Would u trade obi for a future 1
Author Thread
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
1/16/2022  4:39 PM
Someone is gonna be on the outs soon

I’m wondering if reddish at 6-8 may be moved to back up 3-4
Meaning obi might be out. He’s to valuable to sit however. We can find 4s in the future draft or trade fa etc

Thoughts?

RIP Crushalot😞
AUTOADVERT
BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

1/16/2022  4:54 PM
It's something I would consider after the season is over. Honestly, do you think you can get a first rounder for Obi right now?
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
Uptown
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #1883

1/16/2022  4:57 PM    LAST EDITED: 1/16/2022  4:59 PM
I just posted in a one of the other threads that one way to get Cam some minutes is at the 4 with the 2nd unit. Obi is one of my favorite Knicks, and I would hate to see us trade him, but with his reduce in minutes, lack a a role that benefits his skill level, and when you consider that Julius was re-signed this summer, his role here isn't very significant. Obi, who is a 20% 3 pt shooter spends the majority of his time camped out in the corner which doesn't really help him or us. Cam is a good 3pt shooter, especially from the corners.

Not sure what the market is for Obi, (doubt we can get a 1st for him) or what the front office has in mind for him, but it wouldn't surprise me if Obi is moved either at the deadline or this summer to open up minutes...

TheGame
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #1154
USA
1/16/2022  5:26 PM    LAST EDITED: 1/16/2022  5:30 PM
If we could get a 2022 or 2023 lottery pick for Obi, I would make that deal. I think Obi is worth a first round pick to a team with no strong starter at PF. It is clear the team is committed to Randle and neither Randle nor Toppin can play any other position besides the 4. No point holding on to Toppin just to play him 12-15 minutes a game. Plus, Reddish can probably do most of what Obi does if he focuses. Obi is great at cutting to the basket. Not sure if Reddish has that in his game but he can match Obi’s athleticism.
Trust the Process
Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
1/16/2022  5:36 PM
If you can get a future 1st without heavy protections on it than you would have to do it. Cam is going to play some 3 and 4 and get his minutes. I still say that using Obi as part of a Brunson deal makes sense, even if Obi goes to a third team in the deal. I like Obi a lot and want to keep him, but we need to be realistic that his role here is probably capped, and acquiring a future first or using him in a deal for an upgrade in the starting lineup is probably the move to make if it’s there.
Allanfan20
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #542
USA
1/16/2022  5:52 PM
Top 5 probably.
“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
jskinny35
Member: #928
USA
1/16/2022  6:19 PM
I see Cam starting for us at the 3 (or maybe 4 at times) in about a year - after he adjusts to Thibs coaching style. The talent is there - let's hope the work ethic matches his ability.

So instead of using Obi (not much value), maybe IQ in a trade and continuing to shop for the perfect players to build around Randle - why not use Randle to land a dynamic PG (eg Fox) and open up the teams strengths and play at a faster pace.

Fox, RJ, Cam, Obi and Mitch would offer enough scoring (provided Cam turns into a dependable 3) to offset Randle's positive offensive abilities. We could retain more draft picks and we already know that Randle isn't the guy leading us to the promised land...

I would trade Rose, Noel, Randle, Kemba and Burks either at trade deadline or around draft time to package for more picks or young talent. Yes we would take step back but last season we needed a rejuvenated Rose to help us improve dramatically in the 2nd half of last season to make it to the 4th seed. Rose is still hurt, Randle has regressed, RJ not playing that well until recently, etc...

Best case we trade Mitch, future pick and land Brunson and reclaim the 4-5th spot? And then what - we continue again to try to find the perfect fits around Randle even though we are at best a middle of the road team. We anywhere near close to beating the Sixers, Heat, Bucks or Nets to come out of the East? Besides the Bulls, Cavs, Hornets and Raptors are also still ahead of us.

There is not one player realistically that we could land that changes our trajectory very much. Maybe Randle's higher value packaged with another player could land us that star we desperately need. But for the moment we do have a host of young players and a coach that demands they play hard - so let em play I say! Let's not get fooled into thinking the past 2-3 games means everything is better. We are and will continue to be a team that looks good on some nights, and lousy other nights...

BillTheButcher
Member: #6326

1/16/2022  7:08 PM
I like Obi , and TBH I'd rather dump Randle .But I don't think that happens , I don't trade him for a pick its not what we need I would include him in a package for a legit PG though ....
[IMG]http://i1167.photobucket.com/albums/q636/shemmue0311/member15202.png[/IMG]
Jmpasq
Member: #4182

1/16/2022  9:29 PM
No not for a pick. Trading Obi for a lottery protected pick is just a waste. I'm hoping Obi and one of the excess guards can bring an upgrade in the starting lineup
Check out My NFL Draft Prospect Videos at Youtube User Pages Jmpasq,JPdraftjedi,Jmpasqdraftjedi. www.Draftbreakdown.com
wargames
Member: #6053

1/16/2022  10:28 PM
Spurs could use a PF and Obi and Kemba’s contracts work great in a Derrick White trade…
The algorithm gives and the algorithm takes away
Swishfm3
Member: #392
1/16/2022  11:29 PM
Not trading Obi unless it's for a position of need.

Obi Toppin is an NBA bench player. Anyone thinking that he should be starting on this or any other NBA team is being delusional. I am usually quick to say to trade rookies after their first year or so, if they aren't demonstrating progress but he is playing his role perfectly for us.

With Noel and Robinson always hurt, Gibson is forced to be the Knicks back Center so we need Obi to be Randles backup at the 4. So, unless its for Haliburton or Murray, I would like the Knicks to hold on to Obi.

Clean
Member: #743
1/17/2022  5:09 AM
I don't think Obi get the respect he should. Just like Mitch I think he will truly be unlocked with a PG like Trae. The problem is we been looking for a PG for over a decade. When Randle was out with Covid I was hesitant to start Obi because he is not the type of player you just put anywhere. You need to put him with people that will find him on his cuts. Sadly Obi predictably did not do well with being thrown in with the starters and that gave Thibs enough ammo to reduce his minutes once Randle came back. Now Obi looks kind of lost again.
Philc1
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #8897

1/17/2022  8:09 AM
I would want a similar draft position for where he was drafted at 8
SupremeCommander
Alba Posts: 35
Member: #1127

1/17/2022  8:10 AM
conceptually, ascquiring 'future firsts' is my favorite type of trade. Otis Thorpe was traded in 1997-98 for a future pick. Because it was the Pistons, they ****ed it up and took Darko Milicic but coud've had Carmelo, Wade, or Bosh. Future picks can sometimes make themselves out to be way more valuable than you might anticipate trading him

That said, what the actual ****? You have to be kidding me. I know Obi isn't walking on water, but he's doing everything you would ask of 8th overall pick. He has a 17.7 PER this year. He's 17/8 on a per 36 basis. Like WTF? He doesn't need to be the full time starter. Why is everyone evaluating him like a ****ing starter? He is crushing his backup role.

So we're going to trade him and find a quality PF backup that makes $5.2 million this year? Really? What's you plan there, rely on Noel and Reddish?

Sambakick wrote: Gives a whole new meaning to "Jazz Hands"
Philc1
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #8897

1/17/2022  8:18 AM
SupremeCommander wrote:conceptually, ascquiring 'future firsts' is my favorite type of trade. Otis Thorpe was traded in 1997-98 for a future pick. Because it was the Pistons, they ****ed it up and took Darko Milicic but coud've had Carmelo, Wade, or Bosh. Future picks can sometimes make themselves out to be way more valuable than you might anticipate trading him

That said, what the actual ****? You have to be kidding me. I know Obi isn't walking on water, but he's doing everything you would ask of 8th overall pick. He has a 17.7 PER this year. He's 17/8 on a per 36 basis. Like WTF? He doesn't need to be the full time starter. Why is everyone evaluating him like a ****ing starter? He is crushing his backup role.

So we're going to trade him and find a quality PF backup that makes $5.2 million this year? Really? What's you plan there, rely on Noel and Reddish?

Jericho Sims is essentially the same thing as Obi just not glorified

SupremeCommander
Alba Posts: 35
Member: #1127

1/17/2022  8:25 AM
Philc1 wrote:
SupremeCommander wrote:conceptually, ascquiring 'future firsts' is my favorite type of trade. Otis Thorpe was traded in 1997-98 for a future pick. Because it was the Pistons, they ****ed it up and took Darko Milicic but coud've had Carmelo, Wade, or Bosh. Future picks can sometimes make themselves out to be way more valuable than you might anticipate trading him

I like Sims, and want to discss this more. What has Sims produced in his 6.5 mpg and 1.2/1.7 that leads you to believe this? or are you projecting they'll be the same?

Obi is glorified because his play, while limited, is producing at a statistically meaningful level, people see he has the tools to shine in this league. Do you see those same attributes in Sims?

Sambakick wrote: Gives a whole new meaning to "Jazz Hands"
jaydh
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #96
1/17/2022  8:29 AM
SupremeCommander wrote:
Philc1 wrote:

I like Sims, and want to discss this more. What has Sims produced in his 6.5 mpg and 1.2/1.7 that leads you to believe this? or are you projecting they'll be the same?

Obi is glorified because his play, while limited, is producing at a statistically meaningful level, people see he has the tools to shine in this league. Do you see those same attributes in Sims?

I think watching Sims in the gleague gets you excited for the potential. He does have a hesitancy when in NBA games. The ATL game where he didn't fall for the Young to Capella alley oops had me intrigued. But, I don't see Sims and Obi as the same. Obi should be hitting spot up 3s, taking guys off the dribble; I don't need that from Sims.

Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
1/17/2022  8:33 AM
OBI for the Anti Randle crowd. The “Back up Cult”…….Open concept.
Randle is under the microscope. Trade him after a good game as if other GM”s are dumb. Trade him after a bad game because “we made a mistake”. So many extremes.
We have won 5 of 6. Seems Thibs is getting the formula right and good health matters.
I don’t see any big trade mid season unless presented with an offer we can’t refuse.
I’d like to see Kemba traded to a contender.
Seems we value Grimes as a rotational player.
Seems like EF is playing to his potential with us. With Randle and RJ playing well he is feeding that. With EF playing well he is feeding RJ. With RJ playing well Randle is getting less coverage. See how it all works.
ANd it was done without a trade.

I really like OBI and like to keep him and see if he can create with his own handle and hit an outside shot. How valuable is he to other teams?
Cam has height and length but listed at 210lbs. A bit slight for the 4 still.
Randle is very good. Even better when others are playing to their role.

HoustonSprewell84
Member: #8931

1/17/2022  9:37 AM
Philc1 wrote:

Lol That’s a huge overreach.

Sims was late second round pick for a reason.

I don’t think Obi is ready to start, but I’m not going to disrespect him like that.

MaTT4281
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #538
USA
1/17/2022  10:01 AM
No.

Somebody posted about the Charlie Ward in another thread. We have a history of not hitting on our lottery picks. We hit with Obi, we just didn't plan for Julius to transform himself the way he has.

If we pull the trigger, I need to know exactly what we're getting in return. I'm not parting with him for the next Channing Frye or Jordan Hill.

Would u trade obi for a future 1

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy