AUTOADVERT
Rookie
Alba Posts: 28
Member: #2274

1/15/2022  1:08 PM
martin wrote:
Rookie wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:
smackeddog wrote:So is Thibs unenthusiastic about Cam, or is he hinting or pressuring for a trade of other player on the roster?

Would not say"unenthusiastic" but rather a word not used around here...realistic.

Too many think everyone else's players are stars yet our players are bums. Thibs knows this kid is just a kid and has struggled. He is hoping just like all of us but realistic.
He understand this is not propelling us into top three. All coaches want that game changing trade.
He knows this was not it.

Still in favor of trade and believe Cam can play well. Just didn't like giving up a one. Especially since the Lakers only offered two seconds. Thought Knox and a couple of two's would have got it done. But I am sure Rose tried that first.

I think our staff has a plan for Reddish to succeed.

Step 1 - get him healthy

Step 2 - film and work with assistant coaches to correct a few things

Step 3 - define his role

Step 4 - don’t rush him out there, have a mini off-season until after the all star break/trade deadline. I think this kid is a gym rat like the rest of our youths

Step 5 - cut a hole in the box. Ok, so maybe no step 5

Haha nice on step 5

Good steps for this season but IMHO the bigger discussion and roster maneuvering will also have to fall into place.

From what I have read I think Cam is pushing for an extension, $18+M now. I don't think the Knicks go for that and let him know that he has 1.5 years to work with the staff to get to that spot. This is where the wing whisperer Johnnie Bryant steps in and hopefully provides his best Donovan Mitchell mojo. The Knicks HAVE to provide Cam minutes, significant enough minutes with the ball in his hands, especially next year. Starter? Bench? Don't know.

Reddish will have to have a pre 2020-21 offseason ala Randle. He will have to show enough next year to warrant a significant offer.

Those would be my terms and I think the FO will take that route.

Its pretty amazing. How long has it been since we have had a front office this smart and professional? Each move is a small step forward.

BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

1/15/2022  1:23 PM
martin wrote:
Rookie wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:
smackeddog wrote:So is Thibs unenthusiastic about Cam, or is he hinting or pressuring for a trade of other player on the roster?

Would not say"unenthusiastic" but rather a word not used around here...realistic.

Too many think everyone else's players are stars yet our players are bums. Thibs knows this kid is just a kid and has struggled. He is hoping just like all of us but realistic.
He understand this is not propelling us into top three. All coaches want that game changing trade.

Still in favor of trade and believe Cam can play well. Just didn't like giving up a one. Especially since the Lakers only offered two seconds. Thought Knox and a couple of two's would have got it done. But I am sure Rose tried that first.

Step 1 - get him healthy

Step 3 - define his role

Step 4 - don’t rush him out there, have a mini off-season until after the all star break/trade deadline. I think this kid is a gym rat like the rest of our youths

Haha nice on step 5

Good steps for this season but IMHO the bigger discussion and roster maneuvering will also have to fall into place.

From what I have read I think Cam is pushing for an extension, $18+M now. I don't think the Knicks go for that and let him know that he has 1.5 years to work with the staff to get to that spot. This is where the wing whisperer Johnnie Bryant steps in and hopefully provides his best Donovan Mitchell mojo. The Knicks HAVE to provide Cam minutes, significant enough minutes with the ball in his hands, especially next year. Starter? Bench? Don't know.

Reddish will have to have a pre 2020-21 offseason ala Randle. He will have to show enough next year to warrant a significant offer.

Honestly, I have no problem giving up a protected first-rounder to kick the tires on Reddish. I think it's realistic for Reddish to turn into a Trevor Ariza type of wing. Those are valuable. Ariza is pretty much washed and is still collecting NBA checks. The danger is that his agents at Klutch try to pressure the Knicks into giving Cam a role he isn't quite ready for. Leon and friends are savvy enough not to be bullied in that situation if it develops.
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
Uptown
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #1883

1/15/2022  1:45 PM    LAST EDITED: 1/15/2022  3:41 PM
martin wrote:
Rookie wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:

Step 1 - get him healthy

Step 3 - define his role

Haha nice on step 5

Not only is Bryant the player whisperer, but he is also the coach whisperer. He jumps off the bench and whispers in Thibs ear on the sidelines during live action. I've seen Thibs call timeouts and sub in players after Bryant whispered to Thibs. I also think Bryant is the glue guy that connects most of the players to the coaching staff. Bryant is respected in NBA circles for his player development and he's young enough to relate to the players and speak their language. Love that he is on this staff and when the time is right, hope he gets a legit shot to sit in the head coaches chair.

There is no way the Front office brought Cam here, for him not to play. But in order to provide Cam with the minutes he needs, a roster move or 2 has to be made. Keep in mind, Rose will be back in another month or so. Cam's injury will buy us some time, but we probably wont see consistent minutes for Cam until next year. If we continue to win and play the way we have been playing over the last week, not sure Thibs will be on board with making a major move right now.

Sambakick
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #5646

1/15/2022  3:16 PM
HofstraBBall wrote:

Follow this train of thought:

Lakers were offering two two's and Atlanta wanted a 1st round pick. Knicks didn't want to give up a top-18 protected first. Would've been Knicks preference to trade the charlotte pick to a team at the bottom of the first round, say the 25th selection, and pick up another asset from that team (future #2 pick) and then send that #25 to Atlanta so they get Reddish plus a future pick. BUT when Atlanta was willing to pony up the 2nd round pick in 2025 the Knicks didn't need to do anything like what I mentioned above.

Everything in moderation. Even moderation.
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
1/15/2022  6:06 PM
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
Swishfm3
Member: #392
1/15/2022  7:58 PM
martin wrote:IMHO one of the tell tale signs of not having enough BBIQ

Exactly...the kid can play, no question about that.

If he ever figures out the other stuff, he will be a force to be reckon with. Maybe Nate will be that Coach to help him understand the game better

Clean
Member: #743
1/16/2022  12:42 PM
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
1/16/2022  1:51 PM
Reddish wanted out before the season. This is interesting. Im curious how this all plays out with him the rest of the season.
Also if Knox can get in ATL rotations via injury or do they lighten up via trade.
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
1/16/2022  2:26 PM
Haha not bad

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
Jimbo5
Member: #8854

1/16/2022  7:29 PM    LAST EDITED: 1/16/2022  7:30 PM
Reddish finally speaks! As expected he said all the right things in the presser. I like the kid's confidence, he wants to be a star, imagine doing that in the biggest stage in the NBA. If both RJ and Reddish can be stars, the knicks future can look bright.

I hope everyone(FO, Thibs and Cam) are all on the same page. Cam had an interview last summer and seems to be looking for consistent minutes and a role of being more of a playmaker/ facilitator. And we all heard Thibs' stands about playing time. I hope everyone can be on the same page. Im abit worried.

NYKMentality
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #4385

1/17/2022  12:13 AM
I still can not believe how our Front Office was able to finally throw away Kevin Knox but then somehow also steal Cam Reddish away from ATL.

New York could become big time winners here.

@ 6'8 and with a 7'1 wing span if coach Thibs can tap into this kids untapped potential and develop him into a Defensive Dog? NY could then feature two Defensive Perimeter Show Stoppers on the wing(s) in R.J. Barrett and now Cam Reddish.

This kid just dropped a career high 34 points vs. Orlando (December 22nd of 2021) and then only a couple of days later goes out there and drops another 33 points vs. Chicago (December 27th of 2021).

Reunited once again. But this time in NYC. And I think the overall confidence of Cam Reddish is going to sky rocket once playing alongside of his Duke brother in R.J. Barrett.

▪︎ Cam Reddish or not the Atlanta Hawks look to be in trouble here in 2021-2022. And it just feels to me like Cam Reddish could be getting used as some type of Atlanta Hawks scape goat around the league. For reasons on why they're struggling.

Because Atlanta as a team?

• 0-2 since their big trade.

• 17-25 overall (now 8 games below .500).

• Riding a 5 game losing streak.

• They've now lost 15 out of their last 20 games (5-15).

• 0-3 against the Knicks.

Etc.

All of this can't fall on Cam Reddish, can it?

▪︎This Atlanta trade. Smells like a move being made out of desperation (after failing in the Eastern Conference Finals last year) but for NY it just feels as if the Knicks Front Office (with the advice of R.J. Barrett) are the opportunist who's now looking to take advantage of another teams desperation.

NY gave up nothingness (Knox + a draft pick that was lottery protected + another 3 1st round picks and 6 2nd round picks throughout the next two NBA drafts).

▪︎ Atlanta (with Cam Reddish) this year have gone 15-19 (.441%) but yet they've only gone 2-6 during the 8 games that he's missed this year (.250%).

In closing...

▪︎Maybe leaving ATL for NYC is the greatest thing that could've ever happened to Cam Reddish by finally escaping ATL?

• Because maybe it's the Atlanta Hawks who were the 1 hit wonders last year?

• So maybe it's the Hawks coaching staff who struggles with rotations and couldn't put Cam Reddish in positions for success (like Coach K did @ Duke)?

Maybe.
Just maybe.

It's going to become coach Thibs as the man. Who turns Cam Reddish into an All-Star (as he did for a 26 year old Julius Randle and now on the verge of doing it for a soon to be R.J. Barrett who's still only 21 years old).

And that's by coach Thibbs first and foremost surrounding Cam Reddish alongside of a hungry team. With a bunch of hungry dogs for teammates.

Followed by then unleashing this kid out of Duke after tapping into his max potential @ the same time. Especially on the defensive side of the court (as he develops and becomes coach Thibs 22 year old perimeter show stopper with a 7'1 wing span @ 6'8.

☆☆☆And from there both R.J. Barrett and Cam Reddish can win together. On the same court as one another. As they once did as Duke brothers alongside of each other?

TheGame
Member: #1154
USA
1/17/2022  1:55 AM
Sambakick wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:

Follow this train of thought:

Lakers were offering two two's and Atlanta wanted a 1st round pick. Knicks didn't want to give up a top-18 protected first. Would've been Knicks preference to trade the charlotte pick to a team at the bottom of the first round, say the 25th selection, and pick up another asset from that team (future #2 pick) and then send that #25 to Atlanta so they get Reddish plus a future pick. BUT when Atlanta was willing to pony up the 2nd round pick in 2025 the Knicks didn't need to do anything like what I mentioned above.

Good analysis of the Knicks thinking. This has been Rose’s MO since he got here.

Trust the Process
NYKMentality
Member: #4385

1/20/2022  3:50 PM
How bad and/or how serious is Cam Reddish's injury?

Because yet again. Once again. He's listed and ruled out for tonight's game vs. New Orleans.

I'm already getting frustrated with it.

knicks1248
Member: #582
1/20/2022  4:01 PM
NYKMentality wrote:How bad and/or how serious is Cam Reddish's injury?

Because yet again. Once again. He's listed and ruled out for tonight's game vs. New Orleans.

The knicks just traded for an injured player, are you surprised?

I'm not saying I don't like the trade, I'm just saying this is nothing new

ES
blkexec
Member: #748
1/20/2022  4:18 PM    LAST EDITED: 1/20/2022  4:21 PM

As someone who had 2 achilles surgeries, Cam only played what 25 games last year. And he took the non surgical route to fix his achilles. You would think thats good news right? wrong. Surgery is actually a quicker healing process. Surgery fixed the achilles vs non surgery, it's up to your body to do the healing. And that always takes longer. The issue is in the lower calf area, theres less blood flow, and you need those blood cells to help with recovery.

So when Cam had issues with his ankle again this year, after that 30 pt explosion, you have to lean on the side of caution, because he's still healing. The down fall of the non-surgical procedure on lower calf injuries, especially the achilles.

Born in Brooklyn, Raised in Queens, Lives in Maryland. The future is bright, I'm a Knicks fan for life!
KnickDanger
Member: #7578

1/20/2022  4:30 PM
blkexec wrote:

As someone who had 2 achilles surgeries, Cam only played what 25 games last year. And he took the non surgical route to fix his achilles. You would think thats good news right? wrong. Surgery is actually a quicker healing process. Surgery fixed the achilles vs non surgery, it's up to your body to do the healing. And that always takes longer. The issue is in the lower calf area, theres less blood flow, and you need those blood cells to help with recovery.

So when Cam had issues with his ankle again this year, after that 30 pt explosion, you have to lean on the side of caution, because he's still healing. The down fall of the non-surgical procedure on lower calf injuries, especially the achilles.

Which may be why we were able to get him at the price we did.

foosballnick
Member: #3148

1/20/2022  4:59 PM
knicks1248 wrote:

Just curious - what other injured players have the Knicks traded for that would make this "nothing new"?

Clean
Member: #743
1/20/2022  6:21 PM
foosballnick wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:

Just curious - what other injured players have the Knicks traded for that would make this "nothing new"?

I am on no ones side on this topic but just wanted to answer this specific question because one instantly popped into my head. Antonio McDyess.

Rookie
Alba Posts: 28
Member: #2274

1/20/2022  6:28 PM
blkexec wrote:

Thanks for that.

Woj: Cam Reddish to KNICKS, Knox out

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy