and comprehend how Obi Toppin is just a 2nd year player and came into this league very raw.

So what's wrong with him having to earn his playing time under coach Thibs while also developing behind Julius Randle @ PF?

For those of you wanting to trade away Obi Toppin? Please understand that injuries do happen. And if anything were to even happen to Julius Randle? You'd regret wanting to run Obi Toppin as only a 2nd year player out of town.

And his minutes have increased. As a Rookie = 11.0 minutes per game but as a 2nd year player = 15.8 minutes per game.

And if Obi Toppin wasn't shooting .203% from 3 he'd be @ 20 minutes per game this year. That's not on coach Thibs, that's on Obi Toppin himself. It's either he stops shooting 3s and begins to attack the rim more often or he'll continue to sit. And rightfully so.

Stop trying to be Steph Curry and start attacking like Amare Stoudemire.

NYKMentality
Member: #4385

1/20/2022  3:31 PM    LAST EDITED: 1/20/2022  3:38 PM
And I agree. Alec Burks has been awful as of late.

Throughout his last 10 games he's only averaging 9.4 points and 3.2 assists per game while only shooting a FG% of .314% and only .308% from 3.

He's been atrocious as of late and should NEVER touch the ball as a "PG" because he's the opposite of a PG.

Previous 10 games = 27/86 from the field?
Previous 10 games = 12/39 from 3?

Are you kidding me?

He's killing us.

Also games of 0 assists, 1 assist, 1 assist, 1 assist, 2 assists and only 2 assists when he's supposed to be playing PG is embarrassing on Burks himself.

Would u trade obi for a future 1

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy