[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

With still a month away from the trade deadline, what move or moves can the Knicks make?
Author Thread
houston20
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #8797

1/16/2022  3:37 PM
EwingsGlass wrote:Burks, Kemba and Mitch + 2 1st rd picks for Turner. Would hope to do our best with t protections on those picks.

Fournier, Quickley and 2 1st rd picks and 2 2nd rd picks for Grant. Same feel about the protections, but better to get players in the door.

McBride/Rose
Barrett/Grimes
Grant/Reddish
Randle/Toppin
Turner/Noel

Team doesn’t have a “superstar” or even a top 20 player. But man, I think that 1st team would play pretty amazing bulldog defense and that 2nd team could run around other second units.

I’m giving up a lot of firsts for this team, but I think they would earn out…

Myles turner is out for while foot soreness might be for the season getting second opinion. I rather trade for mo bamba from the magic with nerlens noel out not give up much like obi.
AUTOADVERT
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
1/16/2022  3:37 PM
Rookie wrote:
martin wrote:
Rookie wrote:
martin wrote:
Rookie wrote:
martin wrote:
Rookie wrote:With Zack Levine hurt and the Knicks need for a young PG, could the stars align for a Coby White for Obi trade? We could have Kemba to mentor Coby. He is a scoring guard with a lot of talent and only three months older then RJ

How does this make sense? The Knicks already have like 7 PGs and combo guards who need minutes

It makes sense because I am a Tar Heels fan

OK fair enough but I think the Knicks are all in on Duke and Kentucky

It would make it an interesting locker room. Coby’s stock is rising. Perfect 6th man microwave who is getting better at D and quarterbacking. On the same timeline as the rest of our kids and he’s 6’4”. I believe he still holds the state high school scoring record.

IQ says HI

Coby can play down hill and break defenses down. He can also drive and kick. They would compliment each other. Rose and Kemba are not going to be reliable. Look how long Kemba has been out and he’s not injured. Every time Rose hits the floor I cringe and hope he is ok. McBride has a long way to go. Burks is showing he can play multiple positions but he has no elite skill at anything. He plays at 100% at all times though. Coby is not ready to start yet, but he could be a starter if he continues to improve. The Bulls are a cheap org up against the cap. Coby will be traded.

How often do you see a team trade for a guy who is not a starter when they have like 7 PGs and combo guards on their roster who all are competing for playing time?

It literally makes less sense trading for a backup PG than wanting to because you are a Tar Heels fan.

When Rose comes back do you really see Thibs playing someone like Coby over IQ and Rose and what not?

And then you got to take into account that he is on the same extension timeline as RJ and such, meaning this offseason or next.

Unless the FO is so sure this is your guy, it ain't gonna happen

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
Rookie
Alba Posts: 28
Member: #2274

1/16/2022  3:48 PM
martin wrote:
Rookie wrote:
martin wrote:
Rookie wrote:
martin wrote:
Rookie wrote:
martin wrote:
Rookie wrote:With Zack Levine hurt and the Knicks need for a young PG, could the stars align for a Coby White for Obi trade? We could have Kemba to mentor Coby. He is a scoring guard with a lot of talent and only three months older then RJ

How does this make sense? The Knicks already have like 7 PGs and combo guards who need minutes

It would make it an interesting locker room. Coby’s stock is rising. Perfect 6th man microwave who is getting better at D and quarterbacking. On the same timeline as the rest of our kids and he’s 6’4”. I believe he still holds the state high school scoring record.

IQ says HI

Coby can play down hill and break defenses down. He can also drive and kick. They would compliment each other. Rose and Kemba are not going to be reliable. Look how long Kemba has been out and he’s not injured. Every time Rose hits the floor I cringe and hope he is ok. McBride has a long way to go. Burks is showing he can play multiple positions but he has no elite skill at anything. He plays at 100% at all times though. Coby is not ready to start yet, but he could be a starter if he continues to improve. The Bulls are a cheap org up against the cap. Coby will be traded.

How often do you see a team trade for a guy who is not a starter when they have like 7 PGs and combo guards on their roster who all are competing for playing time?

It literally makes less sense trading for a backup PG than wanting to because you are a Tar Heels fan.

When Rose comes back do you really see Thibs playing someone like Coby over IQ and Rose and what not?

And then you got to take into account that he is on the same extension timeline as RJ and such, meaning this offseason or next.

There are no guarantees that Rose will play this year. Kemba also is facing reality regarding his durability. If we are so deep at PG, how do we not have a PG in the rotation? IQ is the closest thing we have to a PG, but he has played better playing alongside a primary ball handler.

Jmpasq
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #4182

1/16/2022  4:02 PM    LAST EDITED: 1/16/2022  5:14 PM
Knixkik wrote:
martin wrote:
Knixkik wrote:If the Knicks are sold on Brunson and he’s telling his CAA guys he wants to sign there then I’ll offer Obi and Walker for Brunson and a filler like Powell, Kleber or Bullock. Brunson is only 25 and could grow into a VanVleet type. Obi is great, but I see Reddish taking his minutes as a stretch 4 and think he will need another opportunity to really develop.

The one thing that has been telling for me in the Cam trade (and the draft pick trade down maneuvering in previous 2 drafts) is that the Knicks as an organization understand their standing in a trade and use their position to the best advantage they can. It's one thing to trade a top 18 protected pick for Cam, quite another to get a 2025 pick AND $$ for paying off Solomon Hill salary IMO; they knew the exact landscape of Cam value and maximized their return. In previous years, multiple picks or their own 2022 unprotected pick would have been included.

Without any added acknowledgement via media or team, I think the Knicks really like Obi. They know his flaws and know he has a long way to go but I don't think they trade him in this particular scenario and hold him out of trades unless it is for a much better player than Brunson. Right now Obi's value is probably down a hint cause of his minutes. He adds a more reliable jumpshot and more minutes and he value goes waaayyy up and the Knicks know that.

The Knicks know Brunson can walk from the Mavs as an UFA. Mavs know Jalen's dad probably freely talks to the Knicks and they know what type of deal Jalen wants and where he would like to land. IMHO both Leon and Thibs and most of the entire FO have high regard for Jalen as a player.

I agree about how resourceful they are. But I also believe they would absolutely trade Obi for Brunson now without knowing 100% what will happen this summer. Brunson is averaging 20 points and 7 assists in the 15 games Doncic hasn’t played this year. This could be a Fred VanVleet type with the right opportunity. I do agree they love Obi and have an investment in him, but they may be comfortable allowing him an opportunity with the Mavs that he is unlikely to get here. Cam will play plenty of 4 the rest of his career, likely much of it in NY. Obi is getting pinched as his game is reliant on a style of play we probably will never fully commit to. His impact will always be limited to non-Randle minutes on the court. If we traded for someone like Fox, sure. But right now I don’t see an obvious trade to compliment Obi’s skill set. If Brunson ends up being a quality starting PG for this team the next 5+ years, it’s easy to justify trading Toppin for him. But obviously it would be great to get Brunson without giving up Obi too.

Of course they would trade Obi for Brunson. Obi Toppins inability to shoot really hurts his value. I don't see how he fits into the teams longterm plans.He isn't a good fit next to any of our frontcourt players and we don't have the lead guards to unlock his offensive potiental. He isn't a good enough player to build the team around. I think the Reddish trade means he is on his way out

Check out My NFL Draft Prospect Videos at Youtube User Pages Jmpasq,JPdraftjedi,Jmpasqdraftjedi. www.Draftbreakdown.com
Uptown
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #1883

1/16/2022  4:12 PM
martin wrote:
Knixkik wrote:If the Knicks are sold on Brunson and he’s telling his CAA guys he wants to sign there then I’ll offer Obi and Walker for Brunson and a filler like Powell, Kleber or Bullock. Brunson is only 25 and could grow into a VanVleet type. Obi is great, but I see Reddish taking his minutes as a stretch 4 and think he will need another opportunity to really develop.

The one thing that has been telling for me in the Cam trade (and the draft pick trade down maneuvering in previous 2 drafts) is that the Knicks as an organization understand their standing in a trade and use their position to the best advantage they can. It's one thing to trade a top 18 protected pick for Cam, quite another to get a 2025 pick AND $$ for paying off Solomon Hill salary IMO; they knew the exact landscape of Cam value and maximized their return. In previous years, multiple picks or their own 2022 unprotected pick would have been included.

Without any added acknowledgement via media or team, I think the Knicks really like Obi. They know his flaws and know he has a long way to go but I don't think they trade him in this particular scenario and hold him out of trades unless it is for a much better player than Brunson. Right now Obi's value is probably down a hint cause of his minutes. He adds a more reliable jumpshot and more minutes and he value goes waaayyy up and the Knicks know that.

The Knicks know Brunson can walk from the Mavs as an UFA. Mavs know Jalen's dad probably freely talks to the Knicks and they know what type of deal Jalen wants and where he would like to land. IMHO both Leon and Thibs and most of the entire FO have high regard for Jalen as a player.

Brunson is the PG the Knicks should target at the deadline or this summer. First off, Villanova prospects (especially 4 year prospects) are always well-drilled fundamentally, and truly understand how to play the game within a team concept. Brunson is a natural leader and would fit in with this team perfectly. Not only is he good on the ball, but he can play off the ball and still be effective as he demonstrates by sharing the court with Luka. Hopefully, his presence here will take the ball and decision making out of the hands of Julius on most occasions, although we may still need to throw Julius a bone here and there to do his iso-thing. And as I said, Brunson can still be on the floor and effective during these moments. The fact that Brunson is able to average 6 assists per while unevenly sharing ball handling dutis with Luka speaks volumes about his passing abilities.

Brunson is 25 years old, so he fits the timeline. We already know about the connections he has within our organization. With that said, he is playing well for the Mavs and they probably have every intention of re-signing him this summer unless they get a significant offer. Not sure if we have anything on our roster that we are willing to part with that would be enticing to them. Mitch is an interesting piece because he will be a UFA just like Brunson this summer.

Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
1/16/2022  4:35 PM
Coby white got bumped big time and he really is that good? Im ok for a Kemba for Coby swap as a tryout, but the kid just don’t have it yet. IQ is a better player.

I like Brunson, but do Mavs have use for Obi? Whose minutes does he take?

Reality is we not contending and many of these thngs can be taken care of off season.

martin
USA
1/16/2022  4:36 PM
Rookie wrote:
martin wrote:
Rookie wrote:
martin wrote:
Rookie wrote:
martin wrote:
Rookie wrote:
martin wrote:

IQ says HI

There are no guarantees that Rose will play this year. Kemba also is facing reality regarding his durability. If we are so deep at PG, how do we not have a PG in the rotation? IQ is the closest thing we have to a PG, but he has played better playing alongside a primary ball handler.

You are proposing a short term fix without any regard for looking past the fact that Kemba and Rose are currently both hurt and not playing. Playing time, glut at PG and combo guard players, McBride and Rokus just sitting there also waiting for playing time next year, extension coming up for Coby.

The Knicks are currently finding a good groove without either Rose and Kemba.

You are proposing something that is a solution waiting for a problem that really isn't there.

Rookie
Alba Posts: 28
Member: #2274

1/16/2022  6:59 PM
martin wrote:
Rookie wrote:
martin wrote:
Rookie wrote:
martin wrote:
Rookie wrote:
martin wrote:
Rookie wrote:
martin wrote:

IQ says HI

You are proposing a short term fix without any regard for looking past the fact that Kemba and Rose are currently both hurt and not playing. Playing time, glut at PG and combo guard players, McBride and Rokus just sitting there also waiting for playing time next year, extension coming up for Coby.

The Knicks are currently finding a good groove without either Rose and Kemba.

You are proposing something that is a solution waiting for a problem that really isn't there.

It’s not a short term fix. You sign him next year on a team friendly contract it’s going to wind up being a valuable asset. He is going to out perform his next contract. The kid is going to be in this league for a long time and we do not have any PG or guard with his skill set on this team.

jaydh
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #96
1/17/2022  8:15 AM
martin wrote:
jaydh wrote:Mitchell Robinson is a UFA at seasons end. You have to do something with him before then.

Why and No you don't.

Why is there no concern he will go to Dallas with us receiving nothing?

Philc1
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #8897

1/17/2022  8:21 AM
jaydh wrote:
martin wrote:
jaydh wrote:Mitchell Robinson is a UFA at seasons end. You have to do something with him before then.

Why and No you don't.

Agree. Knicks need to extend Mitch long term now.

Philc1

1/17/2022  8:28 AM
Chandler wrote:If the knicks are smart they let the market come to them not vice versa

Agree. The Reddish trade is a good example of this. Not a desperation move, we gave up little and got back a guy who doesn’t make a lot of money who could be a decent 3 and D wing

We aren’t magically solving the pg issue before the trade deadline. Our best hope is the team continues to shoot well like it has during this current hot streak until Kemba and Rose eventually both come back and they stay on the court rest of the season and playoffs

Philc1

1/17/2022  8:29 AM    LAST EDITED: 1/17/2022  8:29 AM

They need to lock him up

jaydh
1/17/2022  8:31 AM
Philc1 wrote:

They need to lock him up

At the very least, offer a contract now to see what he's thinking. His mind may already be made up that he's leaving to go home.

martin
USA
1/17/2022  11:40 AM
jaydh wrote:
martin wrote:

Why and No you don't.

With what cap space is Dallas signing an UFA?

Next year there will be 3 teams with cap space (give or take): Spurs, Magic, Detroit. I think both Detroit and Magic will be top 3 in draft and probably draft a C or PF.

For reference, this site is good with that type of info: https://www.spotrac.com/nba/dallas-mavericks/yearly/cap/

Dallas is in a spot and they have Brunson, Dorian Finney-Smith as UFA who are both heavy in their rotation.

Unless it is a massive overpay, I just don't see how the Knicks wouldn't be a top option for Mitch. Seems like he loves his TV segments and that type of thing, so where else is a desirable landing spot for him?

martin
USA
1/17/2022  11:41 AM
jaydh wrote:
Philc1 wrote:

They need to lock him up

At the very least, offer a contract now to see what he's thinking. His mind may already be made up that he's leaving to go home.

I mean, they probably have?

Also, Mitch can only be offered a contract worth $55M to him, 4 years starting at $12.5M. Wait til offseason and they can offer a bigger contract.

So Mitch has incentive to wait.

jaydh
1/17/2022  12:30 PM
If Dallas grabs Turner I would be less concerned. I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility that Dallas moves Porzingis. But you are right that they would need to clear cap unless Mitch would be open to the mid level to return to Dallas.
martin
USA
1/17/2022  12:38 PM
jaydh wrote:If Dallas grabs Turner I would be less concerned. I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility that Dallas moves Porzingis. But you are right that they would need to clear cap unless Mitch would be open to the mid level to return to Dallas.

I don't think Indiana front office is dreaming of a KP/Sabonis front line

jaydh
1/17/2022  12:40 PM
martin wrote:
jaydh wrote:If Dallas grabs Turner I would be less concerned. I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility that Dallas moves Porzingis. But you are right that they would need to clear cap unless Mitch would be open to the mid level to return to Dallas.

no, but Dallas is dreaming of a Turner/KP front line.

martin
USA
1/17/2022  12:46 PM
jaydh wrote:
martin wrote:

Who they moving to get Turner?

jaydh
1/17/2022  12:49 PM
martin wrote:
jaydh wrote:
martin wrote:

Who they moving to get Turner?

Powell+Stein and 2 1sts? it's not unrealistic

With still a month away from the trade deadline, what move or moves can the Knicks make?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy