[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Would u trade obi for a future 1
Author Thread
knicks1248
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #582
1/17/2022  10:50 AM
I see cam taking Min from Fournier and OBI, Cam can literally play the 2g, sf and pf.

OBI like Mitch and Noel are one position players.

ES
AUTOADVERT
HofstraBBall
Member: #6192

1/17/2022  11:15 AM    LAST EDITED: 1/17/2022  11:34 AM
Would I? Absolutely. But why would anyone take Obi and lose a chance at picking someone that may be more of a fit? Obi can still turn it around but right now the kid just can't shoot. And that is a problem. Also worth mentioning that the Knicks would rather have another future number one as an asset than Obi who is showing some flaws. But only if they are looking to package that right away.

Would rather use Obi as part of a package for say someone like Grant, Powell or a true PG.
If not, okay with taking a chance on Obi continuing to develop. Especially since he can still be a valuable part of a second unit in the interim.

'Knicks focus should be on players that have grown up playing soccer or cricket' - Triplethreat 8/28/2020
MS
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #724
1/17/2022  11:26 AM
Need to keep him for a trade.

Obi, IQ, Reddish, Burks, two number 1st for Mitchell.

Uptown
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #1883

1/17/2022  11:38 AM
One thing this front office won't do is trade a fringe rotation player for the sake of opening up minutes for Cam. If anything, we would use Obi as a part of a package to get a pg like Brunson this summer or at the deadline.
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
1/17/2022  12:20 PM
Simms has no handle. His offense is no where close to OBI.
If OBI can shoot to his college stats we have something important.
What about Mitch and OBI to Pacers for Sabonis and he plays the 5? Just convo spitballing.
Philc1
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #8897

1/17/2022  9:25 PM    LAST EDITED: 1/17/2022  9:27 PM
SupremeCommander wrote:
Philc1 wrote:
SupremeCommander wrote:conceptually, ascquiring 'future firsts' is my favorite type of trade. Otis Thorpe was traded in 1997-98 for a future pick. Because it was the Pistons, they ****ed it up and took Darko Milicic but coud've had Carmelo, Wade, or Bosh. Future picks can sometimes make themselves out to be way more valuable than you might anticipate trading him

That said, what the actual ****? You have to be kidding me. I know Obi isn't walking on water, but he's doing everything you would ask of 8th overall pick. He has a 17.7 PER this year. He's 17/8 on a per 36 basis. Like WTF? He doesn't need to be the full time starter. Why is everyone evaluating him like a ****ing starter? He is crushing his backup role.

So we're going to trade him and find a quality PF backup that makes $5.2 million this year? Really? What's you plan there, rely on Noel and Reddish?

Jericho Sims is essentially the same thing as Obi just not glorified

I like Sims, and want to discss this more. What has Sims produced in his 6.5 mpg and 1.2/1.7 that leads you to believe this? or are you projecting they'll be the same?

Obi is glorified because his play, while limited, is producing at a statistically meaningful level, people see he has the tools to shine in this league. Do you see those same attributes in Sims?

HoustonSprewell84 wrote:
Philc1 wrote:
SupremeCommander wrote:conceptually, ascquiring 'future firsts' is my favorite type of trade. Otis Thorpe was traded in 1997-98 for a future pick. Because it was the Pistons, they ****ed it up and took Darko Milicic but coud've had Carmelo, Wade, or Bosh. Future picks can sometimes make themselves out to be way more valuable than you might anticipate trading him

That said, what the actual ****? You have to be kidding me. I know Obi isn't walking on water, but he's doing everything you would ask of 8th overall pick. He has a 17.7 PER this year. He's 17/8 on a per 36 basis. Like WTF? He doesn't need to be the full time starter. Why is everyone evaluating him like a ****ing starter? He is crushing his backup role.

So we're going to trade him and find a quality PF backup that makes $5.2 million this year? Really? What's you plan there, rely on Noel and Reddish?

Lol That’s a huge overreach.

Sims was late second round pick for a reason.

I don’t think Obi is ready to start, but I’m not going to disrespect him like that.

Obi’s shot, especially from 3, has fallen off a cliff this season and really the entire first 2 years of his career. 30% from 3 his rookie year which sucks and this year 20% which is abysmal. And then he stunk up the joint in his two starts. He’s also old for a second year player so what you see now is what you are going to get rest of his career

I like Obi, have rooted hard for him, but his ceiling looks like a poor man’s Amare. Sims is not far off from that at all

martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
1/17/2022  9:27 PM
Philc1 wrote:
SupremeCommander wrote:
Philc1 wrote:

I like Sims, and want to discss this more. What has Sims produced in his 6.5 mpg and 1.2/1.7 that leads you to believe this? or are you projecting they'll be the same?

Obi is glorified because his play, while limited, is producing at a statistically meaningful level, people see he has the tools to shine in this league. Do you see those same attributes in Sims?

Obi’s shot, especially from 3, has fallen off a cliff this season and really the entire first 2 years of his career. 30% from 3 his rookie year which sucks and this year 20% which is abysmal. And then he stunk up the joint in his two starts

I like Obi, have rooted hard for him, but his ceiling looks like a poor man’s Amare. Sims is not far off from that at all

Man what are you smoking

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
NYKMentality
Member: #4385

1/18/2022  9:33 AM    LAST EDITED: 1/18/2022  9:39 AM
I wouldn't trade away any of our youthful talent for "more draft picks"

A.) We've already got three (3) 1st round picks throughout the next two drafts of 2022 and 2023.

B.) We've also got another six (6) 2nd round picks throughout the next two drafts of 2022 and 2023.

C.) We've already got 9 draft picks throughout the next two drafts so what is the point of trading away Obi Toppin who's instant Electricity off the bench; just to say we've now got 10 draft picks throughout the next two drafts?

So what is the point of trading away Obi Toppin?

I actually enjoy having Obi Toppin both developing from the outside looking in and backing up our PF position off the bench because 1.) He's still raw and not ready for starters minutes and 2.) If anything ever happens to Julius Randle; it'll become Obi Toppin who saves our PF position and 3.) I absolutely dislike the thought/idea of quitting on an Obi Toppin lottery draft pick during only his 2nd NBA season

Clean
Member: #743
1/18/2022  9:35 AM
Clean wrote:I don't think Obi get the respect he should. Just like Mitch I think he will truly be unlocked with a PG like Trae. The problem is we been looking for a PG for over a decade. When Randle was out with Covid I was hesitant to start Obi because he is not the type of player you just put anywhere. You need to put him with people that will find him on his cuts. Sadly Obi predictably did not do well with being thrown in with the starters and that gave Thibs enough ammo to reduce his minutes once Randle came back. Now Obi looks kind of lost again.

The second video is another example of how many free points Obi misses because our guards miss him on a good amount of his cuts. People who only stat watch will miss how much better Obi would be with a pass 1st guard.
ekstarks94
Member: #6104

1/18/2022  2:53 PM
If we are are getting a real pg by the deadline or the summer...I am keeping Obi. He cannot get his own shot and needs reliable pt guard play.
wargames
Member: #6053

1/18/2022  3:39 PM
Let’s see if Cam can work well as a 3/4. If so maybe trade Obi and grab another 2/3. Randle plays a lot like a SF.
The algorithm gives and the algorithm takes away
Jmpasq
Member: #4182

1/19/2022  6:38 AM
Uptown wrote:One thing this front office won't do is trade a fringe rotation player for the sake of opening up minutes for Cam. If anything, we would use Obi as a part of a package to get a pg like Brunson this summer or at the deadline.

If we trade Obi it should be for a player. It should be for a package to improve the starting line-up and condense the rotation. Unless its very lightly protected I have no interest in it.

Check out My NFL Draft Prospect Videos at Youtube User Pages Jmpasq,JPdraftjedi,Jmpasqdraftjedi. www.Draftbreakdown.com
Philc1

1/19/2022  8:45 AM    LAST EDITED: 1/19/2022  8:46 AM
NYKMentality wrote: I wouldn't trade away any of our youthful talent for "more draft picks"

A.) We've already got three (3) 1st round picks throughout the next two drafts of 2022 and 2023.

B.) We've also got another six (6) 2nd round picks throughout the next two drafts of 2022 and 2023.

C.) We've already got 9 draft picks throughout the next two drafts so what is the point of trading away Obi Toppin who's instant Electricity off the bench; just to say we've now got 10 draft picks throughout the next two drafts?

So what is the point of trading away Obi Toppin?

I actually enjoy having Obi Toppin both developing from the outside looking in and backing up our PF position off the bench because 1.) He's still raw and not ready for starters minutes and 2.) If anything ever happens to Julius Randle; it'll become Obi Toppin who saves our PF position and 3.) I absolutely dislike the thought/idea of quitting on an Obi Toppin lottery draft pick during only his 2nd NBA season

Obi is about to turn 24. How “raw” can he really be?

If someone offers a top 8 pick for him you take it and run

VDesai
Alba Posts: 44
Member: #477
USA
1/19/2022  9:44 AM
Obi reminds me of Mike Sweetney- not based on style/size/game. We drafted both in the top 10 and for whatever the reason, neither could get enough burn or the coaches trust, but would come in for flashes and show that they could be a good player. I'm worried that Obi is never gonna get any run under Thibs.

I think he can be way better on the right team. We should probably stack him for a bigger trade rather then sell low and get a late first.

HofstraBBall
Member: #6192

1/19/2022  9:54 AM    LAST EDITED: 1/19/2022  9:56 AM
Clean wrote:
Clean wrote:I don't think Obi get the respect he should. Just like Mitch I think he will truly be unlocked with a PG like Trae. The problem is we been looking for a PG for over a decade. When Randle was out with Covid I was hesitant to start Obi because he is not the type of player you just put anywhere. You need to put him with people that will find him on his cuts. Sadly Obi predictably did not do well with being thrown in with the starters and that gave Thibs enough ammo to reduce his minutes once Randle came back. Now Obi looks kind of lost again.

The second video is another example of how many free points Obi misses because our guards miss him on a good amount of his cuts. People who only stat watch will miss how much better Obi would be with a pass 1st guard.

This still misses the biggest point about Obi. He can't shoot. Not 3's, not mid-range. I won't take the time to post the many airballs thus far. The video posted here shows the expectation of a lob from just past half-court? How often will that happen? Is that what his offense will solely consist of? Lobs? Again, the kid is talented, athletic and we should try to develop him. But let's stop ignoring his big flaw by stating he can dunk. Shooting is the most important in todays NBA.

'Knicks focus should be on players that have grown up playing soccer or cricket' - Triplethreat 8/28/2020
BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

1/19/2022  10:08 AM    LAST EDITED: 1/19/2022  10:09 AM
HofstraBBall wrote:
Clean wrote:

This still misses the biggest point about Obi. He can't shoot. Not 3's, not mid-range. I won't take the time to post the many airballs thus far. The video posted here shows the expectation of a lob from just past half-court? How often will that happen? Is that what his offense will solely consist of? Lobs? Again, the kid is talented, athletic and we should try to develop him. But let's stop ignoring his big flaw by stating he can dunk. Shooting is the most important in todays NBA.

Not a lob from halfcourt, but a seasoned point guard would have attacked, drew the defense and hit Obi for the easy two. Heck, I've seen Grimes make that play. I'll be the first to admit Obi has flaws But so do most players. A coaches job is to minimize those flaws, while maximizing player strengths. You don't send shaky shooters to the corners when they're best skills are cutting, running the floor and finishing.
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
SergioNYK
Member: #333
USA
1/19/2022  11:06 AM
If you ask me who would I rather keep between Obi, IQ and Grimes, I'd say IQ and Grimes. I like Obi but it's starting to be clear he'll never have an important role on this team unless we trade Randle, which is not gonna happen. And you cannot play them together cause neither guy protects the paint. This sucks cause I really like Obi but he'll never be anything more than Randle's backup here.
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
1/19/2022  12:39 PM
BigDaddyG wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:
Clean wrote:

Not a lob from halfcourt, but a seasoned point guard would have attacked, drew the defense and hit Obi for the easy two. Heck, I've seen Grimes make that play. I'll be the first to admit Obi has flaws But so do most players. A coaches job is to minimize those flaws, while maximizing player strengths. You don't send shaky shooters to the corners when they're best skills are cutting, running the floor and finishing.

I think Obi is in the corner for good reasons. For one, it's the one place he can make a 3 point shot. He also does cut from that spot, tons of examples. Also, when you have a C that plays with him - either Noel or Taj - those guys run the PnR and hopefully that creates a situation where the defense has to collapse or rotate, and a cutting Obi can finish.

I think we will see more PnR with Obi and IQ or whoever the PG is, but the PG doesn't yet have the skillset to run the PnR with any efficiency.

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
Philc1

1/19/2022  2:06 PM    LAST EDITED: 1/19/2022  2:06 PM
VDesai wrote:Obi reminds me of Mike Sweetney- not based on style/size/game. We drafted both in the top 10 and for whatever the reason, neither could get enough burn or the coaches trust, but would come in for flashes and show that they could be a good player. I'm worried that Obi is never gonna get any run under Thibs.

I think he can be way better on the right team. We should probably stack him for a bigger trade rather then sell low and get a late first.

Sweetney was a homeless man’s Clarence Weatherspoon. Undersized, Unathletic and not talented

Obi’s issue is his outside shooting has gone into the toilet since we drafted him. Last night the timber wolves had no problem at all with leaving him completely alone if he was by the arc. He kills our spacing way worse than Mitch - at least he’s a defensive beast

VDesai
Alba Posts: 44
Member: #477
USA
1/19/2022  2:14 PM
Philc1 wrote:
VDesai wrote:Obi reminds me of Mike Sweetney- not based on style/size/game. We drafted both in the top 10 and for whatever the reason, neither could get enough burn or the coaches trust, but would come in for flashes and show that they could be a good player. I'm worried that Obi is never gonna get any run under Thibs.

Sweetney was a homeless man’s Clarence Weatherspoon. Undersized, Unathletic and not talented

Obi’s issue is his outside shooting has gone into the toilet since we drafted him. Last night the timber wolves had no problem at all with leaving him completely alone if he was by the arc. He kills our spacing way worse than Mitch - at least he’s a defensive beast

I didn't compare style of play, but i was comparing opportunity. Sweetney was a beast at G'Town and drafted high, but we never really gave him a lot of PT. He would come in and show flashes of being a good rebounder, and sometimes would come in an do nothing. I feel like Obi's falling in the same box where we used a big resource on him and we haven't really given him as much PT as you would have expected. We see flashes, we see dissapointment....in general we just don't see enough. Sweetney I thought could have been better with the right opportunity, but I think mental health wise got down on himself and basically ate himself out of the league in Chicago.

Would u trade obi for a future 1

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy